NBC's coverage of the Sochi Olympics

Quaker2001

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So apparently a reporter made Bode Miller cry with unprofessional questioning?

Pretty sure losing his brother made him cry, but yea, that was not a good interview. That whole block of Alpine was ridiculous. I had watched the race online last night, so I knew what was coming, but good grief Charlie Brown, did we really need to hear from the wife after every friggin skier?

I had watched the race online last night, so I knew what was coming, but good grief Charlie Brown, did we really need to hear from the wife after every friggin skier?

What was up with that? Is it because he has a hot beach volleyball Olympian wife? Because he's one of the biggest US stars here? I honestly don't think I've ever seen them do that before - I mean, they clearly had a mic on her. I'd love to know what made them think to do it.

What was up with that? Is it because he has a hot beach volleyball Olympian wife? Because he's one of the biggest US stars here? I honestly don't think I've ever seen them do that before - I mean, they clearly had a mic on her. I'd love to know what made them think to do it.

Because he's Bode Miller, they have a feature in the can ready to go for him, they know this might be his last good shot at a medal, so why not put a mic on her. Maybe you get something good. Goes without saying they took it a little too far, but not the first time NBC has gotten audio from a family member like that

Television schedule set for Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games

NBC Olympics and the United States Olympic Committee will present an unprecedented 52 hours of coverage of the upcoming Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games across NBC and NBCSN including 27 hours of live coverage, beginning with the Opening Ceremony on March 7 at 11 a.m. ET on NBCSN. TeamUSA.org will live stream all events from the Paralympic Winter Games.

Aside from a slight uptick on Monday, primetime viewership is really sagging since last Friday. Only 18.5 million viewers last night:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/02/19/tv-ratings-tuesday-the-olympics-down-american-idol-dips-killer-women-hits-low/237912/

We'll see how much ladies' figure skating saves them over the next few nights. They're barely staying ahead of the Torino numbers at this point. I'm sure NBC is thrilled with the NBCSN numbers (which seems to be the big focus for these Games), but they have to be somewhat disappointed in primetime. Aside from a few reality shows, the other networks are running repeats against the Olympics, whereas they programmed aggressively against the Games in 2006. Barely staying ahead of the Torino numbers with little competition is not all that great.

So they show the Paralympic opening live, but not the Olympic one...

But it's 11am (Friday, EST). It won't be shown on primetime. U have to accept that the WOG Opening Ceremony is reserved for primetime becuz that is when NBC can get the biggest bang for its buck both for itself and its advertisers. They CANNOT do that by showing something live at 8:00am (well West Coast time). It is a business; that's all it is.

Am enjoying their coverage on ther other 2 channels as well. Well, my HDTV helps.

I've found myself increasingly tuning out of NBC Sochi primetime as the days go on. The poor judgment and callousness shown during the pursuit of most of the "human interest" stories have me clicking my remote button to some other non-sports program whenever they come on. Then when some actual sports events are going on that I didn't catch earlier on NBCSN or other source, I tune back in for the segment.

RE: Figure skating on NBCSN. Terry Gannon is always a keeper, Johnny Weir's a keeper (and yes I love to see what he's wearing each day!). I am not sold on Tara Lipinski--I don't think she adds to the technical analysis like Weir does (not surprising, she didn't skate under COP system) but there's a tendency to too many inane comments or reminisces about herself during programs. She's the one with the snark; Johnny is actually very respectful even when he's making criticisms of specific programs. One big thing: neither Weir or Lipinski are knowledgeable enough about ice dancing to do meaningful commentary--NBC needs to augment future teams on live coverage with an ice dancer from the not-too-distant past.

I've found myself increasingly tuning out of NBC Sochi primetime as the days go on. The poor judgment and callousness shown during the pursuit of most of the "human interest" stories have me clicking my remote button to some other non-sports program whenever they come on. Then when some actual sports events are going on that I didn't catch earlier on NBCSN or other source, I tune back in for the segment.

RE: Figure skating on NBCSN. Terry Gannon is always a keeper, Johnny Weir's a keeper (and yes I love to see what he's wearing each day!). I am not sold on Tara Lipinski--I don't think she adds to the technical analysis like Weir does (not surprising, she didn't skate under COP system) but there's a tendency to too many inane comments or reminisces about herself during programs. She's the one with the snark; Johnny is actually very respectful even when he's making criticisms of specific programs. One big thing: neither Weir or Lipinski are knowledgeable enough about ice dancing to do meaningful commentary--NBC needs to augment future teams on live coverage with an ice dancer from the not-too-distant past.

Maybe they'll have Tanith Belbin do the ice dance commentary next time.

I think we're witnessing a changing of the guard before our eyes. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if come 2018 that any or all of Gannon, Weir, and Lipinski are on the varsity squad. Seemed like NBC brass was hesitant to put them in primetime because of a lack of experience. Having now done an Olympics, they'll be ready for primetime, both figuratively and literally, come 2018.

I think we're witnessing a changing of the guard before our eyes. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if come 2018 that any or all of Gannon, Weir, and Lipinski are on the varsity squad. Seemed like NBC brass was hesitant to put them in primetime because of a lack of experience. Having now done an Olympics, they'll be ready for primetime, both figuratively and literally, come 2018.

I'm okay with that, as long as Ryan Seacrest is not involved.

Archived