NBC's coverage of the Sochi Olympics

Quaker2001

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They ran credits at the end of the afternoon show. And they did do a Rio preview segments. No, they did not reveal the logo to an event 2 1/2 years away.

Oh, bummer. I turned off the afternoon coverage when they were re-showing the Jessica Long adoption segment from yesterday. Nice piece, but didn't need to rewatch it. Ugh, wish I'd seen the Rio preview.

They ran credits at the end of the afternoon show. And they did do a Rio preview segments. No, they did not reveal the logo to an event 2 1/2 years away.

In previous NBC olympic broadcastss, there are always credits during the last daytime broadcast (sometimes the last Friday and Sunday), consisting of a piece I don't know, and then popular music of that time, with thye usual montage. Later Bob Costas previews the next games, and the Closing Ceremony, they have Bob Costas do his usual epic speech, followed by an altered credits montage with the usual Randy Edelman pieces. THEN, they play an epic, well-edited trailer for the next games with the guy who announces the promos, sponsors, "still to come", "tomorrow" segments, etc. (Bill St. James)

I am So disappointed on NBC coverage. The Commentaries on OC and CC, the Commercials, the Cuts-Off, the "focus ONLY on Americans athletes " etc... I am convince to to order International TV fee for RIO 2016...

I really like the Prime-time set, and Intro pice before OC.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/25/sports/olympics/coverage-of-olympic-games-delivers-a-win-for-nbc.html?_r=0

Interesting stat in this article--the median age of the primetime viewer for the Sochi Games was over 55 years old, which is up considerably from 48 in 2002. Even though the streaming numbers were up, it doesn't appear that all of the new extreme events are doing much to attract younger viewers to the Games.

An interesting article in Slate about NBC's coverage. Apologies if this has already been posted-- though I couldn't find that it has.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/fivering_circus/2014/02/nbc_olympics_the_network_s_coverage_of_the_sochi_games_is_reality_tv_masquerading.html

I hadn't seen it yet, but good find. Not exactly a major revelation.. people have been likening NBC's Olympic coverage to reality TV for some time now.

The manner NBC promotes the Olympics indeed has taken on reality TV proportions. With them being so cheap to produce with solid financial returns over the years, that's the US TV landscape it shapes and impacts the Olympics--even posing what's scripted.

I worked a lot for much of Sochi 2014 (still do) and could only rely on watching the primetime segment on the late night encore presentation, since I have no laptop, digital satelitte/DVR, smartphone to catch up when I want and work around that. Did doze off to sleep and left it running when it was on a few days. Maybe Rio...

Hopefully the online stuff is where I'll catch up.

Geez people, give it a rest! Many uninformed American viewers unfairly attack it for not being patriotic enough when Davis and White's medal ceremony wasn't shown instead dealing with the flower ceremony (among other gripes and slights reported and linked below on Slate). Many of them fail to understand how US Olympic TV works and its structure:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/fivering_circus/2014/02/olympics_rage_o_meter_flag_waving_poorly_informed_americans_are_mad_at_nbc.html

Archived