Beijing Olympic Torch Relay

I can't help but feel a little uncomfotable reading an announcement like this today.

Line-up of Olympic torchbearers is announced

The full line-up of sports and showbusiness personalities who will carry the Olympic torch through London was announced today.

The torch will pass through the capital on Sunday 6 April in a day-long festival as part of an international relay that will take it to Beijing for the start of the 2008 Games in August.

The 80 torchbearers include classical violinist Vanessa Mae, England cricketer Kevin Pietersen television presenter Konnie Huq, retired swimmer Duncan Goodhew and badminton player Gail Emms.

They will join Dame Kelly Holmes and Sir Trevor McDonald, whose involvement was revealed last month.

The relay will start at Wembley Arena Square, pass the site of the 2012 Games and end in a "grand finale" beside the O2 featuring performances by the Sugababes and a gymnastics display.

Eighty people will carry the torch and organisers are expecting large crowds to follow it.

Other celebrations include a dragon procession in Chinatown and music and dance in Trafalgar Square.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/events/artic...nced/article.do

The timing of these celebrations couldn't be worse and although it is of course not the case, it will seem as though we are indulging China and their PR machine when we ought to be distancing ourselves from it (though I in no way favour boycotts).

Also, April 6th isn't far off. If the troubles in Tibet continue to escalate this "celebration" would seem rather grotesque I can certainly see parts of the route being hijacked by protesters. In fact, a part of me would really like to see that happen.

I also wonder whether nearer the date, if Tibet is still in the news, any of the celebs will pull out of the event.

Edited by Rob ♪

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, did you see that "anti-Olympic Games torch" that those Tibetans lit at Olympia on your local and/or national news broadcasts? :o No wonder the Greek officials there looked very nervous, if that "flame" were to leave the area. You can tell that they were really pissed off, when news came out that they would do it. And, on top of that, at less than a week before the Olympic Flame ceremony is going to take place there with the priestesses.

is going to take place there with the priestesses.

I'd put that as 'priestesses.' At least the Tibetans have authentic priests (OK, monks). But the real thing.

And if Greece has the same 'priestesses' like that one shown in "300," (i.e., half-naked :o ), then I could buy the legitimacy of their ceremony.

Dear Baron (who i tend to like for a strange reason although your posts often make me furious),

- Those were not priestesses but tibetan activists.

- The role of the priestesses is full of honour and the Hellenic Olympic Comittee chooses the priestesses very carefully and with very high criteria.

- Those activists fight for Tibet, for their right of independence. They ask for respect of their heritage and culture. This right of freedom of existence and culture ends there where the freedom of other culture and existence starts.. In this issue they abused disrespectufully hellenic culture and the ethical integrity of Ancient Olympia. They didnt ask for permission, didnt ask for a dialogue with Greek authorities which maybe would have sympathized with their intension. And in contrast with the flames of last year (as you mentioned) which are a force of nature they have a brain, they can think logical and then make a decision which can base on ethos and respect. And this was not the case.

Incidentally, here is what's happening in London:

Schedule for the relay

Wembley 10.30 International dancers on stage at Arena Square, outside Wembley Stadium

Ladbroke Grove 11.00 Mini-carnival with entertainers in carnival masquerade costumes performing to Soca music

Notting Hill Gate 11.20 Carnival del Pueblo Latino carnival band

Oxford Street 12.00 Open-top bus carrying celebrity torchbearer

British Museum 12.20 A fanfare with Greek trumpets in the Great Court

Chinatown 12.30 Costumed dragons and lions perform under Chinese decorations and lanterns on Gerrard Street

Piccadilly Circus 12.40 Convoy passes

Trafalgar Square 12.50 Dance spectacular in front of Nelson’s column, to the accompaniment of a brass fanfare

Southbank Centre 13.30 Spectacular welcome for the torch along the front terraces of the Royal Festival Hall with a choir of 600, Kathak, poetry, circus, hip-hop and beatboxing

Somerset House 14.15 Aletta Collins-choreographed dance accompanied by music from the Bollywood Brass Band

St Paul's Cathedral 14.30 Band of the Scots Guards will welcome the flame with fanfares and music from the cathedral steps

Potter's Fields/More London 15.00 Rhythms of the City and live drumming sessions

Whitechapel Road 15.30 Kinetika perform storytelling, costumes and dance

Stratford 16.00 World-themed carnival with 300 school children, 50 spectacular carnival costumes and nine music floats. An aerial performance will take place at Theatre Square

Canary Wharf 17.00 Carnival themed entertainment including acrobats, jugglers, stilt-walkers, street theatre, music shows, dance performances, face painters, children’s workshops and treasure hunts

North Greenwich 18.00 Grand finale — a free, ticketed event will be a fusion of East meets West, the contemporary and traditional, in a display of Chinese ribbon dancers, an electro-acoustic music act, gymnasts, pyro displays and a performance from the Sugababes.

olympicroute_500x387.jpg

I think they have spoken the best way possible, and i agree with the part that the IOC is not a political, neither an activist organization. However i still think they should, at least, give a little warning to China, instead of still believing that the games will change their politics (are they the only guys on the world who thinks that?)

Watch the video with the rehearsal of the lighting of the Olympic Flame here:

http://www.ethnos.gr/article.asp?catid=114...p;pubid=708388#

They mostly talk about the fire of the summer and the fact that the Kronios hill isn't fully restored.

The ceremony has 3 parts.

The first is the walk of the priestess from the temple of Hera and the lighting of the flame.

The second is a representation from 6 men the sport of Pentathlon.

The third is a representation of the statues that exist on the gables of ancient temples, performed by the priestesses.

Watch the video with the rehearsal of the lighting of the Olympic Flame here:

http://www.ethnos.gr/article.asp?catid=114...p;pubid=708388#

They mostly talk about the fire of the summer and the fact that the Kronios hill isn't fully restored.

The ceremony has 3 parts.

The first is the walk of the priestess from the temple of Hera and the lighting of the flame.

The second is a representation from 6 men the sport of Pentathlon.

The third is a representation of the statues that exist on the gables of ancient temples, performed by the priestesses.

Some questions:

1. I thought the flame was lit by another of my ancestors, Apollo? Where is that? :blink:

2. Why are they all so serious? Don't any of the priestesses smile?

3. How do the Greek and Chinese officials communicate?

1. Actually the high priestess says 'Apollo, God of sun and ideal of light, send your lights and light the holy torch, for the hospitable city of Beijing. And you Zeus give peace to all nations of earth and crown the winners of the holy agon'

So Apollo lights the flame and if we are lucky no one will put it out. That includes bad torches (like Athens 2004) or Tibetians monks that were seen today in Ancient Olympia.

The fight of civilizaitions!

2. After the fires of summer, and looking Ancient Olympia today, I doubt if anyone wants to smile.

3. The majority of Greeks speak English. I'm sure Chinese officials also speak English so there is communication. After all the Chinese officials arrived in Olympia. If they couldn't communicate they would end up in Myconos! Rumours that they wanted 'turkish toilets' to do their job aren't confirmed.

I'm sure you agree that from the Beijing Games is missing the 'shine' of someone...

Img214039978.jpg

I wonder if she will be around.

Well the IOC has just issued this press release:

Statement by Jacques Rogge

well - I think the IOC is trying to do what it could, but on the other hand I think it is taken an easy way out of this matter - the IOC selected China as host and knew that the communist party spurns human rights.

Therefore I demand something more than this "weak" press release (of course I know that this has to be done behind close doors)...

Huh,...!! Bad Torches like Athens 2004? What do you mean by that Pyrros.

Actually the priestess do have a gentle expression but not all the time. It depends on which part of the cremony. There are serious parts and parts where the priestess do smile. You watched just a view seconds of the ceremony.

In Ancient Olympia there have been planted 32.000 new trees (olive trees, wild olives, cypresses..). The largest part of Olympia is in a great condition. Of course the Kronios Hill does not lok like we knew him. This is impossible as the nature didnt had the time to regenerate: after the fires winter came and the spring still hasnt come. The Hill has been cleaned up, works to prevent landslides have been made and trees has be planted. Of course it will take years to the Hill as green as he was.. This is something we already knew.

When the high priestess gave the flame to Gkatsioudis, the torch was lighted and in seconds the flame flew away. Also at the first leg of the relay many torches weren't able to light. Remember the Greek media telling jokes that the torches were manufactured in Australia and it was a sabotage? :-)

Now, see -- THERE's a beautiful smile!!

I think she sill be in Beijing. The once & future OCOG bigwigs usually get tickets.

Why don't they make her 'Priestess for Life'?

Ah yes.. i miss her. I hope she creates the political party all are talking about for the next elections. She would be great as Prime Minister!