15th Fina World Championships In 2013

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It has hosted the men's Handball world championship last January and a lot of other events

Palau%20Sant%20Jordi%20en%20Barcelona%20

Palau%20san%20Jordi.jpg

palau-sant-jordi_s345x230.jpg?1321206475

palau_sant_jordi_concerts_57685.jpg

Palau2.jpg

Palau_Sant_Jordi_Trial_and_Enduro_Indoor

Palau_Sant_Jordi_2.jpg

Back to this event..

Myrtha Pools starts filling up swimming pool at Palau Sant Jordi
BCN2013 - 2013/07/08 16:02
Eleven days before the 15th FINA World Championships will kick off at the Palau Sant Jordi, the Italian company Myrtha Pools has started to fill the swimming pool at the main competition venue of Barcelona with water
DSC_0060.v1373292405.JPG

© RFEN/Rafa Seguí

Located inside the Palau Sant Jordi, the main competition pool of the 15th FINA World Championships Barcelona 2013 will soon be ready to host the swimming and synchronized swimming events. Myrtha Pools has started to fill the pool with water yesterday.
The Italian company Myrtha Pools has implemented the pool, which holds over 4 million liters of water (3000kg per m2), setting up the perfect stage for the glamorous synchronized swimming competition (20 to 27 July) and the mouth-watering possibility of record-breaking times in the swimming events (28 July to 4 August).
The exclusive Myrtha Pools technology has been developed thanks to intelligent and superior materials: stainless steel for the structure, PVC for waterproofing and ceramic tiles. Moreover, the latest technology features water filtration and circulation systems, which is also applied to the warm-up and training pool, located outside the Palau Sant Jordi.
“The quality of the water in the pool is better than what we have at home,” said Emilio Alonso, general director of Myrtha Pools. “The water is very clear.”
The swimming pool (50m x 26m x 3m) at the Palau Sant Jordi is over 50% bigger than the one built for the 2003 FINA World Championships in Barcelona. The pool has ten lanes (2,5m each) for the swimming competition.
The warm-up and training pool, which is being installed next to the Palau Sant Jordi, is smaller than the competition pool: 50m x 21m x 2m, holding almost 2.5 million liters of water.
Myrtha Pools is a world leader in the supply and installation of swimming pools. The Italian company already built and implemented the competition pool for the 2011 FINA World Championships in Shanghai.

BCN2013

Palau Sant-Jordi was the indoor volleyball venue for 1992. So, how deep did they have to excavate in order to put in an 8-ft deep pool?

The primary function of the Palau Sant Jordi in 1992 was for the gymnastics competition. It hosted the handball and volleyball finals after gymnastics ended. In 2003, they took out the lowest section of seating to fit the pool--it appears they're doing the same again this year.

The Palau Sant Jordi and the Montjuic Pool are two of my favorite Olympic venues.

I will be there.

Got tickets for ten events in 7 days

Diving X 4 (including 2 Finals)

Water Polo X 2 (4 matchs preliminary and 4 matchs 1/4 Finals)

Synchro X 2 (2 Finals)

Swimming X 2 (8 Finals)

Keep a lot of spare times to visit La Ramblas, Par Guell, Picasso Museum, Sagrada Familia, Camp Nou (FC Barcelona Stadium), Monjuic Olympic Museum (of course), etc...

Will arrive in Spain three days before to visit the top wine region Priorat (staying at Gratallops)

It will be my second FINA World Championship since we had it in Montréal in 2015 (I was then volunteer, affected to the Water-Polo tournament)

Other arenas have been used as pools as well like during the 2007 World Aquatics Championships.

I know that. I was just curious to know whether they just laid the pool on the bare floor of the Jordi or had to dig a little to accommodate the pool. That's all I'm interested in. I know how versatile the stadium can be.

Did u know that at the finals of the Volleyball matches in 1992, they had to shut the A/C off because the drafts from the ceiling were deflecting the ball during serves? Or at least during the first match. And then, I think they did some fix-it so that the A/C could still be on during the games.

Oh, I see now about how high they raised it from the stadium floor. So, it's probably 8-ft deep to allow for the underwater cameras too; so they removed at least 4 or 5 rows of ringside seats to elevate viewing. (Wow. I should have the designers for the new Golden State Warriors Arena in SF include such a possibility in their designs.)

A record number of 2,293 athletes have confirmed their participation for the 15th FINA World Championships (compared with 2,220 at Shanghai 2011). The U.S. sends the biggest team to Barcelona (193 athletes) while Somalia will only be represented by one swimmerA record number of athletes and nations will take part in the 15th FINA World Championships Barcelona 2013 which will witness the world’s best aquatic athletes vying for honors from 19 July to 4 August. In total, 2,293 athletes from 181 nations will compete in the Catalan capital this summer, as confirmed Julio Cesar Maglione, FINA president.

In the 2011 FINA World Championships in Shanghai, 177 countries and 2,220 athletes participated. With the new records established, Barcelona 2013 has become one of the most multitudinous sporting events held in the recent years.

There will be 1,144 athletes in the swimming competition, 416 in water polo, 308 in synchronized swimming, 231 divers, 173 open water swimmers and 21 high divers.

Teams sending most athletes to Barcelona for the World Championships include the U.S. (193), China (191), Canada (167), Great Britain (156) and Australia (133). Host country Spain will be represented by 124 athletes, competing in all aquatic events except for high diving, which will be held at the FINA World Championships for the first time in history.

Countries that will be represented by the fewest number of athletes are Somalia, having only named one swimmer for Barcelona 2013, the Cook Islands and Lesotho, with two athletes each, as well as Samoa, Bermuda and Zimbabwe (3 each). All athletes will participate at the BCN2013 Opening Ceremony to be held on 19 July.

During the 16-day competition, 40 finals will be held in swimming (28 July to 4 August), 10 in diving (20 to 28 July), seven in synchronized swimming (20 to 27 July), seven in open water swimming (20 to 27 July), two in high diving (29 to 31 July) and two in water polo (21 July to 3 August).

The venues of the 15th FINA World Championships are located on Montjuïc Mountain in Barcelona and comprise an indoor arena (Palau Sant Jordi) for swimming and synchronized swimming, the Picornell Pool for water polo and an outdoor pool (Montjuïc Municipal Pool) for diving.

The open water swimming and high diving events will be held at Moll de la Fusta, Port of Barcelona.

Governing body FINA agrees to introduce mixed relays

BARCELONA (Reuters) – Swimming fans will be able to watch the top male and female athletes competing on the same relay team at major championships after world governing body FINA agreed to introduce a mixed version of the event on Thursday.

“The feeling of everybody, swimmers and coaches and technical committee, is that this is a very interesting event with a lot of tactics involved,” FINA executive director Cornel Marculescu told Reuters after the move was ratified at a technical congress in Barcelona.

“The most important thing is that the athletes are happy and I think that is why the decision was made,” Marculescu added.

“I think it’s going to be very popular with the swimmers and this is the number one criteria for me.”

http://www.euronews.com/sport/2044930-governing-body-fina-agrees-to-introduce-mixed-relays/

Medal table before swimming events at the pool begin tomorrow:

1 China 8 6 2 16

2 Russia 7 3 1 11

3 Germany 3 2 2 7

4 Brazil 1 2 2 5

5 Italy 1 2 0 3

6 Greece 1 1 0 2

7= Tunisia 1 0 1 2

7= USA 1 0 1 2

9 Spain 0 3 4 7

10 Canada 0 2 2 4

11 Ukraine 0 1 4 5

12 Belgium 0 1 0 1

13 Mexico 0 0 3 3

14 Malaysia 0 0 1 1

Great to see New Zealand win its first medal at a world aquatics champs since 1994 when Danyon Loader won two medals. Lauren Byoles bronze medal in the women's 400m was a fantastic achievement. New Zealand swimming has struggled since Danyon Loader retired from swimming so I hope this will make a difference. But not hopeful

Great to see New Zealand win its first medal at a world aquatics champs since 1994 when Danyon Loader won two medals. Lauren Byoles bronze medal in the women's 400m was a fantastic achievement. New Zealand swimming has struggled since Danyon Loader retired from swimming so I hope this will make a difference. But not hopeful

:DAnother bronze for Lauren Boyle today...still waiting for her main event tonight, 800m. Hopefully another medal. 2 down 1 to go.

Sister flatted with Danyon in Dunedin way back in 1993/4, immature as, BUT with a heart of gold! :) Had a real hardarse coach, Duncan Lang...which is what is needed now.

Swim NZ is in a real mess at the moment, you can see that on Danyon's (and Mos Bermester's) much older and wiser face today.

They really need this moral boost.

As much as Lauren is peaking in time for 2014, ...Tabitha Baumann is the way forward for 2016 onward.

Archived