Istanbul 2020

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great Honour for ıstanbul and Turkey... the city named as the fifth major UN office in the world after NYC, Vienna , Nairobi and Geneva. suiting with the spirit of the city , the office will named and serve as the peace making and mediatorship head quarters of UN.

its announced at D20 meeting in Mexico and will voted at september .

http://www.hurriyet.com.tr/gundem/20806707.asp

flash news.... the sports and youth minister announced that Ataturk Olympic stadium will start to renovate starting this summer. to fullfill an olympic stadia needs in this era.

http://tvarsivi.com/spor-bakanligi-istanbul-da-bulunan-olimpiyat-stadi-ni-2020-olimpiyatlari-icin-bakima-alacak-22-06-2012-izle-i_2012060692537.html

20 million TL ( 15 mUSD) will immideatly finance for the project

Hasn't happened yet and its been almost a month.

No it hasnt...Governments probably too concerned with the internal problems currently gripping ts neighbours... :D ...however I still expect them to make the decision to ditch the Euro.

• 4 weeks later...

Olympic legend backs Istanbul 2020

July 16 - Istanbul's bid to host the 2020 Olympics and Paralympics has received its first signifcant endorsement from a major international figure after Mark Spitz lent it his support.

The American, winner of nine Olympic gold medals, spoke out in favour of the Turkish city after swimming in the Cross-continental Race, a 6.5 kilometre event across the Bosphorus from Kanlıca on the city's Asian side to Kuruçeşme on the European side, organised by the National Olympic Committee of Turkey (NOCT).

Other competitors in the race, which attracted 1,200 entries from 41 countries, included the United States Ambassador to Turkey, Francis Ricciardone.

"Considering how much work will be required to host the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, the organisational ability shown during this race highlights the promise of Istanbul," said Spitz.

"I am here to lend my support to Turkey."

To mark his trip to Turkey Spitz was presented with a towel inscribed with the name of Galatasaray, the country's most popular football team.

Spitz, who is now 62, won two gold medals at Mexico City in 1968 and then seven at Munich four years later, a record that stood until Michael Phelps broke it in Beijing in 2008, a Games which Istanbul had bid unsuccessfully for.

"Turkey has never hosted the Games before, but it has a real chance of being selected for 2020," said Spitz.

"The 2020 Games offer a great opportunity for this country's young population."

Another key feature of Istanbul's 2020 bid, officials claim, is its incorporation of the city's many historic and spectacular landmarks into the Games venues, which will be linked by modern infrastructure.

The potential to include the spectacular backdrop afforded by the city into sports events was showcased by this race, which had swimmers passing under the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge, alongside the Rumeli Hisarı fortress and past riverfront towns.

Spitz's public backing is a welcome boost for Istanbul on the eve of them leaving to attend London 2012 as observers, where they will be joined by 2020 rivals, Madrid and Tokyo.

"When a bid city gets a powerful message of support from one of the most iconic athletes in the history of the Games, it really means something," said Hasan Arat, the leader of Istanbul 2020.

"We do not take it for granted.

"The people of Turkey are greatly heartened by this show of support from Mark Spitz.

"I believe yesterday's race shows the sporting world that Istanbul acts as a bridge between tradition and innovation."

Insidethegames

Hmmm. Nice endorsement - but first bit of PR I've seen from them so far.

Oh, they all weren't that creative, but for me this is definitely the worst. Seems to be a race without any nice logo.

5 doors, a funeral flower bouquet and a single tulip.... 2020 race is not so creative about logos

I'd really like Istanbul to demonstrate why their Olympics won't be a logistical nightmare. The city is just not set up for Olympics. Locals have 90 minute commutes to go just a few miles. The subway and another bridge will help, but not enough. I need them to convince me.

New logo: slightly different from original, the yellow leaf of the tulip became more dynamic orange of the sunset .. the turquise blue became more marine-blue..

the font also changed, but think personally that the font of the 4th logo design (of that of the fresco-tulip) would suite better whole the concept ..

Whole the logo doesn't convince me but it is indeed a whole immense step forward of what Istanbul's previous concecutive bids proposed as a logo.. and more sustainable too.

A last question how this logo will look like in black&white print .. not convincing either .. Like this it looks better what was served in the competition phase.

17315244.jpg

source: http://www.hurriyet....ar/21041772.asp

195499_galeri_3.jpg previous logo competition-phase (btw the font s*cks)

195499_galeri_5.jpg ====>>>> this font would serve in a better way whole the logo and concept imho..

New logo: slightly different from original, the yellow leaf of the tulip became more dynamic orange of the sunset .. the turquise blue became more marine-blue..

the font also changed, but think personally that the font of the 4th logo design (of that of the fresco-tulip) would suite better whole the concept ..

Whole the logo doesn't convince me but it is indeed a whole immense step forward of what Istanbul's previous concecutive bids proposed as a logo.. and more sustainable too.

A last question how this logo will look like in black&white print .. not convincing either .. Like this it looks better what was served in the competition phase.

17315244.jpg

source: http://www.hurriyet....ar/21041772.asp

195499_galeri_3.jpg previous logo competition-phase (btw the font s*cks)

195499_galeri_5.jpg ====>>>> this font would serve in a better way whole the logo and concept imho..

Wow i've heard about you, your infamous, haha, your logo was on cnn or nbc or something

I don't like the logo tbh.

hmmm how it will be used on tv corners? nothing will be seen detailed just a tulip?

but i guess its nice to see the silhouette of istanbul turns into the logo at the end of videos... its simple just istanbul...

Wow, the logo really represent the NETHERLANDS well :, the color is more like the flag of Netherlands, orange is the color of Netherlands, and tulip also famous from Netherlands, so my first impression is, it's the logo of istanbul bid? or a Netherlands bid ? :)

I hadn't noticed but you're right, it's very Dutch now they've changed the colours!

Archived