Rio de Janeiro 2016 Ceremonies

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let the polemics begin!

For sure, carnaval-like costumes, samba music, some portions dedicated to the rest of Brazil, a very small portion about South America, lots of references to nature, wild life, sea, green forests and everything very colorful (almost hurting your eyes).

Somehow, they will insert, in a very subtle way, the message Brazil is emerging in the global stage, and some new "entertainment-fx" technology will be unveiled (maybe the 3D laser - oooops, I said that?).

And at the end the cauldron (sun shaped, over the new and stronger roof of Maracana - gotcha?) will be lit by some old legend of soccer, making Americans here in GB even more angry with the Brazilian passion about soccer and flooding the forums with hundreds of comments against Rio, Maracana, soccer and Brazil. :rolleyes:

The international media will say the ceremonies were brillant and almost perfect and Brazilian media will say the ceremonies showed the same old clichés about Brazil, no matter how nice and beautiful the ceremony can be.

How I know that? I come back from future! :P

Just kidding, that's the cliché-most ceremony Rio can do.

Volleyball athlete to light the cauldron: Nuzman's personal dream for sure.

Uh-uh. Juliana Paes to LIGHT the cauldron in all her natural glory!! After all, after I posted her here, Rio went on to win 2016. ;)

What do you want the Rio de Janeiro 2016 Team Ceremonies to do and if you get what would you like to plans for it?

I am not on the Team but want to open up this topic it will be very interesting to see what people think about it.

Even I wouldn't attempt this yet. Jeez. Well, what do you really think will be said: Spectacular! Original! Ground-breaking! Breath-taking! All the usual cliches.

Wait for the Handover Ceremony in London next year. That will be the first indication of what may or may not appear at the actual Rio ceremonies.

It'll probably be Pele to light the cauldron.

I don't think so, Pelé never played a match in Olympic Games and he already lit the cauldron for the World Military Games.

IMHO, Brazil did this to kick Pelé out of any chance of being the one to lit the cauldron in 2016.

the only place can pass Beijings ceremony is rio i guess...

and as im sure pink dolphins and some other endemic amazon creatures will be the mascots :)

makes me exciting:S

Some pink dolphins In Rio??? Sorry, I think it won't be them (no pink dolphins in Rio area) or an exclusive-amazon region animal...

Still, also excited to see the mascots!!! smile.gif

the only place can pass Beijings ceremony is rio i guess...

We hope yes and also hoping Istanbul to make a better ceremony than Rio! And then Durban better than Istanbul, and then........

cool.gif

• 2 months later...

Quite frankly I think Rio will put on a really fun Opening ceremony but let's be real we aren't going to see an awe inspiring opening ceremony like Beijing until an EXTREMLY rich middle eastern country (DOHA) gets the Games if ever they do. Ceremonies like beijing's cost money to produce and no one is shelling out those figures again until an oil rich nation gets the go ahead

Quite frankly I think Rio will put on a really fun Opening ceremony but let's be real we aren't going to see an awe inspiring opening ceremony like Beijing until an EXTREMLY rich middle eastern country (DOHA) gets the Games if ever they do. Ceremonies like beijing's cost money to produce and no one is shelling out those figures again until an oil rich nation gets the go ahead

What's exactly your point? Lack of money or organization (which is ridiculous for the 6th biggest economy of the world) or a childish prejudice over a "third-world" country?

Not a olympian. Plus, football has too much attention in Brazil already and I'm sure other athletes would protest if a football player stole their thunder. Let Ronaldo light the cauldron of the World Cup...Oh Wait!

After all the mess Ronaldo did with Flamengo supporters (about 65% of Rio ppl and Flamengo has the biggest number of supporters nationwide)...

It would be better to (new-paulista) Ronaldo even avoid be in Rio during the games.

I hope they make a reference to Pedro Alvares Cabral and D. Pedro

People in Brazil really does not care much about Brazil's history or "history heros", indeed, I do think the ceremony will be more about the future of the "once sleeping giant" than about the past, specially the Portuguese part of it.

Sorry about that, but people in Brazil is really not proud about Portuguese heritage, specially due slavery and exploration of natural resources...

We are curious about our history, but not exactly proud of it.

Not a olympian. Plus, football has too much attention in Brazil already and I'm sure other athletes would protest if a football player stole their thunder. Let Ronaldo light the cauldron of the World Cup...Oh Wait!

Who told you that Ronaldo was not an olympian?

He played in the national team in 1996 Games in Atlanta and left with a bronze medal. Not only he is an olympic athlete, but also an olympic medalist.

People in Brazil really does not care much about Brazil's history or "history heros", indeed, I do think the ceremony will be more about the future of the "once sleeping giant" than about the past, specially the Portuguese part of it.

Sorry about that, but people in Brazil is really not proud about Portuguese heritage, specially due slavery and exploration of natural resources...

We are curious about our history, but not exactly proud of it.

I'm not fluent in Brazillian History but from what I know they should'n be ashamed of it, it's not as proud or significant as English, French or Portuguese History but it should be celebrated as well, even Slavery was important, Brazil would be a totally different country today if it haven't had slavery, the music, culture and brazillian way of being would be completely different.

Myles, you mean Giselle Bundchen.

In terms of the cultural programme of the ceremony, I really hope they'll include the beautiful Tom Jobim song "Aguas de Março". They did that already in the 2007 Pan American Games opening ceremony, and I think they did that marvellously (and note the cheer of the audience when they recognise the song which was chosen as best Brazilian song ever a couple of years ago). As I said recently in the "relaxing songs" thread: This song is such a beautiful hymn to life.

(starting at 2:49)

Dannyelbrazil

What's exactly your point? Lack of money or organization (which is ridiculous for the 6th biggest economy of the world) or a childish prejudice over a "third-world" country?

1st off I live in the US but I am from what some may consider a third-world so I calm down on the whole prejudice thing.

2nd Beijing awed the word because they showed them something completely new when it came to an opening ceremony. they had 10,000 performers none of which repeated so that meant 10,000 costumes to make and we can all say those costumes did not look cheap . add in the cutting edge technology and you have an amazing set of games.

I am actually looking forward to Rio I think it will definitely provide a unique taste of the games but the reality of the situation is, that ever country that hosts a games will provide a unique spin due to it's culture being unique it is only when a country hosts the games multiple times that you can really compare. I loved Athens opening ceremony but it was different from beijing. The awe of Beijing came with the magnitude of their presentation. Some people may not like what Beijing did but they will admit they created an opening ceremony that would be remembered for ages by people who don't study opening ceremonies as indept as we do.

Just because Brazil has the 6th largest economy doesn't necessarily mean you are in the same league as China it just means you're sixth. 41 billion dollars was spent on the 2008 olympic games, over 100 million was spent on the opening ceremony alone.

My point was simply we are not going to see that kind of extravagance when it comes to the games until another country (with something to prove) comes on the scene. Rio will most likely create one of the most festive opening ceremonies but after seeing the 2007 panam opening ceremony there is work to do.

Myles, you mean Giselle Bundchen.

In terms of the cultural programme of the ceremony, I really hope they'll include the beautiful Tom Jobim song "Aguas de Março". They did that already in the 2007 Pan American Games opening ceremony, and I think they did that marvellously (and note the cheer of the audience when they recognise the song which was chosen as best Brazilian song ever a couple of years ago). As I said recently in the "relaxing songs" thread: This song is such a beautiful hymn to life.

(starting at 2:49)

I also predict Aguas do Marco and New Wave will be performed at either the opening or closing ceremonies (Cidade Maravilhosa and Aquarela do Brasil are technicaly a fact that they will show up...those are like Brazil second anthems :lol: ) I would also like that they use the Overture from the Il Guarany brazilian opera again for the entrance for the flags just like in Rio 2007 (that was an epic track)

Anyway..does somebody knows if the creative team for the handover ceremony has been picked? Or when are they going to announce it?

I'm not fluent in Brazillian History but from what I know they should'n be ashamed of it, it's not as proud or significant as English, French or Portuguese History but it should be celebrated as well, even Slavery was important, Brazil would be a totally different country today if it haven't had slavery, the music, culture and brazillian way of being would be completely different.

I didn't say we are ashamed of Portuguese part of Brazilian history... Or we don't like the Portuguese heritage, actually, Brazilians love to be the only country in America with a different and beautiful language (our variant of Portuguese language), but at the same time, you will never see a Brazilian "proud" of the colonial history of the country or about what Portuguese empire made with indians, black people, not to mention all resources they robbed from this land - Brazilians really don't like it.

And about the african influence on the culture, this is really Brazilian, since meanwhile Brazil was a colony of Portugal black people were not allowed to express themselves, only after the independende, it started the long process of abolishment of slavery and acceptance of black culture.

Dannyelbrazil

1st off I live in the US but I am from what some may consider a third-world so I calm down on the whole prejudice thing.

2nd Beijing awed the word because they showed them something completely new when it came to an opening ceremony. they had 10,000 performers none of which repeated so that meant 10,000 costumes to make and we can all say those costumes did not look cheap . add in the cutting edge technology and you have an amazing set of games.

I am actually looking forward to Rio I think it will definitely provide a unique taste of the games but the reality of the situation is, that ever country that hosts a games will provide a unique spin due to it's culture being unique it is only when a country hosts the games multiple times that you can really compare. I loved Athens opening ceremony but it was different from beijing. The awe of Beijing came with the magnitude of their presentation. Some people may not like what Beijing did but they will admit they created an opening ceremony that would be remembered for ages by people who don't study opening ceremonies as indept as we do.

Just because Brazil has the 6th largest economy doesn't necessarily mean you are in the same league as China it just means you're sixth. 41 billion dollars was spent on the 2008 olympic games, over 100 million was spent on the opening ceremony alone.

My point was simply we are not going to see that kind of extravagance when it comes to the games until another country (with something to prove) comes on the scene. Rio will most likely create one of the most festive opening ceremonies but after seeing the 2007 panam opening ceremony there is work to do.

Still, money is not a problem for Brazil. US$ 100 million means nothing even to Rio de Janeiro state year budget...

The gianteness of the ceremonies can mean nothing... Indeed, IMHO, Athens OC was better than Beijing one - It's a matter of taste.

Probably Rio will be more festive than Beijing, this is characteristic of Brazilian parties. About size, we don't know. Maybe Eike Batista, a very extravagant billionaire from Rio (already spent 100 million with Rio bid) wants to make the party even bigger...

Money pays all.

Archived