Er. Tipis did occur in BC's flat northeast, and in the dry valley and mountain regions pithouses were used, and they have tops that are tipi-esque in shape but much more shallow like a dome on top of a large dugout in the earth.

Not that any of this matters of course.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There only is one way to use the term English/British. I was merely correcting a mistake in the hope to cast some truth on a situation. Facts are facts. If I said New Zealand was a colony of Mars I wo

No, what I said is that from the aerial picture, the way in which the structure's are are constructed evoke the form of a Tipi thus the unspecified structure could be a stylized form resembling a tipi

This is my post which I have quoted. Someone has given it a negative mark and thus thinks it is a 'bad' post. NOTHING wrote above is offensive, racist, bad, evil, nasty etc. Infact, I was defending

I highly doubt it's a tipi, but rather representative of the Four First Host Nations. The four column that are angled represent the Four First Host Nations (aboriginal tribes where Vancouver and Whistler are) and the middle vertical column is representative of Canada.

That's a good observation, I guess. And now, having a second look on the picture it really might be that there are five (not three, as I originally said) flame outlets: One at the end of each pipe/pillar. And if those four surrounding pipes really symbolise the Four First Host Nations and the fifth outstanding pipe symbolises Canada as the "unifying force" for those four First Nations, it would be an interesting symbol. Although I still think that it could look pretty underwhelming despite that interesting message.

And by the way: I suppose that the purists among the First Nations could deem it quite controversial that with that cauldron, Canada could present itself as standing out against the four First Nations.

Maybe we're reading too much into that picture already, but again: I really think that your explanation is very plausible.

• Like 1

So has Mr. X found the concept behind the Vancouver 2010 cauldron? I somehow have the sensation that we've got a winner here. Especially since Mr. X seems to have some insider information about the ceremonies.

And thus I already have a idea who will light the cauldron: They will have, of course, a smaller version of that "First Nations/Canada" cauldron inside BC Place. Four First Nations representatives and one famous Canadian Winter Olympian each will light the inside and the outside cauldrons synchronously. So we'll have ten final torch bearers.

Just my guess -- I have nothing to do with VANOC.

Or the alternative scenario:

The outside cauldron will be lit artificially (sadly, not a uncommon practice by now in Olympic history) while the inside cauldron will be lit with the original flame by five final torchbearers (four from the respective First Nations, one Canadian athlete). That way, the cauldron lighting would be less irritating than having to watch ten different persons at two different locations fumble around the two cauldrons. That would not be very suitable especially for television.

Furthermore, there will be a delay between the lighting of the inside cauldron and the outside cauldron. After the inside cauldron is lit, they'll pretend somehow that the flame "travels" to the outside cauldron (maybe by fireworks, maybe by a totally innovative method).

All in all, it could be stunning.

Here's my idea: the inside cauldron will be lit first: they will encase a lighter in the interior BC place cauldron. Shoot him out to the exterior one where he/she/it will then light the outside one. If Eddie the Eagle or Elvis Stojcko are not availalbe, then TowerGuy3 will be the new Rocket/Kaboom man!! We all know he's been auditioning for the spot. It may or may not work...no guarantees for Mr. YellowVest/Towerguy!!

In general, there is a lot of misconception out there about North American native culture. So to think that structure outside Vancouver's IBC could be a tipi is probably unsubstantiated, when tipis have no relation to native culture in that part of the continent. I assumed you agreed that it was going to end up being a tipi because you didn't say otherwise.

So did you always know the above about tipis and therefore thought the structure unlikely to being a tipi and just agreed about its looking like a tipi?

Because if you did, I totally take the ignorant call back. :)

No, what I said is that from the aerial picture, the way in which the structure's are are constructed evoke the form of a Tipi thus the unspecified structure could be a stylized form resembling a tipi. Nothing more, nothing less.

All this talk of ignorance which you are saying is way out of line. No-one was was even relating the aerial pic of the structure outside the IBC to native culture but merely just speculating to what it could be. As you can see, a few people saw a resemblance to a tipi.

So, calls of ignorance were wrong as people were just speculating about what the structure could be.

• Like 2

Here's my idea.

The inside cauldron will be lit and the roof will explode and collapse and the entire stadium will become one huge cauldron. This will ensure quick evacuation after the ceremony.

It is very interesting indeed to speculate as to what will happen come the opening ceremony.

I personally believe that the structure outside the IBC is a cauldron of sorts. I also suspect that it has to relate to the indoor ceremony and of course the cauldron lighting.

Who knows.

• Like 2

The lighting of the Olympic cauldron is a symbolic event to represent that the Games have begun. That single event will happen inside BC Place Stadium and that will be the main flame. No doubt, other flames will burn at other areas in the city near venues and vistas. But they will probably just be lit on the side. No elaborate ceremony. And really, there needn't be one.

No, what I said is that from the aerial picture, the way in which the structure's are are constructed evoke the form of a Tipi thus the unspecified structure could be a stylized form resembling a tipi. Nothing more, nothing less.

All this talk of ignorance which you are saying is way out of line. No-one was was even relating the aerial pic of the structure outside the IBC to native culture but merely just speculating to what it could be. As you can see, a few people saw a resemblance to a tipi.

So, calls of ignorance were wrong as people were just speculating about what the structure could be.

This is my post which I have quoted.

Someone has given it a negative mark and thus thinks it is a 'bad' post.

NOTHING wrote above is offensive, racist, bad, evil, nasty etc. Infact, I was defending myself and others on this thread from being labelled ignorant just for happily speculating that the Vancouver 2010 cauldron might be evocative of the form of a tipi. The poster NY20?? tried to say people comparing the structure being built at the IBC to a tipi were being ignorant when infact we were merely speculating, in a nice manner, about the Olympic cauldron design.

My post did not deserve a negative mark and demonstrates how this reputation system is open to abuse. I have sourced pistures for this thread and contributed to it - and then I get given negative marks for merely comparing the cauldron design to a tipi. How silly.

• Like 1

I have given the post a positive mark -- now the rating is at 0 again. Can we now return to the actual subject, please?

I'm quite surprised that no one else really commented on Mr. X' musings about the cauldron resembling the four First Nations of the Olympic host region and Canada.

• Like 1

I have given the post a positive mark -- now the rating is at 0 again. Can we now return to the actual subject, please?

I'm quite surprised that no one else really commented on Mr. X' musings about the cauldron resembling the four First Nations of the Olympic host region and Canada.

Cheers,

I just hope that people really think about the marks they award so as to stop unnecessary squabbling - I was only making a valid point. Regarding Mr X's comment, I didn't perceive it to be ignorant or anything, let's just clear that up.

I'm not sure if will come to fruition however.

You get your knickers in a knot too easily. So what if someone doesn't like your post, just because it is not what, doesn't mean someone has to like it. Everything isn't a personal attack to you.

• Like 2

You get your knickers in a knot too easily. So what if someone doesn't like your post, just because it is not what, doesn't mean someone has to like it. Everything isn't a personal attack to you.

It is when I have said nothing wrong and still get marked down. Clearly that's not right. Just look at the some of the marks being dished out to my comments - what is there to be possibly offended by to give a person a negative mark? I was given a negative mark for speculating that the cauldron looks like a tipi. C'mon, that's just vindictive.

And I don't unnecessarily get my knickers in a twist - that's extremely rude of you to say that considering I have contacted you in the past by way of a Private message explaining various situations which were one sided racist attacks on me i.e Jim Jones situation. It's sad you would say that.

• Like 4

His entitled to express his views - just as your entitled to complain if someone uses English/British in a way you don't like.

There only is one way to use the term English/British. I was merely correcting a mistake in the hope to cast some truth on a situation. Facts are facts. If I said New Zealand was a colony of Mars I would be wrong. Simple. Same for saying that England is solely Britain - that is factually wrong and to some people offensive.

Anyway, I am only bringing this up because you raised the issue.

• Like 3

Absolutely. Could we finally have some comments on Mr. X's theory about the idea behind the cauldron (beside the one oakydoky already meade), please? I think that theory is too interesting to be overlooked.

And while you're at it, I'm also interested in what you think about my two lighting scenarios posted above.

• Like 1

Could it be a "camp fire?" At the centre of BC Place there could be a "camp fire" at the centre of the stadium... It would make sense to have something linked to nature, since that seems to be the main theme of the graphic identity/look of the Games.

As for lighting the cauldron outside the stadium by the waterfront, it'll probably be by fireworks. Or they'll do something virtual - like a having a starry sky on the roof of BC Place and then a 'shooting star' will streak from one end to the other to appear like it's gone beyond the confines of the stadium, which would 'light' the cauldrons in Whistler and the second one in Vancouver.

• Like 2

It has been confirmed that the convention centre/media centre precinct will be open to the public. That means Canada Place and Jack Poole Plaza (outdoor cauldron) will be open to the public. However, vehicles will be restricted from passage.

It has been confirmed that the convention centre/media centre precinct will be open to the public. That means Canada Place and Jack Poole Plaza (outdoor cauldron) will be open to the public. However, vehicles will be restricted from passage.

That really is great news

Canada Place the building itself will not be open to the public, however, nor will the promenade, but I imagine the plaza will be. I didn't really get into specifics, but the area will definitely be open to pedestrian traffic.

Here's my take on the cauldron(s):

1. THe inside one in BC Place: I don't think it will be so grand that it will dominate the evening's proceedings. I think it will be of a certain SAFE size that will fulfill the "cauldron" requirement and will also be the continuing image for the Awards Ceremonies.

2. I think the jumbotron screen(s) inside will do the job of transitioning a bigger lighting outside AND the fireworks to the 60,000 or so people inside BC Place on 2/12!!