St Petersburg 2024

George_D

Top official says St. Petersburg 2024 Olympics plan has support

The city of St. Petersburg is capable of holding the 2024 Summer Olympics, and the idea has significant support in the government, Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Kozak said Thursday.

Kozak is responsible for delivering the 2014 Winter Games in the southern Black Sea resort city of Sochi, and said the northern capital would play worthy host to the world’s biggest sporting event.

“In principle, this ambition has support,” Kozak said, adding authorities would wait to see how the economy might play out before making any decisions. “The city of St. Petersburg is up to the task of holding the Summer Games of 2024.”

After Sochi was granted the hosting rights to the Winter Games at an International Olympic Committee session in 2007, officials in St. Petersburg including then-governor Valentina Matvienko raised the possibility of brining the sister competition to the city.

That came after several bids by local officials failed to get off the ground.

London hosts the next Games in 2012, with Rio de Janeiro following in 2016. Six cities from are bidding to hold the 2020 Olympics; the IOC votes for the winner in 2013.

Russia has held the Summer Games before, in Moscow in 1980.

The country is on a drive to attract the world’s top sporting competitions in an apparent push led by Prime Minister Vladimir Putin to boost its image abroad.

Billions of dollars are being spent sprucing up the country’s dilapidated Soviet-era infrastructure to cope with the demands of holding top class events and catering for massive tourist influxes.

At least $30 billion worth of investment has gone into transforming Sochi and its mountains into a world class winter sports destination, while Putin has promised at least $10 billion for the 13 stadiums and associated upgrades of the 2018 football World Cup.

Russia is also the venue for the 2013 University Games, Formula 1 motor racing starting in 2014, and the 2016 World Hockey Championships.

http://en.rian.ru/sp.../168104756.html

46400.jpg

Russia considers new Olympic bid

One Olympics, it seems, is not quite enough – with preparations underway to hold the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, St. Petersburg is weighing up a bid to bring the 2024 Summer Games to Russia.

If the northern capital is successful, it will add yet another high-profile sporting event to Russia’s roster, which already boasts the 2013 Universiade, the 2016 World Hockey Championships and the 2018 FIFA World Cup as well as Sochi 2014.

It would also bring the summer showcase back to the country for the first time since Moscow hosted in 1980 (pictured above)

Alexander Zhukov, head of Russia’s Olympic Committee, told Around the Rings, the official Olympic news site, that the country believes major events play a vital role in improving the quality of life for all Russians.

“Our policy is to have more big championships to promote a healthier style of life in Russia and have more children in different kinds of sports,” he said. “That is our aim as an Olympic committee and an Olympic movement.”

Old idea

St. Petersburg first considered an Olympic bid four years ago, but there was little support from the government at that time, Moskovskiye Novosti reported.

Earlier, in 2005, Moscow’s bid for the 2012 games was dismissed and there was little will to risk a repeat failure.

But the successes of Sochi and the World Cup bids has changed official attitudes, Marat Bariev, of the Olympic Committee, told the newspaper that there was presidential support to bring big events to the country.

However, Bariev added that the plans were still at an early stage and there were potential rival bidders within Russia: Kazan, building on its Universiade development, and Vladivostok, currently gearing towards the APEC summit.

And even troubled Dagestan is interested in getting in on the act, though currently the region is looking towards the 2018 student games.

Spin-off benefits

All these major events are regarded as a key driver of infrastructure changes, with the FIFA World Cup prompting a major upgrade of rail services across the country.

Provincial airports are also in line for better transport links and the country’s sports facilities are in line for a major upgrade – at least in some areas.

The positive spin is that these events make everyday life better, as Dmitry Belousov of the Center for Macroeconomic Analysis and Short-term Forecasting told MN.

“The 2014 Olympics helped to solve several problems in the south,” he said. “An Olympic-level tournament could also give impetus to development in the troubled Far East.”

But others are critical: the Sochi games have angered environmentalists and residents while the pressure is on to ensure that the benefits of 2018 are evenly shared.

Belousov concedes that it is unclear why this long-term planning revolves solely around sport, but adds that this is, at least, better than nothing.

http://themoscownews.../188859291.html

168105608.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes USA with last olympics in 1996 has a chance

Russia with last olympics in 1980 hasnt?

In the same logic USA hasnt a chance until 2048

Dude, Russians are hosting Winter in 16 months. They'll be busy with World Cup after that.

What Russian companies are TOP sponsors? Does Russian TV support the IOC in billions? That's why.

The US will get Winter 2026.

God, all these weevils are coming out of the woodwork. R they serious? I'd say not until 2032 would St. Pete have a chance.

Sochi would be a handicap, of course, but not insurmountable IMO. As a "fresh" hosting face, though, I wouldn't rule them out of a line up of Paris, Berlin, Rome etc.

I assume there's enough time gone now that SP's Goodwill games fiasco is only remembered by the likes of us.

I'd love to see Russia's second Summer Games be in St. Petersburg. I've been to both Moscow and St. Petersburg and I think the latter is far more sophisticated and candid, unlike the bold and somewhat overbearing Moscow. Soviet Union of 1980 is gone. If the Summer Olympics go to Russia in the next 20 years, id love to see St. P.

A new Summer Games host for a new Russia. Almost like Munich 1972 contrasting Berlin in a new Germany - a St. Petersburg Olympics would mean that for Russia.

... Although I feel too that 2014 is sufficiently providing that contrast too

Sochi would be a handicap, of course, but not insurmountable IMO. As a "fresh" hosting face, though, I wouldn't rule them out of a line up of Paris, Berlin, Rome etc.

I'd agree. But in a line-up like that, plus then maybe add the U.S., South Africa & the 2020 losers in the mix, then the "Russki's" would truly have their work cut out for them.

Oh no please not. i think the Winter Games AND the World Cup are enough for Russia til late 30´s.

But as we all know the Russkis have a lot of money to change the decision of the IOC.

But I also think that SP would be much better than Moscow.

I'd agree that 2024 would be too soon for Russia, but it would all depend on who else is bidding, too. If we don't get Paris &/or no South Africa, & no USA either, then I could see the probability of 2024 going Russia's way, provided that they have a good & viable plan.

And if it's a different city, especially one that's still notable like St. Petersburg, I'd say that would even further their odds compared to offering up Moscow again, considering that they're still not too much of a distant host. i.e. 1980. It's what many cite against another L.A. bid, that it's still too soon after 1984. Plus, I'm sure depending on how well Sochi 2014 goes, that would further influence the voters.

It's worth remembering that it's entirely possible that 2024 won't feature South Africa, France or the USA -- all of whom would be presumptive favorites -- if they bid. 2024 could wind up being Toronto, St. Petersburg and Istanbul (or Tokyo).

I do think it is worth remembering that when we compare the US to other countries we are not comparing apples to apples. Yes, the USSR hosted in 1980 and LA hosted in 1984 (followed by Atlanta in 1996). However the USA plays a much more key role in the Olympic movement (broadcasting rights, TOP sponsors, audience share, etc). I am not saying the US is "entitled" to more Games than others. As I've written many times, I HATE it when people make that argument and I shrink with embarrassment. I am just saying that I think it is reasonable for the US to bid somewhat more frequently than other countries and to believe there is a good chance their efforts may succeed.

I don't think there's any chance that the IOC would give the USA the Winter Games, that FIFA would give them the World Cup four years later and that the IOC would top it off with Summer Games a mere six years after that. (Yes, yes I know the history with World Cup 1994, Atlanta 96' and SLC '02, but those days are gone.) If it isn't going to happen for the US, it's very difficult for me to imagine it working out for Russia. Of course it's possible, but I think it's pretty unlikely.

Archived