South Africa will not bid for 2020

Rob2012

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1964 Tokyo, not Asia, in Mars

1972 Sapporo, not Asia, in Moon

I know that, SPAMBOT!! They were first promised to Japan in 1940...the IOC just took their time making it up to the Japs. But everything else since, has fallen in the "8" years, duh!!

Just as the Winter Games return to the US every 20 years or so going by the last 3:

Squaw Valley 1960,

Lake Placid 1980,

Salt Lake 2002;

so maybe they'll come back to the US with Reno 2022 again.

'Bots just can't think "exceptions: and "Olympism," can they???

I promess you if Annecy win in 2018, I will be the first supporter to Busan 2020 ;)

N I promise u, if PyeongChang wins 2018, then I will be the first supporter of Paris 2020! :P

I can see Paris coming out now. Roma, alert!

I agree. After todays news, surely they'd must, at the very least, re-evaluate their intentions on whether or not to bid. Since this news from South Africa truelly does change the dynamics of the 2020 race.

But do you think it is a partial recognition that Durban is not the right city especially knowing that the IOC has a taste for the glamour cities (Sydney, London, Rio)? Cape Town is more of the glamour city for South Africa but of course they were not hungry to bid.

I doubt it. Every one, at least here, was in agreement that at least the weather was far better in Durban than in Cape Town for the Olympic time-frame. Not to mention the sporting infrastructure is better there as well. I've always looked at Durban as the Melbourne of South Africa.

It's pretty black-&-White, to say the least, that the IOC has 'exclusively' a taste for glamor cities, since we all know that every race is different & the ultimate winner is picked for different reasons in different races.

I doubt it. Every one, at least here, was in agreement that at least the weather was far better in Durban than in Cape Town for the Olympic time-frame. Not to mention the sporting infrastructure is better there as well. I've always looked at Durban as the Melbourne of South Africa.

It's pretty black-&-White, to say the least, that the IOC has 'exclusively' a taste for glamor cities, since we all know that every race is different & the ultimate winner is picked for different reasons in different races.

This decision has little to do with Durban (although I've been told otherwise), but SASCOC has turned down 2 summons to Parliament.

It was going to be a push given service delivery issues and their non-appearance, that when they do pitch up to parliament that an R80bn project would be approved.

This excludes the allegations and petition against SASCOC.

Bidding 101: Get your National Olympic Body's ducks in a row before bidding.

Why?? North America would be due for a Summer Games 30 years, Asia would have at 20 years before that.

No one is "due" an Olympic Games. The IOC went 36 years between North American before (1932-1968), & apparently they can do so again.

And with Rio being only two hours ahead of the Eastern Time Zone, that aspect most likely isn't on the IOC's radar at the moment.

No one is "due" an Olympic Games. The IOC went 36 years between North American before (1932-1968), & apparently they can do so again.

And with Rio being only two hours ahead of the Eastern Time Zone, that aspect most likely isn't on the IOC's radar at the moment.

Ahh ahh except Europe, they get theirs every other time.

Ahh ahh except Europe, they get theirs every other time.

I've come to understand why. It has the most capable countries bunched together in a small area. And after all, almost all of the sports played are Euro- (or North American-originated).

But when the jet age (late 1950s) came about, they certainly threw the Games out there, even with an old Europhile curmudgeon like Avery Brundage at the helm. And until then, it was just much easier for countries where most of the athletes were coming from, to gather in a more convenient location, rather than in some far-flung corner.

At this point, it's RSA's doing to bypass the opportunity, and they may be doing so responsibly. But what is bizarre is that they so readily agreed to tackle the more ambitious World Cup spending what? $12.5 billion but are afraid to invest another $4.5 billion for a more varied feast? :rolleyes: .

We here at GB are excited for a new horizon, but...and Michelle will probably be the happiest at this latest development, they seem to have their priorities in order. But we'll see if the IOC can convince them to plunge in foolishly again.

Yes, I know, and I'm not saying Rome can't bid and get the 2020 Olympics, just that I don't like forgetting about Turin 2006 to strengthen Rome's chances for 2020. The same way I could forget about Seoul 1988, Barcelona 1992, Nagano 1998, Vancouver 2010, etc. and it would be absurd!

Like it or not, Turin was there. It may have no effect on Rome 2020, but simply forgetting about them is kind of nonsense to me.

It's not about forgetting it's about recognizing that 2006 games were not-so-memorable to international audiences and not for technical issues but simply because that's the trend for almost every winter games. I mean a part for Lillehammer and maybe Salt Lake City no other edition can be said to have been particulary memorable.

The Winters have generally been very regional an localized an that has been even more evident for Italy, a country way more focused on summer sports than the winters. Don't forget that the 1960 summer games turned out to be very memorable for the olympic movement.

I'm just going by the "8's for Asia" pattern that has held so far:

1968 - Mexico (well, the pre-Colombian peoples are from Asia, so technically, it was an "Asian" Games ;)

1988 - Seoul

1998 - Nagano

2008 - Beijing

2018 - possibly, PyongChang

and I don't think Tokyo is a strong candidate for 2020 should it run...so

2028 - looks more likely for Tokyo to me...

Do you think the pattern can be broken? Can Canada beat Japan?

Do you think the pattern can be broken? Can Canada beat Japan?

But it may NOT be just a Canada-Japan head-off. Depending on how the previous awards stack up (or down), that'll more or less determine the succeeding hosts. It's just way too early to handicap 2028. But from 2008, and if say, Durban goes for 2024, then 2028 will favor an Asian entry. As FYI already explained, Rio's winning 2016 more or less, in the crossed-eyes of the IOC, takes care of an Americas' summer hosting for at least 3 rounds. And I think a U.S. summer bid would be more attractive to the IOC than a Canadian one -- I would if I knew which side of my bread is buttered. Plus, the U.S. is still the #1 power in the summer sports. That's a major factor over Canada.

I've come to understand why. It has the most capable countries bunched together in a small area. And after all, almost all of the sports played are Euro- (or North American-originated).

Europe also has more participants and medal winners than any other continent. I did a little research, and if I recall correctly Europe received something like 52% of the medals over the past 30 years.

Europe also has more participants and medal winners than any other continent. I did a little research, and if I recall correctly Europe received something like 52% of the medals over the past 30 years.

because we send much more athletes...

But it may NOT be just a Canada-Japan head-off. Depending on how the previous awards stack up (or down), that'll more or less determine the succeeding hosts. It's just way too early to handicap 2028. But from 2008, and if say, Durban goes for 2024, then 2028 will favor an Asian entry. As FYI already explained, Rio's winning 2016 more or less, in the crossed-eyes of the IOC, takes care of an Americas' summer hosting for at least 3 rounds. And I think a U.S. summer bid would be more attractive to the IOC than a Canadian one -- I would if I knew which side of my bread is buttered. Plus, the U.S. is still the #1 power in the summer sports. That's a major factor over Canada.

Lets out it this way, the USA wins the 2022 WOG, does this favour Canada for a summer Olympic bid? Does Toronto hosting the 2015PAG help its cause as it did for Rio? If South Africa decides not to bid for 2024 who are the favourites then?

Lets out it this way, the USA wins the 2022 WOG, does this favour Canada for a summer Olympic bid? Does Toronto hosting the 2015PAG help its cause as it did for Rio? If South Africa decides not to bid for 2024 who are the favourites then?

I doubt 2022 will go to the USA. It will probably go to this years loser.

All this hypothical "what ifs" to try & line-up the stars for Canada is almost to the point of ridiculous. All of this has been discussed already in much older threads, anyway.

It's just way too early to determine that. The geopolitcal factors alone don't favor a Canadian bid in the short-time, not to mention that Vancouver was just last year.

Again, nobody remember those games happen. :huh:

As for Madrid, late news from Spain don't seem to encourage any olympic bid. Paris is the next most likely to come from Europe to me.

I agree on the first part... Do someone really think that the Spanish Government will back a bid facing the crisis they are going through actually !!!!

On the second part, most of you know my statement of on mostly unrealistic bid of Paris, except if someone know how to bid without your mayor... and if someone is able to propose a real great concept for Paris actually (all the project in term of sport infrastructures actually have nothing to deal with a games concept... too spread all around Paris !!!)

But, that true that for any EU city, in case of victory of PC for 2018, it will be crazy to let Roma go alone in this bidding process.....

All this hypothical "what ifs" to try & line-up the stars for Canada is almost to the point of ridiculous. All of this has been discussed already in much older threads, anyway.

It's just way too early to determine that. The geopolitcal factors alone don't favor a Canadian bid in the short-time, not to mention that Vancouver was just last year.

How is it ridiculous if I am asking a valid question? I wasn't asking you for your opinion.

The way I see it, if the US won 2022, it might take them out of the running for the next couple of summer bids (2024, 2028), but the US is so big that I don't see 2022 handicapping them for too long. On top of that, it's unlikely Canada would get 2024 in such a scenario because the US gets 2022. So really, maybe the only advantage Canada has over the US would be 2028. That's just my guess.

If you're asking a "question" on a PUBLIC forum, then you can get opinions from anyone. Who are you to restrict it otherwise.

It's ridiculous because, again, all of this has been discussed to boredom on much older threads. Never fails when newbies come in here & rehash the same old fricken issues. All this is, is the "Minneapolis, Houston, Tulsa" type syndrome.

I doubt 2022 will go to the USA. It will probably go to this years loser.

I'm not so sure.

If Pyeongchang loses, they probably won't even bid a 4th time.

If Munich loses, I could see them having to compete against Switzerland and Sweden in 2022, two countries that I would actually prefer to host as I think they can offer a more mystical winter aura. Nothing against Munich or Germany, because I love Germany, but Germany is just so good at everything that it's hard to see them as a winter nation than, say, a football or all-sport nation.

Anyway, back on-topic.

So with South Africa mainly out, this is going to make it a Euro-fight. With Tokyo as the spoiler. If Paris is smart (or they want the Olympics sooner rather than later), they'll make their 2020 move.

Archived