Technical Questions

The record number of guests and members to this website on one day was the day the 2010 Winter Olympics host city was chosen. That was 147 people. How are you going to keep this website from "crashing" and "slowing down", when the time comes for ALL of us to see and make comments here during the Athens 2004 Olympic Games?

I've been having problems today on accessing new threads _ those that have just started but have had no reply to the original posting as yet. Would it be a prob with my system or is it a gamesbids bug?

This is the first of heard of it.  Is there a message, a blank screen or what when you try to access it?

Here's the message I'm getting:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@gamesbids.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.29 Server at www.gamesbids.com Port 80

It only comes up on Andrew Syd's "Stolen Olympic Torch" and RIOMAN's "Someday will South America host the Olympics?" threads.

i too have been getting the same thing on a few topics, but they're temporary and they're gone in a few minutes....hopefully, this site is capable of handling all the traffic - the last time, which was a year ago for Decision 2010, all the 2010 forums were clogged and filled with bugs particurlarly the General 2010 forum....and not to mention the site was soooo sllooooww.

how many hits on average do you think the site will get during Athens? and what's the normal average?

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@gamesbids.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It only comes up on Andrew Syd's "Stolen Olympic Torch" and RIOMAN's "Someday will South America host the Olympics?" threads.

Next time you get this problem make a note of the number of users on GamesBids.com Forums indicated at the bottom of the main page.  I'm not sure what may be causing it but it could be traffic.

Re local coverages of Olympic broadcasts, can you ask folks NOT to post these?  We are all from different time zones and locations, they (the posts) will do nothing but clutter up the fora, eat up precious bandwidth and serve no OTHER purpose.  I mean what does it mean to me that Australia might have the best TV coverage?  I am on the US West Coast.

Thanks.  :hmm:

This morning I posted a new listing in the Sports Illustration Predictions category of Athens 2004 general - it was a comparison between the Sports illustrated predictions and the USa Today predictions - and now its gone - how and why did it disappear?

Moderator:

Can you do something about that damned add that "speaks".  It says "Hi my name is Tina -- etc".  It's a Flash add for the Univeristy of Pheonix, and it's very intrusive.  It scares the heck out of me everytime I go to a page that has it, and I think this is carrying the adverting just a bit too far!

Moderator:

Can you do something about that damned add that "speaks".  It says "Hi my name is Tina -- etc".  It's a Flash add for the Univeristy of Pheonix, and it's very intrusive.  It scares the heck out of me everytime I go to a page that has it, and I think this is carrying the adverting just a bit too far!

On a few issues -

I'm aware of some of the errors happening.  In some cases topics have become corrupt and needed to be deleted which may be why you see topics "disappear".

I'm working on the errors but they may be able to be correct in the short term so we may have to live with them for a bit.  In most cases if you get an error - wait a bit and try again and it will work.  If the error happens while posting - it is likely that your post did work.  Check it before posting again.

Even though the number of users displayed on the bottom may not seem high, traffic and use may be higher than normal.  More people are posting and reading more topics and often then errors occur when too many people do the same thing at the same time.  

I'm sorry for any inconvenience and I thank you for your patience.

To Juan Antonio regarding the "Tina" ad...  I haven't seen that one yet but it sounds interesting.  We do not make specific ad selections, the ad service does that but I can certainly choose to block "offending" ads.  I'll try to do that but it may take a few days to come into effect.

Ads with sound really annoy me too, that's why I turn down my speakers.

The following message appears when I try to access topic in the 'General Olympics Discussion' forum :

"

Internal Server Error

"

Only in the "General Olympics Discussion"

Moderator help!

When I try to post the image using this link

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp....B114CE8

(between IMG and /IMG),

I get an error page, is it possible to do something with it?

I'm nor sure why.  Getty images are copyright (the source you are using) so it may be a security mechanism.

aND My Problem ?

thanks

???

Moderator help!

When I try to post the image using this link

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp....B114CE8

(between IMG and /IMG),

I get an error page, is it possible to do something with it?

I'm nor sure why.  Getty images are copyright (the source you are using) so it may be a security mechanism.

aND My Problem ?

thanks

???

It seems to be a generalized problem. I get that one with the Olympic Mascots thread...

Internal Server Error

Next time you get this problem make a note of the number of users on GamesBids.com Forums indicated at the bottom of the main page.  I'm not sure what may be causing it but it could be traffic.

I am still getting this message when I try to open any topic in the "General olympic discussion" section, and its been the same for the last week

Am I just too impatient, if i leave the screen on for about 30 seconds, it takes it that much longer to go back