Winter 2022

While I don't expect Quebec City to enter the race, let alone win, if they did, would they become the first city to host both summer and winter events? Quebec City was host to a few preliminary handball matches during 1976 Games.

While I don't expect Quebec City to enter the race, let alone win, if they did, would they become the first city to host both summer and winter events? Quebec City was host to a few preliminary handball matches during 1976 Games.

Nope. Karuizawa in Japan already holds that record: equestrian for 1964 and Curling for 1998. (I don't know if London 1908 (figure skating), or Antwerp 1920 (ice hockey events) would count?)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Nope. Karuizawa in Japan already holds that record: equestrian for 1964 and Curling for 1998. (I don't know if London 1908 (figure skating), or Antwerp 1920 (ice hockey events) would count?)

Thanks Myles - I was going to mention that, but wasn't sure if that was already the case, or would have been the case if Tokyo had won 2016.

Because, its easier I believe to expand it then a 10,000 seat stadium (which look like it has a huge infield).

It's simple, you remove the roofs and add a further 2,500 seats on each side. add 5,000 seats on either end (temporary), which makes 20,000. Then add 10,000 seats in field. Which makes 30,000. Allocate say 6,000 seating for Athletes and officials, 24,000 for general spectators.

It'll be like Vancouver, but on a smaller scale.

It's simple, you remove the roofs and add a further 2,500 seats on each side. add 5,000 seats on either end (temporary), which makes 20,000. Then add 10,000 seats in field. Which makes 30,000. Allocate say 6,000 seating for Athletes and officials, 24,000 for general spectators.

Or they may just build a whole new stadium - or use some natural outdoor arena. It's all a vapourware bid and our speculation anyway. If they do bite the bullet and go ahead, it's not like they are constrained to use only existing facilities.

Its too small :lol:

Anybody who knows anything about Winter Sports environments would be thrilled to spend a Winter Olympics in the Reno Tahoe region. There's nowhere like it on earth......puny-murky lake Aneccy....give me a break. And if some trashy IOC wives insist on trolling through Neiman's or Chanel, SF is only an hour away.

Yeah, nothing against Denver (I too think 40 years is plenty to get over it), but Tahoe is beautiful beyond words. Tahoe would be the perfect spot for 2022.

Yes, Tahoe is nice, but what about the Reno? Remember it would be Reno 2022...

So what? Most everyone will be inside the venues and arenas anyway. The neon provides its own unique quality. I betcha half the projected WOG crowds, athletes, visitors will all go down to Vegas anyway. But for those who can't or don't have the budget -- well, they're already in the mini-version.

And at least Reno-Tahoe didn't gobsmack the IOC in previous years!! B)

Do you really think the Renoans don't have any pride in their community and won't put their best foot forward? Please.

Think BIG! Reno will be ready in 2022 (if that pesky Munich doesn't bid).

Edited by baron-pierreIV

One positive coming out of any potential Denver 2022 bid would be that they don't have to spend money to build an Olympic Stadium. Invesco Stadium would be used easily for the ceremonies and the medal competitions. Sure, Invesco may need several million in a little spruce up job, but otherwise, a lot of money would be saved.

it's one of the benefits of any North American Winter Games Bid: money won't be used to build an Olympic Stadium like there would be in any Summer Bid where an Olympic Stadium would have to be built to accomodate track and field and then shrunken in size to meet a need (which would cost more money).

With Reno/Lake Tahoe, the University of Nevada football stadium would be used.

This is an interesting piece of news I read today in one of the most influential Chilean magazines.

The idea has no more background that any of my GamesBids contest proposal, but this is another step to put the idea of a Santiago Winter Olympic bid in discussion.

1313468.jpg

This week, a simple but striking sticker appeared in several cars in the capital, consisting solely of the Olympic logo and the phrase "Santiago 2022."

Behind these mysterious adhesives is the architect Federico Sanchez and the young designer Juan Carlos Labarca, which are fine-tuning the last details to officially launch the campaign for Santiago to host the Winter Olympics 2022.

The initiative, born as the project title of Labarca at Diego Portales University, has as main objective to transform the capital into a sustainable city, thereby increasing their chances of Olympic Committee designates as the first South American host to organize the event.

For that, among other initiatives, they think to call companies to adopt environmental measures and promoting the creation of new green areas and processing plants for household waste.

http://www.quepasa.cl/articulo/ojos-de-la-llave/2011/07/17-6187-9-una-campana-olimpica-de-federico-sanchez.shtml

This is an interesting piece of news I read today in one of the most influential Chilean magazines.

The idea has no more background that any of my GamesBids contest proposal, but this is another step to put the idea of a Santiago Winter Olympic bid in discussion.

1313468.jpg

This week, a simple but striking sticker appeared in several cars in the capital, consisting solely of the Olympic logo and the phrase "Santiago 2022."

Behind these mysterious adhesives is the architect Federico Sanchez and the young designer Juan Carlos Labarca, which are fine-tuning the last details to officially launch the campaign for Santiago to host the Winter Olympics 2022.

The initiative, born as the project title of Labarca at Diego Portales University, has as main objective to transform the capital into a sustainable city, thereby increasing their chances of Olympic Committee designates as the first South American host to organize the event.

For that, among other initiatives, they think to call companies to adopt environmental measures and promoting the creation of new green areas and processing plants for household waste.

http://www.quepasa.cl/articulo/ojos-de-la-llave/2011/07/17-6187-9-una-campana-olimpica-de-federico-sanchez.shtml

OK, I approve that Santiago can run for 2022 -- provided of course that they know the IOC's prescribed window is in February...NOT in August-September or October?? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

1313468.jpg

Now that IS interesting! It would sure add some spice to the 2022 race! I hope you keep us posted!

Good lord Chile will not host the games in 2022.

They sent three!!! athletes to Vancouver in one! sport.

Although I wouldn't mind a games in Chile.

I agree, they wouldn't win. And I'm usually not keen on bids going ahead that are unlikely from the start. But in this case, I'd be happy to see a southern hemisphere contender test the waters.

I agree, they wouldn't win. And I'm usually not keen on bids going ahead that are unlikely from the start. But in this case, I'd be happy to see a southern hemisphere contender test the waters.

if new zealand builds up a respectable hockey team and pours good money into other sports i can see them winning.

if new zealand builds up a respectable hockey team and pours good money into other sports i can see them winning.

Why (ice) hockey in particular (apart from the fact you're Canadian?)? It's probably the least favourite of the winter sports down under - I think skiing and skating disciplines would be far more popular and influential in our part of the world. From what I know the Kiwis have been pouting their focus on developing sliding sports - luge, skeleton etc. Just as in Oz we put our emphasis on freestyle aerials and now have a respectable swag of winter gold from that to vindicate the decision. Ice hockey will only ever be a novelty and minor sport down here (to us, mention the term "hockey" by itself, and you're referring to field hockey, where indeed oz and NZ are powers).

Reno-Tahoe is Ready; will be Ready.

Denver is over; kaput. ;)

I'm not sure that font size is an indicator of bid quality.

It doesn't matter much if a city is ready if it has zero charisma or international appeal.

Denver is over; kaput. ;)

Saying it doesn't make it so.

Neither you nor I are in a position to know the personal feelings of IOC members on this issue. Let's leave it up to the USOC to determine the climate within the IOC.

1313468.jpg

Interesting news, but not a good start with their bid by using illegally thee olympic rings in their logo...

Good lord Chile will not host the games in 2022.

They sent three!!! athletes to Vancouver in one! sport.

Although I wouldn't mind a games in Chile.

And what about 'new horizons' and what would bring the games in term of winter sport development ???

Why (ice) hockey in particular (apart from the fact you're Canadian?)? It's probably the least favourite of the winter sports down under - I think skiing and skating disciplines would be far more popular and influential in our part of the world. From what I know the Kiwis have been pouting their focus on developing sliding sports - luge, skeleton etc. Just as in Oz we put our emphasis on freestyle aerials and now have a respectable swag of winter gold from that to vindicate the decision. Ice hockey will only ever be a novelty and minor sport down here (to us, mention the term "hockey" by itself, and you're referring to field hockey, where indeed oz and NZ are powers).

Just a fun fact, a New Zealand athlete qualified first overall for the skills challenge hockey competition at the 2012 Winter Youth Olympics (beating athletes from Canada...) so it is possible.

I mentioned hockey, because all other sports are semi successful or have athletes that can compete (curling NZL was at the Olympics in 2006, Freestyle/Snowboard, with the additions of slopestyle/halfpipe NZL actually can win a medal now.) Nordic events are the weak spot but all host nations have weak spots. Finally sliding as you said they are investing. Which leaves only hockey in which New Zealand frankly would get destroyed by division one teams so if they develop that sport they have fair development over all sports which does give them a better chance of hosting, lets say compared to them not having good enough hockey teams.

I'd also like to add that it was a male athlete who qualified first. Anyways, when you mention hockey to the majority of the world I would think Ice hockey would be the first one they would think off.

Although I have to say I look forward to Canada (hopefully) beating Argentina and qualifying for the Olympics at the Pan American Games.

I'd also like to add that it was a male athlete who qualified first. Anyways, when you mention hockey to the majority of the world I would think Ice hockey would be the first one they would think off.

I think that's the Canadian in you speaking, though. Aside from the powers like Canada, USA, Russia, Scandinavia, it's not really much on anybody else's radar.

Anyway, hockey strength has hardly been a prequisite for hosting a WOGs in the past - a la Italy, South Korea etc.

I think that's the Canadian in you speaking, though. Aside from the powers like Canada, USA, Russia, Scandinavia, it's not really much on anybody else's radar.

Anyway, hockey strength has hardly been a prequisite for hosting a WOGs in the past - a la Italy, South Korea etc.

True, however South Korea and Italy have had NHL players before.

Also, Russia/Canada/USA/Scandanavia

+ Eastern Europe + Central Asia