2010 Results Predictions

Well, it's a few days to go in a two-horse race, so let's get our predictions in.

We should all have a 50-50 chance of getting it right. I'm not sure if they'll release vote numbers (and it's probably hard to predict them in a postal ballot anyway) so I suppose unless you wanna try ortherwise, just the winner's enough.

I predict Singapore.

it's Singapore for me as they've been focusing on the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect right from the get-go, incorporating these values into their concept. it is remarkable how these very values have helped in showcasing Singapore as genuinely enthused in promoting the Olympic spirit and ideals through their highly informative and dynamic website (which included bid videos worth checking out!) and through all the news reports that have covered on both cities' bid.

it also helps when the other contender seems to have lost the plot. it's more of another feather in the cap and not to mention bragging rights for the people behind Moscow's bid, rather than the sincere message of spreading Olympism as demonstrated by Singapore. oh! and surely faux pas that included criticising the other bidding city's weather does nothing to help Moscow's cause. and i'm not sure having Maria Sharapova and Novak Djokovic endorsing their bid was a good idea too as wouldn't that run contrary to what the IOC wanted the YOG to be in the first place which is a low-key event? This is where i fear that Moscow is already on its way to making the YOG a large scale "mega" event.

on a side note, VISA international, the credit card company has announced it is supporting Singapore's bid and i wonder how that will play out. but even if Singapore is not elected as the host city, it's commendable how they've actually stepped up to the plate and in a matter of 3 months, from the initial announcement of their interest to the submission of their candidature file, have come up with a bid that's comprehensive and well thought-out even worthy of an actual SOG bid. impressive for a city that lacks previous experience in hosting major multi-sport events to make the cut in the final shortlist. so kudos to the Singaporeans for i've read that this YOG bid has even reached grassroots level. indeed Singapore is a tiny nation with a big heart!

and on a final note, incidentally Moscow lost their 2012 bid in Singapore back in 2005. talk about a tale of two cities ;)

Ahahas , I would choose Singapore of course ! Tomorrow , there will be a celebration at the Padang regardless of the result in the heart of the city , where the results will be telecast live ! Also , ChannelNewAsia , a Singapore News Channel will also telecast the announcement live across the country. ChannelNewAsia is also telecast to some Asian Countries as well.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/yog

I've always wanted Singapore, originally it looked liked it would be Singapore, then Moscow seemed to look more favourable, then even more favourable, then they slipped up a bit... and now I have absoloutely no idea. As mentioned previously, it is also so difficult to tell when it is a postal ballot. However, I would be very suprised if either bid wins by more than 7 or 8 votes.

it's Singapore for me as they've been focusing on the Olympic values of excellence, friendship and respect right from the get-go, incorporating these values into their concept. it is remarkable how these very values have helped in showcasing Singapore as genuinely enthused in promoting the Olympic spirit and ideals through their highly informative and dynamic website (which included bid videos worth checking out!) and through all the news reports that have covered on both cities' bid.

it also helps when the other contender seems to have lost the plot. it's more of another feather in the cap and not to mention bragging rights for the people behind Moscow's bid, rather than the sincere message of spreading Olympism as demonstrated by Singapore. oh! and surely faux pas that included criticising the other bidding city's weather does nothing to help Moscow's cause. and i'm not sure having Maria Sharapova and Novak Djokovic endorsing their bid was a good idea too as wouldn't that run contrary to what the IOC wanted the YOG to be in the first place which is a low-key event? This is where i fear that Moscow is already on its way to making the YOG a large scale "mega" event.

on a side note, VISA international, the credit card company has announced it is supporting Singapore's bid and i wonder how that will play out. but even if Singapore is not elected as the host city, it's commendable how they've actually stepped up to the plate and in a matter of 3 months, from the initial announcement of their interest to the submission of their candidature file, have come up with a bid that's comprehensive and well thought-out even worthy of an actual SOG bid. impressive for a city that lacks previous experience in hosting major multi-sport events to make the cut in the final shortlist. so kudos to the Singaporeans for i've read that this YOG bid has even reached grassroots level. indeed Singapore is a tiny nation with a big heart!

and on a final note, incidentally Moscow lost their 2012 bid in Singapore back in 2005. talk about a tale of two cities ;)

I think the IOC's main concern was to make it a low budget event, not neccessarily a low key event. The main aim of Olympism is to bring the educational values of sport to society - they therefore want this event to get media coverage etc and be something to inspire young people to participate in sport, not like the European Youth Olympic Festival which fails to get any coverage (though I have seen it is slowly improving). In terms of organisational success, the EYOF is a success, but even Rogge admits that it is not a success in terms of media coverage and the public eye.

The YOGs are not to be as costly and sometimes frilivous event that the Olympic Games can be, with $50million Ceremonies, huge construction projects etc, but they must appeal, they must be remembered and even though they are not allowed to leave a legacy like new venues, they must leave a sporting legacy, with more people participating in sport.

I am, however, concerned that the YOGs are talking about $200-300million USD budgets, when in Guatemala they spoke of figures of around $30-35million... I guess this is a huge experiement, the full and final results we will see only some time after the games themselves have taken place. It is a bit crazy though, when you think that the European Youth Olympic Festival in Paris in 2003 had a budget of only 4€million!

Regarding Visa's endorsement of the Singapore bid, I am quite suprised that this has been allowed, as TOP sponsors in the bidding competitions for the Olympic Games are supposed to be prohibited from supporting Candidate Cities, for example the event that Paris 2012 held in 2005 which was endorsed by CocaCola. That said, I suppose there have been known relations in the past with Samsung and PyeongChang, not to mention Mizuno's sponsorship of Tokyo 2016 (whilst Mizuno are not a TOP sponsor, they are an official supplier - and I have asked both the IOC and Tokyo if Mizuno's sponsorship of Tokyo 2016 violates this rule, which instead of replying to me with a denial, each of just ignored my email - which I believe means that there is a possible violation). Either way, I don't think that it is very ethical to have an election candidate financially supported by the sponsor of the organisation whose members are the electors.

Moscow might be dreading the word Olympic (in any spelling). While they may have spilled money to try and get their showpiece event, I'm afraid that their desire to banish the ghosts of 1980 will end in failure. By trying to make Singapore look like unsuitable contenders for the YOG, not to mention the highly exaggerated budgets and promotion regarding the YOG, they seem to be making desperate moves for a lost cause...

Moscow can host the "Olympics" in 2008 (when Spartak Moscow hosts Olympique Marseille)...they would have more in the coming years

However, I would be very suprised if either bid wins by more than 7 or 8 votes.

Oh, bloody hell... I should be careful before making such statements. Only I could say "I would be very suprised is either city wins by more than 7 or 8 votes" for the city to then win by 9!! :rolleyes::unsure:

Well, since I was a whole one out, I will say that I am suprised that it was such a gap (I was expecting a handful of votes' difference), but perhaps not "very suprised". Nine votes is still very close, but at the same time a reasonably high margin.

Oh, bloody hell... I should be careful before making such statements. Only I could say "I would be very suprised is either city wins by more than 7 or 8 votes" for the city to then win by 9!! :rolleyes::unsure:

Well, since I was a whole one out, I will say that I am suprised that it was such a gap (I was expecting a handful of votes' difference), but perhaps not "very suprised". Nine votes is still very close, but at the same time a reasonably high margin.

The first think I tot of when I saw the bid scoreline was your prediction. :P Anyway apparant there is some level of surprise that the vote was so close.