15th Fina World Championships In 2013

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What about it? Has South Africa been bidding?

Once again, has Africa been bidding? If not, SHUT UP! Or answer your own question.

What about Africa?

I wouldn't understand if they really gave the 2013 WCH to South Korea -- that way, two successive WCHs would be hosted by Eastern Asian countries (the 2011 WCH will take place in Shanghai). In the past 15 years (counting Shanghai 2011 in) only two out of seven FINA World Championships were staged in Europe. So I think it's not very presumptuous to call for an European host. I'm still hoping for Hamburg of course... ;)

I think they should be held in one of the cities that had bid for them: Belgrade, Budapest, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Madrid or Moscow. But I think all of these cities must be a bit angry with the FINA as they chose Dubai, which was probably the least prepared for the championships, and maybe some of them don't want to host them anymore - like a mini-boycott :P

Both Belgrade and Madrid have hosted them before.

Should pick other cities........

I think they should be held in one of the cities that had bid for them: Belgrade, Budapest, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Madrid or Moscow. But I think all of these cities must be a bit angry with the FINA as they chose Dubai, which was probably the least prepared for the championships, and maybe some of them don't want to host them anymore - like a mini-boycott :P

OK, but both Belgrade and Madrid had bid for them. I think it wouldn't be fair if Korea (for example) was awarded the championships if they hadn't bid. If everything had gone alright, one of the six cities I listed before would have got the championships.

If neither Belgrade nor Madrid should host them, there are still four more cities that could do it.

I think Madrid would be good, I wouldn't have a problem with that. In fact, that would be my pick to replace Dubai (assuming no chance a U.S. city could host). In fact, of the cities that *did* bid, I would have voted for Madrid.

Xinhua's article also mention Sydney

We decided to bid for the 2013 World Championships at the request of the international swimming body, FINA," said Lee Ki-heung, president of the Korea Swimming Federation (KSF).

The 2013 world swimming championships were originally planned to take place in Dubai, but the city dropped out as host amid economic problems.

Dubai was awarded with the right to host the world championships after the FINA Bureau meeting in Rome in July 2009, beating the challenges from Moscow and Hamburg.

According to the KSF, Australia's largest city, Sydney, also seeks to host the prestigious sporting event.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sports/2010-07/23/c_13411811.htm

Why would FINA ask South Korea to bid?

I wish the U.S. would host!

Damn right. If anyone should be "asked" to host it should be the US.

I see Irvine, CA's hosting the Pan-Pacs swimming next month.

I see Irvine, CA's hosting the Pan-Pacs swimming next month.

Yes they are, and I will be there, with full session tickets for every day, so I can come and go as I please, whatever races I want to see :)

Really looking forward to it. :)

The US hasn't hosted neither an athletics nor an aquatics world championships yet, has it?

Yes, World Aquatics Championships in California.

The U.S. has only hosted the short course swimming championships and the FINA Masters Aquatics Championships, but it has never hosted the senior World Aquatics Championships.

which city is korea putting forth? i assume it will be incheon to use it as a test event for the 2014 asian games. anyone agrees? if seoul, what's the condition of the jamsil indoor swimming pool? is it still up to international standards? will they even consider busan? they hosted the asian games in 2002.

which city is korea putting forth? i assume it will be incheon to use it as a test event for the 2014 asian games. anyone agrees? if seoul, what's the condition of the jamsil indoor swimming pool? is it still up to international standards? will they even consider busan? they hosted the asian games in 2002.

It would also depend on which hotel(s) or universities they can find to house the what? 1,000 or so athletes, officials and teams.

The U.S. has only hosted the short course swimming championships and the FINA Masters Aquatics Championships, but it has never hosted the senior World Aquatics Championships.

Then, this is really interesting. The US has hosted the Olympic Games more times than any other country, but, on the other hand, the world championships in two of the most important sports at the Olympics have never been held there :rolleyes:

Then, this is really interesting. The US has hosted the Olympic Games more times than any other country, but, on the other hand, the world championships in two of the most important sports at the Olympics have never been held there :rolleyes:

Then obviously the costs (& demands) for hosting two mere sports when NOT part of a whole Olympic package, are just too great and onerous to be bothered with; and the returns from TV (which I guess rules the whole game) also will not justify the expense and effort.

• 1 month later...

The FINA 2013 World Championships will be held in Barcelona

Barcelona acogerá el Mundial de natación en 2013

un 27 sep 21:00:00 2010

Barcelona fue elegida como sede del Mundial de natación de 2013, tras la renuncia de Dubái a organizar la prueba, dijo el lunes la Federación Internacional de Natación (FINA).

Está confirmada Barcelona como sede del Mundial en 2013, faltan detalles burocráticos a llenar por parte de la ciudad pero está todo acordado, el proyecto fue aprobado", dijo a Reuters Julio César Maglione, presidente de FINA

http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/27092010/20/barcelona-acogera-mundial-natacion-2013.html

from AP/ESPN

Barcelona to host swimming worlds

Associated Press

MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay -- Barcelona was chosen on Monday to host the 2013 world swimming championships, the sport's governing body said.

FINA president Julio Maglione told The Associated Press that Barcelona was picked because it has the infrastructure and the support of the national and local government. Barcelona hosted the world championships in 2003.

The FINA executive board is meeting in the Uruguayan resort of Punta del Este. The 2011 worlds will be held in Shanghai, China.

Maglione said choosing Barcelona was in part meant to pay homage to former International Olympic Committee president Juan Antonio Samaranch, who was born in Barcelona and died there five months ago at age 89.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/swimming/news/story?id=5623174

I am glad for this decision.

Another article from the Telegraph.co.uk

Fina selects Barcelona to host 2013 World Swimming Championships

Fina, swimming's world governing body, has selected Barcelona to host the 2013 World Aquatic Championships.

READ MORE

Now let's get this evet in the USA!!!