New Olympic Sports?

Sir Rols

BTW Baron, you are confusing Beach Soccer and Futsall (Futsall is indoor soccer).

Oh, and they're is currently world cup for women's Beach Soccer or for Futsall.

Oups, I made a typo here. I meant to say that they're is currently no world cup for women's Beach Soccer or for women's Futsall.

In fact Baron, women's Rugby is more developed that women's Beach Soccer or women's Futsall.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Olympics: Cricket ponders Olympic declaration

AFP - August 20, 2008, 10:43 am

When veteran Chinese leader Zhou Enlai was asked in the early 1970s what he thought of the impact of the French Revolution of 1789, he replied: "It is too early to say."

How much harder then to speculate on the future.

And when it came to cricket's possible inclusion as an Olympic sport, International Cricket Council (ICC) president David Morgan, in Beijing for the ongoing Games, weighed his words with a care that would have appealed to both Zhou and the opening batsman deciding on what to play and what to leave.

It is not so much too early as too easy to say that while Adam Gilchrist is in favour of Twenty20 cricket, the shortest international form of the game, becoming an Olympic sport and Ian Chappell is very much against, Morgan is very much sat on the fence.

Unlike the two Australians, Morgan leads a large multi-national organisation which finds it difficult to make decisions without the consent of its most powerful members, who do not always see eye-to-eye.

Add in the fact that the earliest likely date for the return of cricket, which did feature in the 1900 Games, to the Olympics is 2020 and Morgan's caution is all the more understandable.

Cricket's rulers are often accused of being obsessed with money and one of the initial consequences of being recognised by the International Olympic Committee (IOC), an organisation founded to promote lofty, amateur ideals, is a financial one.

"The important first step for the International Cricket Council was gaining recognition of the sport and of the council from the IOC," Morgan told AFP here.

"That is important particularly for many of our smaller nations because to belong to a sporting body that has recognition from the IOC improves their opportunity for funding," the Welshman added.

Morgan believes Twenty 20 would fit into the Olympic fortnight "without any difficulty whatsoever".

But with administrators already dealing with fixture clashes caused by the relentless milking of the still-young Twenty20 cash-cow, Morgan admitted trying to find space for yet another tournament - one whose date won't be set by a cricket official - was a potential barrier to Olympic participation.

"It is something that cricket has to think about very carefully," he said.

"This visit, these few days give us the opportunity to assess the potential for cricket becoming an Olympic sport."

He added: "2020 must be the earliest realistic date but I must emphasise the International Cricket Council has to consider its position just as the IOC has to consider its position."

Even though athletes are not paid directly for competing at the Olympics, former Australia wicket-keeper Gilchrist said they would jump at the chance to play in the Games.

"Cricketers won't care about the money. The chance to stand on top of the Olympic podium, to wear an Olympic gold medal and the pride of belting out your national anthem would be a life-changing money-can't-buy experience," he said in a column for Indian daily the Deccan Chronicle.

But legendary Australian captain Chappell said while the Olympics would be fine for a few fortunate players from the sport's top teams it would do nothing for cricket as a whole.

"Marching in an Olympic Games opening ceremony might give individual cricketers goosebumps," Chappell wrote in July's Cricinfo Magazine. "But as part of the evolution of the game, it wouldn't raise a pimple on the backside."

I think I agre with Chappell. I just don't see cricket as an Olympic sport.

Rugby seeks unity in Olympics push

AAP - August 22, 2008, 6:22 pm

The International Rugby Board doesn't want a football-style club v country player row to affect its chances of getting a seven-a-side version of the sport into the Olympics.

IRB regulations state that clubs are obligated to release players for international play, but those don't mention the Olympics. So the Dublin-based governing body will use a council meeting in November to set a specific agreement to secure players' release for the Olympic Games period.

"It's very important that the top players will be with us," IRB chairman Bernard Lapasset said.

"Everyone - the clubs, the unions, the players, everyone - said that any updated version (of the regulations) ... has to be carved out within that the players will be released for the Olympic Games."

Like football, the main concern for rugby is the player availability situation would be the wealthy European clubs which contract players from all over the world. Some of Europe's biggest football clubs won an appeal in the Court of Arbitration for Sport against being forced to release star players for the Olympic tournament.

Rugby is pushing for its condensed Sevens format - a regular side has 15 players - to be included in the Olympics.

The IRB said it had the full backing of the players and was in continuous talks with the International Rugby Players' Association over issues including the rest period for international matches.

"All the top players are involved in this process," Lapasset said. "They support the sevens in the Olympic movement and we receive the support of all the top level players."

Rugby is confident it can win one of the spots up for grabs for the 2016 Games, which will be held in either Madrid, Spain; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Chicago; or Tokyo. The International Olympic Committee will vote in October 2009 on whether to add up to two sports to the 26 that will be played at London 2012.

Although bringing rugby back to the Olympics for the first time since 1924 would give Pacific Island nations like Tonga and Fiji a chance to fight for their first ever medals, critics point to the sport's narrow market appeal.

A report last month said that 97 per cent of the 33 million people who watched last year's World Cup final between South Africa and England came from the eight so-called foundation countries: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

But the IRB points to growing popularity in Asia, Africa and especially in Spanish-speaking countries, with the sport being played at the next Pan American Games.

"We're seeing good support from a lot of people around the world and I am surprised about that," Lapasset said of the some 70 IOC members that he had spoken with in Beijing.

"Probably it's a good support now to rejoin the Olympics movement, to be recognised apart of the family, which we are."

Rugby's proposed Olympic schedule - 16 teams playing over three days - offers one major benefit that squash, golf, roller sports, baseball, softball and karate can't match: Capacity-like crowds at the Olympic stadium over the first week of competition.

"You have a stadium that is empty for a week after the opening ceremony. We can fill that," said Mike Miller, chief executive of the IRB.

The IRB hosts its regular World Cup, for the 15-a-side game, every four years and stages an annual Sevens world series as well as a Sevens World Cup.

Fingers crossed!

If I was the IOC this would be the changes I would make to the Olympic program:

Athletics – eliminate the race walking events

Aquatics:

Diving – eliminate the synchronized diving events and replace with 1m springboard

Swimming: eliminate the men’s 1500m race and replace with 800m

Baseball – keep eliminated

Boxing – par the men’s down to 8 weight-classes, had 8 women’s weight-classes

Canoe/Kayaking – work with the federation to introduce 3 women’s canoe races

Cycling – make track cycling gender neutral

Fencing – eliminate team competition

Football – eliminate

Modern Pentathlon – eliminate

Rowing – add 1 more women’s lightweight class, and lightweight 8’s

Softball – keep eliminated

Tennis – eliminate

Weightlifting – eliminate

Rugby 7’s – add men’s and women’s tournament

Golf – match play tournament

Squash – men’s, women’s and team competition

If I was the IOC this would be the changes I would make to the Olympic program:

Athletics – eliminate the race walking events

Aquatics:

Diving – eliminate the synchronized diving events and replace with 1m springboard

Swimming: eliminate the men’s 1500m race and replace with 800m

Baseball – keep eliminated

Boxing – par the men’s down to 8 weight-classes, had 8 women’s weight-classes

Canoe/Kayaking – work with the federation to introduce 3 women’s canoe races

Cycling – make track cycling gender neutral

Fencing – eliminate team competition

Football – eliminate

Modern Pentathlon – eliminate

Rowing – add 1 more women’s lightweight class, and lightweight 8’s

Softball – keep eliminated

Tennis – eliminate

Weightlifting – eliminate

Rugby 7’s – add men’s and women’s tournament

Golf – match play tournament

Squash – men’s, women’s and team competition

I pretty much agree with you, but I would still keep Golf out. It is soooooooooooo BORING to watch.

For diving - I would add Cliff Diving.

If you're eliminating the Modern Pentathlon, I would also eliminate the euqally repetitive Triathlon. It would still leave the program with the Heptathlon and the Decathlon.

Gymnastics: I would add more Rhythmic Team events, and a Men's division -- seriously. Truly a beautiful sport!!

Squash is just another form of badminton/tennis -- so it doesn't really add anything new.

New sport: paragliding. That would absolutely be photogenic!!

For london 2012:

INCREASE maximum quota of gold medal events.

Boxing; drop a weight division and add 4 female divisions.

Canoe/Kayak; add K1 and K2 1000 for women, drop K4 500 and add K4 1000.

Cycling; reinstate track time trials, add women's keiren and team pursuit.

Fencing; add men's team foil and women's team epee.

Rowing; add women's fours and ltweight fours.

Wrestling; add 3 women's freestyle wrestling divisions.

I hope cricket is NOT added...In my country (and we are around 110 millions) there only about 40 cricket players in the only private course and all are immigrants and their sons! And eliminating baseball for cricket? Way no!

I would love golf to be added, specially because the best female golfer in the world is Lorena Ochoa!

And yeah, Cliff Diving would be cool!! More golds for México! Who in the world could beeat "La Quebrada" of Acapulco divers!!??

But if there was a sport which I would like to be added above all is auto racing, but I know it's impossible...Maybe a round of A1 GP, but now it's imposible...

I hope cricket is NOT added...In my country (and we are around 110 millions) there only about 40 cricket players in the only private course and all are immigrants and their sons! And eliminating baseball for cricket? Way no!

I would love golf to be added, specially because the best female golfer in the world is Lorena Ochoa!

And yeah, Cliff Diving would be cool!! More golds for México! Who in the world could beeat "La Quebrada" of Acapulco divers!!??

But if there was a sport which I would like to be added above all is auto racing, but I know it's impossible...Maybe a round of A1 GP, but now it's imposible...

It's not about ONE country's position (and sorry but Mexico is a fairly insignificant nation on the Olympic scene), but global popularity. Fencing has absolutely no following in Australia and yet it is still in the Olympics which i support. Cricket is one of the world's TOP 3 spectator sports worldwide. Popular in Aus, NZ, Africa, Britain, Caribbean and moderately in North America. But most importantly, People on the Indian Subcontinent are hysterical for cricket. This is a region accounting for a fifth of the world's population and yet has virtually no success at Olympic level and minimal interest in the Olympics altogether; facts i'm sure the IOC would be well aware of. Cricket, I think, will inevitably enter the Olymic programme eventually if the ICC (international cricket council) support it, entirely because of it's popularity in a financially booming and ridiculously populated market that is India.

Compare this with Baseball, which is primarily popular in the US, hardly a new market for Olympic popularity. Korea and Japan have their martial arts and are already "engaged" in the Games with their success on the Medal Tally. Aside from the small nation that is Cuba, and moderate support from Central America, that's it for Baseball. Not competitive (4 powerhouse countries- then daylight), best players don't participate, doesn't attract lucrative new markets. Cricket, by comparison, has a respectable 8 powerhouse nations, though the format of Twenty20 allows smaller nations to have a much greater chance (similar to Rugby 7's). Attracts massive new markets. Unlike Baseball, Cricket would allow traditionally weak olympic nations to be medal contenders: India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa, Jamaica etc.

So, bring in Twenty20 for Cape Town 2020!

The problem with cricket is the same as baseball and softball. The costs of stadiums, outside of the Windies, the UK, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Australia and New Zealand there is extremely low cricket infrastructure. This would mean for the vast majority of countries they would have to build a cricket stadium because of no infrastructure. The cost of introducing cricket for the number of medals given is not worth it. 1 set of medals and a 200millionish stadium bill? Not feasible at all.

Karate got the closest of any of the sports that were voted on in 2005.

The problem with cricket is the same as baseball and softball. The costs of stadiums, outside of the Windies, the UK, South Africa, India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Australia and New Zealand there is extremely low cricket infrastructure. This would mean for the vast majority of countries they would have to build a cricket stadium because of no infrastructure. The cost of introducing cricket for the number of medals given is not worth it. 1 set of medals and a 200millionish stadium bill? Not feasible at all.

Karate got the closest of any of the sports that were voted on in 2005.

$200 million for an oval and temporary stands seating 15-20,000? Hardly. $80-100 million at most. My point is that Cricket deserves to be in the Olympics more so than Baseball and Softball; the IOC needs cricket more so than Baseball and Softball; both primarily due to India. I would certainly like to see Cricket in the games but that is a bias opinion. Rugby 7's, squash and roller sports' should become olympic sports first; after that, i would prefer Cricket included instead of Golf, baseball or softball.

$200 million for an oval and temporary stands seating 15-20,000? Hardly. $80-100 million at most. My point is that Cricket deserves to be in the Olympics more so than Baseball and Softball; the IOC needs cricket more so than Baseball and Softball; both primarily due to India. I would certainly like to see Cricket in the games but that is a bias opinion. Rugby 7's, squash and roller sports' should become olympic sports first; after that, i would prefer Cricket included instead of Golf, baseball or softball.

The cost of having cricket in the games for the number of medals being awarded is not worth it. It does not make financial sense to have cricket in the games. Only 10 to 15 countries take cricket seriously. You have probably about 4 to 4.5 billion people in the world that couldn't tell you the first thing about cricket. Imagine Japan, Canada, the US, France or Germany hosting a cricket tournament? Cricket just to bring India's interest in is a very weak argument. India doesn't see beyond the oval and for the most part Indians are very happy with that. As for the ICC, just like FIFA its doubtful that they would jeopardizes their own brand to play second fiddle to the IOC and be caught running tournaments every 4 years in countries that couldn't give two sh!ts about cricket.

The lack of international female cricket is also problematic for the sport. And India is not a big player in the IOC, its why the US was appeased with baseball and softball, while India has never for cricket.

If any new sport gets in for 2016, I really hope its Squash. A Squash venue is relatively inexpensive and can be placed just about anywhere (including outdoors). The sport is far more viewable whit the introduction of HDTV (I showed a HD clip of Squash to my parents, both of which know virtually nothing about Squash, and they both had no trouble following the ball), and of full glass courts. And to top it off, every continent has at least one Squash powerhouse, and underrepresented countries such as India, Pakistan, Malaysia and Egypt are among the top Squash nations in the world.

If any new sport gets in for 2016, I really hope its Squash. A Squash venue is relatively inexpensive and can be placed just about anywhere (including outdoors). The sport is far more viewable whit the introduction of HDTV (I showed a HD clip of Squash to my parents, both of which know virtually nothing about Squash, and they both had no trouble following the ball), and of full glass courts. And to top it off, every continent has at least one Squash powerhouse, and underrepresented countries such as India, Pakistan, Malaysia and Egypt are among the top Squash nations in the world.

OK here's my question. How do you place a small squash court in a large arena -- say the Beach Volleyball venue which normally sits 15,000. So, in that vast expanse, you would have this little glass-enclosed court with the players inside whacking away like crazy? It would really be like a lab rat-prison, except it's GLASS. :blink: And then you would have to have those cameras pretty much close by to give it good coverage -- thereby blocking the views of the best courtside seats.

REAL logistics man, you have got to think REAL logistics -- not ideal ones.

Guest TOKYO 2016
It's a topic we've discussed before at length, but I couldn't find any of the old threads. Still, it's always a good one to get discussion going.

Anyway, the Malaysians do have a point _ and I've followed the whole lobbying for Sepak Takraw for a few years now. One of the more woprkable suggestions I've seen is for the sport to affiliate with the world Volleyball federation, and then try to get included in the various international games via the back door, as a new volleyball event. Either that, or Kuala Lumpur will just have to win the right to host an Olympics, and then use its hosting position to lobby for the sport. The alternative is, as Rogge so often points out, some existing sports have to go before any new ones can be added. And the efforts of the past year show how difficult THAT is.

If the IOC was going to let in new sports, my favourites would be Rugby 7s and squash. Oh, and bring softball back!

Taekwondo OUT

Baseball, Softball, Karate, Rugby IN

Archived