2022 Winter Olympics

Handa

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zaragoza, Huesca and Jaca have agreed to make a joint bid to host the 2022 Winter Olympics.

I dont thin it will be a high bid. Lets see how much there is snow in Sotsi 2014 :lol:

Actually, in the Premium Members' section ,we just heard from someone who was working with the Zaragosa City Hall; and he says the bid is dead for now. It seems the Spanish Olympic Committee still want to plunge dead ahead with Madrid. Those wild and crazy Spaniards. :blink:

Actually, in the Premium Members' section ,we just heard from someone who was working with the Zaragosa City Hall; and he says the bid is dead for now. It seems the Spanish Olympic Committee still want to plunge dead ahead with Madrid. Those wild and crazy Spaniards. :blink:

Well they are persistent you got to give them that :huh:

Ah so...Zaragosa v. Reno-Tahoe v. Santiago? 3 continents....hmmm...very interesting!!

If Samurach is dead or dying in 2015, it may sound cold, but that could put Zaragoza over the top for a win. Just like his pleading got Madrid into a surprising 2nd place for 2016.

If Samurach is dead or dying in 2015, it may sound cold, but that could put Zaragoza over the top for a win. Just like his pleading got Madrid into a surprising 2nd place for 2016.

I'd give the old man 3 years or so.

And all 3 could play the "Spanish card." Zaragoza is of course, Spain. Santiago is...same, and Reno-Tahoe has the Sierra Nevada as its main mountain range...so THERE!! Another Spanish free-for-all!!

I'd give the old man 3 years or so.

And all 3 could play the "Spanish card." Zaragoza is of course, Spain. Santiago is...same, and Reno-Tahoe has the Sierra Nevada as its main mountain range...so THERE!! Another Spanish free-for-all!!

and the Reno-Tahoe area used to be in Mexico! before that pesky little Mexican American War.

and the Reno-Tahoe area used to be in Mexico! before that pesky little Mexican American War.

Thank GOD Mexico doesnt own it anymore, Lake Tahoe is so beautiful..but if Mexico owned it it would be littered with Severed Heads(courtesey of the local Cartel) and chicken fighting rings.

Anyway, California needs to recover financially, so does the USOC and the US in general. Id say the soonest we should bid is the 2026 Winter Games. And RENO-TAHOE sounds horrid, just have it be LAKE TAHOE 2026.

After Madrid's loss for 2016 and Samurach's health, I think a solid bid by Spain would have no problem winning. Plus ZARAGOZA, jsut the sound of it sounds fun and exotic.

And RENO-TAHOE sounds horrid, just have it be LAKE TAHOE 2026.

But technically, Lake Tahoe doesn't cut it. The bid must bear the name of where the majority of events are held, including the Ceremonies, PLUS where the IOC will be based as well as the Village. So those would mostly be in Reno proper. I mean the Olympics have survived "Garmisch-Partenkirchen" or "Cortina d'AMpezzo," why should "Reno 2022" be so different?

But technically, Lake Tahoe doesn't cut it. The bid must bear the name of where the majority of events are held, including the Ceremonies, PLUS where the IOC will be based as well as the Village. So those would mostly be in Reno proper. I mean the Olympics have survived "Garmisch-Partenkirchen" or "Cortina d'AMpezzo," why should "Reno 2022" be so different?

Carson City is half the distance to Lake Tahoe.

I cannot fathom another Canadian Winter Olympics again for a while. Meanwhile, the CBC here made an article that Quebec City may try to bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics. The problem about which mountain to use for the alpine events was the cause of Quebec City's humiliating vote count for 2002.

• 2 months later...

January 3 - Reno-Tahoe will take another step towards trying to launch a bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics this week when they stage an Olympic Heritage Celebration and also start a campaign to build an Olympic Museum as part of the 50th anniversary of Squaw Valley hosting the Games in 1960.

The campaign is being led by Nancy Cushing, whose late husband, Alex Cushing, brought the Olympcs to Squaw Valley, the west shore of Lake Tahoe, the first time.

The campaign's first obstacle this time will be persuading the USOC, who are reluctant to launch any more Olympic bids at the moment after Chicago's attempt to host the 2016 Games ended in humiliation last year.

Brian Krolicki, the chairman of the Nevada Commission on Tourism and a leading member of the Reno-Tahoe coalition, had promised in October that a campaign to persuade the USOC to put it forward for 2022 after they refused to endorse a bid for 2018, which has attracted only three interested cities, Annecy, Munich and Pyeongchang.

The USOC are expected to make a decision in 2012 whether or not to support a bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics, which Denver are also keen on putting themselves forward for.

Reno-Tahoe officials are hoping that a bid from them would repeat history.

When Squaw Valley hosted the Olympics in 1960 it was the first time that the US had hosted the Games since Los Angeles had staged the Summer event in 1932.

2022 will mark the 20th anniversary of the last occasion that America had staged an Olympics - when Salt Lake City were the host for 2002 Winter Games - following unsuccessful bids from New York City for 2012 and Chicago for 2016.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php?op...d=1:latest-news

Anyone think Almaty will bid? Most of us were expecting them to bid for 2018, and they could've had a decent bid after correcting some errors from their 2014 application. If they do bid, would Sochi 2014 in neighboring Russia put off some IOC voters?

Anyone think Almaty will bid? Most of us were expecting them to bid for 2018, and they could've had a decent bid after correcting some errors from their 2014 application. If they do bid, would Sochi 2014 in neighboring Russia put off some IOC voters?

Almaty, i suppose, knew that after Sochi 2014 (even if in europe, almost in asia and not too far from Kazakstan), it was absolutely not their time for 2018 !

But for 2022, depending who will win 2018 & 2020, it could be another story and they would probably surf on the legacy of the 2011 asian winter games.

From watching Salt Lake, it seems they are getting ready for another bid. I don't think it will be 2022, but it could be. They might end up submitting a proposal to USOC for the 2022 games, but doesn't seem too likely. If Reno or Denver do not win 2022, I think there is a high chance they will bid for the 2026 games.

Will Quebec City try another bid? That new Arena complex they're planning on will really boost any future bid. Just make the old Colisee Quebec a historical building so it can be used for Figure Skating and Short Track. Then all you need to do is sort out the mountain problem, either build inland for some proper legacy or use the temporary ramp idea.

This morning the major of Barcelona (yes, Barcelona) has announced their intention to bid for the 2022 winter games. Of course there would be two olympic villages: ceremonies and ice sports in Barcelona, snow sports in the Pyrinees. The nearest ski stations in the Pyrinees are in a distance of about two hours by car. Now they will have to fight with the Zaragoza-Jaca bid. :rolleyes:

Link

This morning the major of Barcelona (yes, Barcelona) has announced their intention to bid for the 2022 winter games. Of course there would be two olympic villages: ceremonies and ice sports in Barcelona, snow sports in the Pyrinees. The nearest ski stations in the Pyrinees are in a distance of about two hours by car. Now they will have to fight with the Zaragoza-Jaca bid. :rolleyes:

Link

It's Amazing, Barcelona isn't ski resort or mountain or winter city... Jaca is a better solution... Spanish are crazy with barcelona for winter games, I hope Jaca wins, but if barcelona is the official Bid for Spain, it will haven't chance...

It's Amazing, Barcelona isn't ski resort or mountain or winter city... Jaca is a better solution... Spanish are crazy with barcelona for winter games, I hope Jaca wins, but if barcelona is the official Bid for Spain, it will haven't chance...

Jaca is too small, that's why from now on it is part of Zaragoza's bid. The distance from Zaragoza to Jaca by car is about 1h 45min, so Zaragoza and Barcelona are in a similar position. The distance between Vancouver and Whistler is 1h 51 min according to Google maps, so no, it's not such a crazy idea.

Archived