U.S. Cities Capable of Bidding for an Olympics (Over the Next 30 Years)

Soaring

Might it be possible for the following to happen:

12 members of the forum select one of Soarings' ideas and create a short bid proposal - I was thinking the 8 top cities added to Boston, Minneapolis, Seattle, and Houston, and to do a little research covering such areas as:

• Current venues and possible future venues - pro or college supports
  • Infrastructure in the area including any problems and how they might be addressed
  • The local economy and potential ways to fund any games
  • Political/public opinion i.e. any previous expressions of support or suggestions of bidding.
  • The X Factor - what positive attributes could the bid city offer especially as the IOC regard it as a faux pas to criticise other contenders

Any takers for

1. Chicago
  2. NY
  3. LA
  4. San Francisco/Bay Area
  5. Philadelphia
  6. Washington/Baltimore
  7. Dallas
  8. Miami
  9. Boston
  10. Seattle
  11. Houston
  12. Minneapolis

??

ill do research to my home, Boston! can i include pics? not too many tho

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boston :

boston-olympics-2020.jpg

*Gillette Stadium (foxboro, 30mins from Boston downtown) - 69,000

The following Venues are located in the heart of the city, mostly owned by Univeristies and used for multi purposes:

42974263.jpg

* TD Garden - Basketball - 19,000

*Harvard Stadium - 57,000 Max capacity

*Alumni Boston College - 44,500

*Fenway Park - 37,000

*Agganis Arena Boston U. - 7,000

*Nickerson Field - 10,000

*Bright Hockey Center - 2,800

*Conte Forum - 8,500

*Brookline Country Club - 7,000 yards length

*George Wright Golf Course - 6,440 yards length

*Matthews Arena Northeastern U - 6,000

*Suffolk Down - Horse Racing

*Tennis and Racquet Club - (?)

*Boston Opera House - 2,600

*Boston Convention and Exhibiton Center - 2.7 acres

*Kresge Auditorium M.I.T - 1,200

*Berklee Performance Center - 1,200

*Boston Symphony Hall - 2,300

Boston is located on the coast, main water locations :

Boston2.jpg

*Boston Harbor

*Charles River

*Cape Cod - 1 hr drive distance

Boston is a very compact city.

Traffic can be a problem.

Hotel capacity is decent, dont have numbers sry

Logan international airport served 28.8 million passangers in 2011

250,000 students attends Boston and Cambridge alone during school season , and abudancy in dorms, approximately 52,700 rooms.

Boston metropolitan area has th sixth largest economy in the country and 12th largest in the world.

The largest city in New England, Boston is regarded as the unofficial "Capital of New England" for its economic and cultural impact on the entire New England region.

Average summer temperature is 80F.

beautiful-boston-common.jpg

Boston is very rich in culture and History, tons of major museums and studios. now that needs a deeper research.

So this is it, it might be a little messy but its the best i can do.

Boston is great! The city has a lot to offer and the Olympics can offer a lot when it comes to boosting development and housing in the city. Having said that, well, we haven't heard anything from the local government in MA.

If Boston won't happen then Philadelphia is my other hope! Philly is a wonderful town and they have many facilities there as well.

I kinda gave up hope regarding Chicago. I don't think the city is interested unfortunately.

Re Boston:

1. What is the no. of hotel rooms in the metro area?

2. I don't think Harvard will give up all of its dorm rooms for a summer. They have projects going on every time for a lot of grad/doctoral students that require a significant # of dorm rooms, and those projects are of far greater importance than any 2-week sports festival, even if they are the Olympics. So all the necessary dorm rooms, if loaned out as the OV, will NOT be in one campus. They may have to be split between, say: Harvard & Boston Univ. I think this is one of the reasons that a Boston bid has never progressed past the dreaming-talking stage.

Ultimately, Boston is just too small for an Olympics. They need the size of a Beijing, a Sydney, a London, a Moscow, a Paris. Size and stature-wise, Boston is not in that league.

Boston :

boston-olympics-2020.jpg

*Gillette Stadium (foxboro, 30mins from Boston downtown) - 69,000

The following Venues are located in the heart of the city, mostly owned by Univeristies and used for multi purposes:

42974263.jpg

* TD Garden - Basketball - 19,000

*Harvard Stadium - 57,000 Max capacity

*Alumni Boston College - 44,500

*Fenway Park - 37,000

*Agganis Arena Boston U. - 7,000

*Nickerson Field - 10,000

*Bright Hockey Center - 2,800

*Conte Forum - 8,500

*Brookline Country Club - 7,000 yards length

*George Wright Golf Course - 6,440 yards length

*Matthews Arena Northeastern U - 6,000

*Suffolk Down - Horse Racing

*Tennis and Racquet Club - (?)

*Boston Opera House - 2,600

*Boston Convention and Exhibiton Center - 2.7 acres

*Kresge Auditorium M.I.T - 1,200

*Berklee Performance Center - 1,200

*Boston Symphony Hall - 2,300

Boston is located on the coast, main water locations :

Boston2.jpg

*Boston Harbor

*Charles River

*Cape Cod - 1 hr drive distance

Boston is a very compact city.

Traffic can be a problem.

Hotel capacity is decent, dont have numbers sry

Logan international airport served 28.8 million passangers in 2011

250,000 students attends Boston and Cambridge alone during school season , and abudancy in dorms, approximately 52,700 rooms.

Boston metropolitan area has th sixth largest economy in the country and 12th largest in the world.

The largest city in New England, Boston is regarded as the unofficial "Capital of New England" for its economic and cultural impact on the entire New England region.

Average summer temperature is 80F.

beautiful-boston-common.jpg

Boston is very rich in culture and History, tons of major museums and studios. now that needs a deeper research.

So this is it, it might be a little messy but its the best i can do.

You listed venues, but not where the sports would be played. I should've done a better job clarifying, my apologizes.

Ultimately, Boston is just too small for an Olympics. They need the size of a Beijing, a Sydney, a London, a Moscow, a Paris. Size and stature-wise, Boston is not in that league.

Actually, Boston is pretty large. The problem is that it's too cramped. Where would they put new venues? An Olympic stadium? Anything?

Boston is a very nice city, one of the nicest the US. But I don't believe it could host the olympics in 2024. At the moment there are not enough stadiums IN the city. There are a bunch of venues in the surrounding area 1-2 hours away, but the games would be called the Boston olympics, not the Boston area olympics. And it's been mentioned before, there is no room in Boston for so many venues. And I don't see what they would be used for after the games. We wouldn't want the venues to become abandon like Athens.

Boston is a very nice city, one of the nicest the US. But I don't believe it could host the olympics in 2024. At the moment there are not enough stadiums IN the city. There are a bunch of venues in the surrounding area 1-2 hours away, but the games would be called the Boston olympics, not the Boston area olympics. And it's been mentioned before, there is no room in Boston for so many venues. And I don't see what they would be used for after the games. We wouldn't want the venues to become abandon like Athens.

Exactly. Boston is fine the way it is -- maybe host a Democratic convention every now and then. But it doesn't need an Olympics to prove itself. It is fine as the Athens of North America, intellectually that is.

Then maybe they shouldn't take on such a gargantuan, vainglorious undertaking. There is such a thing as over-reaching when one doesn't have to. Let the bigger fools do it.

There really is something to this. The Olympics are far less necessary than some of us on these boards like to think.

And I don't see what they would be used for after the games. We wouldn't want the venues to become abandon like Athens.

This should be the first question on the table in all U.S. cities that want to host the Olympics. Are you willing to build stuff that won't be used and set there to rot?

If Boston will end up trying to bid, I hope the whole process will be some big collaboration among all universities in the area where they agree on building athletic facilities they need for the future use of their students and that includes the Olympic Village = future dorm for one of the colleges there.

If the result will be building useless facilities then they should forget about it! It's so stupid to waste money on something you use once unless it's toilet paper!

This should be the first question on the table in all U.S. cities that want to host the Olympics. Are you willing to build stuff that won't be used and set there to rot?

No American city will spend money on useless venues only to see them "rot." There must be a comprehensive legacy plan, plain and simple.

That's really the thing about the Olympics. It is a BIG 2-week extravaganza that comes with a very heavy price. For some cities that really need fixing, and if they have the funds for the initial investment, fine. But for cities NOT really needing them, buyer beware. And with the rash of recent Olympics so well documented and the books pretty much open, you should go into this with your eyes totally wide open.

Another axiom to remember is: be careful of what you wish for.

That's really the thing about the Olympics. It is a BIG 2-week extravaganza that comes with a very heavy price. For some cities that really need fixing, and if they have the funds for the initial investment, fine. But for cities NOT really needing them, buyer beware. And with the rash of recent Olympics so well documented and the books pretty much open, you should go into this with your eyes totally wide open.

Another axiom to remember is: be careful of what you wish for.

And unfortunately that's why I don't believe Boston could hold the games anytime soon.

Possible NYC2024 Olympic venues

Manhattan:

Boxing: Radio City Music Hall- Cap. 5,000 (existing)

Basketball: Madison Square Garden- Cap. 19,000 (existing)

Field Hockey: Lawrence A. Wien Stadium- Cap. 17,000 (existing)

Fencing, Judo, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, Wrestling: Jacob Javits Center-Cap.3,000 (existing)

Beach Volleyball: Rockefeller Center (existing)

Archery: Central Park (existing)

Olympic Village (new)

Bronx:

Equestrian: Cap. 7,000 (new)

Golf: Van Courtland Park

Badminton: Rose Hill Gymnasium- Cap. 3,500 (existing)

Baseball: Yankee Stadium- Cap. 50,000 (existing)

Queens:

Athletics/Ceremonies: Olympic Stadium- Cap.80,000 (new)

Tennis: National Tennis Center-Main Stadium Cap. 23,000 (existing)

Aquatics: Corona Park Aquatics Center Cap.10,000 (renovation)

Waterpolo: New York State Pavilion- Cap. 5,000 (new)

Sailing: Breezy Point

Canoeing: Meadow Lake

Staten Island:

Softball: Richmond County Bank Ballpark- Cap. 7,000 (existing)

Modern Pentathlon: 5,000

Brooklyn:

Gymnastics: Barclays Center- Cap. 15,000 (existing)

Cycling: Brooklyn Veledrome-3,000 (new)

BMX: MCU Park- Cap. 7,000 (renovation)

New Jersey:

Indoor Volleyball: Prudential Center- Cap. 17,000 (existing)

Rugby: Red Bull Arena- Cap. 25,000 (existing)

Soccer/Football: Metlife Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, FedEx Field, Gillette Stadium

hmm looks familiar

19 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Here are some of my ideas as a local

Manhattan

Times Square - Beach Volleyball

Central Park - Triathlon

Madison Square Garden - Gymnastics, Boxing Medal Rounds

Javits Convention Center - Judo, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, Wrestling, Table Tennis

Roseland Ballroom - Boxing

Baker Athletics Complex - Field Hockey

Hammerstein Ballroom - Badminton

Fort Washington Armory - Water Polo

NYC Marathon Route with Alteration to the Start and End locations

Queens

Flushing Meadows Park Olympic Stadium (Former Fountain of Industry Site repurposed for later use as MLS Arena)

USTA - Tennis

Meadows Lake - Flatwater Races

New York State Pavilion - Archery

Iron Triangle across from CitiField - Athlete's Village

Site of Terrace on the Park - Aquatics

Breezy Point - Sailing

Brooklyn

Barclay's Center - Basketball

Coney Island - BMX

MCU Park - Softball (if it returns)

Park Slope Armory - Fencing

Road Cycling

Bronx

Yankee Stadium - Baseball (if it returns)

Van Courtland Park - Golf

Former Jerome Reservoir - Velodrome, Whitewater Course

Pelham Bay Park - Shooting

Staten Island

Modern Pentathlon

Equestrian

Mountain Biking

New Jersey

Prudential Center - VolleyBall

Izod Center - Handball

Red Bull Arena - Rugby 7's

Football Venues

MetLife Stadium - 82,566

Citifield - 41,922 (baseball configuration Football unknown but possibly greater with temp stands)

Lincoln Financial Field - 68,532

Rutgers Stadium - 52,454

Yale Bowl - 64,246

hmm looks familiar

Manhattan

:lol: That's even nuttier than the Rockefeller Ice Rink suggestion.

#1 - a Beach volleyball venue requires at least 3 courts. (There are 2 on the side where prelims are conducted & which serve as warm-up courts as well.

#2 - Do you really think the Theatre district will have their Square preempted for that for like 5 weeks in 2 years (remember there is a test event the year before)? :rolleyes:

#3 - Where will Broadway & 7th Avenue traffic be rerouted for those 5 weeks?

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.

They have already turned the western half of times square into a full pedestrian plaza. Cars have been heavily restricted from the Square for a few years now and they actually hold events in the square regularly including some of the 2012 US Trials. It is no longer an intersection of Broadway and Seventh for cars. Vehicle traffic is no longer available between 47th and 42nd streets essentially exteneding the sidewalks out all the way out to Seventh avenue.

And hey if not there how about Bryant park it works for Fashion week im sure it will be more than enough for BV

hmm looks familiar

Manhattan

Central Park - Triathlon

Madison Square Garden - Gymnastics, Boxing Medal Rounds

Javits Convention Center - Judo, Taekwondo, Weightlifting, Wrestling, Table Tennis

Roseland Ballroom - Boxing

Baker Athletics Complex - Field Hockey

Hammerstein Ballroom - Badminton

Fort Washington Armory - Water Polo

NYC Marathon Route with Alteration to the Start and End locations

Queens

Flushing Meadows Park Olympic Stadium (Former Fountain of Industry Site repurposed for later use as MLS Arena)

USTA - Tennis

Meadows Lake - Flatwater Races

New York State Pavilion - Archery

Iron Triangle across from CitiField - Athlete's Village

Site of Terrace on the Park - Aquatics

Breezy Point - Sailing

Brooklyn

Barclay's Center - Basketball

Coney Island - BMX

MCU Park - Softball (if it returns)

Park Slope Armory - Fencing

Road Cycling

Bronx

Yankee Stadium - Baseball (if it returns)

Van Courtland Park - Golf

Former Jerome Reservoir - Velodrome, Whitewater Course

Pelham Bay Park - Shooting

Staten Island

Modern Pentathlon

Equestrian

Mountain Biking

New Jersey

Prudential Center - VolleyBall

Izod Center - Handball

Red Bull Arena - Rugby 7's

Football Venues

MetLife Stadium - 82,566

Citifield - 41,922 (baseball configuration Football unknown but possibly greater with temp stands)

Lincoln Financial Field - 68,532

Rutgers Stadium - 52,454

Yale Bowl - 64,246

I stand by my list. I'm not saying your's is bad, but mine seems to be more financially friendly and quite frankly simpler. I don't see the reason to use public money to demolish functioning buildings and build brand new venues, when many sports venues have been proposed to be built on ruined land and abandoned buildings, plus some have to be privately funded.

Which of my venues do you find would require demolition? The only one that would replace an existing structure would be Terrace on the Park which would give the densely populated area a much needed accessible aquatic/community center that could be used by the many public schools and largely underserved hispanic and asian communities nearby.

Archived