Roma 2020 Bid

When was that? The PanAms? :blink:Only 5,633 athletes were hosted in Rio 2007. How could that be 10,000?

Frankly, NO CITIES before Atlanta 1996 ever hosted 10,000 athletes. So, therefore, Athens 1896 up to Barcelona 1992 would have had a hard time winning the Olympic right to host because they had never hosted an event with 10,000 attendees? :blink:

Also, my earlier comment was a general one including some other posters.

My second sentence does not go with my first one. I was just curious when asking.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I know I am new and unexperienced and I know mr Baron Pierre has been around for quite a long time in this forum

I have however a question to him:

Isn't it a tiring job yours of always supporting one and only one bid to every games (which would be ok) pretending that bid is going to win FOR SURE. I mean you are sure Durban will win: you will have to continue finding reasons till 2013...2 more years

Don't you believe that a balanced doubt about each and other one possibilities - bc no one has the games in their pockets ever, Durban and Rome included - could result in a less stressful for everyone discussion?

At the end all this is about is doubting every now than, using the conditional form every now than, recognisisng sometimes the strenght of other bids (other than your favourite horse of course) along their weaknesses

I think it could help you

your sincerely (believing Durban has a 40% chance of getting the games) 2015

Now I know I am new and unexperienced and I know mr Baron Pierre has been around for quite a long time in this forum

Isn't it a tiring job yours of always supporting one and only one bid to every games (which would be ok) pretending that bid is going to win FOR SURE. I mean you are sure Durban will win: you will have to continue finding reasons till 2013...2 more years

Don't you believe that a balanced doubt about each and other one possibilities - bc no one has the games in their pockets ever, Durban and Rome included - could result in a less stressful for everyone discussion?

At the end all this is about is doubting every now than, using the conditional form every now than, recognisisng sometimes the strenght of other bids (other than your favourite horse of course) along their weaknesses

This really needs to be directed at all our dear Annecy 2018 cheerleaders. :lol:

Baron may play hard and be oh, so subjective in his favourites. But he's never been one for sour grapes when his choice misses out as well. More than can be said for others.

Sorry it was not meant to be a full critic of Baron, nor anyone else

I just believe no one has this games in its pockets today: neither Rome, nor Durban, nor Istanbul (the most likely candidates). Showing a degree of doubt is just common sense for me.

I am by any means not sure Rome will make it, nor I think honestly it is even the clear favourite

Sorry it was not meant to be a full critic of Baron, nor anyone else

I just believe no one has this games in its pockets today: neither Rome, nor Durban, nor Istanbul (the most likely candidates). Showing a degree of doubt is just common sense for me.

I am by any means not sure Rome will make it, nor I think honestly it is even the clear favourite

totally agree...

altough these 3 cities have their own strong cards and weaknesses too at the same time. will be a hard decision for the IOC. but its early for Durban. those twin sister cities will finish the line head to head at last.

considering just those 3 cities are candidates.

your sincerely (believing Durban has a 40% chance of getting the games) 2015

To answer your question(s); obviously, we all gauge things differently and individually.

I call things as I see them, assessing all developments (or not) that one is privy too here. Sometimes I feel very strongly about a bid's chances...and I just like to handicap my races better. Hate being a fence-sitter or just making indecisive posts...well, it could be like this...or it could be like that. Namby-pamby posts aren't my style.

But speaking of Durban...if say that iconic arch over the stadium were, God forbid, to collapse before a crucial vote, then obviously, that might change the whole equation. I wasn't born yesterday, ya know.

Bolt’s late surge just heads-off Powell - 9.91 to 9.93 - in front of over 47,000 spectators in Rome – Samsung Diamond League

Rome, Italy - World record holder Usain Bolt despite a very poor start came through his first competition for nine months when winning over 100 metres at the Compeed Golden Gala, the third stop on the Samsung Diamond League series in Rome tonight (26).

The world's fastest man despite being the third last sprinter in the nine man field to emerge from his blocks, quickly regained his posture to speed down the track of the 1960 Olympic Stadium and win in a time of 9.91 seconds (+0.6sec wind).

At one stage it looked as if the reigning World and Olympic gold medallist would come a cropper as Asafa Powell, the man who preceded him as World record holder, opened what looked like a winning gap.

But Bolt, 15 metres from the finishing line, suddenly turned on the gas and with an electrifying burst got alongside his fellow Jamaican and then passed him.

Powell, seemingly gasping for breath close to the finish line, clocked a season's best of 9.93sec, as did France's European champion Christophe Lemaitre who ran 10 seconds dead for third.

Bolt's late surge brought him home just 0.02sec away from the current 9.98 world season lead held by Steve Mullings, another athlete from his country's highly talented pack of sprinters.

"I got through my first race I was so nervous," said a very relieved Bolt. "I got a bad start and then kind of started to panic."

Fortunately on the credit side Bolt showed no signs of the Achilles or back injury which caused him to abandon his season as a precautionary measure after his defeat at the hands of Gay in Stockholm last August. The 24-year-old whose top priority is defending his IAAF World Championships crowns in Daegu in three months’ time, believes after a few tweaks he can attain that ambition.

"But I am getting there," he said of his pre-event intention of 'getting back into business'. "My coach will analyse the race - I was not proud of the race."

Bolt with a huge crowd watching his return and who thoroughly enjoyed his ‘showboat entertainment’ added: “This is my first time in Rome and I appreciated the reaction of the crowd.”

But he left the stadium a relieved man after only catching Powell with his last gasp attack. "Well I guess for him it was different because he had already started his season," Bolt said. "He was already IN the season. Unlike me."

iaaf.org

5z1ks5.jpg

Rome opens its 31st bridge over the Tiber. This is a pedestrian/bike/bus bridge which links directly two of the main clusters of 2020 plan: Foro Italico and the Flaminio area.

2zrzzpi.jpg

http://roma.repubblica.it/cronaca/2011/05/31/foto/ponte_della_musica_il_31esimo_in_citt-17023002/1/?ref=HRESS-4

Also.. Rome is building a 32nd bridge while bidding for the XXXII Olympiad. Strange.

Rome Symposium to raise knowledge of peptide hormones

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the Italian Federation of Sports Medicine (FMSI) have invited internationally renowned experts from the fields of science and medicine to a ‘Symposium on Developments and Challenges in the Detection of Doping with Peptide Hormones’ in Rome later this month.

The two-day symposium (June 15-16) at the Hotel Aldrovandi in Rome will be hosted by the FMSI, and will review scientific advances in the area of detection of doping with peptide hormones as part of WADA’s continuing fight against doping in sport.

FMSI President Dr. Maurizio Casasco and WADA Vice-President Prof. Arne Ljungqvist will welcome the guests and speakers at a reception on the evening of June 14, and will also be available for interview at a press conference earlier in the day.

“The FMSI’s values promote clean sport, health and fairness for all athletes at all levels,” said Dr. Casasco.

“We are committed to upholding these values and as such we are delighted to host the symposium into peptide hormone research. This research will help us to further develop cutting edge strategies for a challenging class of doping substances.”

For Prof. Ljungqvist, scientific symposiums are crucial if WADA is to keep abreast of the increasingly sophisticated ways that athletes find to enhance their performances.

“Research plays a significant part in WADA’s efforts to stay ahead of the doping cheats and we are indebted to the FMSI for hosting such an important symposium,” said Professor Ljungqvist.

“Peptide hormones are readily available on the black market, and are at the cutting edge of performance enhancing substances.

“This symposium will further our knowledge in the fight against doping in sport, and in particular the scientific research into peptide hormones.”

At the conclusion of the symposium, members of the media will have the opportunity to interview WADA Science Director Dr. Olivier Rabin and other anti-doping experts who will have taken part in the program.

http://www.wada-ama.org/

-----------------------

The XXXII FIMS World Congress of Sports Medicine will be held in Rome in 2012.

It's the first time that Italy hosts such as important event that the Italian Federation of Sports Medicine (FMSI) has the pleasure to organize.

Founded in 1929, FMSI is known to be one of the first Associations of Sports Medicine born in Europe. It is the only national Italian Scientific Society, member of the Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI), member of the International Federation of Sports Medicine (FIMS) and recognized by the International Olympic Committee (CIO) and by the European Federation of Sports Medicine Associations (EFSMA).

The FMSI has the aim – among the others – to guarantee to the athletes, through its 5.000 member doctors, the best medical conditions to perform his/her professional or recreational sport activity with benefit and without risks for health.

We look forward to welcoming you in Rome in 2012.

Arrivederci a Roma!

http://www.fimsroma2012.org/

15eilvm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This video has me excited for Rome 2020. Loving the epic / imperial theme.

It will be a crazy race if both Durban (or some other S. African city) and Istanbul throw their hats in the ring at the same time.

I'm not sure about any other European city, though. Madrid honestly does not have me too excited; I know it will have been 28 years since Barcelona but Spain is a small country, and two SOGs in that time seems like much - if the games were re-hosted by the US or China relatively soon, at least they could be geographically far removed from Atlanta or Beijing, which you can't really say for the tiny distance between Barcelona and Madrid.

I'm not sure about any other European city, though. Madrid honestly does not have me too excited; I know it will have been 28 years since Barcelona but Spain is a small country, and two SOGs in that time seems like much - if the games were re-hosted by the US or China relatively soon, at least they could be geographically far removed from Atlanta or Beijing, which you can't really say for the tiny distance between Barcelona and Madrid.

But Rome/Paris need some sacrificial lambs to make it look good.

With the exception of South Africa I don't think we'll see many, actually. The other interested bidders aren't in regions that have been historically underserved geographically (a map doesn't help Istanbul at all, only emphasizing Turkey's cultural differences will).

If PyeongChang can copy a map (and win), Madrid can copy the patience and persistance motto. We need to have Rafael Nadal and Pau Gasol there à la Yuna Kim and Toby Dawson, and it would be something like: "Dear IOC friends, you taught us two years ago how patience and persistance are rewarded. And here we are, we have learnt from our mistakes, we're ready, we believe it's our destiny, blah, blah... (Starting to sound desperate. Tell a joke about Albert of Monaco)", and that's it!! Absolute majority in the first round! :lol:

Oh! I forgot. Someone has to cry... Well, Samaranch Jr. would cry saying this would be the perfect last gift from the IOC to his father :P

If PyeongChang can copy a map (and win), Madrid can copy the patience and persistance motto. We need to have Rafael Nadal and Pau Gasol there à la Yuna Kim and Toby Dawson, and it would be something like: "Dear IOC friends, you taught us two years ago how patience and persistance are rewarded. And here we are, we have learnt from our mistakes, we're ready, we believe it's our destiny, blah, blah... (Starting to sound desperate. Tell a joke about Albert of Monaco)", and that's it!! Absolute majority in the first round! :lol:

Oh! I forgot. Someone has to cry... Well, Samaranch Jr. would cry saying this would be the perfect last gift from the IOC to his father :P

hey :angry: its our 5th bid :/ the motto is more ours than yours :) hehehe

hey :angry: its our 5th bid :/ the motto is more ours than yours :) hehehe

And it would be Madrid's fourth, third consecutive, Spain's 15th more or less... Ha! Beat that, Istanbul :P

But we could become the patience and persistance allies against Rome. We could say something like: "Dear IOC friends, there are two cities here that have shown real interest recently in the Olympic Games. We haven't given up. Are you going to give the Games to a city that hasn't shown that interest?" :lol: What do you think? Allies then? ;)

Archived