Skiing Alpine

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, I must say as a Swede I'm more proud of Anja Pärson's bronze than the two gold we have!!! This was a absolutely impressive and fantastic performance by Anja. She didn't believe she should participate in the super combined. Even after the downhill she had so much pain that she wasn't sure to make the slalom.

Anja was very VERY happy after the bronze. For her this bronze feel as a gold, I think. Go Anja! You are my superhero! :D

OMG, I must say as a Swede I'm more proud of Anja Pärson's bronze than the two gold we have!!! This was a absolutely impressive and fantastic performance by Anja. She didn't believe she should participate in the super combined. Even after the downhill she had so much pain that she wasn't sure to make the slalom.

Anja was very VERY happy after the bronze. For her this bronze feel as a gold, I think. Go Anja! You are my superhero! :D

Indeed, I think its fair to say that it was Parson's most impressive medal to date. Not so much the result, but how she got it.

In any case, its good to see that the two best Alpine Skiers right now (Vonn and Raich) will both get out of Vancouver with at least one gold each.

In some ways its a shame that Vonn won't have a chance to get 5 now...it would have really defined these games and definitely taken much of the heat out of some of the negative press. After all, do you remember the supposed mismanagement of Lake Placid in 1980 or Eric Heiden's 5 gold? I know what the answer is to that one...

But congrats to all who won medals...los gehts Deutschland!

Edited by eusebius65

Man, I feel so bad for Erik Guay right now. In Turin, he was fourth in the Super-G, 0.1 seconds from a medal. In the Vancouver Downhill, he was less that 0.2 seconds from a medal. And now, he just finished fifth in the Super-G, 0.06 seconds from silver, and he probably would have challenged for the win was it not for a mistake up on the top of the course.

Seriously, tough, that's 5 top-5 in Turin and Vancouver for the Canadian team, all without an Alpine medal. How unlucky can you get?

By the way, final results from the Super-G:

Gold: Aksel Lund Svindal, Norway (Really happy to finally see him win a gold medal)

Silver: Bode Miller, United States (Slightly bumed that he still hasn't won a gold, looks good for the Super-Combined, tough)

Bronze: Andrew Weibrecht, United States (What's up whit the US winning all those unexpected medals, anyway?)

Man, I feel so bad for Erik Guay right now. In Turin, he was fourth in the Super-G, 0.1 seconds from a medal. In the Vancouver Downhill, he was less that 0.2 seconds from a medal. And now, he just finished fifth in the Super-G, 0.06 seconds from silver, and he probably would have challenged for the win was it not for a mistake up on the top of the course.

Seriously, tough, that's 5 top-5 in Turin and Vancouver for the Canadian team, all without an Alpine medal. How unlucky can you get?

By the way, final results from the Super-G:

Gold: Aksel Lund Svindal, Norway (Really happy to finally see him win a gold medal)

Silver: Bode Miller, United States (Slightly bumed that he still hasn't won a gold, looks good for the Super-Combined, tough)

Bronze: Andrew Weibrecht, United States (What's up whit the US winning all those unexpected medals, anyway?)

Weibrecht's best career Super-G result until now: 11th :o

Mancuso sucked the last two years and now she has two medals! I don't know what the americans are doing but it's working.

Anyway, it was probably the last medal chance for Canada. The alpine team, unfortunatly, peaked 2 years too soon.

Man, did Bode Miller show up for these games on a mission or what? This was not the Bode I knew from Torino! 6 Alpine medals for the U.S. ski team in only 4 events, unbelievable. Everyone is peaking at the right time, Vonn, Miller, Mancuso, and Weibrecht?? Who is he?? Best Olympic U.S. team ever?

Weibrecht's best career Super-G result until now: 11th :o

Mancuso sucked the last two years and now she has two medals! I don't know what the americans are doing but it's working.

Anyway, it was probably the last medal chance for Canada. The alpine team, unfortunatly, peaked 2 years too soon.

Janyk could still save the honor. But not winning a medal in the men's Downhill or Super-G is pretty terrible. At least, virtually all of the team will be back in Sochi (barring those pesky injuries :angry:).

But the good folks at Alpine Canada better hope somebody ends up with a medal, otherwise I'd expect a couple of people to get the axe.

Man, did Bode Miller show up for these games on a mission or what? This was not the Bode I knew from Torino! 6 Alpine medals for the U.S. ski team in only 4 events, unbelievable. Everyone is peaking at the right time, Vonn, Miller, Mancuso, and Weibrecht?? Who is he?? Best Olympic U.S. team ever?

Hard to say, but Mancuso and Weibrecht are both total surprised. The US have been very over-represented on the Alpine podiums in the games, which means that somebody on the team did a darn good job at making sure everybody peaked at the right time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US team was (one of) the only one really focused on peaking for Vancouver, most other team go for consistency over winning at the Olympics. Other teams will have to study what the US did before Vancouver, for sure.

I think it was delusional to expect a inconsistent Canadian team to medal. We get lucky at major competitions our athletes don't peak.

Vonn was never going to win 5 medals. She sucks at slalom and giant slalom. There are much better technical skiers than her.

Hard to say, but Mancuso and Weibrecht are both total surprised. The US have been very over-represented on the Alpine podiums in the games, which means that somebody on the team did a darn good job at making sure everybody peaked at the right time.

I wouldn't be surprised if the US team was (one of) the only one really focused on peaking for Vancouver, most other team go for consistency over winning at the Olympics. Other teams will have to study what the US did before Vancouver, for sure.

Agreed, I'm American and I think Vonn was way overhyped. Great speed skiier, but sucks at the technicals. Her wipe out yesterday didn't surprise me at all.

I think it was delusional to expect a inconsistent Canadian team to medal. We get lucky at major competitions our athletes don't peak.

Vonn was never going to win 5 medals. She sucks at slalom and giant slalom. There are much better technical skiers than her.

Well, I certainly expected Canada to get more Alpine medals that Mancuso or that guy that medaled in the Super-G (ceriously, who the hell is he?).

Insane how many unexpected medals the US got.

After more that 30 Skiers, results from the women's Super-G:

Gold: Andrea Fishbacher, Austria

Silver: Tina Maze, Slovenia

Bronze: Lindsay Vonn, United States

Silver is the best ever winter Olympic result from Slovenia (they had four previous bronze, three in Alpine back in 1994 and Majdic's magic bronze). Great to see Maze with a medal.

8 DNF among the top 30 seeds...