Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

mr.x

Hey Everyone,

Looking at that arch type thingy, does anyone reckon that it looks inflatable? It does not appear to be that rigid, and there seems to be ropes attached to one side of it, maybe to hold it in place.... besides, if it was inflatible that would be one way to keep it under wraps and then inflated for the ceremony. Maybe, now just hear me out on this, if they get an entire ring of these blow up things around the roof, and then make them out to be loops of a dragon, with the head and tail being somewhere on the roof too, than that could be one plausible reason,..... my imagination is runing wild.... :lol: , or otherwise they could just be purely decorative structures....

I know its too hard to tell from this one picture, but are there anymore of these structures appearing on the roof of the stadium? But yeah, I would have to agree with the others who say it might be apart of the opening ceremony...

It looks inflatable indeed, pretty much like a bouncing castle (or for our American friends: like a moonwalk).

I don't think that they want to put such a cheapish thing permanently upon the roof. But I still haven't figured out which purpose it serves.

Anyway, take a close look at the last picture. On the left, it looks as if there's that scroll-like thing from the older pictures. It has the same brown lattice structure which you can vaguely recognise beneath that green wrapper on the first picture. So do they plan to shove that scroll into that bouncing castle, or why is it so close to it?

Those are pretty mysterious structures, that's for sure!

It looks inflatable indeed, pretty much like a bouncing castle (or for our American friends: like a moonwalk).

I don't think that they want to put such a cheapish thing permanently upon the roof. But I still haven't figured out which purpose it serves.

Anyway, take a close look at the last picture. On the left, it looks as if there's that scroll-like thing from the older pictures. It has the same brown lattice structure which you can vaguely recognise beneath that green wrapper on the first picture. So do they plan to shove that scroll into that bouncing castle, or why is it so close to it?

Those are pretty mysterious structures, that's for sure!

I think it's just so close to it. Because it's not inside that thing.

3E6FA7995C666A48ACBDD4A44417E383.jpg

4C9A42C7DF951997E956F6825B44951F.jpg

C2706ABE1F3FC6971EA0BD918E4026D5.jpg

B0BBD488BC41B50903A310CD4FC7BA22.jpg

Everyone! the cauldron is finally revealed! It's a "big bird" lying on the roof top of the bird nest, with head looking inside the stadium. And the flame will be lighted near the mouth...

we will definitely see more as the installation project is going on~

Very, very odd, to say the least.

I'm not sure what to say about the inflatable structure, but I think the lattice structure could hold up a cauldron right beyond the rim of the roof, making it possible for a cauldron to be seen by everyone, both inside and out of the stadium.

guys~guys~It's not a bird, but a phoenix~The entire notion been leaked eariler on the first torch relay within China named '' Phoenix Back To The Nest '' started from a square called ''Phoenix Plaza", according to a Chinese traditional myth/saying.

look at the visiual design of BOCOG TORCH RELAY:

Img214038719.jpg

Down the ages, "Loong" (Chinese dragon) and "Phoenix" are the traditional totems embedded with people's blessing and hope.

Phoenix has left a deep imprint in Chinese civilization. The auspice and hope represented by it has always been a part of people's daily life.

The torch relay graphic comprises the lucky cloud pattern exquisitely with the phoenix pattern, achieving the effect of vivid and distant. The modern design deeply expresses the unique integration of hardness and softness, implicitness and elegance in traditional Chinese arts.

The phoenix joins the great Olympiad, bringing the hope of luck and peace to the world, representing the core connotation of the torch relay graphic.

THERE YOU GO, THE MOTHER PHOENIX BRINGING THE FLAME BACK TO HER NEST AS "bringing the hope of luck and peace to the world". It's the whole idea around the olympic flame.

Ahhh! That makes sense.

OK, I think this is how it will play it out. An "egg" will rise from the center of the floor. Final lighter lights it. The ball of flame erupts and zooms up to that one side of the roof -- and Pooph and Voila!! You have the Pyhrotechnic Phoenix!!

Here's the wikepedia entry on Blaze, the 1996 Atlanta Paralympix Phoenix mascot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1996_Pa...ascot_Blaze.gif

(Yeah, the inflatable arches are mere protective and secrecy coverings until it is ready to be fully revealed.)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well it wouldn't be the Phoenix so much as the Fenghuang. The Phoenix is a Phoenician mythological creature that was adopted by Greece, whereas the Fenghuang is a Chinese bird that is similar to the Phoenix but certainly not the same. The Phoenix is like the Dragon in that there is multiple versions that are very similar but developed independently. Persian and Japanese mythology have creatures similar to the Phoenix as well.

If accurate, the concept of the Phoenix returning to the nest is fantastic.

It's the new trend:

- Remember those 'dinosaur' heads at the Salt Lake CLosing?

- now this Phoenix thing.

- Maybe London will have those flying dragons from 'Reign of Fire; and

- I guess Godzilla doing a 'cameo' at a Tokyo 2016 or 2020 Ceremony isn't too farfetched.

- Chicago, I guess, will have the Great lakes equivalent of Nessie ("Mitchie"? :lol: ) come out of Lake Michigan and go over to Wash Park and light the cauldron!! :lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I can also very much imagine the lighting using the Phoenix theme, but I dunno, I can't see the actual cauldron being a huge fire-breathing phoenix. Seems kind of out there.

Btw Baron, Phoenixes are suppose to be born from the ashes of another Phoenix and its cinnamon-twig nest, so an egg wouldn’t play a part.

I can also very much imagine the lighting using the Phoenix theme, but I dunno, I can't see the actual cauldron being a huge fire-breathing phoenix. Seems kind of out there.

Btw Baron, Phoenixes are suppose to be born from the ashes of another Phoenix and its cinnamon-twig nest, so an egg wouldn’t play a part.

Well its said that an egg made of myrrh is made and returns to Heliopolis where it is born again in one legend.

Man, I always thought "Why don't they simply put the cauldron on the roof?". Or did we already discuss that before?

However, I'm very surprised by that concept. This is the first time in Olympic history the cauldron is not a simple bowl, dish or torch (or fry container ;)), but resembling a creature. I very much hope that they've designed it in a way that it doesn't look tacky or too bombastic.

But this concept is only the logic sequel to the robot at the 2005 National Games.

And yes, I also expect it to be lit from the centre of the field, most likely with pyrotechnics.

Good point. I just thought 'egg' because:

1. It is the Bird's nest stadium; and

2. visually, that's easier to grasp. (ALthough of course, you would have a 'fried egg." :lol: )

So maybe, something that looks like ashes (or whatever the Chinese equivalent is -- fried noodles? ). Maybe they'll renove that tower-like thing, and have a 'baby-chick Phoenix' "fly" outta a hole in the ground -- so symbolism for the recent earthquakes and the bird will represent the Chinese spirit, and that the culture will rise again!!

OMG!! This is getting too, too symbolic!!

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Man, I always thought "Why don't they simply put the cauldron on the roof?". Or did we already discuss that before?

However, I'm very surprised by that concept. This is the first time in Olympic history the cauldron is not a simple bowl, dish or torch (or fry container ;)), but resembling a creature. I very much hope that they've designed it in a way that it doesn't look tacky or too bombastic.

But this concept is only the logic sequel to the robot at the 2005 National Games.

And yes, I also expect it to be lit from the centre of the field, most likely with pyrotechnics.

So, unless this is a Ric Birch concept of the last 10 months or so, that so-called 'insider' we had here who would only post once, was wrong. Or that might've been the earlier concept when he was still with BOCOG.