• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There only is one way to use the term English/British. I was merely correcting a mistake in the hope to cast some truth on a situation. Facts are facts. If I said New Zealand was a colony of Mars I wo

No, what I said is that from the aerial picture, the way in which the structure's are are constructed evoke the form of a Tipi thus the unspecified structure could be a stylized form resembling a tipi

This is my post which I have quoted. Someone has given it a negative mark and thus thinks it is a 'bad' post. NOTHING wrote above is offensive, racist, bad, evil, nasty etc. Infact, I was defending

Here someone has a birds eye view of the construction of what is being claimed as another cauldron at the International Broadcast centre. Courtesy of 'Geoff in Vancouver' on Flickr:

overhead1.jpg

Also, here is the same structure from ground level. Courtesy of 'Susan Grittins' on Flickr:

4285670522_def6450529.jpg

Apparently, the 'structure' resembles a kind of cross hatched Tee-pee sorta thing. Apologies if the pics have been posted before.

• Like 1

It looks like there are five sections for the flames with the central pillar being the tallest one. So, using a little speculation, how does this, if indeed it is a cauldron of sorts, relate to what will be seen in the opening ceremony?

The fact that it is at the Broadcasting centre could be for logical reasons - the press is there and thus it will be an enduring location for the flame to be broadcast around the world. Whereas, a cauldron in an empty stadium might look weird.

So, is this what the actual cauldron will look like as if it is going to be the main shot it will presumably have continuity with the one in the stadium?

Oh, speculation! lol. :)

• Like 1

That looks pretty weird, to be honest -- and if that is the final shape (or at least approximate to the final shape, with three flame outlets at the end of long pipes), it's even uglier than the very industrial-looking "burning chimney" cauldrons of Athens and Torino. Cauldrons with bowls or dishes (or at least with another sort of wide flame, like in Beijing) look simply better and more impressive in my opinion. And I don't think that they'll put a bowl or dish on top of those three outlets, since the one outlet we see on the second photo seems to be taller than the other two outlets.

But although I'm not very optimistic about that design, I'll wait and see. Maybe it's a still completely unimaginable and extremely innovative shape we will be impressed of in the end. ;)

I personally don't think that the cauldron is complete - I think they are waiting until the last minute to assemble the pieces, which will extend far beyond the secretive shrouding, so as not to 'give it away'. The pieces as they stand look unfinished, and it's a relatively short cauldron right now.

That's my belief, and my hope.

I personally don't think that the cauldron is complete - I think they are waiting until the last minute to assemble the pieces, which will extend far beyond the secretive shrouding, so as not to 'give it away'. The pieces as they stand look unfinished, and it's a relatively short cauldron right now.

That's my belief, and my hope.

:rolleyes: i think you are right, and I hope so.

It looks like Torino's to me, but it does look short. I was going to suggest maybe it'll rise from the ground, but, if I understand correctly, this won't be the main cauldron will it? Such an elaborate mechanism might be overkill.

It look like a teepee.Teepee_Erecting2.gif

Yeah, it looks like a contemporary tee-pee with five pillars, perhaps representing the five continents.

Although speculation, my guess is that this relates to the cauldron inside BC place and is a visible outdoor one used for promo shots for the TV companies. Shooting a cauldron in an empty stadium would look strange on TV.

• Like 1

Yeah, it looks like a contemporary tee-pee with five pillars, perhaps representing the five continents.

Although speculation, my guess is that this relates to the cauldron inside BC place and is a visible outdoor one used for promo shots for the TV companies. Shooting a cauldron in an empty stadium would look strange on TV.

Don't be ignorant now.

Tipis are often stereotypically associated to all native peoples of North America, but they're only used in the Great Plains. Not along the Pacific coast.

Don't be ignorant now.

Tipis are often stereotypically associated to all native peoples of North America, but they're only used in the Great Plains. Not along the Pacific coast.

Ignorant?

What, comparing the structure of the 'thing' outside the IBC to a Tipi? I guess everyone who sees a similarity must be ignorant. It does look like a tipi.

And what are you mentioning native people for - I haven't even said anything about them. I am only talking, as others have, about WHAT THE STRUCTURE BING BUILT MAY BE AND WHAT IT RESEMBLES FROM THE BIRDSEYE PIC.

• Like 1

Ignorant?

What, comparing the structure of the 'thing' outside the IBC to a Tipi? I guess everyone who sees a similarity must be ignorant. It does look like a tipi.

And what are you mentioning native people for - I haven't even said anything about them. I am only talking, as others have, about WHAT THE STRUCTURE BING BUILT MAY BE AND WHAT IT RESEMBLES FROM THE BIRDSEYE PIC.

In general, there is a lot of misconception out there about North American native culture. So to think that structure outside Vancouver's IBC could be a tipi is probably unsubstantiated, when tipis have no relation to native culture in that part of the continent. I assumed you agreed that it was going to end up being a tipi because you didn't say otherwise.

So did you always know the above about tipis and therefore thought the structure unlikely to being a tipi and just agreed about its looking like a tipi?

Because if you did, I totally take the ignorant call back. :)

I highly doubt it's a tipi, but rather representative of the Four First Host Nations. The four column that are angled represent the Four First Host Nations (aboriginal tribes where Vancouver and Whistler are) and the middle vertical column is representative of Canada.