U.S. Cities Capable of Bidding for an Olympics (Over the Next 30 Years)

Soaring

After mentioning it in another thread, and for the sake of keeping it on topic, I'll post this here.

What about a second Atlanta Olympics?

If no other American city with enough muscle is able to bring to the table what is required - then of all the second tier cities, perhaps Atlanta could be an option? The city has a flexible venue arrangement, knows what to do, and not what to do from 1996, plus if you had to get the IOC to choose between Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, or Minneapolis for 2024 - surely Atlanta would be a wise choice? Plus, it could gain some sentimental vote - it is known internationally as an Olympic city, perhaps defined by its Olympic experience more than any other recent host.

Can't see it happening. 1 of the main factors holding back other U.S. Olympics (meaning the lack of a main stadium) still hampers Atlanta. So they can't play the Salt Lake card where they have a lot of their infrastructure in place. There have been murmurs of the Falcons want to move out of the Georgia Dome and into a new outdoor stadium, so that might be something to note. But even still, it hasn't been 20 years since Atlanta. Way too soon. And if the United States doesn't have anything better to offer, I don't see Atlanta being the type of fallback option that could pull off a win.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How was Atlanta a mistake though, aside from being a spanner in the works for continental rotation? Durban wasn't ready. Paris didn't even bid for 1996 (if it did, it might have won against Atlanta - if any other city is worthy of the Centennial Olympics other than Athens it would be Pierre de Courbertin's Paris, is it not?), and Toronto, as I've said before, was just as controversially timed for 1996 as Atlanta was, on the heels of Montreal and Calgary.

No option for 1996 would have been a crowd pleaser.

Let me make it clear, I don't like the idea of a second Atlanta Olympics, I just think its not as out of the question as we'd hope it to be.

How was Atlanta a mistake though, aside from being a spanner in the works for continental rotation? Durban wasn't ready. Paris didn't even bid for 1996 (if it did, it might have won against Atlanta - if any other city is worthy of the Centennial Olympics other than Athens it would be Pierre de Courbertin's Paris, is it not?), and Toronto, as I've said before, was just as controversially timed for 1996 as Atlanta was, on the heels of Montreal and Calgary.

No option for 1996 would have been a crowd pleaser.

Let me make it clear, I don't like the idea of a second Atlanta Olympics, I just think its not as out of the question as we'd hope it to be.

I meant for the potential candidates for 2024 Atlanta against the likes of those three wouldn't win imo

hmmmm

Isn't that what people said in 96 about Atlanta? Atlanta had the vision and fought and won it all, the stars can line up again and wouldn't that be "hilarious". Rather see Chicago, LA, Las Vegas first though.

Yes I said it VEGAS.

p.s. Located in THE GREAT STATE of Nevada.

If NYC bid, where would they put their Olympic Stadium? I assume it would be temporary as NY will have no need for a permanent stadium of that size.

Due to the fact that the area of the location of the Olympic Stadium from 2012 is developed, that is out as well a the West Side Yards.

Would it be possible to have their stadium in the Meadowlands or does it have to be in NYC?

If it has to be in NYC, then the only place I can think of is a temporary stadium in a park (i.e, Bronx or Queens) or on some old railyards (sunnyside) or industrial brownfields areas in Queens or Bronx (Hunts Point)?. Looks pretty difficult to fit a temporary stadium into NYC and that might doom a bid at all.

If NYC bid, where would they put their Olympic Stadium? I assume it would be temporary as NY will have no need for a permanent stadium of that size.

Due to the fact that the area of the location of the Olympic Stadium from 2012 is developed, that is out as well a the West Side Yards.

Would it be possible to have their stadium in the Meadowlands or does it have to be in NYC?

If it has to be in NYC, then the only place I can think of is a temporary stadium in a park (i.e, Bronx or Queens) or on some old railyards (sunnyside) or industrial brownfields areas in Queens or Bronx (Hunts Point)?. Looks pretty difficult to fit a temporary stadium into NYC and that might doom a bid at all.

Flushing Meadows. Talks are in the works for an MLS stadium, an olympic stadium has a chance of coming up.

Potato beat me to it, but yes, Flushing Meadows seems like the best option at this one. West Side Yards hasn't really been developed yet and they do have the extension of the 7 train there, but without the Jets as a likely tenant, that project won't get off the ground. Meadowlands probably isn't much of an option either since it's not in NYC.

Are you talking about the flushing meadows park or the area around Citi Field?

If it is the park, there may be an MLS stadium going up there that might not be able to be modified for an Olymmpics.

If you are talking about the area around the stadium, they are talking about building a mall on the parking lots.

Where do you think it would go?

Probably mentioned before but Philadelphia could build a stadium and then downsize it afterwards for the Temple Owls NCAA team.

They currently pay the Eagles for the privilege of using the large Lincoln Financial Field, and it is quite possible they would look at a post games Olympic stadium reduced in capacity to reflect their average gate but where they'd be No1

Probably mentioned before but Philadelphia could build a stadium and then downsize it afterwards for the Temple Owls NCAA team.

They currently pay the Eagles for the privilege of using the large Lincoln Financial Field, and it is quite possible they would look at a post games Olympic stadium reduced in capacity to reflect their average gate but where they'd be No1

It has been brought up before and it's not a great plan. Temple isn't going to want an off-campus stadium (there's no room for them to build a full-scaled sized stadium on campus where Temple is located) that they have to maintain and keep up just to have their name on it. They'd probably rather play at the Linc for the few times a year they'd actually need the stadium than have to deal with a building no one else is using.

Some interesting ideas for a temporary NYC Olympic Stadium Site from Doktoroff. on Sunnyside rail yards..

Go to time 14:11 of this video.

IMO, if Flushing meadows is too built out with the proposed MLS stadium, this may be the better option. The site will be redeveloped someday, it is too valuable a vacant piece of property in the middle of the city.

This redevelopent of an used rail yard would be a large legacy that I'm sure IOC would look favorably on. Didn't London build on a rail yard or something like that?

NYC lost because its bid committee didn't do a good enough job of drumming home confidence in the IOC. It was a weak bid from a strong city. Paris and London were easily more deserving - especially given the 2012 vote came under a decade since Atlanta and Salt Lake. 2012 was too soon for the US, and to a lesser extent 2016 was too. IMO, 2024 is starting to get out of the woods and into the realm of the reasonable.

NYC lost because its bid committee didn't do a good enough job of drumming home confidence in the IOC. It was a weak bid from a strong city. Paris and London were easily more deserving - especially given the 2012 vote came under a decade since Atlanta and Salt Lake. 2012 was too soon for the US, and to a lesser extent 2016 was too. IMO, 2024 is starting to get out of the woods and into the realm of the reasonable.

NYC lost because the had no public support. When a city has recently been attacked, the country was at war, and the bid was going to cost billions of dollars, I don't blame them. Once the West Side Stadium idea fell apart, the city lost the chance of hosting, but that's just how I see it.

Totally agree.

Some interesting ideas for a temporary NYC Olympic Stadium Site from Doktoroff. on Sunnyside rail yards..

Go to time 14:11 of this video.

IMO, if Flushing meadows is too built out with the proposed MLS stadium, this may be the better option. The site will be redeveloped someday, it is too valuable a vacant piece of property in the middle of the city.

This redevelopent of an used rail yard would be a large legacy that I'm sure IOC would look favorably on. Didn't London build on a rail yard or something like that?

Cool video with some interesting ideas.

London wasn't railway land as much as a mixed long time underused industrial area.

Archived