Istanbul 2020

Lmfao :lol: gotta love Pounds cander at times.

I just love his remark about maybe "reinstating" bid city visits; "Frankly, I don't how much good these visits are. They bring you to the top of a tall building & tell you, 'look, you see over there, that sinking hill of garbage? Five years from now that'll be an Olympic Village'." lol

And the most intriguiung part about the article, is his view about the Youth Olympics Games. "I don't think this is responsive to any need anywhere in the world". And had he been president, "there would be NO YOG's". Get rid of those redundant Games already.

Also funny, is that he "doesn't mind" his reputation of being an IOC outsider who is not afraid to speak his mind. "You can afford to ask hard questions. One of the reasons we got into trouble a few years ago was that nobody was asking hard questions".

Good for him. Someone's gotta stand up to all the bullshit going on. One of them being the YOGs. We already have a youth Olympics. It's called the Summer Olympics and Winter Olympics. Most of the athletes are already young.

• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But that's ONLY Raña's opinion. And I don't think he's one of the most persuasive top 12 IOC'ers. He'd surely be counted behind a Madrid bid anyway. Further, he said that without Rome or a strong Istanbul in the picture which they are now.

I know. It was only to point out that there are many points of view inside the IOC ;)

Madrid is an amazing city and could really be the best choice. Dont be surprised if everyone considers it the best. I've been last year in madrid and its awesome.

I support Istanbul just saying Madrid its my second choice ;)

on the other hand, if paris and berlin focus on 2024, Eu votes can split into Tokyo or Istanbul even Doha instead of Rome and Madrid. not a race like 2012, but more exciting. its becoming like a mexican drama series...too much scheme and intrique :D

• 5 weeks later...

It makes me wonder how long is Pound going to be able to hold his IOC position. Anyway, it will be interesting for the Turkish government, in Ankara, to divide its time to promote Istanbul for the 2020 Olympic Games. That is because Izmir was confirmed as one of five candidate cities to wanting to host Expo 2020 as well.

More so, I wonder, for an athletic face to the Istanbul bid, whether the team will invite Naim Süleymanoğlu as their spokesman in the future.

The President of Turkey, Abdullah Gul, arrives in London today as he prepares for a three-day state visit to Britain.

The Turkish head of state has a hectic schedule of ceremonial events, public engagements and political talks over the coming days as Britain forges closer links with the country.

Highlights of the state visit will see the President and his wife visit the London 2012 Olympic Park in Stratford, east London on Wednesday with Foreign Secretary William Hague and Lord Coe, London 2012 chairman...

could be th start of Istanbul 2020 int. lobby ...;)

its not st realistic for many of u. but i find an interesting article about istanbul and its horoscope..

My link

a short brief...

Istanbul: Queen of the Cities;

"Muneccims (Astrologers) and prophets who made important predicitions on Istanbul, all said that Istanbul would become more important and famous city in the future. Based on the horoscope of Istanbul, looking more closely at astrological indicators show that this predicition would come true in the nearest future: Key period starts in 2013!"

"According to the Solar Return chart of Istanbul, between the dates of May 2012- May 2013, Sun-Jupiter conjuction is located very close to MC indicates that Istanbul would get more popularity and importance and would be on the agenda of the world more than before.

Period of accomplishment, prestige and popularity will last a long time. In the second half of the 2013, transiting Jupiter will be passing through the Venus/Jupiter conjuction in Cancer which is the luckiest location of the horoscope of Istanbul. This is called Jupiter Return in astrology. From this period of time, Istanbul will be about to embark on a rising period and will be at the peak at the end of the summer in 2013. In mundane astrology, Istanbul is one of the cities that is being ruled by sign of Cancer. Eclipses that took place in Cancer in 2009, 2010, 2011 have affected the popularity of Istanbul in a positive way and increased the importance of Istanbul and speeded up this process. In the second half of the year of 2013, transiting Jupiter will be moving into Cancer and will give momentum to this process. By this transit, Istanbul will be on the agenda of both Turkey and the world. I think that, in the near future, Istanbul will become a very important center in global interactions in terms of political, strategical, economical social, cultural and especially spiritual."

yay.. excellent timing for İstanbul and the 2020 olympic decision :D

Even more, IMHO, with all the financial mess, Turkey is becoming the front-runner... smile.gif

I just thought of something that crossed my mind. If Istanbul manages to win the bid for 2020, will Israel try to boycott the Games? I know that the two countries are not in friendly terms at the moment, but the issue could creep up on the IOC and the bid committee, should the city be selected as a candidate one later next year. With only this number of applicant cities to choose from, I'm quite sure that Istanbul will be chosen to be a candidate city.

I just thought of something that crossed my mind. If Istanbul manages to win the bid for 2020, will Israel try to boycott the Games? I know that the two countries are not in friendly terms at the moment, but the issue could creep up on the IOC and the bid committee, should the city be selected as a candidate one later next year. With only this number of applicant cities to choose from, I'm quite sure that Istanbul will be chosen to be a candidate city.

Well, there were that small group of Israeli parliamentarians who were trying to scotch the bid over Turkey's support for the Gaza flotilla and Turkey's reaction to the Israeli response to it, but they seemed to be an isolated extremist minority in the Knesset. On the other hand, the Government or the Israeli Olympic Committee (can't remember which, it's probably mentioned back in one of these threads) actually publically expressed support for the bid.

I guess it's like Munich's 2018 bid - there was a lot of comment on how they'd react, but Israel itself seemed to have no problem with it.

Naaa only Israel is against Turkey maybe. But Turkey is become a strong contender... I wanna say that TILL THE MOMENT is between Tokyo and Istanbul... If Istanbul changes its old and boring logo they have a real chance :lol:

Naaa only Israel is against Turkey maybe. But Turkey is become a strong contender... I wanna say that TILL THE MOMENT is between Tokyo and Istanbul... If Istanbul changes its old and boring logo they have a real chance :lol:

the rumuors about the bidding inc. new logo new plan new village.. ;) öst prob. another tulip shaped logo can be presented lol:D

another article about 2020 bidding cities Posted by Nicolas Serres on November 29, 2011...not a turk :D

My link

headlines...

STRONG AS THE TURKS!

Turkey’s star is rising fast in the race for the 2020 Summer Olympic Games. The country isn’t just benefiting from the current economic crisis, but also embodies the future.

The signals could not be clearer. At the end of November 2011 the international editions of Time magazine made Recep Tayyip Erdogan their lead story. A full page picture of the Turkish prime minister, arms crossed and direct of gaze, accompanied the title: “Erdogan’s way”. The American newsmagazine paints a new picture: Turkey no longer inspires anxiety and scepticism. It might even inspire envy, for its modernism, economic success and appetite for democracy. Its star is certainly rising within the Olympic movement, to the point where Istanbul is now in pole position among the cities bidding for the 2020 summer games.....

It may be a step too far to guess what condition the Turkish economy will be in by 2020, but choosing Istanbul to host the Summer Olympics certainly does not look like the riskiest option for an IOC that has little enthusiasm for long term gambles. Even better: by choosing the Turkish mega-city, with its current population of 13 million, the Olympic body will satisfy its urge to lay down Historic markers. Built on both banks of the Bosphorus, the former city of Constantinople presents itself as a bridge between Europe and Asia. The idea of seeing it transformed into an Olympic city is currently a considerably more exciting prospect than seeing Rome or Madrid add the five Olympic rings to their names...etc

and also a new arena in asian side will be open next month..

Ülker Sports Arena, is a multi-purpose indoor arena located in the Ataşehir district of Istanbul and planning to open in October 2011. It is owned and will be operated by Fenerbahçe S.K.

The arena with an audience capacity of 15,000-seats, hosts beside national and international sports events such as basketball, volleyball, wrestling and weightlifting, concerts and congresses even has two olympic pools for Fenerbahçe SK swimming branch, five star otel, shopping centers, fast-food cafeterias, restaurants and cinemas. The arena covers an area of approximately 55,000 m2 (550,000 sq ft) and is one of major arenas of the city.

The Fenerbahçe SK's basketball teams (Fenerbahçe Ülker and Fenerbahçe Women's Basketball), volleyball teams (Fenerbahçe Men's Volleyball and Fenerbahçe Women's Volleyball) will play their league matches and Fenerbahçe SK's ameteur branches such as Fenerbahçe Table Tennis, Fenerbahçe Boxing, Fenerbahçe Athletics, Fenerbahçe Swimming also will use the venue.

here are the pics.

2008-10-25_te2.jpg

orjinal_fenerbahce_ulker_arena_11_04_16_01_43_32.jpg

Istanbul 2012 European Capital of Sport selected, the banner of the European Parliament in a ceremony in 2011 took over the capital city of Valencia. Speaking at the ceremony Topbas, Istanbul, European Capital of Sport in 2012, the projects would be a serious preparation for the 2020 Olympic Games said it was done by expressing the actual targets..

Istanbul, Capital of Culture was then the capital of the sport in the now! :)

The logo is the least of Istanbul's problems. They need to change the spread out venue plan and inadequate transportation. They also need to convince the IOC that the military won't be pulling all the strings. That's no small order....

lol.. dude what military???? all generals in the army are in jail accusing for planning coupdetat, if there will be a war in next to our borders we dont have any general to control and lead the whole army :D...

there is nothing about military involving the politics anymore... somehow good some how bad... bt its the realty

about the venue transport plan.. the prime ministers announcment about 2020 bidding had a key inside for these questions and problems. "for 4 times we used the same logo same plan same venues and same theme, if we cant get for 4 times there must be a problem in that parts. now we gonna change it and make a new bidding proccess. 28b USD will spend for olympics not including projected infrastuctural investments in the city and around the olympic village."

thats st very important...

if IOC was that much into politics and how a host country ruled, they wont choose China firstly ;) at least Turkey is a secular and democratic republic, deriving its sovereignty from the people.

I don't think the IOC cares about the type of government. They care about the stability of government and the government's will and ability to deliver safe, successful Games. China certainly offered that. I'm not convinced Turkey does.

Having one's military plotting a coup and throwing them in jail doesn't exactly inspire confidence. There doesn't seem to be much guarantee that the military won't rise again or much guarantee that the current government is stable enough to insure the smooth preparation and safety of Games in 2020.

Turkey must prove that all these worries are completely unfounded. They must assure the IOC that they are rock solid.

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here. I think Istanbul is the most intriguing bid, but they have A LOT to prove and so far they haven't. We'll see what the mini- bid book reveals....

i understand your point. its the same problem turkey and turks always faced. the foreigners that not been to turkey or live here before doenst know the real situation about here.

i really dont like the government we have, never vote for them. but for 10 years we have a stabil politics and government here and seems doesnt change for near future too. they always rising their votes in every elections, starting from % 28 to now % 50, and one of the best things they did in this period they cut every military arm in the politics and make turkey more democratic about this point and changed the laws back the military from judging for their coups before with a referandum asked for us and voted yes about % 60.

My link

My link

having a stabil government doesnt just mean about coups or riots but also the crises the country facing, no one can quarantee italy and spain will not face a public riot like in greece due to economical crises and if they can afford or not, no one can quarantee qatar wont be the next bahrain syria or egypt. can u??

Frankly only 10 years of semi-stable government (including attempted coups) is not a very good track record. Can the IOC be certain that Turkey will make it to 18+ years and the 2020 Games? At this point that seems like a gamble. I'm not sure that's a risk the IOC will take, particularly when they have the option of going to Japan -- a far more stable nation with a stronger sporting tradition and one of the world's greatest metropolises as their candidate city.

Like I said, Istanbul has A LOT to prove.

Frankly only 10 years of semi-stable government (including attempted coups) is not a very good track record. Can the IOC be certain that Turkey will make it to 18+ years and the 2020 Games? At this point that seems like a gamble. I'm not sure that's a risk the IOC will take, particularly when they have the option of going to Japan -- a far more stable nation with a stronger sporting tradition and one of the world's greatest metropolises as their candidate city.

Like I said, Istanbul has A LOT to prove.

neah.. as i said before, i got your point but seeing a country far from her and have some opinions is not the same as u r living inside. there is not a direct coup to the governments of turkey for 30 years. just once military advice the government to step back and change the radical islamic background and behaves 20 years ago for the sake of democracy and secularism. the coups or the militarys too much intend into politics here for protecting the democracy and secularism in last decades. what is good for turks and turkey ( also western countries ) can seen st else from there.

for 2020, AKP most probably will win the next parliement election at 2016 and secure its place till 2020. but dont think so it will be above % 50s. probably between 40/48 area. recep tayyip erdogan will be the president after that as he had his speeches. lol we are thankfull for his desicion cause half of its party has just for his leadership after he resign a more balanced parliament will be. that means no coups no scary islamic turkey nigthmares but much more voices and many ideas in the parliement.

ah as another point of view by 2020 the EU and Turkey negotiations will be end as predicted. what u see as a gamble, i see a more modern and democratic turkey giving chances for all her citizens to live in peace.

if EU and USA see turkey and turkish democracy is threatened by military, it s so silly to show other islamic countries as a model where mostly army and generals rule...

I am certain that you know your country far better than I do. The problem is that the IOC doesn't live inside Turkey. That's why you must convince them. As outsiders, they're not going to just take your word for it when you say Istanbul will deliver great Games. They need demonstrable assurances.

Archived