Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Emblem

mr.x

Paralogo.jpg

Paralympics Logo for Vancouver 2010

On the Scene in Vancouver

Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006

(ATR) Man Becomes Mountain is the name for the logo of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Paralympics.

Unveiled Saturday, the logo depicts a human form which also appears as a green forest, dark blue mountain and light blue sky, symbolizing the geography of Vancouver and Whistler.

"The emblem also reflects the athletes' mountainous inner strength and personal transformation as they push themselves to new heights in the pursuit of excellence," said a VANOC news release.

The logo was unveiled during a concert festival Saturday in Whistler that followed the sod turning ceremony for the Whistler Olympic and Paralympic Village.

Man Becomes Mountain was created by the Vancouver firm Karacters Design Group.

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Vancouver 2010 Introduces Paralympic Emblem

Posted 10:37 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

Before a crowd of thousands at a free outdoor concert Saturday in the mountain resort of Whistler British Columbia the Vancouver 2010 Organizing Committee unveiled its Paralympic Winter Games Emblem – Man Becomes Mountain – which incorporates what the organizing committee calls “a dynamic human form into West Coast blue and green colours in clean graphics that represent Vancouver and Whistler’s lush coastal forests, dynamic mountains and majestic sky”.

A Vancouver media release describes the emblem as “also reflecting the athletes’ mountainous inner strength and personal transformation as they push themselves to new heights in the pursuit of excellence.

Man becomes Mountain symbolizes the heart of the Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games, a celebration that will bring together Paralympic athletic heroes and Canada’s passion for sport and nature in one of the world’s most breathtaking winter playgrounds”.

During the next three and a half years the Olympic and Paralympic Games emblems and associated designs and colours will be featured in thousands of applications such as licensed products, street banners, publications and rink boards a sport venues.

David Emerson, Olympics Minister, congratulated the members of VANOC on the progress made in preparing for the Games.

He said that the Canadian government would like to see all Canadians across the country get involved in the 2010 Winter Games and over the next three and a half years Canadians from across the country will have an opportunity to get involved, either as volunteers, business owners, students, teachers or sport enthusiasts.

The Canadian government has set aside $20 million for the operations of the Paralympic component of the 2010 Winter Games.

The 2010 Paralympic Winter Games includes alpine skiing, cross country skiing, biathlon, ice sledge hockey and wheelchair curling and will be staged in venues throughout the Resort Municipality of Whistler and Vancouver.

More than 40 countries are expected to participate with an estimated 1,700 Paralympic athletes and team officials.

The 10-day competition will have more than 55 medal events and takes place from March 12-21, 2010, after the Olympic Winter Games.

imo, it's better than the 2010 Olympic logo.

NewLogo_summary.jpgParalogo.jpg

It's OK. Bit bland but OK.

To be honest, I didn't have much faith in the Paralympic logo because most of them are crap, but Vancouver actually did good this time (by comparison). Past Paralympic logos have not been very memorable or stylish, but this one is OK.

Howdy y'all.

I like both man becomes moutain and ilanaaq, they fit well and both won't easily be forgotten. One is an original focal point with brighter colours and another is a subdued version with a different message to convey.

Although I think it's unfair to suggest paralympic branding be 'less than' olympic branding, they do both share the same type of purpose and will never really be "separate" despite different organizations and all of that jive.

How was the event by the way? I was a bit busy yesterday and didn't pay attention to the goings-on.

Much better than the Olympic logo. Less memorable, unfortunately, but much better.

Totally. Altho it's another variation of the "runner" theme, at least the Paralympic logo has a 2nd dimension to it of Man & Mountain. The feckin' Ilanaaq is nothing but a shuffleboard of 5 blobs of color forming a very crude, ungainly whatever. It is so one-dimensional that to someone who doesn't know what it's supposed to emulate, he/she HAS to be told the story behind it to receive its proper meaning. Really a stupid choice!!

I wonder how stupid they're feeling right now at VANOC headquarters, and with the release of the Paralympic logo, how foolish or angry the sponsors feel for paying so much for a bit of amateurish crap like Ilanaaq. I'm surprised there wasn't a sponsors' revolt at that shitty little thing!!

Totally. Altho it's another variation of the "runner" theme, at least the Paralympic logo has a 2nd dimension to it of Man & Mountain. The feckin' Ilanaaq is nothing but a shuffleboard of 5 blobs of color forming a very crude, ungainly whatever. It is so one-dimensional that to someone who doesn't know what it's supposed to emulate, he/she HAS to be told the story behind it to receive its proper meaning. Really a stupid choice!!

I wonder how stupid they're feeling right now at VANOC headquarters, and with the release of the Paralympic logo, how foolish or angry the sponsors feel for paying so much for a bit of amateurish crap like Ilanaaq. I'm surprised there wasn't a sponsors' revolt at that shitty little thing!!

was there a sponsor revolt when atlanta released their shitty amatuerish logo? i think both logo's are dull - like the vancouver font though!

"Man Becomes Mountain" - does that even make sense? I think they are trying to say that the Paralympic athlete overcomes great challenges (the mountain) to make it to the games, but the athlete doesn't become the challenge. And "Man"? I thought that was not PC any more. No women at these games?

What I see here is a logo that would be great for a Whistler golf course logo: the green, the two mountains of Whistler & Blackcombe and either an airborne golf ball or the moon.

Score another quirky execution and missed opportunity for VANOC in their quest to promote their bland vision of Canada.