The Olympic Cauldron

Land elevation goes up from False Creek to the Fraser River, that's a distance of about 12-kms...and somewhere in the middle, it peaks at about 500 feet. There are sections where it just drops off at Broadway.

The only way of cauldron overkill I would really like is the Lord of the Rings style:

That would be the coolest thing to ever happen at the Olympics since Sydney's wallfall effect. Maybe they could so something similar to that to light the cauldron in Whristler. :lol:

The only way of cauldron overkill I would really like is the Lord of the Rings style:

That would be the coolest thing to ever happen at the Olympics since Sydney's wallfall effect. Maybe they could so something similar to that to light the cauldron in Whristler. :lol:

loll...more ideally, maybe in Vancouver....Vancouver's skyline is backdropped by the North Shore Mountains:

Wikipeida:

* Black Mountain (1217m) A forested summit overlooking Horseshoe Bay. Ski runs on the northern slopes are managed by the Cypress Mountain Resort.

* Hollyburn Mountain (1325m) A popular hiking destination. Commonly known as Hollyburn Ridge and the location of an old alpine recreation community dating back to the early years of the 20th Century. It is the site of the only groomed cross-country ski trails in the Lower Mainland.

* Mount Strachan (1454m) Ski runs on the southern slopes are managed by the Cypress Mountain Resort.

Grouse Area

* Mount Fromme (1185m) A large forested summit dome, often seen but seldom visited. This mountain is noted for the mountain biking trails on its south slopes.

* Grouse Mountain (1231m) Site of a very popular ski area, and the popular hiking trail Grouse Grind.

View of Crown Mountain from Vancouver's Chinatown.

* Goat Mountain (1401m) Another popular alpine hiking destination, very conveniently located near the top of the Grouse Mountain aerial tramway.

* Crown Mountain (1504m) An exposed granite pyramid ringed by sheer cliffs.

Cathedral/Lynn Range

* Lynn Peak (1015m) A small forested mountain, nevertheless a popular hiking destination due to ease of access.

* The Needles (1258m) An isolated series of ridge-top summits north of Lynn Peak.

* Coliseum Mountain (1441m) A remote alpine area consisting of a series of gentle granite exposures.

* Mount Burwell (1541m) A remote granite dome located at the limit of legal backcountry access.

* Cathedral Mountain (1737m) Among the tallest and most prominent of the North Shore Mountains, but off-limits due to its location within the GVRD watershed.

Fannin Range

* Mount Seymour (1449m) Good trails and convenient access by road make Seymour a local classic hiking area. Downhill ski area in winter.

* Mount Elsay (1419m) A remote backcountry peak located beyond Seymour.

* Mount Bishop (1509m) A rarely climbed peak in the remote northern region of Mt. Seymour Provincial Park.

Lions Area

* The Lions (1654m) Probably the most famous peaks in the North Shore Mountains. These mountains, a pair of twin granite domes, are visually distinctive and can be seen from much of the Greater Vancouver area.

* Mount Harvey (1652m) An isolated alpine peak located near the Lions.

* Brunswick Mountain (1788m) The highest of the North Shore mountains, located north of Mount Harvey.

Hey you're in New York so don't pretend you know the landscape here. There are no hills in that area.

You maybe should sometime go outside and walk... enjoy the sun in Vancouver as today !

I was living in Broadway at Manitoba Street (the one just in front of that red building) a few years ago and I guarantee you that when you were walking from 1st avenue... you have to climb !!!! And the view on Broadway is pretty nice on False Creek...

Be careful, when you look at pictures taken with a telephoto. Telephoto reduces distances, depth ...

That's rather beefy signpost for such a slim one line of vertical text????

Maybe, but did you notice not only the width, but also the depth of that object? To me, it appears as if it's not very deep -- that means: it rather looks like a ruler sticking out of the ground -- quite wide but not very deep, thus being a rather flat object. I deem it highly unlikely that in such a flat object, there's a gas tube hidden.

Wrong direction Mr. X. The salt building and the Cauldron tower are on the other side of the Cambie bridge which is flater. The shot there is of the Hospital which is around the 1000 block of Broadway. Yes there's a hill there, climbed it many times. The Salt building and Cauldron tower are way to the east closer to Science World and that area is in the flats.

Right behind that Salt building is City TV on West 2nd. That area is in the flats.

I will take pics tommorow

Wrong direction Mr. X. The salt building and the Cauldron tower are on the other side of the Cambie bridge which is flater. The shot there is of the Hospital which is around the 1000 block of Broadway. Yes there's a hill there, climbed it many times. The Salt building and Cauldron tower are way to the east closer to Science World and that area is in the flats.

Right behind that Salt building is City TV on West 2nd. That area is in the flats.

I will take pics tommorow

I’m sorry to interrupt such an interesting argument from what seems to be who fairly interesting posters, but I have to ask. Towerguy, we know that Mr. X hails from Vancouver, but, as least I don’t know when you’re from. Are you also from Vancouver, because that would make a lot of since to me.

So I was thinking, Indianapolis (which is my second home) is home to the Hoosier Dome (later named the RCA Dome), which also just happens to have an inflatable roof. So I did some research and found that the Hoosier Dome hosted the closing ceremonies of the 1987 PanAm Games, which think also has a cauldron. So for the closing ceremonies to be traditional and all, they should have a cauldron inside the stadium, so they could extinguish it to end the games. Now that requires a big flame to be under an inflatable roof, and now I’m rambling on, point is a huge open flame was under an inflatable roof, and the Hoosier Dome did not blow up, I know because I saw it when they deflated it in 2008. So wouldn’t that work the same with BC Place in Vancouver? :unsure:

So I was thinking, Indianapolis (which is my second home) is home to the Hoosier Dome (later named the RCA Dome), which also just happens to have an inflatable roof. So I did some research and found that the Hoosier Dome hosted the closing ceremonies of the 1987 PanAm Games, which think also has a cauldron. So for the closing ceremonies to be traditional and all, they should have a cauldron inside the stadium, so they could extinguish it to end the games. Now that requires a big flame to be under an inflatable roof, and now I’m rambling on, point is a huge open flame was under an inflatable roof, and the Hoosier Dome did not blow up, I know because I saw it when they deflated it in 2008. So wouldn’t that work the same with BC Place in Vancouver? :unsure:

Please, don't start that discussion -- you only add fuel to the fire.

As being a person obsessed with ceremonies, i got to answer AdisterBryce statement :lol: . Yes, the closing ceremony of the X Pan Am Games were on the Hossier Dome (called RCA Dome some time after, which was demolished two years ago), a stadium which has more or less the same characteristics of the BC Place. And yes, there was a cauldron.

However, the cauldron was very small and it was located on a small stage built inside the Hossier Dome. There is a vid on Youtube on which, if you look carefuly, you can spot a small cauldron with the games logo, as a Gospel choir was performing on the CC:

As being a person obsessed with ceremonies, i got to answer AdisterBryce statement :lol: . Yes, the closing ceremony of the X Pan Am Games were on the Hossier Dome (called RCA Dome some time after, which was demolished two years ago), a stadium which has more or less the same characteristics of the BC Place. And yes, there was a cauldron.

However, the cauldron was very small and it was located on a small stage built inside the Hossier Dome. There is a vid on Youtube on which, if you look carefuly, you can spot a small cauldron with the games logo, as a Gospel choir was performing on the CC:

Ikarus/Jose, you do find the darndest videos!! BTW, you are mentioned in the Foreword to my book.

It's an interesting choice to apply the signage with that "Sheath", if it is permanent. I suppose it may have been an easier proposition to apply the graphic than directly applied it to the plinth with paint or vinyl, but it would be quite an effort to custom make that tailored "sheath" as well. It could be removable.

totemvillage.jpg

Is it the orangey gold thing in the centre of the stage, propped up on poles behind the singers in turquoise robes?

Edited by Kendegra

I couldn't see that Pan Am cauldron at all! Is it the large item at the back of the stage?

Blame the quality of the vid XD. That tower behind the choir guys is a small cauldron indeed. The flame on the Indianapolis 87 OC was somewhat small as well.

Picture of this "thing" on the Village Plaza... it's not close to the building...

023saltdistance.jpg

And the famous Salt House (that it's trully in the Olympic Village....) with their all new rings from today !

023saltgreen.jpg

Pictures thanks to the great blog http://2010vanfan.ca/