Fifa World Womens Cup 2023 Aust-NZ

Oof! That was tense enough already. Imagine what I’m going to be a like tomorrow!

5 hours ago, SportLightning said:

I'm hoping for a first time winner of the FIFA Women's World Cup of 2023.

Well, you get your wish (also what I was hoping for). Someone’s going to get their first star.

Edited by Sir Rols

Well bang goes my theory that Japan were big favourites. I don't want to pass it to anyone else now as it looks like a curse... but I guess we can't rule Sweden out. They haven't been noticed but you don't knock out the most successful team in history then the best team at the tournament by chance. 

Edit: just realised we could have a Sweden v Australia final... the @Sir Rols derby!

Edited by yoshi

1 hour ago, Alexjc said:

Oh boy are the Dutch supporters' bad sports...

Made such a racket heading into the stadium before the match...Only to leave all angry and grumpy after...

Join the club with their American counterparts--the angry and grumpy part. Lineth Beerensteyn kinda got what she deserved after gloating with her "Yes Bye" quote despite her good shot on goal effort versus Spain. But that doesn't change the fact what that disgrace of a USWNT program did--you should've won, you idiots, you should be marching towards this stage...

Kinda glad Japan is out because of that incompetence from the Americans leading to Japan wrongfully winning back in 2011 and don't want to be reminded of that had they won here despite being highly-rated. The Japanese still didn't deserve to win that 12 years ago.

We are now assured of a new Women's World Cup champion joining the club with its first star and Nadeshiko now thankfully eliminated, yes. While exciting and reflective of the new 32-team expansion (may like to see 48 like the men, keep the intercontinental tournament), that wrath on the USWNT should be indictive--the post IS coming! Should've been you beating Japan or Spain! Would like to see Australia, France (to finally fufill its longstanding potential), England, or Spain to win it all. Sweden's Blagult neutralized the seemingly adaptable red-hot Japanese somehow, who played intelligently. I actually thought Sweden would win because of their organization, height, goalie, pressing, defense, attack, physicality, and set piece skills. Japan got things wrong and started off late instead of guns ablazing, fluidity, and with urgency. Weren't those the case in the opening hour, they'd be advancing even with those near misses. That Auckland game night, they got things wrong and struggled with possession. Suffered and never recovered.

Okay, now I’m a bit more composed….

Australia was already in the grip of Matildas fever before. Now it’s just primed to self combust. Honestly, this is probably easily and by far our biggest shared sports moment since the 2000 Olympics.

Personally, I’m happy we got to the semis. Anything else now will be just icing on the cake (though I’ll be overjoyed if my Dad and I can see a Sweden-Oz final happen. I can’t believe that prospect’s still alive. And I’d have a consolation foot in both camps if…)

Edited by Sir Rols

That was one hell of a shootout - and so far I'm not too optimistic about England not putting us through it again later :ph34r: Australia v England semi would be wonderful, although tbh I'd rather that was the final - it's been great to see you embracing it so much & even as an Arsenal supporting Pom I like Sam Kerr so they'd be my second team :)

5 minutes ago, yoshi said:

Well it's a win - still yet to see England do anything other than scrape it when it matters though.

Hmm, think you're underselling the performance there. Colombia had a strong ten minutes in the first half when they scored and came on strong towards the end of the game as they had to, otherwise it was England on top. I don't think we were ever going to win that one comprehensively, it always looked like a tight, physical game. I'm happy enough.

Hmm fair point - I guess I'm just concerned about how we'll go against Australia without a big improvement. With all due respect to Colombia, Australia at home with a fully fit Sam is several levels up as a challenge. Looking forward to 2027 to see how this Colombia improve, they should be a big threat to everyone. 

What really annoys me is if (highly likely) England make the final, that evil beast James will make a smug triumphant return as if nothing has happened with the english media making her a saint and all is forgiven and forgotten. the Australian players better watch their backs literally lol If she gets to lift that trophy that scene will be sickening to the core to watch.

• Confused 1