Australia to bid for 2018 WORLD CUP

Okay _ at the risk of inflaming this again (and that's certainly NOT my intention), but has the USA offically expressed any interest in hosting 2018? Apart from the debates here, I haven't heard any official peep out of the US, so are we just debating possibilities?
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Logical to you, perhaps. Utterly nonsensical to me who can see that it is too soon to go back to North America, let alone the USA.

1994 did great things for US football. If any North American country hosts, why shouldn't it be Canada? Do they not deserve the same opportunity?

That's reasonable...but what I'm saying is - and you also seem to be blind to the great success that 1994 and its legacy are -- by 2014, all the regions of the world will have had their go around, so what is so impossible in it swinging back to No. America, yes, the US because you can't take Canada (#84 in FIFA rankings, and they will host a World CUp?  Please) seriously and #38 South Africa - the next host who might NOT even get into 2006?   Mexico? They've had it twice.  

Blatter's remark doesn't mean anything.  He may not even be in power come 2011.   Well, Soccer USA had targeted 2014 -- a good 20 years after 1994 -- as the return of the WC.  But given FIFA's rotational intentions, they have bowed out of 2014 ambitions and are lining up for 2018.  So be prepared for an exciting match in 2011 or whenever that will be.  

The US is the logical place for 2018 to come to.  It doesn't matter whether you or any of the other yahoos here agree or not.

I can't see the World Cup being hosted five hours (At least) behind Europe twice in a row. Perhaps it will return to North America after 2018, but I can't see it happening just after Brazil have hosted it.

And with what Blatter said England have to be favorates even if he isn't head of FIFA when the voting takes place. (Let's hope he isn't because he's a blight on the game.)

Okay _ at the risk of inflaming this again (and that's certainly NOT my intention), but has the USA offically expressed any interest in hosting 2018? Apart from the debates here, I haven't heard any official peep out of the US, so are we just debating possibilities?

No; it's still too far away - and Soccer USA knows that 2010 and 2014 are spoken for.   As I said, 2014 was in their crosshairs before FIFA made the 2010 and 2014 announcements, so WC dreams have been placed on the backburner, and I assume will be activated for 2018 -- when a few more modern stadia will also have been added to the pipeline.

The Kardia Kid wrote:

I can't see the World Cup being hosted five hours (At least) behind Europe twice in a row. Perhaps it will return to North America after 2018, but I can't see it happening just after Brazil have hosted it.

Well, if they're doing 2 southern hemisphere WCs in a row, why not another 5-hour delayed tournament for Europe?  That's not No. America's fault.  Why will Brazil get a special break and not the US?  Half of FIFA's partners are US companies.  Besides, with CONCACAF, you get a 450 million+ market as well --nearly as large as Europe (w/o Russia).  

Why should it swing back to Europe in 2018 when all the regions are equal partners in a World Cup?

No; it's still too far away - and Soccer USA knows that 2010 and 2014 are spoken for.   As I said, 2014 was in their crosshairs before FIFA made the 2010 and 2014 announcements, so WC dreams have been placed on the backburner, and I assume will be activated for 2018 -- when a few more modern stadia will also have been added to the pipeline.

The Kardia Kid wrote:

Well, if they're doing 2 southern hemisphere WCs in a row, why not another 5-hour delayed tournament for Europe?  That's not No. America's fault.  Why will Brazil get a special break and not the US?  Half of FIFA's partners are US companies.  Besides, with CONCACAF, you get a 450 million+ market as well --nearly as large as Europe (w/o Russia).  

Why should it swing back to Europe in 2018 when all the regions are equal partners in a World Cup?

Because most of the voters are from Europe... and if a country of Europe bids then they will vote it... :P

And you can't compare Brazil with the USA... BRAZIL HAS WON 5 WORLD CUPS AND COUNTING, HOW MANY WORLD CUPS HAS WON THE USA? :sleepy:

EUROPE WILL GET 2018, YOUR OPINION DON'T COUNT IN THE BALLOTS OF THE FIFA... :alien:

The Kardia Kid wrote:

Because most of the voters are from Europe... and if a country of Europe bids then they will vote it... :P

And you can't compare Brazil with the USA... BRAZIL HAS WON 5 WORLD CUPS AND COUNTING, HOW MANY WORLD CUPS HAS WON THE USA? :sleepy:

EUROPE WILL GET 2018, YOUR OPINION DON'T COUNT IN THE BALLOTS OF THE FIFA... :alien:

well, how many other countries are there like Brazil if you think in terms of soccer?  None.  All you think of are in terms of sport.  It takes more than just pure love of sport to stage a 21st century WC.  Going by your illogic, then how come France, South Africa and Mexico 2x get it w/o even winning a WC?  Why did they even split 2002 between 2 countries, neither of which has a strong soccer tradition?  

Because it's all about SPREADING IT OUT -- building bridges to enforce the game's universal appeal. Duh.  It's not about just returning it to Europe everytime.  Then why have they even taken it out of E at all, eeeh?  

You size up a situation in the narrowest of terms, mikel.  I really wonder how you got into the Sp. foreign service?  Bribery?  Patronage perhaps?  :suspect:  And you know what -- neither does your opinion count in FIFA circles.  :rolleyes:

Waht has the southern hemisphere got to do with it? South Africa for instance is perfect for European T.V. market. The would cup will always be played in Euopean summer time because besides Scandinavia it's when the leagues are in their off season.

Waht has the southern hemisphere got to do with it? South Africa for instance is perfect for European T.V. market. The would cup will always be played in Euopean summer time because besides Scandinavia it's when the leagues are in their off season.

Seasonal consideration.  

Well, dang!  I guess FIFA hadn't considered that for 2014 in giving it to Brazil and when they gave it to Korea/Japan 3 years ago, did they?  :rolleyes:  I'm surprised they didn't mandate that Korea/Japan, and I guess Brazil -- and all future non-European hosts, to stage matches at 2:00 or 3:00 am. local time, so that it will be convenient for Europe?  Heck, if it'll be most inconvenient for European fans, why move it out at all?  

I think they should scrub the records and show that all WCs were held in Europe and that only European nations won it.  Yeah, that's easy.  Hell, even change the body's name to FEFA!!

Seasonal consideration.  

Well, dang!  I guess FIFA hadn't considered that for 2014 in giving it to Brazil and when they gave it to Korea/Japan 3 years ago, did they?  :rolleyes:  I'm surprised they didn't mandate that Korea/Japan, and I guess Brazil -- and all future non-European hosts, to stage matches at 2:00 or 3:00 am. local time, so that it will be convenient for Europe?  Heck, if it'll be most inconvenient for European fans, why move it out at all?  

I think they should scrub the records and show that all WCs were held in Europe and that only European nations won it.  Yeah, that's easy.  Hell, even change the body's name to FEFA!!

We already have the UEFA and the EuroCup, baron... :rolleyes:  :sleepy:

Seasonal consideration.  

We already have the UEFA and the EuroCup, baron... :rolleyes:  :sleepy:

I know that.  Duh.

But that's apparently not enough for you Euro's -- so why bother to disguise FIFA as an 'international body' when all you really want to is run it as another facade for European soccer?  :down:  I mean drop the hypocrisy already -- then there wouldn't be a need for discussions like this.   :sleepy:

"The 2018 Football World Cup will be the 21st edition of the FIFA World Cup.

FIFA has not named which continental zone will hosting the finals tournament in 2018, but they are expected to continue with the policy of rotating the right to host the World Cup amongst the different confederations. It is therefore likely that the World Cup will return to either Asia (last hosted by South Korea and Japan in 2002) or possibly Europe (Germany are hosts in 2006).

Countries that have announced their interest include the Netherlands and Belgium. Unlike the World Cup 2002 in South Korea and Japan, there will be no transportation problems because there is an open border between the two countries, and no body of water separating them. These two countries have already hosted Euro 2000. Also, Spain (which hosted the event in 1982) has shown interest in staging the tournament.

Australia and New Zealand are expected to launch a joint bid for the tournament. It is unlikely that Oceania will be included in the continental rotation, due to the small number of countries that could feasibly host the tournament, so they would be most likely to bid against countries from the Asian Football Confederation

Although unofficially, England has also announced interest in hosting the event, after London's successful bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics. England previously hosted the tournament in 1966, and would be the fifth or sixth nation to organize two World Cups."

So...?  There's nothing new there.  :suspect:

And what are we?  A good 6 years from the probable selection year?  

Have I to repeat that?

Said anything about the "CONCACAF'S turn", the USA's intention to bid or the USA's turn to host?? :sleepy:  :rolleyes:

So...?  There's nothing new there.  :suspect:

And what are we?  A good 6 years from the probable selection year?  

Have I to repeat that?

Said anything about the "CONCACAF'S turn", the USA's intention to bid or the USA's turn to host?? :sleepy:  :rolleyes:

It's a good 6 years away.

#1 - It doesn't mean whatever the article says will come to pass.  :rolleyes:

#2 - I think the US will move if FIFA's intentions are clearer.  If FIFA decides 2018 must go to Europe or it will be a wide, open race, then the more prudent bids will act accordingly.

Nothing said today is cast in stone.   :sleepy:

Seasonal consideration.  

You are replying to my quote, but the two have nothing in common with each other.

GOD - you guys are carrying on like a bunch of xenophobic children!!!!!

The Answer is simple -

Netherlands / Belgium interested in bidding

England interested in bidding

Australia / New Zealand will bid

USA may be interested in bidding but no information available on this intention yet.

SIMPLE - It is many years away and EACH has its own story to tell, its own opportunity, its own legacy to leave.

But to carry on this way is just crazy. It is only sport for gods sake. Get a grip and move on.

GOD - you guys are carrying on like a bunch of xenophobic children!!!!!

The Answer is simple -

Netherlands / Belgium interested in bidding

England interested in bidding

Australia / New Zealand will bid

USA may be interested in bidding but no information available on this intention yet.

SIMPLE - It is many years away and EACH has its own story to tell, its own opportunity, its own legacy to leave.

But to carry on this way is just crazy. It is only sport for gods sake. Get a grip and move on.

And Spain interesting in bidding also... :rolleyes:

Belgium isn't interesting in bidding as far as I know. I read they think the world cup is too big for them and they didn't show any intrest in a joint bid with The Netherlands.

Blatter has welcomed a Dutch bid - he usually welcomes all bids - and said that they should bid alone 'cause FIFA don't want a joint world cup again.

The Dutch FA (KNVB) is interesting in bidding for 2018 after the succesfull FIFA World Youth Championship last summer. Our stadiums aren't big enough though and I doubt the government is willing to tribute a lot of money to upgrate them. I don't really take a Dutch bid serious for now.

Belgium isn't interesting in bidding as far as I know. I read they think the world cup is too big for them and they didn't show any intrest in a joint bid with The Netherlands.

Blatter has welcomed a Dutch bid - he usually welcomes all bids - and said that they should bid alone 'cause FIFA don't want a joint world cup again.

The Dutch FA (KNVB) is interesting in bidding for 2018 after the succesfull FIFA World Youth Championship last summer. Our stadiums aren't big enough though and I doubt the government is willing to tribute a lot of money to upgrate them. I don't really take a Dutch bid serious for now.

Exactly.  That article is half absurd.

Exactly.  That article is half absurd.

Yeah, but the rest of the countries are real... and where is the USA? Anywhere!!!

Archived