2022 Winter Olympics

Handa

I think he's laughing more about Hiroshima N Denver than Annecy.

Hiroshima ain't gettin' no fricken Games. Their message is outdated N bland. Does not speak of what Hiroshima could do for the Olympics. The 'peace' thing wouldn't work. The IOC is more interested in the future than dwelling on the past. Which is what Hiroshima wants to propose.

N besides, Hiroshima doesn't even rank in the top 5 of Japanese cities. Japan's TENTH ranking city isn't going to cut it. That's like France going with Lyon or Marseille, or Germany going with Nurnberg or Hanover. Not gonna happen. The IOC would put a quick stop to it (like they did with Leipzig, Seville & Lille) if the JOC was stupid enough to go along with Hiroshima. It's Tokyo or bust.

And Annecy, well. They could have a chance, N I explained that earlier in thread. But if by slim chance they happen to pull off an upset, it'd be because much moreso to get a certain important city out if the way for 2020 and/or as a 'consolation prize' rather than being about 'Annecy having the most prestigious & important ski resort & in the heart of Europe & Alps market'.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's laughing more about Hiroshima N Denver than Annecy.

Hiroshima ain't gettin' no fricken Games. Their message is outdated N bland. Does not speak of what Hiroshima could do for the Olympics. The 'peace' thing wouldn't work. The IOC is more interested in the future than dwelling on the past. Which is what Hiroshima wants to propose.

N besides, Hiroshima doesn't even rank in the top 5 of Japanese cities. Japan's TENTH ranking city isn't going to cut it. That's like France going with Lyon or Marseille, or Germany going with Nurnberg or Hanover. Not gonna happen. The IOC would put a quick stop to it (like they did with Leipzig, Seville & Lille) if the JOC was stupid enough to go along with Hiroshima. It's Tokyo or bust.

And Annecy, well. They could have a chance, N I explained that earlier in thread. But if by slim chance they happen to pull off an upset, it'd be because much moreso to get a certain important city out if the way for 2020 and/or as a 'consolation prize' rather than being about 'Annecy having the most prestigious & important ski resort & in the heart of Europe & Alps market'.

I'm Agree for Hiroshima, but I would hope to see Bids with a different concept than a capital... Tokyo, Rome, Paris, Beijing, London... Enough! Hiroshime seem different but for the moment is very difficult to hope win with a "small" city. But for the Future why not Venise, Hiroshima, Marseille... ;)

Denver could be a strong bid ofr US, if they bid for 2022 even, nobody speak about for the moment...

Denver could be a strong bid ofr US, if they bid for 2022 even, nobody speak about for the moment...

We had a debate about Denver several months ago. The thread was about the possibilities of Denver, Anchorage or Reno/Tahoe bidding for 2022.

For France, based on current treands in the OWG movement (Turin, Vancouver and Sochi) Lyon and Toulouse are the most logical choices as potential winners. If Austria could bid with Vienna they would have been a lot stronger in 2010 and 2014 than they were. Size is starting to matter because of the number of people the games now attract. In years past winter games would attract fair fewer spectators than now. Calgary and Lillehammer changed that and now the numbers they draw are poportionally comparable to the summer games. So 200,000 to 500,000 is about what you are going to be looking at.

Though, I do have a sneaking suspicion of a certain French city winning 2018. I am starting to get the same feeling I had about Rio and Sochi.

For France, based on current treands in the OWG movement (Turin, Vancouver and Sochi) Lyon and Toulouse are the most logical choices as potential winners. If Austria could bid with Vienna they would have been a lot stronger in 2010 and 2014 than they were. Size is starting to matter because of the number of people the games now attract. In years past winter games would attract fair fewer spectators than now. Calgary and Lillehammer changed that and now the numbers they draw are poportionally comparable to the summer games. So 200,000 to 500,000 is about what you are going to be looking at.

Though, I do have a sneaking suspicion of a certain French city winning 2018. I am starting to get the same feeling I had about Rio and Sochi.

I understand your point of view about Lyon, but I think never this city could bid for winter games... Because the areas ( Departements) are very different between Lyon and the mountain area and the Bigs Alpinz city like Annecy, Grenoble or Chambery (the 3 North Alpine French capital) won't want work with Lyon... It's a French particularity, but for the moment it's just impossible... The geography is very different for Turin, Vancouver, Sotchi or Munich where there isn't other important city between them and mountains... Nice is more possible in France than Lyon or Toulouse with this kind of system.

But I think, if the IOC want more than 3 bid for the next WOG, they need to give WOG to a smallest city than Munich or Vancouver, because if not the choice is very limited and there will be only 2 or 3 bid in the future...

But I think, if the IOC want more than 3 bid for the next WOG, they need to give WOG to a smallest city than Munich or Vancouver, because if not the choice is very limited and there will be only 2 or 3 bid in the future...

That has nothing to do with anything.

The reason why there were only 3 applicants for 2018 is because more & more cities are weighting in their chances before just foolishly throwing in their time & money on a bid that would most likely be futile in the end. Like Sofia & Almaty (cities that would like to bid) surely realized that they weren't going to get anywhere when their virtual next door neighbor (globally speaking) Sochi was hosting 2014.

Italy (& Japan) want a Summer Games next. Spain, Austria & apparently Switzerland & Sweden too, are all Olympic bids fatigued. So that doesn't leave many more options for Western Europe. North America wasn't going to have any bids either, since Canada was already on the roster with 2010 & the U.S. at the time was solely focused on their 2016 summer bid.

It just looks like cities all over are starting to realize how the IOC plays the game, & want to make sure that they have at least a fighting chance at the voting table, instead of being some lame duck bid that's gonna go down in flames no matter what.

My link

Sports commentary: Denver 2022 Olympics?

By Mike Moran

Mike Moran was the chief spokesman for the United States Olympic Committee through thirteen Games, 1980-2002. The Omaha, Nebraska native was the Sports Information Director at the University of Colorado for a decade before joining the USOC in 1978 as it left New York City for Colorado Springs. He was the Senior Communications Counselor for NYC2012, New York City's Olympic bid group from 2003-2005 and is now a media consultant.

Posted : Sep 27, 2010 2:44 PM

It was just an underplot amidst the tonnage of positive news and themes emerging from the buoyant U.S. Olympic Assembly in Colorado Springs, but the topic of a possible Denver 2022 Olympic Winter Games bid by the United States Olympic Committee came up in media scrums more than once.........to be sure, USOC chief executive Scott Blackmun was clear that a future bid for an American Games by the USOC was secondary to the critical issues of its relationship with the International Olympic Committee and issues related to revenue sharing..........Blackmun was candid that the USOC would also look at the possibility of bidding for other important international events that made sense, in order to establish itself as an international friend and supporter, such as the Youth Olympic Games............in attendance at the Assembly were representatives of the Reno-Tahoe area, which continues to shadow the USOC with its interest in a future Olympic Winter Games, and there are whispers that Salt Lake City has interest in another host role, which would be three decades after its magnificent 2002 triumph............it's no secret that the Metro Denver Sports Commission has made landing the Games a mission, and President KieAnn Brownell and her team were on hand at the Assembly..........the Denver group has been aggressive in seeking international events to bolster a platform for an Olympic bid, securing the 2009 Sport Accord and working to land the 2018 or 2022 FIFA World Cup of soccer.......the city will also host the 2012 NCAA Basketball Women's Final Four. "We are interested in looking at all types of events that we can bring to Denver for economic impact," Brownell told John Meyer of the Denver Post on Saturday, "At some point, if the USOC says we're going to get back in the (Olympic) bid game, we would be interested in sitting down and talking to them and seeing what that looks like.".......that said, dreaming that I would happily be watching a 2022 Denver Olympic Winter Games on NBC Sports at my home in Kennebunkport, on Maine's Down East shores, here's my own, speculative, afternoon nap vision of a Denver Games twelve years on down the road of life:

Opening Ceremony- In front of 58,000 at Denver Olympic Stadium and a beautiful light snowfall, Coors Field as we know it, the home of the Rockies, but under IOC regulations, re-named because of sponsor sensitivity. The massive Invesco Field at Mile High was not available because the Denver Broncos and the NFL could not commit to the time and work to retrofit the stadium during the season and with the potential of the league's playoff dates.

Main Press/Broadcast Center - The Colorado Convention Center in downtown Denver. 584,000 square feet of space for news agencies, a 5,000-seat theatre and 63 meeting rooms for IOC briefings and assorted USOC and National Olympic Committee media events and announcements. Numerous restaurants and amenities for the accredited media and the hub of the media transportation system for the venues.

Media accommodation for the more than 9,000 accredited news media and broadcast partner personnel at more than 75 Denver-area hotels selected by the IOC and the Denver Olympic Organizing Committee with a varied rate schedule related to location and services.

Main Athlete Villages - Accommodation for the 3,000 athletes and 1,000 delegation support personnel at Denver University, Metro State and CU-Denver student housing for Denver events, modeled on the Los Angeles 1984 campus housing system at USC and UCLA. The students of the three institutions get a Games-long holiday!

Figure Skating - The 18,000-seat Denver Ice Center, also known as the Pepsi Center, but possibly re-named during the Games to support longtime Olympic sponsor Coca-Cola.

Men's and Women's ice hockey- at the Magness Arena at Denver University, capacity 8,000 for the sport, which now features non-NHL and collegiate players from competing nations after the NHL withdrew from the Games under pressure by team owners after the 2010 Vancouver Games.

Alpine Skiing - Beaver Creek, 120 miles from Denver and home of previous World Cup and other major international ski events. Athlete housing in designated hotels/motels. Ski jumping at brand-new venue with seats for 12,000 below the jump and for more than 25,000 at the Downhill and other Alpine events.

Nordic Skiing, Cross-Country Skiing, Biathlon- Winter Park, 67 miles from Denver with a specially-constructed Nordic stadium for the events seating 15,000 at the finish line. Seats are temporary and removed after the Games.

Bobsled, Skeleton, Luge, Snowboard/Freestyle skiing- at the new Colorado Olympic Park, 20 minutes west of Denver, in Genesee Park, Denver's largest mountain park. Housing for athletes at the Colorado School of Mines in Golden. Refrigerated run for sliding sports with temporary seating and for the other venue events which will be removed after the Games. Funding from the state's special Olympic lottery.

Curling- at the 1stBank Center in nearby Broomfield, called the Olympic Curling Center for the Games, just up the pike from Denver.

Speed Skating- at the new, 8,000-seat Denver Olympic Oval, near the Denver University campus and the home of the DU Pioneers WCHA ice hockey team, with Magness Arena now devoted to the school's men's and women's basketball gymnastics and other sports only.

Short Track Speed Skating- at the Colorado Springs World Arena, just 60 miles south of Denver, with 7,500 seats and athlete housing at the U.S. Olympic Training Center and University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.

Medals Plaza- at the Denver Civic Center near the Capitol, where almost 10,000 can enjoy the official medals presentations to the athletes each evening after sundown, with the lights and sights of the city, music, nightly fireworks and pageantry. The athletes arrive in horse-drawn, vintage carriages.

This and that- the Official IOC headquarters hotel is the historic Brown Palace........there is almost nobody alive (or coherent) who can recall that Denver was awarded the 1976 Olympic Winter Games but gave them back to the IOC, which turned to Innsbruck..........it's not an issue now as this superb city hosts the Games.........former USOC chief executive Scott Blackmun is the Chairman of the 2022 Denver Olympic Organizing Committee after retiring from the USOC in 2015 and helping to return the organization to prominence and credibility............William J. Hybl of Colorado Springs and USOC President Emeritus, is the Governor of Colorado, and joins the Mayor of Denver, Tim Tebow, Blackmun and the President of the United States as she declares the Games officially open at the Opening Ceremony.

i don't think they will put anyone forward, we'll have a better idea after the impending financial negotiations. I just thought the guy who wrote the article had a good list of venues. I don't agree with him that no one remembers Denver sent the IOC packing in 76.

I don't agree with him that no one remembers Denver sent the IOC packing in 76.

Agreed. Altho that Moran guy used to be the mouthpiece of the USOC. I think he is just in wishful thinking mode. And how can he project as Scott Blackmun leaving the USOC in 2015 to run the Denver Org Committee? Clearly pie in the mile-high sky thinking.

Look at how the IOC treated New York & Chicago. American cities that didn't even do anything to the IOC.

And that 'mike morOn' from Denver thinks that the IOC won't remember the city that literally told them to "get lost" after giving them the HONOR & somehow, out of the kindness of their hearts, just give Denver the Winter Games. Okay. :lol: You don't have to be part of history in order to remember it.

Boy, that article is just full of presumptions, like the U.S. having a female president in 2022. The best time for that has come & gone & America blew it.

2018/2020/2022/2024 are in such a weird position because we honestly just don't know.

Based on what I've seen and think

Korea is a leaper within the IOC, the scandals amongst Korean IOC members and amongst high ranking IF officials has tainted them, along with lackluster world championships hosted in multiple sports and rumors out of the bunker that Samsung might be unwelcome. Add in intense Japanese and Russian lobbying against Korea and we have a likely loser. The only benefit Korea has is the Italians will be behind them.

If it is a Munich/Annecy win in 2018, welcome to Tokyo 2020. If its Pyeongchang, its off to the Eternal City. I just don't think the IOC will settle for Durban.

This is where things get murky. If Korea wins in 2018, Sweden, Austria, Germany and France would all be in with fighting chances, but based on rotation the USA would be the most logical choice, 12 years after Vancouver and with a multiple European hostings since it would be balancing to have the US host. But they won't bid, so back to Europe. If Europe wins 2018 its likely that you will have Europe-Europe-Asia-Asia with China stepping up.

The loser of 2020 continent-wise will take 2024 with South Africa coming to their senses and going with Cape Town in 2028.

The loser of 2020 continent-wise will take 2024 with South Africa coming to their senses and going with Cape Town in 2028.

Largely agree with you, although I expect 20/24 is Europe and Africa, and then 28 is Tokyo. Like you, I think Durban 2020 will be passed over and encouraged to "bid again". I don't doubt that Durban can win, but not in 2020.

Korea is a leaper within the IOC, the scandals amongst Korean IOC members and amongst high ranking IF officials has tainted them, along with lackluster world championships hosted in multiple sports and rumors out of the bunker that Samsung might be unwelcome. Add in intense Japanese and Russian lobbying against Korea and we have a likely loser. The only benefit Korea has is the Italians will be behind them.

If it is a Munich/Annecy win in 2018, welcome to Tokyo 2020. If its Pyeongchang, its off to the Eternal City. I just don't think the IOC will settle for Durban.

The Italians are not the only ones that will support Korea for 2018. I think more countries in Europe interested in hosting soon (Spain, Turkey, Romania, Ukraine...) as well as the Africans that want South Africa to host will also vote for PyeongChang.

Then, for 2020, I think Rome's victory is not that clear. Madrid and Istanbul could be tough opponents in Europe if they finally decide to bid, not to mention South Africa might not get the Games, but I'd say they'll be fighting for them until the end, which may lead to another early elimination of a favourite, like Chicago for 2016.

I don't doubt that Durban can win, but not in 2020.

I disagree. They (or even if it becomes Cape Town) are ahead right now. If the South Africans play their cards correctly in the int'l game, I really DON'T see why 2020 will be denied them. Consider:

(1) great 2010 World Cup;

(2) LAST continent NOT to have been a host. How can the IOC 'reward' South America and NOT Africa? :blink:

(3) They will have an all-important IOC-session there next year. THat could be another historic IOC 'first.'

(4) Cape Town had a credible run in 1997. Why shouldn't it all come together for an African bid in 2013?

(5) The all-important stadium is ALREADY there in Durban...even newer than Athens' OAKA was for their 2004 outing. New airport, etc., etc.

(6) An Africa 2020 works perfectly with the time-honoured 'every 3rd Olympix back to Europe' argument. So 2024 goes to Europe.

(7) Then Rome? Been there; done that. It's been around for over 2,000 years; it can wait another 4.

So unless you (as an IOC member) have a personal grudge vs. Africa, I really don't see how an unbiased IOC'er bypass an African bid again. They need to tick Africa off their list so their books (and conscience) are clear. Why delay another 4 or 8 years? I don't see the reason.

I've never been to RSA; know only 2nd hand info on it. But 'weather-wise,' Durban probabky fits the bill more than CT. And if the top 3 tourist and travel associations of RSA endorsed Durban as the right candidate, then they obviously now what they are talking about. I mean RSA's travel experts know what's going on in internationally, so they have the right pulse for it.

So having an Olympic Park already in place, just waiting for an IOC extravaganza, a new Olympic size stadium, a brand new airport, great summer weather, not to mention that Olympic Park just footsteps from the beach in AFRICA, would be "settling". :blink:

Yes, the thing Durban lacks is in "international" name (but so have other Summer Olympic hosts in the past), but really, let's be pratical, too. It's pretty much a no-brainer with all the attributes that Durban has that the city makes sense. Having that Olympic Park right on the beach with the Africa 'x' factor is certainly a HUGE incentive, & certainly a point that a lot of certain north of the border posters here like to tout about a certain city that sits on the Great Lakes with an Olympic Park proposal right on the lakefront.

Yet it has not even 1/5 of the accomodations that say London has. Cape Town and Jo'burg have have more than double what Durban has and the IOC has learned from experience that accomodations is not something you can pull out of thin air. And in the last 50 years how many non-Internationally well known cities have hosted? Atlanta is pretty much it. The IOC went to South America when it was offered Rio de Janeiro not Florianopolis or Sao Paolo or Montevideo or whoever. They went to South Americans most prestigious and well-known city. The IOC isn't going to hock their wares in South Africa's third city and a city that is not even a blip on the international scene when they can hock them in Rome or Tokyo or Madrid.

Istanbul had a lot of their venues in place, didn't even make the short-list in 2012 and were generously put through for 2008. Havig venues does not mean you are capable of hosting the games. Pyeonchang had more venues on the grand than any bidder in their races and lost both times. Paris was the same and so was Madrid. Not to mention Salzburg's two loses as well with minimal risk with regards to venues.

And yes a new international airport that only has international links to the UAE, Mauritius and Mozambique is a real winner. And the airports capacity is 7.5 million passengers a year, compared to London's 66 million, Beijing's 65 million, Athen's 16 million, Sydney's 33 million, Atlanta's 88 million, and Barcelona's 27 million.

Just because you have some shiny new toys doesn't mean you can accomodate the movements of 400,000 people per day over 17 days. Durban faces major logistical challenges with regards to transportion, infrastructure and accomodations. If South Africa wants the games they will have to be in Cape Town or Johannesburg. Millions of people descend on an Olympic city for a month, for a world cup is ten's of thousands for a few days here and there. Just because you can host 7 or 8 world cup games does not make you capable of hosting the Olympics. Its apples and organes.

And Baron, 2004 means nothing. Argentina was in the middle of one of the worst domestic financial crises in the last 50 years and Stockholm had bomb threats (and I believe an actual bombing) to derail the bid.

The IOC isn't going to hock their wares in South Africa's third city and a city that is not even a blip on the international scene when they can hock them in Rome or Tokyo or Madrid.

Uhmmm, faster...where are they holding the next big pow-wow of 2011 -- where the world's press will be gathered to hear the winner of the 2018 Winter Games??

I guess in your estimation, RSA will just stop at what they have in Durban today and NOT expand the city/region's infrastructure. I guess time will stand still for Durban as of October 2010 because naysayers deem it to be.

I disagree. They (or even if it becomes Cape Town) are ahead right now. If the South Africans play their cards correctly in the int'l game, I really DON'T see why 2020 will be denied them. Consider:

(1) great 2010 World Cup;

(2) LAST continent NOT to have been a host. How can the IOC 'reward' South America and NOT Africa? :blink:

(3) They will have an all-important IOC-session there next year. THat could be another historic IOC 'first.'

(4) Cape Town had a credible run in 1997. Why shouldn't it all come together for an African bid in 2013?

(5) The all-important stadium is ALREADY there in Durban...even newer than Athens' OAKA was for their 2004 outing. New airport, etc., etc.

(6) An Africa 2020 works perfectly with the time-honoured 'every 3rd Olympix back to Europe' argument. So 2024 goes to Europe.

(7) Then Rome? Been there; done that. It's been around for over 2,000 years; it can wait another 4.

So unless you (as an IOC member) have a personal grudge vs. Africa, I really don't see how an unbiased IOC'er bypass an African bid again. They need to tick Africa off their list so their books (and conscience) are clear. Why delay another 4 or 8 years? I don't see the reason.

I've never been to RSA; know only 2nd hand info on it. But 'weather-wise,' Durban probabky fits the bill more than CT. And if the top 3 tourist and travel associations of RSA endorsed Durban as the right candidate, then they obviously now what they are talking about. I mean RSA's travel experts know what's going on in internationally, so they have the right pulse for it.

But, but ...

Sigh, I've said it all before. I don't wanna be a broken record.

However, as far as being great priority goes, I don't see why, after 117 years, it would suddenly become for the IOC members a matter of vital urgency to tick off Africa now. Four years is nothing in overall terms, and especially when there is a great reason - to see how Rio goes first, and have a good insurance policy in pocket for 2020 in case preparations for 2016 go belly-up.

That said, I'll back off calling the task impossible for SA - the wildcard that's hard to factor in for me is the effect of the Durban session. That's an unprecedented advantage that no bidder's ever been blessed with before, especially in the post-SLC/no visits era.

As far as Durban goes itself, I've always regarded as every bit as viable a candidate for SA as a potential Cape Town bid. If not for Mo's sake, I'd probably even prefer it. Especially in that it's been the most enthusiastic and at least at face deep has looked a bit more prepared facility wise lately. Moses Mabhida stadium's been great for their sports image branding. I could well see Durbs be the Barcelona of South Africa in terms of legacy potential. And as far as South Africa having any chance for 2020 is concerned, I';d go as far as saying it's got to be Durban - that 2011 session is the best ace they have that could swing it.

LOL - just realised this thread was a 2022 WOGs one. Sorry, keen winter followers, for prolonging the off-topic turn.

En route back to 2022.....

As for 2018, if Munich wins. Africa will be up against Tokyo for 2020. I think it's more likely that PC will win (with the help of the Italians and the "always-the-bridesmaid" syndrome), in which case Africa will face off with Europe for 2020.

As for 2020, no matter what happens with 2018, the IOC will have a worthy alternative to Africa if they decide they need one. Africa will have to earn 2020. I really think it's theirs to win or lose on the basis of merit.

Finally... 2022 ... Asia is only in the running if PC loses 2018 and Tokyo loses 2020. If Europe gets 2018, they are definitely out of 2022 -- the IOC isn't going for 3 European WOGS in a row. If Europe gets 2020, a European host in 2022 is not totally inconceivable, but probably wouldn't be the IOC's favorite scenario. The U.S. is the only country that wouldn't face the same continental rotation issues. But the U.S. knows that if they take aim at 2022, it'll be a VERY long wait for a Summer Games. There's no guarantee they'll even bid. (I hope they don't.)

If Africa were to host in 2020, it would open up the options for 2022 because either Asia or Europe (whichever didn't host 2018) would then be a strong contender for 2022. If 2018 and 2020 are divided between Asia and Europe, 2022 is left hanging in limbo with no obvious destination. The next North American Games should NOT be Winter Games. The last two Olympics in North America have both been Winter Games. It's time for Summer.

My preferred scenario is the following:

2018 -- Pyeongchang

2020 -- Durban

2022 -- Europe

2024 -- Asia vs. North America

2026 -- loser of 2024 (Asia or North America)

2028 -- Europe

Incidentally, I do realize that a 16 year gap between European Summer Games is pushing it....

Istanbul, Paris, Madrid, Salzburg are all apples & oranges.

Istanbul's main venues are out in the middle of nowhere. And 2008 was Beijing's anyway, the compelling candidate by far. Same with Sochi.. Salzburg just couldn't compete with the Russians (not to mention the internal problems the AOC was having at the time of the bid). Heck, even the Koreans could barely compete.

Madrid was just asking for too much in too little time (i.e. too soon after Barcelona. Not to mention London 2012 already in Europe). And Paris is not in Africa. Besides, they lost by only a few votes.

And accommodation, well, it's not like Rio has an abundance of it either, that's Y they need ships. And it's also not like Rio isn't going to have major challenges in transporation (i.e. the 4 spread out clusters), infrastructure & accommodation. And if we're gonna compare airports with past host, lets compare them relatively, shall we. Cape Town's doesn't handle that much more than Durban's.

And Atlanta was not the only non-internationally known city to have hosted in the last 50 years. It's not like Barcelona & Seoul were anywhere near a 'blip' in the internation arena like London, Paris, New York or even a Rio or Tokyo, at the time they were awarded.

I'm certainly not saying that Durban would be a 'shoe-in', but to downplay the city as if it was a 'Florianoplis, Montevideo', or a Tulsa, Leipzig or Hobart is just simply inaccurate.

Archived