USA 2024

Athensfan

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys can we just stop talking about NBC with marketing and all the Olympic promotions. this discussion is about United States 2024 and lets talk about potential cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia. shut up with NBC and television...if the Olympics are in the Americas...don't talk about it!!!!!!!!!!!

guys can we just stop talking about NBC with marketing and all the Olympic promotions. this discussion is about United States 2024 and lets talk about potential cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia. shut up with NBC and television...if the Olympics are in the Americas...don't talk about it!!!!!!!!!!!

NBC has a huge influence on the games whether they are in America or not. Just saying....

NBC has a huge influence on the games whether they are in America or not. Just saying....

we know that. they convinced Beijing organizers to move swimming finals in the mornings so American viewers can watch Michael Phelps and paid billions for US television rights....more than any other country. this discussion is about USA 2024, a potential national movement to bring the Olympics back to America. we'll talk about the TV rights later cuz NBC's contract ends after 2020 and primetime host Bob Costas will probably retire afterwards.

Why don't we shift to a different approach like discuss potential cities and maybe some ideal venue plans from locals who hail from these metropolitan areas?

It's not so much the NBC talk, but all that other nonsense that followed; like 'figure skating is on the downfall, while alpine skiing is on the rise', & lindsey vohn, & who's she dating, & so on & so forth, which none of that have absolutely nothing to do with a U.S. 2024 bid.

Dchang, it's just topic drift. There's no new information to discuss about a possible US bid. Once there is, the topic will be back on track. Particularly in a thread that's so long on a subject that is far in the future, I think tangents should be accepted.

You can post your ideas on potential hosts any time and I'm sure you will get responses. It's usually more productive to do that than to complain about topic drift.

Seriously, dude? You're gonna come in here and tell the rest of us to shut up? You're going to tell us what the discussion is about? Do you realize how petty and disrespectful that sounds from a newbie like you? Clearly you don't hang out here that much.

Like Athens said, topic drift is common here. Look at how easily an NBC discussion popped up. If you want to talk about something else, just start talking about it. It's not like this thread is filled with day-to-day news. But don't come in here all indignant and tell the rest of us what we're not supposed to talk about.

The Golden State Warriors have unveiled plans for a new arena in downtown San Francisco. The renderings include a large glass plane through which one can see the bay from inside. A new state of the art downtown arena would be a huge boost for any prospective San Francisco bid. Now if they could only get the stadium issue sorted out.

• 1 month later...
USOC keeps interested eye on 2020 Olympic race
BY EDDIE PELLS; AP NATIONAL WRITER
Published: June 11, 2013 at 12:58 p.m. PDT — Updated: June 11, 2013 at 12:58 p.m. PDT
U.S. Olympic Committee leaders are playing the role of interested observers in the bidding process for the 2020 Games, hoping they can learn something from Istanbul, Madrid and Tokyo as they try to land the Olympics.
The USOC board met Tuesday and received an update from a committee formed to decide whether the United States should try for the 2024 Games.
CEO Scott Blackmun said the USOC is in discussions with about 10 potential bid cities, hoping to narrow the list to two or three by December. The USOC has until late 2014 to decide whether to bid for 2024.
Meantime, USOC chairman Larry Probst said U.S. Olympic leaders are paying attention to the presentations the 2020 bidders are giving this summer, as they prepare for the vote in September.

So the USOC never really gave a complete list of those "10 cities". But based on other news reports, we could definitely say that Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas & San Diego are among the ten. And silly Tulsa is probably one of them, too, just so the USOC isn't accused of not listening to them.

But which are the other four? Could they just be other cities that would be involved in one of the other bid cities plans, i.e. Ft Worth, Long Beach, etc? Is San Francisco serious? Haven't heard too much from them lately. And they still would have a stadium issue since the 49'ners are building one in Santa Clara instead.

So the USOC never really gave a complete list of those "10 cities". But based on other news reports, we could definitely say that Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas & San Diego are among the ten. And silly Tulsa is probably one of them, too, just so the USOC isn't accused of not listening to them.

But which are the other four? Could they just be other cities that would be involved in one of the other bid cities plans, i.e. Ft Worth, Long Beach, etc? Is San Francisco serious? Haven't heard too much from them lately. And they still would have a stadium issue since the 49'ners are building one in Santa Clara instead.

I don't think anyone on these boards can answer your question.

I've tried previously, but you know how that went.

I doubt it's the outlying cities. I would have to assume the 10 comes from the original list of 35 the USOC contacted. Remember also, where it says "the USOC is in discussions," that could include cities that haven't necessarily expressed interest but that the USOC is still hoping to engage with. Or "discussions" could be the USOC telling a city like Tulsa to piss off.

I don't think anyone on these boards can answer your question.

I've tried previously, but you know how that went.

I don't think anyone on these boards is expected to answer that question. Just talking out loud. And speculating as to who those cities might be.

San Francisco is serious. There mayor started forming a bid committee.

So Los Angeles, Boston, Dallas, Philadelphia, and San Francisco are almost definitely among the 10. Tulsa and San Diego are probably being told no chance, but are likely among the 10. That leaves 3. Where's the thread with the map of cities with their interest level noted?

If the US bids for 2024, even with Durban bidding, maybe the USOC playing a 2-shot strategy, telling the cities to be prepared to lose for 2024 in order to grab 2028? I wonder how many of the cities will bite though...and such a strategy does not sit well with the fickle US urban electorate who change (local) administrations as quickly as the wind changes. This strategy would only work in a city where the same admin/people in power would sit through the 2017 and 2021 rounds.

If the US bids for 2024, even with Durban bidding, maybe the USOC playing a 2-shot strategy, telling the cities to be prepared to lose for 2024 in order to grab 2028? I wonder how many of the cities will bite though...and such a strategy does not sit well with the fickle US urban electorate who change (local) administrations as quickly as the wind changes. This strategy would only work in a city where the same admin/people in power would sit through the 2017 and 2021 rounds.

I would imagine part of the dialouge between the USOC and the cities is along the lines of "if 2024 doesn't happen, will you come back for 2028?" That was probably never much of a consideration for NYC 2012 or Chicago 2016. Might affect who the USOC chooses to roll with here, especially if they're entering a 2024 race they're less than confident they've got a shot at.

Personally I think the USA needs to build up some momentum .... 2024 will be tough, but 2028 could be an open field, and any US city in this competition should be told that they will be submitted for both contests so they can address any issues raised by the IOC

London was an exemption as even the leading cities in the world need to expect that they are not an automatic shoo-in simply because they turn up, but may need to bid more than once

NYC 2024 or 2028, using a new area of Manhattan similar to Battery Park City, made possible via landfill etc.

If 2024 is far too early to achieve this (or too tight a schedule), then do the main proposals and just finish it for the 2028 bid. :)

Remember also, where it says "the USOC is in discussions," that could include cities that haven't necessarily expressed interest but that the USOC is still hoping to engage with.

If that's the case, then we'll have to assume that San Francisco & New York could be among them as well. And since Chicago already said a big, fat no, I can't imagine New York wasting too much time with this especially if they're not really interested. And no amount of the USOC "trolling for bids" most likely isn't going to change that.

That leaves 3. Where's the thread with the map of cities with their interest level noted?

Maybe Miami & Washington DC. I know some people over in those places discussed the idea when the USOC rolled out that letter. And it was in the Miami Herald not much later after that the city was looking into the idea of forming an Exploratory Committee. But also there, not much news since then either. And I think that thread had to he searched for now, cuz it's not in the first two pages of this particular forum.

From the IOC's perspective, however, this may be what is needed to win -- back to back bids from the same US city. The USOC must be totally transparent about this possibility with their anointed two or three. I agree that it could be a tough sell for the local electorate (look at Chicago). Basically the USOC would have to look for broad-based support that could weather the elections. I'm not sure if such a thing exists or not.

I still think there's a chance the US won't bid depending on what happens with South Africa's candidature. If the US bids in competition with SA, they'll be doing the IOC a huge favor by providing them with a solid backup and by giving the impression of a legitimate race even though the contest will most likely be over before it begins.

Might affect who the USOC chooses to roll with here, especially if they're entering a 2024 race they're less than confident they've got a shot at.

The latest newspiece states that the USOC is looking to weed out those ten to two or maybe three by December. So if this aspect could be part of their decision making, this could really trim up the field. Since of those that would be worthwhile to pursue a bid with, I could only see Los Angeles & maybe Dallas going for such a strategy. The remaining others, not so much.

The latest newspiece states that the USOC is looking to weed out those ten to two or maybe three by December. So if this aspect could be part of their decision making, this could really trim up the field. Since of those that would be worthwhile to pursue a bid with, I could only see Los Angeles & maybe Dallas going for such a strategy. The remaining others, not so much.

The USOC is proceeding to bid...but still leaving their option open to bail out should RSA formally declare. This also could be a dress rehearsal for 2028, i.e., have the 2024 finalists lined up but NOT entered, just parking their plans for 4 years, and return to bid in 2021/8.

The USOC is proceeding to bid...but still leaving their option open to bail out should RSA formally declare. This also could be a dress rehearsal for 2028, i.e., have the 2024 finalists lined up but NOT entered, just parking their plans for 4 years, and return to bid in 2021/8.

I've said it before and I still believe it's true.. I think that's exactly what's happening. The USOC is doing their due diligence to have a candidate lined up IF they decide to bid. And I'm guessing that's a part of the discussion here.. reminding this cities that even if you get tabbed as the nominee, there's no guarantee we'll put you forward. That could also lay credence to the idea that the USOC is also looking ahead towards 2028 so that less-than-interested cities like, say, a New York might be a part of the discussions even if they're not necessarily going to target 2024.

I get the sense that the USOC is very seriously considering 2024. Blackmun has said he believes Africa should host, he just hopes it doesn't happen in 2024. The US knows they can come back for 2028, but they've also learned that half-measures and Olympic bids don't mix. If you bid, you go all out to win. In the very back of your mind you know that maybe you can try again if things don't go your way. I don't think the USOC is going to bid solely to pave the way for 2028. They're tired of losing. They're serious and they want the big prize. I think the only reason they would sit out 2024 would be that they sincerely believed they couldn't win. With South Africa in the mix, that's a very real possibility.

I do agree that American bid cities should be willing to say, "We are so committed to the pursuit of the Games that we will try a second time if we don't win on the first attempt. That said, we're going to do everything in our power to win first time out."

Archived