Olympic Stadium: Beijing National Stadium

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I absolutely don't expect it to be the cauldron tower. And that's actually all I have to say about that.

Don't crap your pants, everyone, this could be anything! But if you ask me, I would guess they're setting up the suspended cauldron's support because (1) where it sits on the stadiums (on a corne

I doubt that BOCOG will approve if it is the cauldron - they know that it is much better for the show if the cauldron remains secret...
网易2008奥运报道一条龙吐出火珠,然后点燃主火炬……近日媒体纷纷报道了这一由“某鸟巢设计师”透露的点火方式,某门户网站的标题更是“奥运点火仪式提前泄密”。

好奇心人皆有之,但为了满足好奇心而没了底线,则其行为不光该被谴责,甚至还应受到法律制裁。北京奥组委早就有新闻,奥运开闭幕式的程序属于国家机密,谁泄露了要负法律责任——为部分媒体藐视法律的行为表示遗憾。

央视的《实话实说》节目曾经请过李亚鹏和一名娱乐记者,两人当场吵得不可开交,双方的观点分别为:李亚鹏说,做狗仔不能无耻到没有底线,我是一个演员,你关注我的言行举止并没有错,但是不要骚扰我的家人。娱乐记者认为,你选择了做影视明星,就应该明白公众人物应该付出的代价,或者说公众人物应该履行的义务,就是牺牲了自己的个人生活。我作为媒体,是有责任报道读者想知道的所有事情的。

李亚鹏和娱乐记者的辩论大意如此,李亚鹏曾经发怒质问:王菲生孩子,你会不会去拍照?娱乐记者丝毫不惧:我当然要去拍,那是我的工作。

鸟巢彩排奥运点火仪式,记者到底应该不应该去拍?

归根到底,读者到底愿不愿意看。赵本山和宋丹丹2008年春节联欢晚会的压轴小品《火炬手》台词被提前泄密,可能读过台词的观众在看直播的时候有些后悔,赵本山的包袱甩开的时候,自己感觉不是那么好笑。这不是因为赵本山的功力退步了,而是因为好奇心让你失去了获得惊喜的机会。

2008年,北京奥运会的开幕式。不会重来一次,没有NG的盛会,当你提前知晓程序后,你再也不会得到惊喜。话说回来,这真的是那些以偷窥为工作内容的媒体的过错,用给读者事实作为自己偷窥后脱罪的理由,这真是奥运开幕前最冠冕堂皇的通行证。

祝愿那些曝光秘密的媒体工作者,以后都不会有自己的惊喜Party。

Ok, guys. I know some of you don't speak Chinese or roughly understand a single word of this article. Generally it's from a blog about criticising ''the illeagle leak of the lighting secret by those 'immoral' Chinese press''. And ignore the rest of the personal comments made by this guy, the first sentence tells that ''The potential lighting of the cauldron may chosen to be the concept of Dragon, and it's to make the Dragon sending a ''Dragon Ball'' to light the fire......

Ok, I am not sure if it's true or not. However, it still sounds this guy was quite furious about the ''leaking of the truth'' or sth. Anyway, there comes another potential idea. BIRD, PHOENIX, SCROLL, DRAGON........

They remind me of Kung Fu Panda really.....wreid...

dragon-scrolls.jpg

I doubt that BOCOG will approve if it is the cauldron - they know that it is much better for the show if the cauldron remains secret...

No, Torchbearer AA was talking about this picture and not about the cauldron:

8F7BFA9B897F3FF82ACAB0197C23C95C.jpg

from Olympian2004...

Sorry, here's the big one:

81732086py4.jpg

Is this what it's going to look like?

Drawings not to scale.

1. After it has been lit, tilting up...

Cauldron_1a.jpg

2. Lit and fully ERECT! (Being held by guidewires for support.)

Cauldron_2.jpg

OK, finally got it up!! Whew!! :lol:

I don't what the damn thing is...but could it be a squid, Beijing duck, or an uncut Chinese dick?? That'll show those pesky Tibetans who's BOSS!!

:lol:

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Based on other similar photos, it appears to me that those inflatable arches aren't really hiding anything. I think it's more a 'shelter/hangar' for this acorn/scroll thing' to be rolled back into should it rain if there be some lightning and thunderstorms. That strange looking thing will be the cauldron.

But they're still working on it, or why are there still so many people on the roof? And I don't think that there are some sort of "tracks" on the roof to roll the cauldron back into the "hangar". It rather looks like permanently installed there.

I think that there'll still be added something to the cauldron. It still looks very provisional to me.

Is this what it's going to look like?

Drawings not to scale.

1. After it has been lit, tilting up...

Cauldron_1a.jpg

2. Lit and fully ERECT! (Being held by guidewires for support.)

Cauldron_2.jpg

OK, finally got it up!! Whew!! :lol:

I don't what the damn thing is...but could it be a squid or an uncut Chinese dick?? That'll show those pesky Tibetans who's BOSS!!

:lol:

That's a real rubbish idea. Don't try to make it happen. I warn you! :angry:

anyway, I hate that vision. stop drawing penis on the bird nest. By the way, not even your 10inch one either. :o get it?

Baron Pierre (the Frenchman?)

:lol: Penis? Look at the photos. It looks close to that. I don't know what else that shape is??? :lol:

Hmmm.... When it sits upright at the edge of the roof it could really look like a bird -- only without a head. That curved thing could as well be a bird's tail. Wouldn't such a cauldron be a great reference to the legendary Seoul dove barbecue? :lol:

@ maryjane,

do you think that it would be appropriate out of the Chinese point of view to use a Fenghuang 鳳凰 as cauldron? A Fenghuang 鳳凰 is a luck symbol in the chinese mythology...

The Fenghuang is comparable with the Phoenix

Phoenix_by_Shyada_320.jpg

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius
@ maryjane,

do you think that it would be appropriate out of the Chinese point of view to use a Fenghuang 鳳凰 as cauldron? A Fenghuang 鳳凰 is a luck symbol in the chinese mythology...

The Fenghuang is comparable with the Phoenix

Phoenix_by_Shyada_320.jpg

It has the most possibility to be appeared in the OC I think, it has to be related to the theme of the torch relay at some way, like the offical graphic elements shown: The phoenix flying among the lucky cloud. Quite a romantic sight really. That's the official vision given by the BOCOG at least.

In fact, dragon and phoenix together in Chinese symbolism also stands for the eternal love and peace, like Ying & Yang. So I doubt they would only single out one particular from the other. In other words, they might be designed to be comin out of stage together with richer content or to say more completed philosophy.

071258451.jpg

yinyang_chair.jpg

Baloney!! I don't believe it's that Phoenix thing. The concept may be good, but to maintain that Phoenix image throughout the 17 days is just too unwieldy -- and this whole contraption on the roof will be terribly distracting. Besides that Phoenix thing, fully expanded, begins to look like the eagles of Germany or the double-headed one of imperial Russia.

Right now, it looks like a snail with that shell. But eventually, I think it's just going to be like the wick of "Aladdin's lamp." Imagine the whole stadium, if you will, as Aladdin's lamp, and the cauldron is the mouth/wick. After all, all that's really necessary is just the flame -- not a whole heathen idol underneath it. And the Aladdin tale, after all, is originally Chinese -- not Arab as Arabian and western readers have appropriated it.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
I think this whole looks like a large sledge (red) - the cauldron (green) will be slid over the edge of the roof and from there lowered into the stadium in an upright position:

cauldron1cr1.jpg

CAF, why do you say 'it will be lowered'? It doesn't make sense.

#1 - why go thru all this trouble?

#2 - If you will look closely to the left of that contraption (where "ge..." of "getty" is), you will see what looks like the gasline. So that defintely will be the cauldron -- but why would it drop down? THat metal gasline CANNOT extend like an accordion. To what purpose?

#3 - If that's going down to the stadium floor, they're going to have to move it out of there once T&F competition starts. so why?

And the flame has to shoot upward, NOT downward, free and unencumbered of any structure over it.

#4 - Rather than flipping up by itself, the small track there is for a beam that will push the whole thing sitting up. And when it is upright and erect (see my drawing) , it will be visible to one and all outside the stadium as well. Then it will be like a beacon which is what the IOC dictates, in essence, say.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
Baloney!! I don't believe it's that Phoenix thing. The concept may be good, but to maintain that Phoenix image throughout the 17 days is just too unwieldy -- and this whole contraption on the roof will be terribly distracting. Besides that Phoenix thing, fully expanded, begins to look like the eagles of Germany or the double-headed one of imperial Russia.

Right now, it looks like a snail with that shell. But eventually, I think it's just going to be like the wick of "Aladdin's lamp." Imagine the whole stadium, if you will, as Aladdin's lamp, and the cauldron is the mouth/wick. After all, all that's really necessary is just the flame -- not a whole heathen idol underneath it. And the Aladdin tale, after all, is originally Chinese -- not Arab as Arabian and western readers have appropriated it.

That's not a Chinese icon. by the way, what the hell they'll put a mouth on the top of stadium. So let the torchbearer givin a BJ by a stick-like torch....very hot sight, burning desire. :rolleyes:

Even if I'm not CAF, let me answer -- because I believe I know what CAF meant. And I'm just too glad about having just another controversial cauldron debate with you. I need a distraction from my pre-EURO-final nervousness, you know. ;)

#2 - If you will look closely to the left of that contraption (where "ge..." of "getty" is), you will see what looks like the gasline. So that defintely will be the cauldron -- but why would it drop down? THat metal gasline CANNOT extend like an accordion. To what purpose?

The gasline doesn't lead into the mouth of the cauldron, but into the base of the cauldron (that is the part of the red-encircled area to the right of the "s" in "gettyimages"). So it hasn't to be extended when the cauldron is flipped up.

#3 - If that's going down to the stadium floor, they're going to have to move it out of there once T&F competition starts. so why?

I think CAF didn't mean that the cauldron is lowered to ground level, but only that it's flipped up so that that curved part of the cauldron which looks like a bird's tail is lowered into the roof hole.

And the flame has to shoot upward, NOT downward, free and unencumbered of any structure over it.

Why shall the flame shoot downward? I think it will come out of that thick tube (let me call it "bird's torso") instead of that "bird's tail", so that it will shoot upward.

#4 - Rather than flipping up by itself, the small track there is for a beam that will push the whole thing sitting up. And when it is upright and erect (see my drawing) , it will be visible to one and all outside the stadium as well. Then it will be like a beacon which is what the IOC dictates, in essence, say.

I don't expect it looking like in your drawing. Since it really looks like as if there's a hinge on that cauldron base and since the whole construction sits on the rim of the roof, I expect it to flip up by itself.

CAF, why do you say 'it will be lowered'? It doesn't make sense.

#1 - why go thru all this trouble?

maybe my "drawings" will explain better what I mean:

sledge1fu3.jpg

The green will be partly slid over the edge of the roof

sledge2yp0.jpg

Then the right part of the green will be "lowered" into the stadium - at the same time the left part will be "lifted" up

sledge3md2.jpg

when you look closely at the getty images you can see that the green part, which is now the lowest part, is bend up - therefore it isn't really in an upright position, when the complete green part is upright - it stand appr. 45° up

sledge4fh6.jpg

The gas will be jeted out of this part only - and it would look like something is coming out of these flames

... in Sydney was the cauldron also slid on a sledge...

Oh, that is scary!!

CAF, I don't think so. That is so close to the roof. What if there's a gust of wind that blows the flame towards the roof rim? I believe the roof panes are made of some fiber-glass/plastic material -- therefore not really inflammable.

The IOC and the fire marshalls would not allow it. And if it were so, I sure hope I didn't buy seats underneath that.

#1 - The gasline doesn't lead into the mouth of the cauldron, but into the base of the cauldron (that is the part of the red-encircled area to the right of the "s" in "gettyimages"). So it hasn't to be extended when the cauldron is flipped up.

#2 - I don't expect it looking like in your drawing. Since it really looks like as if there's a hinge on that cauldron base and since the whole construction sits on the rim of the roof, I expect it to flip up by itself.

#1 -I know that. The gasline will come in from the bottom of the structure and wrk its way to the "mouth" of the cauldron.

#2 - I think there will be a hinge or 2, or few, or some support to keep the thing stable over the 17 days. What if there were an earthquake? Would the thing (which is a design after-thought) be stable there on the roof when the earth shakes? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I completely agree with the "hinge theory." - A hinge (perhaps/probably this) will lift the whole cauldron upwards, with this part of the cauldron hanging over the roof's rim. *Btw, there are two sets of floodlights on that corner of the roof, so if the cauldron reaches down that far, it might block some of them*.

Now, if they don't want the finished contraption to just hang there for most of the Opening Ceremony, block some potential fireworks set-ups, and be seen by everyone from the outside before the OC (especially the media from that broadcasting tower, haha), then I can see why they would want to design a whole on the roof - The cauldron would safely be hidden there until the lighting, where it would then be lifted up and slid to the roof’s rim and tilted upwards, surprising everyone. But whether or not it will happen, I don’t know, I can‘t make out anything for sure from these pictures, but I would love to see them do it.