Istanbul 2020

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The match-fixing has nothing to do with Istanbul's Olympic prospects, and wont affect it. Just like the match-fixing scandal in Italy (Juventus) woundnt have affected Rome's bid. I think you're looking at Istanbul's bid through "glass half empty" lenses at every opportunity.

I just haven't seen much that is positive from Istanbul so far.

I do think that corruption in high levels of sport organization will be noticed and considered by the IOC.

I do think that corruption in high levels of sport organization will be noticed and considered by the IOC.

Oh come on, it's not uncommon. We've had some pretty high profile match fixing and corruption scandals in our various codes of football, and cricket, here as well. I think it's a bit like doping - no country can really take a high ground.

Oh come on, it's not uncommon. We've had some pretty high profile match fixing and corruption scandals in our various codes of football, and cricket, here as well. I think it's a bit like doping - no country can really take a high ground.

Of course. Corruption is rampant. I still don't think they'll totally disregard it.

Athens is not a fan of Istanbul bid from the start :D

Honestly, I like the IDEA of Istanbul a lot. So far I'm not convinced that this bid team can deliver the goods.

Athensfan If something like match-fixing in football was going to affect anyone's decision it would surely be UEFA and we know they want Turkey. China's human rights record didnt affect Beijing 2008, so I cant see something like match-fixing in another sport affecting Istanbul 2020. Criticism is fine, but I dont think I've read a post of yours where you havent crticized the Istanbul bid team. In your books they cant do anything right..they deserve a fair go I think.

not sure if its official but, here is the first advert of Istanbul 2020 applicant city....

legendary city legendary games...:D

and 0,19 is my university also one of the oldest ones Istanbul University :D been 10 years not to see that gate...

Athensfan If something like match-fixing in football was going to affect anyone's decision it would surely be UEFA and we know they want Turkey. China's human rights record didnt affect Beijing 2008, so I cant see something like match-fixing in another sport affecting Istanbul 2020. Criticism is fine, but I dont think I've read a post of yours where you havent crticized the Istanbul bid team. In your books they cant do anything right..they deserve a fair go I think.

Did you read my last post? I have nothing against Istanbul. No axe to grind. No prejudice. Nothing. In fact, I like the idea of Istanbul a great deal. Eurasian Olympics. Emerging country. Exotic locale. First Games in a predominantly Muslim country. All intriguing.

As for the bid itself, I cannot point to anything I think Istanbul has done well so far. PR? No. Logo? No. Venue plan? Not much of an improvement over their past unsuccessful efforts. Charismatic bid leaders? Not really. Clear bid message? I'm not sure what their message is other than "We're really serious this time, don't give the Euro a second thought."

What is it that I'm supposed to praise? Perhaps Istanbul will mount a brilliant campaign, but so far I haven't seen it. They have a lot going for them, but as a new frontier hoping to follow a new frontier, they need to prove themselves. What have they demonstrated so far?

Did you read my last post? I have nothing against Istanbul. No axe to grind. No prejudice. Nothing. In fact, I like the idea of Istanbul a great deal. Eurasian Olympics. Emerging country. Exotic locale. First Games in a predominantly Muslim country. All intriguing.

As for the bid itself, I cannot point to anything I think Istanbul has done well so far. PR? No. Logo? No. Venue plan? Not much of an improvement over their past unsuccessful efforts. Charismatic bid leaders? Not really. Clear bid message? I'm not sure what their message is other than "We're really serious this time, don't give the Euro a second thought."

What is it that I'm supposed to praise? Perhaps Istanbul will mount a brilliant campaign, but so far I haven't seen it. They have a lot going for them, but as a new frontier hoping to follow a new frontier, they need to prove themselves. What have they demonstrated so far?

Well, you know I'm far from writing Istanbul off yet, but I agree with you on that. It's very true, Istanbul's been running on mere potential and emotion so far, with nothing really much done to market it yet - if anything, yeah, the whole Euro 2020 saga's been the unwelcome distraction. I don't think the marketing's been critically important to date - it's been the technical phase, so lack of a logo and such are of minor importance so far. Anyway, Baku's won by far the marketing campaign up to now, yet I'd think they're about the only one in most minds where there's much doubt about whether they'll make the short list cut or not.

But Istanbul's campaign's really gotta lift a notch now. Assuming they make the list, naturally. I expect they will, but I'd expect to see the applicants report have a few pointed remarks about the Euro bid and various venue issues. It's how they address them and build from here that's gonna decide if this is just Tokyo's for the taking, or whether there's a real race.

The logo unveil is scheduled for this week isn't it? That could be good timing and help them get the media attention immediately after the short list reveal.

Is there a set date for Istanbul's 2020 bid logo? I thought the current simple logo was going to see them through til just after the Quebec decision?

Im pretty sure the whole thing, logo, venue plan, etc. Is going to kick into gear after the announcement in Quebec. Thats what Ive been reading anyways. So I think the cities bid should be judged as of thursday..

OK, after having experienced Istanbul first hand, I have to say it is a fantastic and exciting city. They have some room for improvement, but given that the 2020 Games are 8 years away, those little improvements can be easily made (I found the city's transport system mostly good, but a few little fixes here and there would make it even better). An Olympiad in Istanbul would make for a wonderful experience. They've got my support. :)

I trust that the IOC will make the right decision tomorrow, but for the good of the Olympic movement I hope that decision includes Tokyo and Istanbul.

I don't think it's Madrid's time (they are wasting their money by bidding - it could be that sort of mentality that has put Spain in the problem it is in now); and Baku and Doha just are not the right sort of city to stage the Olympics. I think the only city I can realistically see staging the Games in the Gulf in the next 40 or so years is Dubai.

in 3 years period, 55 billion USD investment will make for transportation in Istanbul. including 150 million capacity 3rd airport, 3 rd bridge connectin asia and europe, channel İstanbul, high speed train and highways,, marmaray ( metro system under Bosphorus ) and another motorway tunnel in same direction.

could be a big big plus for 2020 application cause under water tunnels passing from the asian olympic village and 3rd airport is so close to the main olympic park.

http://gazday.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2112:stanbul-to-receive-55b-investment&catid=1:latestnews&Itemid=111

Archived