U.S. Cities Capable of Bidding for an Olympics (Over the Next 30 Years)

Soaring

U.S. Cities Capable of Bidding for an Olympics

(Over the Next Few Decades)

We all have argued back and forth about different American cities' capability, timing and public/political support for bidding or hosting a Summer Olympics.

Since I like data and maps, I mapped out all U.S. cities with a team in one of the three major American sports (NFL, MLB, NBA), and then ranked them by their chances of presenting a credible bid to the USOC over the next few decades.

Too often on these boards, we get people who say "so and so city" has a chance at bidding. Based on my opinion, I put 40 metro areas into six categories.

The first category is "Strong Possibility" of putting together a successful bid

the next is "Good Possibility", and then "It's Possible", "Unlikely", "Very Unlikely", and finally "No Chance"

Let me know if you agree or disagree with my listings.

usoc-bid-city-index3.jpg

Here are the cities/metros listed in each category. I considered suburbs that have stadiums like Arlington/Dallas, Foxboro/Boston, and places like East Rutherford, NJ to be part of the closest major city. If I were the USOC, I would only consider cities in red and orange for 2024, 2028 or 2032. I would not even entertain the idea of the others as credible bids, but they may be more capable at the later end of two decades to be able to, but mostly they would be hurt by their lack of international recognition. Oh, and threw Las Vegas into the mix just for fun. Forget Tulsa, it is not even worth including them.

Good Possibility

Chicago (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 9.5 million

Los Angeles (MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 13 million

New York City (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 19 million

San Francisco (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 4.4 million

It's Possible

Dallas (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 6.5 million

Miami (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 5.7 million

Philadelphia (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 6 million

Washington D.C. (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 5.7 million

Unlikely

Atlanta (NFL, MLB, NBA) Metro Population - 5.4 million

Boston (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 4.6 million

Denver (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 2.6 million

Houston (NFL, MLB, NBA) Metro Population - 6 million

Minneapolis (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 3.3 million

San Diego (NFL, MLB) Metro Population - 3.4 million

Seattle (NFL, MLB) Metro Population - 3.5 million

Very Unlikely

Baltimore (NFL, MLB) Metro Population - 2.7 million

Cincinnati (NFL, MLB) Metro Population - 2.1 million

Cleveland (NFL, MLB, NBA) Metro Population - 2.1 million

Detroit (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) Metro Population - 4.3 million

Indianapolis (NFL, NBA) Metro Population - 1.8 million

Kansas City (NFL, MLB, NHL) Metro Population - 2.1 million

Las Vegas Metro Population - 2 million

Phoenix (NFL, MLB, NHL) Metro Population - 4.3 million

Pittsburg (NFL, MLB, NHL) Metro Population - 2.4 million

St. Louis (NFL, MLB, NHL) Metro Population - 2.8 million

Tampa Bay (NFL, MLB, NHL) Metro Population - 2.8 million

No Chance

Buffalo (NFL, NHL) Metro Population - 1.1 million

Charlotte (NFL, NBA) Metro Population - 1.8 million

Green Bay (NFL) Metro Population - 400,000

Jacksonville (NFL) Metro Population - 1.4 million

Memphis (NBA) Metro Population - 1.3 million

Milwaukee (MLB, NBA) Metro Population - 1.6 million

Nashville (NFL, NHL) Metro Population - 1.6 million

New Orleans (NFL, NBA) Metro Population - 1.2 million

Oklahoma City (NBA) Metro Population - 2.8 million

Orlando (NBA) Metro Population - 1.3 million

Portland (NBA) Metro Population - 2.3 million

Salt Lake City (NBA) Metro Population - 1.1 million

Sacramento (NBA) Metro Population - 2.2 million

San Antonio (NBA) Metro Population - 2.2 million

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soaring, prepare from severe criticism as apparently those you have listed as 'it's possible' have absolutely no chance as well as those you've considered to be a 'good possibility'

Were you not aware that you were not entitled to an opinion which differs to that held by the 'gods of the Gamesbids' forum?

Soaring, prepare from severe criticism as apparently those you have listed as 'it's possible' have absolutely no chance as well as those you've considered to be a 'good possibility'

Were you not aware that you were not entitled to an opinion which differs to that held by the 'gods of the Gamesbids' forum?

You are entitled to your own opinion. And as you can see, Soaring isn't advertising any city that should bid, he's categorizing them by there chances of winning and bidding. He's not like certain people who will advertise a city and not even back it up.

You are entitled to your own opinion. And as you can see, Soaring isn't advertising any city that should bid, he's categorizing them by there chances of winning and bidding. He's not like certain people who will advertise a city and not even back it up.

Talking to yourself is one of the signs of madness. Have you checked for hair on the palms of your hand? Why are you replying to someone who has blocked you?

I only listed cities/metros with one major sports team, and this listing reflects the notion of "possibility" over the next few decades.

Also, another important note: This list does not mean I think the ones categorized will be "successful" host cities, it just reflects the possibility of winning a domestic bid with the USOC.

But can you realistically see the USOC selecting any city that doesn't have a strong chance of being chosen by the IOC? I can't.

Actually yes. The current crop of USOC leadership seems to be more in tune with the IOC, but who knows what powers at be will be there in the next 20-30 years, and I don't believe all of the cities in the first three categories are on the same level, or even cities within that, but I won't go as far to say that that it could not happen.

Archived