USA 2024

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, Disneyland did rocket man almost thirty years earlier. Most people remember the spaceship the most.

You don't know what you're talking about. You're wrong, plain and simple.

The spaceship wasn't even in the OC, it was in the CC and it did not have anywhere near the same impact as the rocket man. Disney did NOT do the same thing in the 50's or 60's.

You are voicing opinions about something you know NOTHING about. You were not even born at the time. You can comment on what you think is more interesting NOW, but you are clueless about how these things were received in 1984.

You don't know what you're talking about. You're wrong, plain and simple.

The spaceship wasn't even in the OC, it was in the CC and it did not have anywhere near the same impact as the rocket man. Disney did NOT do the same thing in the 50's or 60's.

You are voicing opinions about something you know NOTHING about. You were not even born at the time. You can comment on what you think is more interesting NOW, but you are clueless about how these things were received in 1984.

These are not necessarily my opinions, but things I have observed from the memories of both people online and people in real life. For the majority of people I know and/or have talked to about the Olympics the spaceship is the one thing they remember from the LA games in general.

Also Disneyland had a rocket-man in 1964. The 1982 Worlds Fair also had one. LA's idea was not unique or original, it was an act that had been done numerous times before.

Disney history is one area that I am particularly strong in, I have been a Disney fan since I was able to comprehend what Disney was.

Thanks to the internet I can know how these things were received in 1984, from being able to read thousands of articles from the time of the games I can gauge an accurate idea of how the ceremonies were perceived.

These are not necessarily my opinions, but things I have observed from the memories of both people online and people in real life. For the majority of people I know and/or have talked to about the Olympics the spaceship is the one thing they remember from the LA games in general...

I remember the '84 OC and CC pretty vividly (the fact that I taped them on VHS and watched them about a million times has reinforced those memories)... the spaceship might be remembered because it was an epically bad, embarrassing, and stupid thing. Lionel Richie singing "All Night Long" was actually more interesting. AT least there were break dancers,

While I agree with much of AF's post, here's a rocketman from Disneyland in the 60's

And a very different Rocketman from the 70's

The above links didn't work for me, but I found others. Obviously, I stand corrected -- to a degree. To me, the 84 flight was longer, higher and much more spectacular. But that's my opinion.

What is NOT opinion is the fact that the rocket man was one of the most talked about moments -- if not THE most talked about moment from the 84 OC. Far more than those grand pianos, certainly. And the spaceship from the CC was not particularly impressive to those who saw it in person because it was very obvious how it was done.

This is one area where I strongly recommend trusting people who were actually ALIVE and PRESENT for the event rather than the opinions of those who were born long after it was over.

There is ONE OC moment that is mentioned in the Wikipedia article on LA 84. Rocket man. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Summer_Olympics

A British article citing the top five OC moments of all time includes ONE from LA. Rocket man. http://metro.co.uk/2011/07/27/top-five-olympic-opening-ceremony-moments-rocketman-muhammad-ali-93319/

The Rocket man is the first moment from LA mentioned on Ric Birch's site (admittedly alongside others). http://spectak.com/los_angeles.html

The Olympic Museum in Lausanne is currently staging an exhibition on LA 84. The review contains ONE photo of the entertainment from the OC. Rocket man. https://creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2014/september/la84-colorful-la-olympic-museum

That's just after a very quick and dirty search. No other moment from 84 made a stronger impact or is better remembered than the rocket man. Sure the pianos were cool and the spaceship from the CC was different, but it was the rocket man that wowed everybody at the time. I experienced it firsthand and there's plenty of documentation to back it up.

Bernham, you're a pompous, immature annoyance.

No other moment from 84 made a stronger impact or is better remembered than the rocket man.

And you could find a dozen other articles that doesn't mention rocket man first. Some don't even mention it at all. (Side note - that wikipeida article mentions several other OC events).

To state that one moment made the strongest impresseion and is best remembered is ridiculous. Millions of people watched, millions have memories. No single right answer.

Unlike our friend Bernham, I couldn't find many articles written in '84 about the ceremony. But below is one. Lots of good stuff:

http://www.csmonitor.com/1984/0730/073004.html

There is ONE OC moment that is mentioned in the Wikipedia article on LA 84. Rocket man. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Summer_Olympics

A British article citing the top five OC moments of all time includes ONE from LA. Rocket man. http://metro.co.uk/2011/07/27/top-five-olympic-opening-ceremony-moments-rocketman-muhammad-ali-93319/

The Rocket man is the first moment from LA mentioned on Ric Birch's site (admittedly alongside others). http://spectak.com/los_angeles.html

The Olympic Museum in Lausanne is currently staging an exhibition on LA 84. The review contains ONE photo of the entertainment from the OC. Rocket man. https://creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2014/september/la84-colorful-la-olympic-museum

That's just after a very quick and dirty search. No other moment from 84 made a stronger impact or is better remembered than the rocket man. Sure the pianos were cool and the spaceship from the CC was different, but it was the rocket man that wowed everybody at the time. I experienced it firsthand and there's plenty of documentation to back it up.

Bernham, you're a pompous, immature annoyance.

I can testify that many people have shared that the space ship was iconic, in part because the watched through TV. All of the segments from the ceremonies (any ceremony for that matter) look far better on television then in real life.

My argument is that while the rocket man might have been cool, it was not a unique or new concept. The ceremony being organized by Disney featured many past Disney tricks, this is especially seen with the rocket man.

Additionally, all of those articles are invalid (with the exception of the IOC one) because they are about the Opening Ceremonies. None of them are studies or opinions on the most iconic moments from the games. Event then I'm sure sports would triumph over our petty argument about the ceremonies.

Oh yes, my argument also claims the the Spaceship was very iconic for many people.

I can testify that many people have shared that the space ship was iconic, in part because the watched through TV. All of the segments from the ceremonies (any ceremony for that matter) look far better on television then in real life.

My argument is that while the rocket man might have been cool, it was not a unique or new concept. The ceremony being organized by Disney featured many past Disney tricks, this is especially seen with the rocket man.

Additionally, all of those articles are invalid (with the exception of the IOC one) because they are about the Opening Ceremonies. None of them are studies or opinions on the most iconic moments from the games. Event then I'm sure sports would triumph over our petty argument about the ceremonies.

Oh yes, my argument also claims the the Spaceship was very iconic for many people.

bernham.. let it go. You're arguing someone's first person accounts with your third person accounts. Watching something on YouTube is not the same as having experienced them in the time and place they occurred.

Says a Canadian.

Oh, please. Plently of athletes get busted from all over. Lance Armstrong???

Point is, I don't have respect for either Johnson or Lewis. I think they were both lying scumbags. If you watch the 30 for 30 documentary about Ben Johnson, Lewis esentially admits to having doped.

Nonsense. He does no such thing.

You're right. I jumped the gun on that one. But it is mentioned in the film that asked off camera by the director, member of the Santa Monica Track Club Andre Johnson esentially admits that he spiked Johnson's drink prior to the race. It calls into question Lewis' character and whether or not "dirty tactics" were in play. Lewis also comes off as so smug and arrogant in the documentary that it's hard to find him the slightest bit likeable.

AF just pooh-poohs the Space ship becuz it really was better and more cleverly done than the "giving-head" moment in Athens. :lol:

For 1 thing, you couldn't see the cables...and it had never been done before. Yeah, after a while, you knew it was hokey but still you asked yourself: how did they do that? Whereas in Athens -- and it was a stunner -- but you could see ALL the cables doing the trick. Also, ancient Romans had huge things coming out of their fluvial shows (page 76 in my book).

AF just pooh-poohs the Space ship becuz it really was better and more cleverly done than the "giving-head" moment in Athens. :lol:

For 1 thing, you couldn't see the cables...and it had never been done before. Yeah, after a while, you knew it was hokey but still you asked yourself: how did they do that? Whereas in Athens -- and it was a stunner -- but you could see ALL the cables doing the trick. Also, ancient Romans had huge things coming out of their fluvial shows (page 76 in my book).

Western Society is purely based off of ancient Rome and Greece.

Western Society is purely based off of ancient Rome and Greece.

Eh?

I think you're confused by the Greek philosophy of democracy. Aside from that 'western society' is an extremely broad church- drawing many more influences than "purely Rome or Greece", or whatever that means.

I'd argue that British and French traditions were far more influential over the roots of the US, for instance, than Ancient Greece.

Archived