Usa Pan Am Games Possible Bid Cities

ChicagoUSA2016

Are there 800m drop mountains close to Burlington?

(I mean I like Vermont and NE in the fall...but first, the area in question must be able to pass the technical test of having developed ski runs with an 800m drop nearby. )

I did some research and there is one ski resort in Vermont that has at least an 800m (2624 feet) drop. It is the Killington Ski Resort and is about a 1 hour and 45 minute drive from central Burlington. However there are several ski areas closer to Burlington that could very well host the other events not requiring the 800m drop.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did some research and there is one ski resort in Vermont that has at least an 800m (2624 feet) drop. It is the Killington Ski Resort and is about a 1 hour and 45 minute drive from central Burlington. However there are several ski areas closer to Burlington that could very well host the other events not requiring the 800m drop.

Forgot to mention that the Killington Ski Resort has a vertical drop of 3,050 feet (929M).

Also, just found another ski resort in VT that meets the height requirement (barely), it's the Sugarbush Ski resort at 2,650 feet (807M). This ski resort is about an hour from Burlington.

OMG! Killington!! Of course!! That's where I first learned to ski. Long ago...on the bunny slopes.

1 hr-45min from Burlington is too far.

The Tahoe slopes are only 45 mins from Reno. And you have STUNNING vistas of Tahoe. I remember now...the snow was kinda too slick. The snow in Tahoe is superior.

Sorry, Burlington ain't gonna cut it.

Here is a list of the vertical drops (in feet) for nearly every North American ski hill: Vertical Feet

The magic number in feet, as Olympic USA mentioned, is 2624. Nearly every mountain that fits that need lies in the West. Only four mountains in the east make the cut: Whiteface in New York, Killington in Vermont, Sugarloaf in Maine, and Sugarbush in Vermont. Smuggler's Notch in Vermont and Le Massif in Quebec almost make the cut. Whiteface was the site of Alpine events for the Lake Placid Games.

One interesting stat for comparison in there is Chamonix in France, which has a 9000ft+ vertical drop!

I mostly agree with baron. The USOC sees the pan-ams as a small fish fry and don't want much to do with them at all. It's basically treated as a training ground for young American C teams (not even B teams in most cases). However at some point they could suck it up and attempt a bid. Even Seattle with it's traffic issues would be a decent pan-am city.

But the problem is how would hosting the pan-ams bolster a potential Olympic bid's vision amongst the IOC? It's not like Brazil's work with Rio: the US already has the clear capabilities in place and hosting a smaller event that is dwarfed by many other events that have already happened there doesn't do much to prove anything. It would only be worth it if an unlikelier city (not LA, Chicago, or NY) used it as a mobilization vehicle towards the OGs to demonstrate it's abilities despite not being a major economic centre. I'm confident that the IOC would respond better to an American 'underdog' city. They might see it as having good local spirit, little opposition, and having a municipal government that isn't too much of a bureaucratic tangle to deal with. Not only that, but a smaller city would have much more humbling bid leaders instead of high-and-mighty power figures that come along with the largest three cities. The IOC is tired of the bombastic show of political might by everybody in the past few elections.

I can explain how the PanAm hosting could boost an Olympic bid even for a big American city, but it is definitely more useful for new frontiers and 2nd tier cities. It is not only about having another multi-sport event in the CV. What Rio did was deeper than that, but it requires a 7-year bidding process.

What Rio did was to create a plan for the PanAm that would suit the Olympics and keep the people who organized the PanAm to head the Olympic bid committee and the OC for the Games itself. So, the PanAm was an Olympic pilot project.

By the way, this was not properly planned by Rio in 2002, but changed after missing the shortlist for 2012 in 2005. The initial plan was to use the preparations of the PanAm to boost the Olympic bid, but they have realized that the actual hosting experience would be needed.

So, the secret is offsetting the cities disadvantages for the Olympic bid. NYC could have bought time to build the Olympic Stadium, Chicago could have staged memorable PanAm for its people to boost support for an Olympic bid - which was one of the effects in Rio. Traffic and transportation solutions can be tested and redesigned. Venues can be used and tested.

By the way, until 1979 or 83, the US always sent their first team to the PanAms, it was in the 80's that they have changed their approach and started to send B and C teams, depending on the sports. However, there are still several events where everyone sends its A team, because they work as Olympic trials, such as shooting, handball, among others. However, typically those are less attractive in terms of audience. So, if the US sends its A team to an American PanAm, they might get the city behind a new bid. It's like tasting an Olympic-like event, like cariocas experienced in 2007.

OMG! Killington!! Of course!! That's where I first learned to ski. Long ago...on the bunny slopes.

1 hr-45min from Burlington is too far.

The Tahoe slopes are only 45 mins from Reno. And you have STUNNING vistas of Tahoe. I remember now...the snow was kinda too slick. The snow in Tahoe is superior.

Sorry, Burlington ain't gonna cut it.

Yet Whistler to Vancouver and Munich to Garmisch is about 90 minutes, correct? True, Tahoe is awesome and would make a great host - I just wish they would leave Reno out of the bid. Reno's trashy image will hinder Tahoe's stunning beauty in my opinion - but the IOC did choose Torino for 2006, which from my understanding is nothing but an industrial car town.

And while technically a Reno-Tahoe games is superior a Burlington games would be classier ;)

Yet Whistler to Vancouver and Munich to Garmisch is about 90 minutes, correct? True, Tahoe is awesome and would make a great host - I just wish they would leave Reno out of the bid. Reno's trashy image will hinder Tahoe's stunning beauty in my opinion - but the IOC did choose Torino for 2006, which from my understanding is nothing but an industrial car town.

And while technically a Reno-Tahoe games is superior a Burlington games would be classier ;)

I think Whistler-Vancouver is one hour; I don't know about Munich_Garmisch...

But if Reno has a trashy image...then there's an impetus right there. Just as Vegas went from Sin City to a more wholesome, family-oriented environment, I think this is a good "renewal" theme for a Reno-Tahoe bid to build on. "A WOG would remake Reno to another Salt Lake but still with gambling."

And 45 minutes is still HALF of a 90-minute drive...not counting snowstorms and other road delays.

What about Bozeman? Bozmeman wants to play now, too. :lol:

But seriously, Reno would be used as the anchor, so they would have to be part of the bid. Not only that, but those old fart IOC members, athletes, media & spectators alike, can gamble themselves silly at the same time, lol.

What about Bozeman? Bozmeman wants to play now, too. :lol:

But seriously, Reno would be used as the anchor, so they would have to be part of the bid. Not only that, but those old fart IOC members, athletes, media & spectators alike, can gamble themselves silly at the same time, lol.

Bozeman can wait until the moose come home.

Mores tuff on Reno:

Inner city population's about 217,000 now; metro area is 577,000. By 2022, the former could be up 240,000; metro could get close to 600,000 -- good numbers for a WOG.

This also from Wikipedia: There are approximately eight major ski resorts, including Northstar-at-Tahoe, Sierra-at-Tahoe, Alpine Meadows, Squaw Valley Ski Resort, Sugar Bowl, Diamond Peak, Heavenly, and Mount Rose Ski Resort located as close as eleven miles (18 km) and as far as ninety-eight miles from the Reno-Tahoe International Airport. Other popular winter activities include cross country skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, and snowmobiling.

Plus, they're going to get a minor league hockey team AND there is a Reno Philarmonic!!

• 3 weeks later...
A US city can do with a major Republican or Democratic convention (like Atlanta did in 1988 as a run up to 1990), one or two high-profile world championships AND an annual major marathon/triathlon meet. It doesn't need a PanAms.

On the other hand, a Winter PanAms might be good for say Reno-Tahoe.

Hi everyone!

But couldn´t it workout for a second tier city, like Boston, Miami, Houston etc

Hosting one edition of the Pan Ams, they could suddenly turn from ugly duckling into the country favorite swan! I could see Texas presenting Houston instead of San Antonio or Austin to then try to make it a first tier city with PASO support and some more appeal, for instance.

New York City to bid for the 2023 Pan American Games! :o

Don't think NYC needs to host a Pan Am. They can compete to host it without had previously hosted a Pan am or a YOG. But I really believe the so called 2nd tier cities could gain with one of them.

Houston or Boston or Minne could host the 2018 youth games or the 2023 Pan Ams and get competitive against Toronto for the 2028 Olympics (which will be decided in 2021).

• 7 months later...

Don't think NYC needs to host a Pan Am. They can compete to host it without had previously hosted a Pan am or a YOG. But I really believe the so called 2nd tier cities could gain with one of them.

Houston or Boston or Minne could host the 2018 youth games or the 2023 Pan Ams and get competitive against Toronto for the 2028 Olympics (which will be decided in 2021).

Houston would be ideal for the 2018 Youth Games. They have most (if not all) of the venues in place.

Houston would be ideal for the 2018 Youth Games. They have most (if not all) of the venues in place.

I know it's not the most sexiest of events to go after, but I do think the YOGs in the US would help restore ties and build goodwill for the USOC in Lausanne.

• 2 weeks later...

There's an audience for everything in the U.S. Promoted properly, it can draw a crowd.

Baron, how are you doing!

I don't know if I am little confused, but I think I read a post of yours saying that US should not Bid for Pan Am games. You said - if I'm not wrong - that these games were a kind of second class ones, or something like that, but that was the general idea. I would like to know whether you said that during the furor of the race for 2016 or you changed your mind.

Archived