Roma 2020 Bid

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what logo ????? Rome is officially withdrawn their bid, what kind of logo that you expect ?? a withdrawal logo ? So I believe that the rest 5 will go to candidate city... Now Tokyo, and Madrid are the front runner, don't know about Istanbul since Istanbul doesn't give us any news,, i'm afraid there is a little possibility that Istanbul following Rome's step...

sad for rome..

what logo ????? Rome is officially withdrawn their bid, what kind of logo that you expect ?? a withdrawal logo ? So I believe that the rest 5 will go to candidate city... Now Tokyo, and Madrid are the front runner, don't know about Istanbul since Istanbul doesn't give us any news,, i'm afraid there is a little possibility that Istanbul following Rome's step...

i just get the news..lol..sad to hear that roma withdraw..my favourite still doha and tokyo since i dont know much about baku:)

Pescante: We've lost a great opportunity

Mario Pescante, the president of the Promotion Committee for Rome 2020, admitted this was a bitter pill to swallow.

"We've lost a great opportunity but we can only accept the government's decision, there's a lot of bitterness," he said.

"The government's decision was well thought out and was due exclusively to economic motives.

"Our project for Rome 2020 was very serious but the government was immovable on the accounts.

"It's a shame because it was a unique opportunity not least to say to the young that we have big ambitions."

Pescante also suggested that any future bid for Rome, which last hosted the Games in 1960, may now be off the cards for some time.

"For a possible bid in 2024 we'd have to take into account Africa and if the 2020 Games are not assigned to Europe, Paris will enter the running for 2024 and their centenary," said Pescante.

"That means that there will be no more talk of the Olympic Games in Italy for another 10 years."

AFP/IndiaTimes

Sad for Italy and amazing city of Rome, but, Italians played serious (and this will be taken in count in the future)

Economic crisis is still beating strong...

This movement of Rome, IMHO, affects directly Madrid (as BBC loves to say, it's my time: "concerns raised over Madrid bid after Rome leaves the race")...

Japan is now living the best of their days...

Istanbul is a front runner now IMO.

I don't think Istanbul is a frontrunner. They have a lackluster logo, even if you could call it that, the website is late and hardly complete... but then again it's the information that counts I guess.

It's only geeks like us who would notice no logo yet. Actually, i think it's quite sensible - this is the technical phase. No need for much of the marketing hoopla until the real campaigning starts after the short list announcement.

Yeah, like the un-used Rome logo. Though they do seem wedded to mosaics and Colloseum graphics in all their bids - would have been nive to see something a bit different. But then again, we're probably one of the few groups who'll ever be aware of this logo.

• 11 months later...

Rome 2020 Debts Signal Trouble Ahead for Olympic Ambitions

(ATR) A year after the demise of Rome 2020, Around the Rings has learned the Olympic bid is close to bankruptcy, ex-bid officials have launched lawsuits and consultants have not been paid.

The bid cost an estimated $8.75 million. According to one source close to the bid, the Italian National Olympic Committee and city of Rome have yet to cough up money that was budgeted – $2.7 million and $1.3 million, respectively.

In June 2012, the Rome 2020 board ended its work with the committee owing millions of dollars to bid officials and consultants recruited to aid the ill-fated campaign.

Among those owed money is Atlanta-based Helios Partners, which helped create a bid strategy that never got used.

ATR is told that Ernesto Albanese, the bid’s former managing director and other bid officials have taken their grievances to court. According to La Gazzetta dello Sport, Albanese claims he is due payment through to December 2013; these claims were disputed by leaders of the bid board and mayor when they finalized the budget.

Under Italian law, until these case are resolved, liquidators appointed by CONI and the Rome Municipality cannot pay anybody.

“No one has been paid after February 14 [2012],” the source tells ATR.

“Nobody in CONI – with the new election coming – wants to solve the problem but this is making CONI lose its credibility. And the mayor is always talking about a new candidature [for the Olympics],” he said.

He said it was likely that the Rome 2020 bidding company would go bankrupt with the judge appointing his own liquidator.

“It is a shame for Italian sport and Rome is dreaming to be a candidate for 2024.”

The Rome 2020 financial saga is unlikely to be resolved any time soon.

Next week’s CONI elections and May elections for the mayor of Rome add further complications.

CONI secretary general Raffaele Pagnozzi is standing for president of the NOC; board member Giovanni Malagò is challenging him in the Feb. 19 election. “It’s very open,” the source said.

Gianni Alemanno, who is seeking re-election as mayor, has been talking up a possible Olympic bid for 2024 as part of his election campaign in recent weeks and months.

The Italian source is downbeat about any bid materializing. He told ATR that the Rome 2020 crisis has dealt Italy’s global sporting reputation a damaging blow from which it would be difficult to recover in time.

“I don’t believe there will be a bid for 2024,” he concluded.

http://www.aroundtherings.com//articles/view.aspx?pv=xqv&id=42341

Archived