St Petersburg 2024

George_D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russia to Bid for Summer Olympics After 2020

MOSCOW, October 5 (RIA Novosti) - Russia is to bid for Summer Games after 2020, the head of the country's Olympic committee Alexander Zhukov said Friday.

The country has its plate full with upcoming international competition as host of the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi and the football World Cup in 2018.

But Zhukov confirmed Russia's intent to bring the Summer Games back to Russia for the first time since 1980, when Moscow staged the event.

"Besides the Winter Olympics, we have a lot of competitions to hold, including the World Cup," Zhukov said in answer to a question from a pupil during a school visit.

"After we've had all this, in the 2020s we will bid for the Summer Olympics," Zhukov said.

Winning bids for Summer Games are announced seven years in advance, meaning the earliest Games the country could bid for in Zhukov's scenario would be in 2028.

http://en.ria.ru/spo.../176426555.html

OK, so Tokyo wins 2020; then

(my projected winner in bold)

2024 - Durban / Paris / Dubai / Baku /Doha

(2026 - Winter Games and World Cup in the US;

2030 - World Cup centennial in Uruguay/Argentina) then

2028 - Amsterdam / St. Petersburg / Hamburg / Rome / Toronto which opens the way for

2032 - Los Angeles / St. Petersburg / Delhi / Melbourne / Busan

2036 - Hamburg / St. Petersburg / Strasbourg / Pittsburg / Madridburg :lol:

Baron, the IOC WILL NOT give the US 2026 and then give them 2032. They'd have to award 2032 before 2026 had even taken place. You're being totally unrealistic.

If the US gets 2026, Canada will end up with 2032 or 2036 and the US will wait until 2048 or 2052 -- over 50 years after Atlanta.

Mark my words....

As for Russia, I'd like to see more Russian Games, but I think even 2028 may be too soon. One of the two Games in the 30s is more likely and it could be longer.

2022 - Munich

2024 - Durban

2026 - Oslo

2028 - Paris

2032 - USA (most likely LA)

Regarding 2026, if the U.S. was to unsuccessful their bid for the 2024 Games, would the USOC change course and shoot for a Winter Olympics? A third Summer Games bid failure after 2012 and 2016 and maybe the USOC a candidate like Reno or Denver gets a shot in 2026. I could see Oslo or another European city winning 2026 for two reasons. 2026 would seem to be too soon to return to Asia after Pyeongchang and while 2026 would seem like a good time for the Winter Olympics to come back to North America, if the USOC really wants a Summer Olympics even after they were to lose 2024 they would likely not bid for 2026 and I don't see Canada putting in another Winter bid if they have their sights on Toronto bidding for a Summer Olympics.

Baron, the IOC WILL NOT give the US 2026 and then give them 2032. They'd have to award 2032 before 2026 had even taken place. You're being totally unrealistic.

If the US gets 2026, Canada will end up with 2032 or 2036 and the US will wait until 2048 or 2052 -- over 50 years after Atlanta.

Why not? Salt Lake was awarded a year before Atlanta came on. Y can't the reverse work? It all depends on who the bidders are. And 2026 is really destined to be North America's turn again. Why lose that oppty for the very-difficult-to-get sweaty Summer Games. Let Ontario go bankrupt like Quebec did for 1976.

Hate to jump in this late, but does anyone considered that the 2018 World Cup host cities may define Russia's next olympic applicant? It kinda worked this way for South Africa. Before 2010 it seemed Capetown was the one and only option, but Durban came as one of the high points of 2010 and a future bid is not unlikely.

The same may work for Russia with Moscow, St. Petersburg and a very big maybe for the likes of Kazan...

Why not? Salt Lake was awarded a year before Atlanta came on. Y can't the reverse work?

There are many reasons why the reverse can't work.

If close hostings are going to happen at all (and I think it's extremely doubtful) Summer MUST come first, followed by Winter. The IOC is hard pressed for Winter candidates and they have a world of options for Summer ones.

Look at what's happened to all the Winter consolation prize winners -- Torino, Vancouver, Sochi -- none would have or COULD have followed up with summer Games six years later.

Rome 2012?

Toronto 2016?

Moscow 2020?

Ridiculous. It wouldn't work for them and there's no possible way it will work for the US. And as you well know, the attitude towards the US has cooled considerably since the 90s when Atlanta and SLC were awarded. .The answer is NO.

American Games in both 2026 and 2032 are categorically impossible.

Among other things, it's pretty clear the IOC considers the frequent American hostings of the past to be a mistake rather than a precedent. Russia has figured this out. 2028 is 14 years after Sochi. In my opinion, that's the smallest gap ANY country can contemplate between Games.

All three of those cities did not make a bid.

Right because they were smart enough to know it was pointless.

I propose this:

2024 olympics: New York

2026 FIFA WC: USA

2026 Winter olympics: any US city bid

I don't understand your post. It seems needlessly argumentative. I am saying American Games will be spaced farther apart. Anyone who disagrees is fooling themselves.

If Durban bids for 2024, it would be pointless and wasteful for any other AAA city to bid. There will only be ONE winner, and that will go to the still ignored continent which has proven it CAN host.

It's proven it can host an international single sport event in multiple cities. As El Moutawakel pointed out, it hasn't proven it can host 23 world championships simultaneously in one city. That's a totally different scenario.

There's also no guarantee that we will know if Durban is bidding until the day the bids are due. And by then it's really too late. Either you're in or you're out. Either Durban's there or they are not. There's no way to forecast this with certainty.

If Durban bids for 2024, it would be pointless and wasteful for any other AAA city to bid. There will only be ONE winner, and that will go to the still ignored continent which has proven it CAN host.

South Africa had the same experience in 2006 FIFA World cup bid but they lost

South Africa had the same experience in 2006 FIFA World cup bid but they lost

Well, yeah, but the 2010 World Cup was proof enough.

There's also no guarantee that we will know if Durban is bidding until the day the bids are due. And by then it's really too late. Either you're in or you're out. Either Durban's there or they are not. There's no way to forecast this with certainty.

They will bid. Mark my words. ;)

They might bid. Totally possible. It's also possible they won't.

More to the point, if El Moutawakel is worried about their technical ability that means its not a shoo-in. They still have to prove themselves.

If SA bids and if they prove themselves capable, they're unbeatable. They must check both those boxes, though.

There's no way any other country can know whether SA can check both of those boxes before investing a whole lot of time and money on their own bid. No matter what, it's a gamble.

I don't see any benefit to playing it safe.

Y'all need to wake up and smell the starbucks on South Africa. No matter what continent it is on, it ain't hosting no IOC jamboree until the 30's at the earliest. The World Cup ain't no indicator of sh!t. Brazil hosted it in the 50's, Argentina in the 80's and Mexico twice. The International Olympic Committee of the rich, privileged and athletic ain't gonna go slummin' it in no Durban when the likes of Shanghai, Tokyo, Melbourne, New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Madrid, Rome, Istanbul, Paris, Berlin, Hamburg, St. Petersburg, Moscow, and Amsterdam have gotten all hot and bothered for gettin’ them some Olympic lovin’.

Them IOC geezers gonna be none too happy if Europe be goin’ 16 years without the big show. Sh!t y’all foolin’ yourselves thinking they gonna be givin’ them there games to Tokyo and follow them Japs up with some Africans. IOC gonna be goin’ where it goin’ in their own time and in their own minds. Not anything you people be spottin’ off gonna change that.

South Africa be politically unstable, one party rule with party knives out for the leader ever couple years, 25% unemployment, horrendous poverty and there is no experience with massive, multi-sport events.

Sh!t y’all be trippin’.

It's proven it can host an international single sport event in multiple cities. As El Moutawakel pointed out, it hasn't proven it can host 23 world championships simultaneously in one city. That's a totally different scenario.

See above. I certainly haven't anointed South Africa -- unlike Baron.

But you see, proclaiming Durban 2024 a fait accompli serves Baron's agenda...

Not like you are innocent Athens, you were one of those that bashed el Moutawakel for voicing concerns about SA's ability to host yourself. FYI and you make quite a pair.

What? I don't know what you're talking about. Honestly. Please reference the post.

I like Nawal.

I know someone said she was just gunning for Casablanca, but that wasn't me.

I agree with her reservations about Durban, but if I recall she seemed to suggest it would be quite a long time before they would host.

I'm not so sure about that -- mainly because Rogge's been campaigning so hard for African Games. Ready or not the IOC is going to Africa relatively soon, but I'm not convinced it will be in 2024.

Archived