Shud London & Sochi Be Recalled?

In view of what I consider the shady, showy and unethical practice of having heads of state show up and press for votes at these IOC gatherings -- and a practice the IOC itself is now calling into question, I therefore ask: should the votes of London and Sochi be recalled and revoted?

I say YES. If not, then future site elections should NOT disbar future heads of state.

Discuss.

New York would get 2012. I think they were the only nation who didn't send their head of state for 2012. The stadium-less bid would have won! hehe!

Actually, Putin didn't come to Singapore (he spoke through a video). So it could have been Moscow.

In view of what I consider the shady, showy and unethical practice of having heads of state show up and press for votes at these IOC gatherings -- and a practice the IOC itself is now calling into question, I therefore ask: should the votes of London and Sochi be recalled and revoted?

I say YES. If not, then future site elections should NOT disbar future heads of state.

Discuss.

I don't mind.But if they do have a re-vote and London loses out this time,I trust the IOC is prepared to indemnify London for all the millions of pounds currently spent on preparing for the 2012 Games over the last two years and face a possible lawsuit for breach of contract and that Paris or Madrid is prepared to step in with just 5 years left to prepare.Ditto Sochi although they haven't had time to spend any money yet,but the IOC must then face the possibility of a future Russian boycott of the 2014 Games (wherever they end up) along with that of Russia' allies and sympathizers on the world scene.

Oh,and don't forget Vancouver 2010.That will have to be re-voted as well considering that then Canadian prime-minister,Jean Chretien was present in Prague for the vote.Just think of all the money they will have to indemnify Vancouver for over the last 4 years.Plus it will only give any new 2010 winner,just 3 years left to prepare!!

So if the IOC are prepared for all those eventualities....then by all means go ahead!! ;)

Lol. Yeah, I'm not one who believes in "recounts" & things of that nature. In London's case (or Vancouver's, for that matter) I don't think them winning is that much of an issue, if there is one at all. But even though I don't believe that Sochi should've won 2014, the vote is done, they won & now they need to host it. No recounts, no nothing. Jacques Rogge bringing it up means for future elections. I'm sure he doesn't mean "recount".

Actually, Putin didn't come to Singapore (he spoke through a video). So it could have been Moscow.

I don't know about that. Putin pulling off a handful of votes Sochi's way is one thing, but pulling off about a dozen or so more votes for Moscow seems like it would've been an extreme challenge, even for him. I'm sure he knew that the 2012 Olympics were "destined" to either London or Paris, so he wasn't going to "waste" his time. I doubt he would've been able to sway 15-20 more votes in favor of Moscow considering their last place finish (& the IOC 2012 ECR's most criticism on Moscow), which is about the numbers that what would've been needed if they were going to at least make it to the final 2012 ballot.

I don't know about that. Putin pulling off a handful of votes Sochi's way is one thing, but pulling off about a dozen or so more votes for Moscow seems like it would've been an extreme challenge, even for him. I'm sure he knew that the 2012 Olympics were "destined" to either London or Paris, so he wasn't going to "waste" his time. I doubt he would've been able to sway 15-20 more votes in favor of Moscow considering their last place finish (& the IOC 2012 ECR's most criticism on Moscow), which is about the numbers that what would've been needed if they were going to at least make it to the final 2012 ballot.

I was of course joking. I agree with you that Moscow didn't stand a chance and that's precisely why Putin didn't go to Singapore. I only wonder whether Moscow could have taken the edge over NYC during the first round... Anyhow, what's done is done.

I don't mind.But if they do have a re-vote and London loses out this time,I trust the IOC is prepared to indemnify London for all the millions of pounds currently spent on preparing for the 2012 Games over the last two years and face a possible lawsuit for breach of contract and that Paris or Madrid is prepared to step in with just 5 years left to prepare.Ditto Sochi although they haven't had time to spend any money yet,but the IOC must then face the possibility of a future Russian boycott of the 2014 Games (wherever they end up) along with that of Russia' allies and sympathizers on the world scene.

Oh,and don't forget Vancouver 2010.That will have to be re-voted as well considering that then Canadian prime-minister,Jean Chretien was present in Prague for the vote.Just think of all the money they will have to indemnify Vancouver for over the last 4 years.Plus it will only give any new 2010 winner,just 3 years left to prepare!!

So if the IOC are prepared for all those eventualities....then by all means go ahead!! ;)

And here of course is the reason why any re-vote on these decisions is never going to happen. Besides which, I don't see what the problem is with having political leaders there anyway.

I agree. Things were much better when IOC decisions were based upon offering scholarships and jewellry

New York would get 2012. I think they were the only nation who didn't send their head of state for 2012. The stadium-less bid would have won! hehe!

Putin doid not attend 2012 as well, so Moscow should've be chosen... but then what about Sochi...

Actually,if they do a 2012 re-vote,only Paris should be disqualified as it was the only one whose Head of State (Jacques Chirac) showed up.Blair was not a Head of State and neither Bush nor Putin showed up in the flesh (they just sent video messages).So Paris is out (again) and London and the other 3 cities are still eligible! B)

In the case of 2014,all three candidates will have to be disqualified and three new ones shortlisted.

In the case of 2010,Vancouver is safe after all as Chretien was not a Head of State any more than Blair!! :)

Archived