Roma 2020 Bid

Saw that new, but short-lived British TV series (3 episodes only) set in modern-day Rome, called ZEN, with Rufus Sewell as Aurelio Zen, last night.

Interesting series. Funny, but most of the characters speak with nearly perfect British accents. Goes to show what a crowded, congested city Rome is. ;)

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^

Yes, it is. Could the Olympics help drive the city into a post-motor era. Certainly the river park brings good points at this regard.

Anyway, it seems that tv/movie producers can't stay away from Rome nowadays. Many series/movies set there lately.

@Citius

You mean the Palazzetto dello sport designed by Luigi Nervi?

Saw that new, but short-lived British TV series (3 episodes only) set in modern-day Rome, called ZEN, with Rufus Sewell as Aurelio Zen, last night.

Interesting series. Funny, but most of the characters speak with nearly perfect British accents. Goes to show what a crowded, congested city Rome is. ;)

No different then all of the British/Aussie actors who play Americans in TV and movies.

No different then all of the British/Aussie actors who play Americans in TV and movies.

No; but Brit/Aussie actors just change their accents to portray Yanks, using the same, common to all, MOTHER tongue. What makes ZEN odd is that they are, for the most part, Italian characters but, at least consistently, they all speak in the clipped British accent. So, you'd think they would find a lot of Italian actors who speak the King's English...or they found a lot of British actors vacationing in Italy for the shoot. But then again, that would be odd because I am sure the Italian unions -- like their counterparts the world over -- would require the majority of the roles use Local talent.

But we digress...

yes - I couldn't find it in the venue list for 2020

Apparently they take it off. I assume because it's old fashioned and also that area does not conmplate indoor sports.

Btw, this is the Palazzetto dello sport designed by Nervi for the 1960 Olympics.

palazzetto%20sport.jpg

and this is the Palasport EUR (also named Palalottomatica) in the EUR district. This is included in the 2020 plan, though.

palalottomatica.gif

I pointed this out because many mix them up as they had very similar names.

London calling

Italian athletes to wear Armani at London 2012

July 18 - The Italian Olympic Committee (CONI) has announced that native fashion designer Giorgio Armani will outfit the Azzurri for the Games next year in London.

Armani has a strong presence in the world of sport, having designed the Italian flag bearers' outfits at the opening ceremony for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, as well as designing suits for the players of London club Chelsea since 2007 and twice for the English national football team.

He is renowned for hiring the likes of David Beckham, Cristiano Ronaldo and Rafael Nadal as models in recent years, and launched a brand - EA7 - inspired by Ukrainian footballer Andriy Shevchenko, who at the time played for AC Milan, wearing the number seven jersey.

The Italian designer, who's most recent high-profile stage of his work was when he dressed Charlene Wittstock for her wedding to Prince Albert of Monaco earlier this month, is also the President of the Olimpia Milano basketball team.

The Italian national team wore sportswear brand Freddy at the 2008 Beijing Games.

Armani has scheduled a press conference for Wednesday (July 20) where he will reveal further details of the project in Rome at the CONI Hall of Honour.

insidethegames

• 2 weeks later...

I did check the 26 previous pages but the video beneath was not published here on gb (this topic) yet.

I had also the opportunity to read a lot of the Roma2020 bid. As usual GB is a treasure full with spontanious information and commenting.

Learning a lot .. the video impressed me .. The norhtern-roma cluster (foro italico region) B)

regards

fatih

So I was watching the news tonight and they were talking about how bad Italy's economy is and it just keeps getting worse. Looks like Italy and Spain are the next to get a bailout.

Do you think this will significantly effect the public support of Rome's bid?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure they're gonna make a new fancy video. But the main point is if this is their masterplan Rome is clear favourite definitely. That would be the MOST compact games ever, it is like there is only walking distance between every zone.

Only the northern zone bordering the Tiber Park can be fairly considered as walking distance. The rest is all spread out through the suburbs.

• 2 weeks later...

Rome, Tokyo, Spain, Remitting 2020 SOG

In view of the fact that virtually all countries nowadays have reached an acceptable level of Global development and have the capacity to stage the Olympic Games, gone is the time of only few countries being able to stage the Olympic Games. In this check, Rome, Tokyo, Spain, should by all means remitt the 2020 SOG.

If the Olympic Games are so treasured by the Global audience, then it would be nice to give the world a chance to show a new host of the Olympic Games every time

they are held. In a period of 70-seventy years the world witnesses about 15-fifteen OG's of each kind. Let us be considerate for the number of countries in the world and how many years it would take for all of them to be granted the opportunity to host the world's largest sporting event. Others have not staged the OG's, however had the privilege of presenting other prestigious sporting events.

Rome, Tokyo, Spain, Remitting 2020 SOG

In view of the fact that virtually all countries nowadays have reached an acceptable level of Global development and have the capacity to stage the Olympic Games, gone is the time of only few countries being able to stage the Olympic Games. In this check, Rome, Tokyo, Spain, should by all means remitt the 2020 SOG.

If the Olympic Games are so treasured by the Global audience, then it would be nice to give the world a chance to show a new host of the Olympic Games every time

they are held. In a period of 70-seventy years the world witnesses about 15-fifteen OG's of each kind. Let us be considerate for the number of countries in the world and how many years it would take for all of them to be granted the opportunity to host the world's largest sporting event. Others have not staged the OG's, however had the privilege of presenting other prestigious sporting events.

And? What is your point? :blink:

Archived