Sign in to follow this  
Citius Altius Fortius

15th Fina World Championships In 2013

This year the FINA World Championships are in Rome - the next will be in Shanghai in 2011.

Hamburg, Moscow and Dubai are bidding for 2013 - the FINA will decide at July 18, 2009 about the host.

Hamburg would change the HSH Nordbank Arena into a Swimming Arena - the long distance swimming events would take place in the Alster Lakes in the City Center

214765v1.jpg

HSH Nordbank Arena

mh_alster_DW_Hambur_630049g.jpg

Aussenalster (the larger of the two Alster Lakes)

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Glad to see a stadium being used. I've always wondered about that have surprisingly never created my own mock up of it.

This year the FINA World Championships are in Rome - the next will be in Shanghai in 2011.

Hamburg, Moscow and Dubai are bidding for 2013 - the FINA will decide at July 18, 2009 about the host.

Hamburg would change the HSH Nordbank Arena into a Swimming Arena - the long distance swimming events would take place in the Alster Lakes in the City Center

214765v1.jpg

HSH Nordbank Arena

mh_alster_DW_Hambur_630049g.jpg

Aussenalster (the larger of the two Alster Lakes)

Now that Dubai wont host the W-Ch, will Hamburg jump in?

Edited by Goethe

... it was mentioned in the news show of the local TV-station here in Hamburg - but it seems it hasn't been decided yet if Hamburg bids again

Honestly,when Dubai (!) has financial problems, how can Hamburg avoid that? I dont see them hosting. Just think about the new Opera house....

Honestly,when Dubai (!) has financial problems, how can Hamburg avoid that? I dont see them hosting. Just think about the new Opera house....

Where is the news that Dubai has recused itself from its 2013 duties?

I wish we could bring it to the U.S. We've never hosted the Aquatics Championships.

Maybe Madrid will bid! :D (It's not a bad idea, actually).

I wish we could bring it to the U.S. We've never hosted the Aquatics Championships.

Which is a huge pity considering you're the world's greatest swimming nation. And just the type of thing, along with the IAAF World Championships, that would do a lot to improve the US relationships in international sports relationships and profile.

Didn't Long Beach at least bid for one?

Which is a huge pity considering you're the world's greatest swimming nation. And just the type of thing, along with the IAAF World Championships, that would do a lot to improve the US relationships in international sports relationships and profile.

Didn't Long Beach at least bid for one?

I don't remember if Long Beach ever bid. But to have an Aussie call the U.S. "the world's greatest swimming nation" is certainly high praise. :)

Did some research:

Apparently, Long Beach bid for 2005, but lost out to Montreal.

Also apparently, Long Beach lost money on the 2004 U.S. Olympic Trials and Mebourne (and Channel 9) took a bath on the 2007 Aquatics Worlds.

See comments here and here.

And since Madrid bid for 2013 and lost to Dubai, perhaps FINA will call on Madrid to step up now, which I'm sure Madrid would be happy to oblige.

The U.S. is hosting the 2010 Pan Pacific Swimming Championships this year, in Irvine, in California. I've got my full week, all session tickets and will be there. Can't wait!

I think it was the U.S. Championships/Olympic trials in the all-important year, Athens 2004, that Long Beach hosted in that rather temporary 2-pool set up in a parking lot. And then there were comments that the set-up was good enough for a World Championships but that FINA wanted something more permanent. (Am not finding anything to this effect though.)

I seem to also remember there was some talk about Long Beach maybe stepping in during the immediate run-up to Montreal when there was financial problems in Montreal and there were doubts if it would go ahead.

The World Championships were held in Madrid in 1989 I think it was.

myrtha_longbeach04_05.jpg7356803.jpgmyrtha_longbeach04_06.jpg

Those are the ones; for 2004 indeed and it's in the parking lot of the Long Beach Arena. Thanks Mo.

Here's the technical description of that set-up. (I thought the main pool looked above-ground. Turns out both were.)

The City of Long Beach, CA, has hosted – July 7th to July 14th – the U.S. Swimming Olympic Trials pools , one of the most important sporting events in the U.S.A., during which athletes compete for the right to represent Team USA at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, Greece.

For the event it has been constructed a totally new temporary facility, the “Charter All Digital Aquatic Center”, located in the parking lot adjacent to the Long Beach Arena.

For the first time in U. S. Olympic Team Trials - Swimming history, swimmers have trained and competed for Olympics top positions in two above-ground temporary pools, built by Myrtha Pools, thanks to their exclusive Myrtha Technology.

Great was the success of Myrtha Pools installation: athletes, coaches and also the local community are enthusiastic about the pool, that they consider as a new trend in swimming. 'Fast pool' was in fact the more common definition used to describe the competition pool. The construction of the “Charter All Digital Aquatic Center” took less than a month. Bleachers surround the pool with seating for 10,000 spectators and the two pools – one for competition and the other one for training sessions – measure 50 meters long by 25 yds wide and 2 meters deep. The competition pool has 8 – 50m long lanes and 2.5 meters wide, according to FINA-regulations. The warm-up pool has the same set-up, but with 3 additional– 25m long lanes placed horizontally next to the other 8 lanes, making an “L” shaped pool.

Now that the competitions are over, the pools will be disassembled and shipped to their permanent destinations: the competition swimming pool will be installed in the city of Yucaipa, in the Southern part of California while the warm-up pool will be installed in the Berkeley Aquatic Club in New Jersey. Myrtha Pools usually build permanent facilities, although in some cases Myrtha Technology has been chosen for the construction of above-ground temporary competition swimming pools, because of its precision and flexibility. It allows the installation of a complete competition pool, responding to FINA strict norms and regulations, in only one week.

Moreover it allows the maximum athletes’ speed, thanks to its special overflow gutter shape, which is very capacious and suitable to absorb the wave created by the swimmers without any water return.

For all these reasons, for the sturdiness and quality of its materials and for its precise technology, Myrtha Pools have been chosen to accomplish the temporary swimming pool for the World Swimming Championships that will take place in Indianapolis, in “Conseco Fieldhouse” next October 2004, and for the 2005 FINA World Swimming Championships, in Montreal.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

And since Madrid bid for 2013 and lost to Dubai, perhaps FINA will call on Madrid to step up now, which I'm sure Madrid would be happy to oblige.

Madrid? Why? Moscow and Hamburg were the other bidding cities.

There were seven bidding cities for 2013:

Belgrade (SRB), Budapest & Belatonfured (HUN), Dubai (UAE), Hamburg (GER), Hong Kong, China (HKG), Madrid (ESP) and Moscow (RUS).

There were seven bidding cities for 2013:

Belgrade (SRB), Budapest & Belatonfured (HUN), Dubai (UAE), Hamburg (GER), Hong Kong, China (HKG), Madrid (ESP) and Moscow (RUS).

Dubai received 14 votes from 21 delegates - Hamburg received 5 votes and Moscow 2 votes...

Dubai promised to spend 350,000,000.00 € for new swimming pools and "transfered 5,000,000.00 € to the FINA for support of its activities" at the begin of its campaign...

Hamburg will talk with the DSV (German Aquatics Federation) today if Germany still wants to host the FINA World Championships in 2013 - it might can happen that the DSV wants to ask Berlin to step in, due a possible Olympic Bid in the future.

Moscow will host the World Athletics Championships in 2013...

What about Africa? Durban bid for 2011 but for some reason disappeared before voting actually began

I think it was the U.S. Championships/Olympic trials in the all-important year, Athens 2004, that Long Beach hosted in that rather temporary 2-pool set up in a parking lot. And then there were comments that the set-up was good enough for a World Championships but that FINA wanted something more permanent. (Am not finding anything to this effect though.)

It's amazing Long Beach lost money.

Watch this video, starting at 2:25. You'll have to click and watch it directly on YouTube, unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GB2WdEqHw

updating:

2013 Host City to be announced at World Aquatics Convention

1st FINA World Aquatics Convention 27 – 29 September 2010, Punta del Este, Uruguay

The bid process for National Federations / Cities interested in hosting the 15th FINA World Championships 2013 will start with a briefing from FINA on 22nd July and will culminate with a presentation of the bids by each National Federation/City to the FINA Bureau at a meeting to be held during the 1st FINA World Aquatics Convention in Punta del Este, Uruguay.

The FINA Bureau will meet during the World Aquatics Convention, vote and award the 15th FINA World Championships 2013 to the successful National Federation and Host City.

http://www.sportsfeatures.com/presspoint/pressrelease/51467/2013-host-city-to-be-announced-at-world-aquatics-convention

South Korea asked to bid for 2013 worlds

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea are to bid to host the 2013 swimming world championships in place of Dubai following a request from world governing body FINA, the Korea Swimming Federation (KSF) said.

Dubai was awarded the championships last year after beating off competition from Hamburg and Moscow but was forced to pull out in May after the emirate was badly hit by the global economic downturn.

"We decided to bid for the 2013 World Championships at the request of the international swimming body FINA," KSF Lee Ki-heung told the Yonhap news agency.

http://af.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idAFJOE66M0A920100723

FINA has taken lessons from the EOC!

Oops, maybe FINA thinks it IS the IOC!!!

lol

Sorry...meant IOC....wrong fingers.

(I don't know how to correct an error like this, even moments after posting!)