Australia to bid for 2018 WORLD CUP

Belgium isn't interesting in bidding as far as I know. I read they think the world cup is too big for them and they didn't show any intrest in a joint bid with The Netherlands.

Blatter has welcomed a Dutch bid - he usually welcomes all bids - and said that they should bid alone 'cause FIFA don't want a joint world cup again.

The Dutch FA (KNVB) is interesting in bidding for 2018 after the succesfull FIFA World Youth Championship last summer. Our stadiums aren't big enough though and I doubt the government is willing to tribute a lot of money to upgrate them. I don't really take a Dutch bid serious for now.

Exactly.  That article is half absurd.

Yeah, but the rest of the countries are real... and where is the USA? Anywhere!!!

It's not really real at all actaully Mikel. What it does show is what the general feeling is about 2018.

Wikipedia is an open source Encyclopedia, which means anyone who registers can add to or chang any article they want. It is created entirely by the users (amazing isn't it?)

What I would say this article is, is not a reflection of the truth or cold hard facts (as there are very few becuase it's a long way off) but rather a reflection of what the general feeling is based on the few facts and speculations we know already. If Baron wanted to, he could change the article so it included the USA...that's up to him.

The fact that I posted it shows to things

1) Apart from newspaper articles speculating on individual bids, there has been nothing else written about 2018

2) What has been written is quite speculative but sums up what we think we know quite nicely.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Belgium isn't interesting in bidding as far as I know. I read they think the world cup is too big for them and they didn't show any intrest in a joint bid with The Netherlands.

Blatter has welcomed a Dutch bid - he usually welcomes all bids - and said that they should bid alone 'cause FIFA don't want a joint world cup again.

The Dutch FA (KNVB) is interesting in bidding for 2018 after the succesfull FIFA World Youth Championship last summer. Our stadiums aren't big enough though and I doubt the government is willing to tribute a lot of money to upgrate them. I don't really take a Dutch bid serious for now.

Yeah, but the rest of the countries are real... and where is the USA? Anywhere!!!

It's not really real at all actaully Mikel. What it does show is what the general feeling is about 2018.

Wikipedia is an open source Encyclopedia, which means anyone who registers can add to or chang any article they want. It is created entirely by the users (amazing isn't it?)

What I would say this article is, is not a reflection of the truth or cold hard facts (as there are very few becuase it's a long way off) but rather a reflection of what the general feeling is based on the few facts and speculations we know already. If Baron wanted to, he could change the article so it included the USA...that's up to him.

1) Apart from newspaper articles speculating on individual bids, there has been nothing else written about 2018

2) What has been written is quite speculative but sums up what we think we know quite nicely.

Ok Rob, thanks. :)

This is my list for the next WC:

2014- Brazil

2018- England

2022- Australia

2026- Mexico

2030- Spain

2034- Chile

2038- China

2042- Russia

2046- Colombia

2050- Iran

I have to say I like the idea of an Australian World Cup. The Aussies have showed they know how to organize big events (Sydney Olympics, Rugby World Cup) so I'm sure they would stage a great tournament.

What's the weather like in places like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth around june? I know it's the Australian winter but how 'cold' is it exactly?

Oh, Rob, thanks.

This is my list for the next WC

2014- Brazil

2018- Mikel

2022- is

2026- a

2030- f*ckng

2034- idiot

2038- if

2042- ever

2046- there

2050- was

2054 - one.

:wink:  Mighty dandy, doncha think so.

New Wikepedia article on World Cup 2018

Oh, Rob, thanks.

This is my list for the next WC

2014- Brazil

2018- Mikel

2022- is

2026- a

2030- f*ckng

2034- idiot

2038- if

2042- ever

2046- there

2050- was

2054 - one.

:wink:  Mighty dandy, doncha think so.

New Wikepedia article on World Cup 2018

And you baron are the most f*kng boy I have ever known, you are an anti-EU, anti-Spain, are you a terrorist of your Government? :D

¡BARON, CABRÓN, SALUDA A LA AFICIÓN! (This is for you from the Spanish people) :wwww:

:sleepy:  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzz

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

zzzzzzz

The same for you, idiot boy... :wwww:  :laugh:

I have to say I like the idea of an Australian World Cup. The Aussies have showed they know how to organize big events (Sydney Olympics, Rugby World Cup) so I'm sure they would stage a great tournament.

What's the weather like in places like Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth around june? I know it's the Australian winter but how 'cold' is it exactly?

During the winter, Perth is relativerly dry, same to for Sydney and Brisbane though June is when most the rain will come. Though expect 20-35degree days, so not to cold. It always rains in Melbourne though i would think Telstra Dome would be the venue of choice for the qualifying rounds and would be played indoors.

Just to answer back to attendences; Sydney FC recieved a record crowd for their first home game this season (new A-League) cracking well into the 20,000's. Though not much for a football match compared to other nations, the is somewhat high for Australian football. In the same week crowds of over 17,000 in Melbourne and 18,000 in Brisbane were recorded. 13,000 turned out in the rain in Perth. With the best ever season attendence average being just over 14,000 (1996-1997), the average for the 2005-2006 season is already nearly 16,000. Though still not much compared to other nations, could be seen as an important jump for Australian football.

During the winter, Perth is relativerly dry, same to for Sydney and Brisbane though June is when most the rain will come. Though expect 20-35degree days, so not to cold. It always rains in Melbourne though i would think Telstra Dome would be the venue of choice for the qualifying rounds and would be played indoors.

Just to answer back to attendences; Sydney FC recieved a record crowd for their first home game this season (new A-League) cracking well into the 20,000's. Though not much for a football match compared to other nations, the is somewhat high for Australian football. In the same week crowds of over 17,000 in Melbourne and 18,000 in Brisbane were recorded. 13,000 turned out in the rain in Perth. With the best ever season attendence average being just over 14,000 (1996-1997), the average for the 2005-2006 season is already nearly 16,000. Though still not much compared to other nations, could be seen as an important jump for Australian football.

I think those averages are pretty good actually.

You shouldn't compare them to countries like Germany (37,771), England (33,890) or Spain (28,401), but with countries with smaller leagues such as Netherlands (16,237), Scotland (15,659), Portugal (10,624) and Belgium (9,715).

Considering that football (soccer) is the most popular sport in all of these countries an average of almost 16,000 for Australia is pretty good if you ask me. To compare it with the American MLS: the MLS had an average of 17,406 for it's first season and 15,559 for the 2004 season.

Let's not get carried away Mikel. Europe isn't entitled to 2018, just as the US isn't.

I just happen to think many European countries have a stronger case than the US for hosting 2018.

How can that be?  

Germany is hosting 2006.  Germany is in Europe.  FIFA divides the world into its continents/regions -- not countries.  1998 and 2006 have been Europe's.  Therefore, why should it go back for a 3rd time when the last CONCACAF hosting was in 1994 - and every other viable part of the football world will have had their turn in between?   I guess it has to be repeated:

1998 - Europe/France

2002 - Asia / Korea/Japan

2006 - Europe/Germany

2010 - Africa / RSA

2014 - supposedly S.America/Brazil

2018 - why should 2018 swing back to Europe when it was just there 11 years earlier?  The other parts of the world are equal partners in this.  

You keep forgetting this is the WORLD CUP not the European Cup.  Your thinking just flies in the face of universality.  I just pray that FIFA keeps its more universal and enlightened policies.

FIFA shouldn't divide into continents though. The USA may be a world super-power, but in footballing terms, it's not a match for the majority of European countries who are capable of hosting.

When you say CONCACAF, we all know you mean the USA. And virtually giving the USA a free-run at the world cup every twenty years is flying in the face of universality in my opinion.

Why should other parts of the world, in continents with fewer capable hosts be "equal partners" when they have nowhere near the attendence levels on a weekly basis or the footballing culture that exists within Europe? If you added all attendences up in Europe on a typical weekend and did the same for North America, I'd imagine there would be at least five or six times as many people watching football in Europe (if I find the time I might try to do this).

Therefore, each large European country is equivilent to the whole continent of North America. Europe is equivilent to several North Americas in purely footballing terms.

I think having every third world cup in Europe is a fair reflection of where football is at at the moment. Having every other world cup in Europe, as it was previously, is excessive as things have changed...but not all that much.

CONCACAF is also Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico and other nations, not just USA.

Whatever..USA shouldnt have the right to host every 20 years...not for god sake..

CONCACAF is also Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico and other nations, not just USA.

Whatever..USA shouldnt have the right to host every 20 years...not for god sake..

Uhmm...

1.  Puerto Rico is part of the US.  Unlike the Olympics, Puerto Rico does not have a separate association recognized by FIFA.  Duh?

2.  Are u 2 senile? Mexico has hosted WC twice.  Do you really think the US will allow them to get a 3rd one before the US hosts another one?   You two should go back to school.

3.  If you think Panama, Costa Rica, Haiti, Barbados, etc. can be a credible World Cup host, then let me tell you that Katrina never happened and I have land to sell you in New Orleans - cheap.

:rolleyes:

So with Blater now declaring the rotation system dead after 2014, ASIA is looking more and more likely as front runners for 2018.

Also with Australia now part of the Asian division, it has been said that we can not co-host with New Zealand, part of the Oceania division, and also that China wants the chance as well.

So we have Official bids from -

China

Australia

England

But nothing from the US yet

I find it extremely peculiar that some of the people arguing that because Europe has so many countires able to host the WC are the same ones that say they USA shouldn't get every fourth SOG just because they have so many capable cities. Sort of ironic, non?

I agree, maybe England should host in 2018, but it's ridiculous to say Europe should get every third WC. Why? Because they have more soccer fans, well let me tell you, if the WC came to the USA, we would have every 70,000 seat stadium used packed to capacity. We are passionate about all sports. Secondly its sort of beyond me to compare soccer in europe with soccer in USA, does soccer in Europe have to compete against basketball, baseball, and football for attention, no I don't think so. I just don't get the argument about Europe having so many hosts, should Switzerland or Austria get every FIS championship just because they have some of the best skiing, hello no.

I think before Australlia can host the World Cup, they should prove that they can qualify for the WOrld Cup. I know China has qualified once for 2002 World Cup.

In that way, it can be more of a meaningful experience for the country.

I think before Australlia can host the World Cup, they should prove that they can qualify for the WOrld Cup. I know China has qualified once for 2002 World Cup.

In that way, it can be more of a meaningful experience for the country.

Australia has qualified once, so far, for 1974 in West Germany.

It will play off, home and away, against either Uruguay, Colombia or Chile later this year to qualify for Germany 2006. If we do make it, then you'll start to see some real momentum building up internally to support a bid. If we don't, forget it!

So with Blater now declaring the rotation system dead after 2014, ASIA is looking more and more likely as front runners for 2018.

Also with Australia now part of the Asian division, it has been said that we can not co-host with New Zealand, part of the Oceania division, and also that China wants the chance as well.

China

Australia

England

I think it's totally the opposite... The principal opposition to Europe hosting again was the idea of the rotation (2002 was in Asia, 2006 will be in Europe, 2010 in Africa, 2014 in America... so 2018 should be in Asia/Oceania)... so, without this, Europe will be totally ready for a war of bids... England, Spain, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Azerbaijan  :P

I would love to see Australia hosting... but I think England deserves more.

China

Australia

England

I think it's totally the opposite... The principal opposition to Europe hosting again was the idea of the rotation (2002 was in Asia, 2006 will be in Europe, 2010 in Africa, 2014 in America... so 2018 should be in Asia/Oceania)... so, without this, Europe will be totally ready for a war of bids... England, Spain, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, Azerbaijan  :P

I would love to see Australia hosting... but I think England deserves more.

The rotation system is dead because FIFA wants Europe to host in 2018, England, Spain, Russia and many other countries can bid and win... :;):  :)

Archived