USA 2024

The last thread was locked, use this new thread to discuss America's 2024 bids or future bids the USOC may make.

Currently the cities of Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, and Washington DC are bidding domestically to become the United States bid city during the 2024 Summer Games bid race. In addition to a large number of American Cities attempting to snatch the games the French and German national Olympic committees are in the process of creating their own bids.

At this point in time the IOC is facing heavy criticism by the international media and public, this has resulted in lack luster participation in the 2022 Winter Games bid race. It is unknown how the IOC will fully respond to this criticism, although based on recent comments by top ranking IOC officials the organization appears to be shrugging it all off.

Personally, I suspect that the USOC will select Los Angeles as their candidate city and that Paris or Berlin will launch bids. If this scenario does occur I feel that the US' chances of winning this cycle could be decreased and I suspect that either Paris or Berlin will host the games with LA being a close second. After this defeat I am positive that the US will bid again (depending on the 2024 results) and that they could be joined by Toronto.

So that's my rant...anyone else?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did the old thread get locked, anyway?

It became a Who Makes The Best Coffee and Doughnut debate? (Not mentioning an angry fillipino in there).

BACK ON TOPIC,

It looks like we are comming to the endgame in a candidate for a USA city fronting up in 2017 bid round. Los Angeles looks to be the outright front runner and we have seen three potential candidates, some not so formal, announce they are NOT going to bid to the USOC.

LA has the most well planned and thought out bid, and can trade on it's successful history at hosting the event. However a fresh face city in the form of Dallas, a popular city and old Boston, another likely vote grabber will make the US vote interesting.

Looking over the Atlantic suddenly Paris, a popular favorite at least with everyone here on GBF, is having doubts.

This is a true 'Watch this space' bid...an American city could be the last standing for 2024.

I thought Alex was on Barons ignore list?

Oh yes...But HE'S allowed to read and make comments on our threads as he arrogantly said so along with saying that we are not allowed to communicate with him...hypocrisy huh?

Anyway check him out on YouTube promoting his picture book. So you can have a good laugh.

Alex - this is bullying.

Criticising someone's conduct by attempting to shame them will only make you look small.

True and I'm easing off now...I got my point across. You give it, you take it.

@alex...Thanks for the free plug. I feel flattered that you took the time to do more research on me. I tried to return the favor...but I came up...ZILCH!!

At least you know I have a head, 2 eyes, etc., I wonder if you look like the Minotaur? On 2nd thought, never mind...

Re the IGNORE, as I posted -- if you can read...or maybe you need visuals to help -- I reserve the right to break my IGNORE rule if I want to. Unlike you, I am hurting no one by doing so.

Now, let's see what you have done for yourself or for society in the last day or two? <_< Uhmmm...dammit, I've come up empty-handed again!!

I trust you feel mighty Kiwi proud with yourself... Sleep well, my friend..

Back you go to IGNORE. :)

Wow. It's good to have a bit of a break, as I'm now the audience, not the contributor to the argument.

Anyway, I can still see Los Angeles being America's Candidate. After 1984, they could Renovate/Build alot of Venues and Host a brilliant Olympics.

Wow. It's good to have a bit of a break, as I'm now the audience, not the contributor to the argument.

Anyway, I can still see Los Angeles being America's Candidate. After 1984, they could Renovate/Build alot of Venues and Host a brilliant Olympics.

See how worthwhile a break is Tony? I think this is a good step for you and I'm sure it'll lead to more productive posts when the ban is lifted!

It certainly seems like the most likely outcome at this point. I don't think they'll win the USOC's approval without a fight from at least another city or 2, but the odds of a Los Angeles 2024 bid seems pretty strong.

Let's not get ahed of ourselves. Right now, LA has a plan. There's a long way to go.

Plans are easy. How many plans has LA had to build/renovate a new stadium and attract an NFL team. How many of those plans have been executed on?

Big questions:

Who is going to pay for all this?

Will the State of California offer financial backing / guarantees?

will the Federal Government step and and block plans?

Farmer's Field is a key component... what happens if those plans continue to stagnate? What's causing them to stagnate? Will the same things block 2024 plans?

Oh yes...But HE'S allowed to read and make comments on our threads as he arrogantly said so along with saying that we are not allowed to communicate with him...hypocrisy huh?

Anyway check him out on YouTube promoting his picture book. So you can have a good laugh.

I remember when I first saw that video. It's incredibly clarifying, isn't it? Not that we really needed any additional evidence to know what we were dealing with....

Let's not get ahed of ourselves. Right now, LA has a plan. There's a long way to go.

Plans are easy. How many plans has LA had to build/renovate a new stadium and attract an NFL team. How many of those plans have been executed on?

Big questions:

Who is going to pay for all this?

Will the State of California offer financial backing / guarantees?

will the Federal Government step and and block plans?

Farmer's Field is a key component... what happens if those plans continue to stagnate? What's causing them to stagnate? Will the same things block 2024 plans?

The Games would have to be funded privately. The state of California is in a dicey financial position. The Federal government will not block plans -- they have no reason to (what a weird notion).

Hosting the Games would act as a catalyst for bringing the completion of these projects about -- that's a primary reason to move forward. Even if Farmer's Field didn't materialize, I don't see that as a big problem. It's really more than would be needed for the job anyway. There will backup options.

I remember when I first saw that video. It's incredibly clarifying, isn't it? Not that we really needed any additional evidence to know what we were dealing with....

Oh, was it clear enough for you?

Too bad I didn't know of your outfit so I could've consulted...but which I still don't know at this time. Thanks for your continued support and encouragement... :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, the updated 2014 edition (with updates on Sochi) will still come out with or w/o your support, by mid-June, Mr. Athens-whatever-your-name-is...

Hosting the Games would act as a catalyst for bringing the completion of these projects about -- that's a primary reason to move forward. Even if Farmer's Field didn't materialize, I don't see that as a big problem. It's really more than would be needed for the job anyway. There will backup options.

Here's another way to look at this one.. what if Farmers Field does materialize. That's over a billion dollars being spent on a sports facility to lure an NFL team to town, one that would likely be there for decades to come. So how does that investment look compared to the investment required of an Olympics? Would Los Angeles want to do both? If there wasn't enough interest in pursuing both, which of the 2 gets prioritized? We all look at Los Angeles as the U.S. city that will always be interested in the Olympics. That may still be true, but they may find themselves with other projects that either supersede or or push an Olympic bid to the back burner. There's a bigger picture involved here. Yes, there's a plan out there that makes sense in the form of an Olympic bid. Does that make the most sense for Los Angeles though? That's not such a simple question to answer.

Oh, was it clear enough for you?

Too bad I didn't know of your outfit so I could've consulted...but which I still don't know at this time. Thanks for your continued support and encouragement... :rolleyes:

Nonetheless, the updated 2014 edition (with updates on Sochi) will still come out with or w/o your support, by mid-June, Mr. Athens-whatever-your-name-is...

Dang. I thought he had me on ignore!

Here's another way to look at this one.. what if Farmers Field does materialize. That's over a billion dollars being spent on a sports facility to lure an NFL team to town, one that would likely be there for decades to come. So how does that investment look compared to the investment required of an Olympics? Would Los Angeles want to do both? If there wasn't enough interest in pursuing both, which of the 2 gets prioritized? We all look at Los Angeles as the U.S. city that will always be interested in the Olympics. That may still be true, but they may find themselves with other projects that either supersede or or push an Olympic bid to the back burner. There's a bigger picture involved here. Yes, there's a plan out there that makes sense in the form of an Olympic bid. Does that make the most sense for Los Angeles though? That's not such a simple question to answer.

All that is very hypothetical though. Quite a lot of maybes. As of now the mayor, city council, business and sports leaders are all enthusiastically on board. Quite a lot would have to shift in order for that to change.

I do agree that we should not assume LA will be a perennial candidate. I don't see the support waning for 2024, but it could for 28/32.

Archived