LA 2028 Ceremonies

15 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Based on the recent Super Bowl, there's nothing about SoFi's atmosphere that will enhance an Olympic ceremony. The basic look and layout of the building are what I'm mainly referring to.

Unless the 2028 OOC can somehow take off the stadium's canopy, I doubt my impressions of the place in 2028 will be all the different from my impressions of it in 2022.

SoFI is fine for NFL. But for "Olympics ceremony," I bet it will turn out generic and lifeless. And *that's* assuming the producer in 2028 at least doesn't follow the template of most openings/closings for years.

It's a different stadium than the Coliseum to say the very least.  The Coliseum was ideal in 1984 where a massive card stunt was a neat addition and something that was memorable.  I don't think that would play so well in 2028.

The producers have a lot of time to figure this out.  I'm sure they'll manage to come up with some fresh ideas, especially that there's a 2 stadium concept involved here.  I fully expect if you're posting here in 2028, you'll have more than a few criticisms to offer.  My contention remains that you'll be in the minority on that one and most of the viewing audiences across the world won't be so negative about it, whatever the show winds up being

15 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Did you read my post above where I mentioned that comments in this thread over the past day or so are more about TOS and the idiosyncrasies of a user (in this case, me) than it is about "2028 Ceremonies?"

There's nothing I've said where I resent users bypassing me, putting me on ignore or even going, "Your opinions suck! They're idiotic! This is why I believe you're wrong..."

I welcome a conversation. A lively debate too. But if people ignore me, that's fine too.

This thread is about "2028 Ceremonies." I'm interested in that.

I'm not posting in here to troll, flame, BS for BS's sake or trigger other users' own personality traits.

And did you read my rebuttal about how that is not as common as you make out, how it’s usually avoided, but sometimes necessary or unavoidable, and how you’re bringing much of that on yourself?

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

I don't think that would play so well in 2028.

My take on things is different for yours or admittedly those of a lot of people in an age of high tech, the internet, selfies, Instagram, Netflix, etc.

I think the human touch has been lost in openings/closings.

For instance, even though I thought 2022 got the basic format down fairly right, the fact that most of its music was canned or pre-recorded did make the ceremonies somewhat robotic. Or too synthetic.

14 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

Did you read my post above where I mentioned that comments in this thread over the past day or so are more about TOS and the idiosyncrasies of a user (in this case, me) than it is about "2028 Ceremonies?"

There's nothing I've said where I resent users bypassing me, putting me on ignore or even going, "Your opinions suck! They're idiotic! This is why I believe you're wrong..."

I welcome a conversation. A lively debate too. But if people ignore me, that's fine too.

This thread is about "2028 Ceremonies." I'm interested in that.

I'm not posting in here to troll, flame, BS for BS's sake or trigger other users' own personality traits.

And there are ways to get that.  But whether it's intentional or not, you are trolling and offering up BS for BS's sake.  You're not trying to engage in a conversation or have a debate.  You just want to see your own thoughts over and over again.  If other posters didn't want to engage the first time, why would they now?

Since Rols has us on a Simpsons kick and I'm sure he'll be upset he didn't think of this himself (plus we know how much you love video clips, of which this is nice and short, only 7 seconds), try being a little less Bart Simpson and don't have a cow, man...

1 minute ago, Sir Rols said:

And did you read my rebuttal about how that is not as common as you make out, how it’s usually avoided, but sometimes necessary or unavoidable, and how you’re bringing much of that on yourself?

Okay, I get that. But beyond that matter, what are your likes and dislikes as to what 2028 may do? Or not do.

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

Since Rols has us on a Simpsons kick and I'm sure he'll be upset he didn't think of this himself (plus we know how much you love video clips, of which this is nice and short, only 7 seconds), try being a little less Bart Simpson and don't have a cow, man...

In this post, I hope you see the irony of your complaining that I post too many videos, say the same things over and over, wander off topic and in general like to trigger other GB users with trolling or flaming.

2 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

My take on things is different for yours or admittedly those of a lot of people in an age of high tech, the internet, selfies, Instagram, Netflix, etc.

I think the human touch has been lost in openings/closings.

For instance, even though I thought 2022 got the basic format down fairly right, the fact that most of its music was canned or pre-recorded did make the ceremonies somewhat robotic. Or too synthetic.

That's the thing though.. the audience of these ceremonies is those people who embrace the age of high tech and social media, not those who pine for the days of large choirs.  We don't have skateboarding and freestyle skiing in the Olympics because it's rooted in longstanding tradition.  It's because the IOC, most of whom are probably out of touch with today's youth, are trying to appeal to a younger demographic that doesn't think the Olympics are the big event they once were.  And I can promise you, that didn't happen because the ceremonies lost a human touch.  I get the argument you're trying to make, but understand that you're in the minority on that one.  To say nothing of the fact that, by your own admission, you haven't watched all of the ceremonies

3 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

That's the thing though.. the audience of these ceremonies is those people who embrace the age of high tech and social media, not those who pine for the days of large choirs. 

I doubt you've watched all or any of the videos I've posted that have shown various choirs. Many of them have performed very current music. One even did a rap version of Sting's "Every Breath You Take."

I've posted such videos -  okay, maybe too many of them - partly to rebut people with your opinion.

For some reason, you think "choir" is too much of an old-time format or old-people's concept. I can ensure you, just about all the groups I've shown singing in unison have been largely younger people. And, again, mostly younger people doing mainly newer music. Not church hymns or something from Bach or Strauss, etc.

12 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

In this post, I hope you see the irony of your complaining that I post too many videos, say the same things over and over, wander off topic and in general like to trigger other GB users with trolling or flaming.

Other posters here are trying to help you.  You say you want to be a member of this community (of a very niche within a niche subject), but you don't seem to want to heed anyone's advice as to how to do that.  Instead, you choose to be incredibly cynical and then wonder why no one wants to engage with you.  You correctly pointed out that this forum has a long history of in-fighting.  That was a product of cities competing with each other in Olympic bidding (something we haven't had much of in recent years) and it often turned these boards into a giant cesspool.  And I blame the forum for turning what mean have been otherwise well-meaning people into giant assholes. 

The forum is not to blame for your persona.  This place is the equivalent of a nice quiet bar where people are going about their business, and occasionally looking up from their drinks to having chats with each other.  You're the equivalent of a patron who barges in and puts a whole bunch of money into the jukebox to play his music and wonders why people are annoyed with him.  Once you can understand that and realize why others perceive you so negatively, then maybe you can stop doing the things that make your presence around here like nails on a chalkboard

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

I doubt you've watched all or any of the videos I've posted that have shown various choirs. Many of them have performed very current music. One even did a rap version of Sting's "Every Breath You Take."

I've posted such videos -  okay, maybe too many of them - partly to rebut people with your opinion.

For some reason, you think "choir" is too much of an old-time format or old-people's concept. I can ensure you, just about all the groups I've shown singing in unison have been largely younger people. And, again, mostly younger people doing mainly newer music. Not church hymns or something from Bach or Strauss, etc.

No, haven't watched the videos because yes, there are a lot of them and videos take time to watch.  The issue isn't the makeup of the groups singing and performing.  It wouldn't be a bunch of old farts because that would be an instant turn off.  But you've also made it clear you're not a fan of pop music.  If Sting performed Every Breath You Take with a choir to back him in 2012 (only bringing up 2012 because you mentioned Sting and where he's from), would you have been a fan or that?  Or would have been too British for you?

Olympics2028, simply put, your behaviour clearly is trolling behaviour, it’s all about you you you and your barrage of videos and comments.

You may want to review some common definitions of the different types of trolls and reflect on these:

What’s hiding behind that keyboard? Trolls on Gamesbids.com

• Haha 1

Isn't this thread supposedly on the topic of "2028 Ceremonies?"

Gamesbids.com already has so many threads and sub-forums, maybe a section dedicated to "TOS" or "GB Users/Posters" will suit that purpose?

As for "Olympic ceremonies," I read that another type of so-called ceremony held a few days ago involved a major celebrity slapping another celebrity.

In general, a lot of trends in openings/closings of summer and winter games are so baked into the culture and politics, that anything from here on out - and going back years too - is now a given.

The 2028 games will probably feature a segment that honors slapping and cussing. No joking either.

The 2016 opening involved a rap singer whose song featured a few F bombs.

19 minutes ago, Olympics2028 said:

So what would you like to see at an opening/closing in 2028?

I’d like to see how the two Stadiums will be linked in 2028, how the Los Angeles’ long proud Olympic City history will be given a nod or acknowledged in the transition from Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum over to the magnificent SoFi Stadium.

At SoFi Stadium, I’d like to see the Ceremony be given the full Hollywood theatrical and special effects treatment and how the creative team make full use of that massive “air space” between the Stadium floor and the roof.

9 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

At SoFi Stadium, I’d like to see the Ceremony be given the full Hollywood theatrical and special effects treatment and how the creative team make full use of that massive “air space” between the Stadium floor and the roof.

That vertical height (or air space) actually isn't all that massive.

Also, that canopy is going to limit major effects (not special, but common at Olympic openings/closings) associated with things like fireworks or drones.

Several weeks ago, the NFL was limited in presenting this above a location closer to the LA Coliseum than SoFi Stadium several miles to the south in Inglewood.

^ Actually, since outright rap was done at the opening of the 2016 games, it's no longer a case of what-ifs? and how-abouts? regarding that format being used in Olympic ceremonies.

A full-fledged choir accompanying a piece like this could be made to fit an "Olympics" more than necessarily the solo opera singers of, say, 1992 Barcelona did.

https://iisoh.org/opening-ceremonies-1992-olympic-games/

Any type of solo singer doesn't provide a really big sound or hero-ized quality to a ceremony.

If Olympic openings/closings over the past few decades had been using the exact same format of summer/winer ceremonies over 30 years ago, then that too would now be too much a case of "been there, done that."

a rendition of Spanish opera as aume Aragall, Teresa Berganza, Montserrat Caballé, Josep Carreras, Plácido Domingo and Joan Pons

1 hour ago, Olympics2028 said:

That vertical height (or air space) actually isn't all that massive.

Also, that canopy is going to limit major effects (not special, but common at Olympic openings/closings) associated with things like fireworks or drones.

Several weeks ago, the NFL was limited in presenting this above a location closer to the LA Coliseum than SoFi Stadium several miles to the south in Inglewood.

It’s a massive air space with 7 tiers of grandstand seating that I can count.

The field in SoFi Stadium also goes down 100 feet (30 metres), below ground level to reduce it’s above ground height due to the proximity of LAX and building height restrictions in that area.

Yes there is plenty of air space between the field and the video screen suspended above to accommodate theatrical flying equipment, ir tall props or structures on the field of play for spectacular effect, if any were to be used by the Ceremonies Creative Team.

SoFi Stadium can also project images on it’s roof, including live action from the field of play and whatever is happening in the Opening Ceremony.

The LA2028 Opening Ceremony will be a unique celebration and “coming home” party in

Let go of your dreams and memories of what came before.

SoFi Stadium is unique with a big performance space for a truly unique and spectacular LA2028 Opening Ceremony. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AustralianFan said:

SoFi Stadium is unique with a big performance space for a truly unique and spectacular LA2028 Opening Ceremony. 

The NFL Super Bowl in February gave sort of a preview of what 2028 will be like.

SoFi is fine for football and garden-variety concerts. But for "Olympic ceremony?" I'm sensing it will give off an anonymous, lackluster vibe or quality. But that's just my opinion. 

Casey Wasserman insisted to a sports reporter several weeks ago that SoFi will be the place for the opening/closing of the 2028 games.

Wasserman has also said previously he wants the Olympic games to become more political, not less.

2028 had better keep their budget under control and hopefully generate good attendance. I'm already seeing an undercurrent of a bit of the 1996 summer games mixed with the 2012 summer games.