Dakar 2026 - 4th Youth Olympic Games

Dakar 2026

4th Youth Olympic Games

Dakar_2026_Summer_Youth_Olympic_Games.sv

It was originally planned to be held in Dakar, Senegal for 18 days from 22 October to 9 November 2022, becoming the first IOC event to be held in Africa and the first in a Muslim-majority country. However, on 15 July 2020, the IOC and Senegal agreed to postpone the games to 2026 due to the operational and economical consequences of the postponement of the 2020 Summer Olympics to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Originally scheduled to be held in 2022, on 9 December 2014 at the 127th IOC Session it was decided to move the organisation of the YOG to a non-Olympic year, starting with the 4th Summer Youth Olympic Games, to be postponed from 2022 to 2023. Subsequently, the IOC reverted to a 2022 date, and announced in February 2018 that they would be recommending that the event be held in Africa. The 132nd IOC Session confirmed the change of date back to 2022 on 7 February 2018. The host was announced at the 133rd IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina during the 2018 edition. However, in July 2020, the postponement of what would have been the 2022 Summer Youth Olympics to 2026 was confirmed.

source: 2026 Summer Youth Olympics - Wikipedia

executive summary of 14 pages: Dakar 2022-Edition-Plan-ENG-Executive-summary.pdf (olympic.org)

dakar 2022 presentation file of 22 pages: Voodoo Powerpoint (olympic.org)

The wait is really too long for a games that was supposed to be for the youth, isn´t it? Not saying the postponement wasn´t needed or necessary; this is about the point of this games — The consequence of Covid havoc for the summer YOG means that a entire generation might have missed their shot to be there even before they even had the chance of start... But you also have to wonder if they could just jump straight to the adults playground, specially with the number of teenagers competing in the Games of the Olympiad as of late.

The YOG is actually, for sporting purposes, like a olympic laboratory based on a cooler Olympic Youth Camp; this is where the amazing 3X3 came from after being adapted from street basketball, Monobob also made their debut here. They play Futsal instead of Field Football, Beach Handball instead of Indoors Handball, Mixed TEAMS of mixed nacionalities, ceremonies on public plazas. They´re also a budget olympics that smaller countries could afford. We could be seeing Olympia 2025 after Dakar if the pandemic didn´t got in the way? After all, the 2800th anniversary is fast aproaching...

But, in the end of the day, it is a age bracket tournament. But the adults can play with the kids in the big show. AND THE KIDS CAN WIN. Eight years of wait for two Summer YOG editions is too much, and maybe dangerous to the whole idea when Skateboard and Figure Skating don´t have age restrictions. Hopefully, Senegal can show us a Olympic Party in Africa, though.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, fatixxx said:

The place a huge AFCON trophy right after Senegal's victory in the Africa Cup of Nations earlier this year in Cameroon.

Dakar 2026 - 4th Youth Olympic Games

Will be organized in TOTAL of 3 clusters

Dakar City Center > in the center we find aquatics

Diamniadio > in the cemter we find the olympic stadium

Saly > Coastal Cluster with other watersports, golf & beach sports

ccqEIsu.png

official opening @ 20.02.2022

President Erdoğan and other guest heads of state were invited to the stadium to make the inauguration/opening of the newly build olympic stadium in dakar/senegal.. build by the turkish enterprise TABANLIOĞLU .. erdogan chatted with some football players on the way to the field, then made a pass with the senegalese president SALL and other heads of state in the midfield. // TA_ Tabanlıoğlu Architects | Architecture | Mimarlık (tabanlioglu.com)

senegal2_.jpg

source: Senegal Stadı, Cumhurbaşkanı Erdoğan'ın katıldığı törenle açıldı (aa.com.tr)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 3:01 PM, fatixxx said:

Dakar 2026

4th Youth Olympic Games

Dakar_2026_Summer_Youth_Olympic_Games.sv

It was originally planned to be held in Dakar, Senegal for 18 days from 22 October to 9 November 2022, becoming the first IOC event to be held in Africa and the first in a Muslim-majority country. However, on 15 July 2020, the IOC and Senegal agreed to postpone the games to 2026 due to the operational and economical consequences of the postponement of the 2020 Summer Olympics to 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

What is not mentioned is prior to the Covid-19 pandemic there were serious concerns with Dakar's preparations including guarantees for funding along with the lack of the formation of an organizing committee. It got to the point where speculation began about whether or not Dakar would face the same fate that Durban did in the CWGs. The pandemic just gave the IOC an excuse to move the YOGs to give them more time to sort things out. So far there's been no indication any of the concerns pre-Covid have been addressed. I'm still holding to my prediction that the IOC will relocate the 2026 YOGs sometime next year.

The YOG is the most mind numbingly pointless exercise. The Olympics are for the youth. I get the impression the YOG was borne out of the early 2000s where you had cities like Madrid, Paris, Tokyo, Chicago, Toronto, etc falling over each other to get the Olympics. Meanwhile their flagship event went to Brisbane unopposed. What kind of city exactly do they hope to take this on?

Dakar should cut their losses and run. 

11 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

The YOG is the most mind numbingly pointless exercise. The Olympics are for the youth. I get the impression the YOG was borne out of the early 2000s where you had cities like Madrid, Paris, Tokyo, Chicago, Toronto, etc falling over each other to get the Olympics. Meanwhile their flagship event went to Brisbane unopposed. What kind of city exactly do they hope to take this on?

Dakar should cut their losses and run. 

I agree the YOGs are pointless but I also believe the underlying reason for their creation is to award them to candidate cities that otherwise cannot host the Olympics. I like to think of it as the YOGs are the B-team event while the Olympics are the A-team event. It also gives the IOC an escusento say "we finally brought the Olympics to Africa!" TBH with the financial and logistical requirements for the SOGs the best the likes of Africa, much of Asia, and all of Latin America (post-Rio of course) can hope for is the YOGs.

2 hours ago, stryker said:

I agree the YOGs are pointless but I also believe the underlying reason for their creation is to award them to candidate cities that otherwise cannot host the Olympics. I like to think of it as the YOGs are the B-team event while the Olympics are the A-team event. It also gives the IOC an escusento say "we finally brought the Olympics to Africa!" TBH with the financial and logistical requirements for the SOGs the best the likes of Africa, much of Asia, and all of Latin America (post-Rio of course) can hope for is the YOGs.

That I think is precisely the issue - its just more empty fanfare at a time when the IOC should be focusing on their premium event's sustainability. Its especially odd when their most recent Olympic appointment is Brisbane, but previous YOG ('B team')  hosts have included the likes of Singapore and Buenos Aries - prominent global capitals. 

If I were Manchester, why on earth would I want the YOG when the SOG is now clearly being promoted as an accessible option under the New Norm?

9 hours ago, stryker said:

I agree the YOGs are pointless but I also believe the underlying reason for their creation is to award them to candidate cities that otherwise cannot host the Olympics. 

6 hours ago, Australian Kiwi said:

That I think is precisely the issue - its just more empty fanfare at a time when the IOC should be focusing on their premium event's sustainability. Its especially odd when their most recent Olympic appointment is Brisbane, but previous YOG ('B team')  hosts have included the likes of Singapore and Buenos Aries - prominent global capitals. 

If I were Manchester, why on earth would I want the YOG when the SOG is now clearly being promoted as an accessible option under the New Norm?

That's might be so if one is to view the youth Olympics in that way. But the real issue is that the redundant youth Games were really just a creation of then IOC president Jacques Rogge. He just wanted to leave something for his "legacy".

I don't believe for a moment it was due to let these smaller-league cities have an "opportunity" to host some kind of an "Olympics", precisely from those examples. If that were the case, then Brisbane should've been a prime candidate for these youth Games. But instead, they were virtually given the real deal on a silver platter. Go figure.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:50 PM, Australian Kiwi said:

Well let me expand on my initial post, the "B games" are for cities in what are essentially countries incapable of hosting the SOGs. Buenos Aires fits that description perfectly. There's no country in South America or Africa that can handle the financial and logistical operations of a SOGs (Brazil proved this with Rio), even with the New Norm and Agenda 2020. Most of Asia I'd argue is out as well. Buenos Aires did a spectacular job with the YOGs, but that's their limit. As for Brisbane and Manchester, both are in countries that are among the few places that can handle the requirements of a SOGs. I've mentioned before I seriously doubt the IOC is seriously looking beyond the following regions for a SOGs anytime in the near future: Australia, Korea, Japan, China, most of Western Europe, the USA, and Canada. Those are safe hosts that can handle the SOGs at a reasonable cost along with having necessary infrastructure in place. Having said all that, the YOGs are still a waste of time and resources the IOC should be using on improving public relations for future bidding cycles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2022 at 5:22 AM, SportLightning said:

Maybe Dakar (Senegal) if they don't get the organizing committee established, they could delay to further again to get more time on establishing it.

There would not be a further delay. The IOC would strip Dakar of the event if that happened.

19 minutes ago, SportLightning said:

Not everyone agrees that Dakar would be stripped from hosting these games.

Yes if you're the tipe of person in this forum who think that olympics (an event ivolving 150+ countries) should be restrained only to the G7 countries, like a couple users around this thread

You’re being absolutely silly. Yes, the Olympics are an event “involving” nearly 200 different NOC’s. But guess what? Not “every” single one of those NOC’s will get to host the Olympic Games. It’s just not feasibly possible.

For starters, in the history of the Olympic Games, there have been ONLY 24 different countries to have hosted the Olympics (both summer & winter). That should tell you something right there. 

Also, another aspect to keep in mind, is that the Olympic Games are actually a LUXURY, & not some entitled right like you’re painting it out to be. Not every single one of those involved countries in the Olympic family are viable options. When the IOC feels comfortable enough to take the plunge to a new territory, they do it. At other times, though, they don’t. 

But it has NOTHING to do with being that “type of person/G7” nonsense that you’re trying to spew here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FYI said:

You’re being absolutely silly. Yes, the Olympics are an event “involving” nearly 200 different NOC’s. But guess what? Not “every” single one of those NOC’s will get to host the Olympic Games. It’s just not feasibly possible.

For starters, in the history of the Olympic Games, there have been ONLY 24 different countries to have hosted the Olympics (both summer & winter). That should tell you something right there. 

Also, another aspect to keep in mind, is that the Olympic Games are actually a LUXURY, & not some entitled right like you’re painting it out to be. Not every single one of those involved countries in the Olympic family are viable options. When the IOC feels comfortable enough to take the plunge to a new territory, they do it. At other times, though, they don’t. 

But it has NOTHING to do with being that “type of person/G7” nonsense that you’re trying to spew here.

If it wasn't understood, this is the type of user I was refering to