2014 World Cup News

Bezzi

http://copadomundo.uol.com.br/noticias/redacao/2013/11/11/fifa-esgota-ingressos-regulares-da-copa-venda-reabre-dia-812.htm

Second phase of tickets was sold out in barely 3 hours...

And the international press was worried about "empty seats" in Brazil

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be fair, Mr. Danny. We should not say "the international press". As far as I know we only heard of one RETARDED "journalist" spouting this bullshit. Not even the idiotic journalists from the Queen's land would say such absurd thing.

Anyways, I'll post more facts to help Mr. Athensfan change his stance. At first he chose to believe in an ignorant person instead of us, just because he wrote in a newspaper (like if it meant anything in today's world).

WC 2010: After FIFA's 1st stage of ticket sells - 1.8M requests; 70% of the requests came from foreigners, 30% from locals.

WC 2014: After FIFA's 1st stage of ticket sells, 6.2M requests ; 29% were foreigners, 71% from locals.

Still, 50% more foreigners applied to get tickets to Brazil 2014 than in SA 2010.

Remembering: Only 6.6M tickets are available. FIFA could've sold 90% of tickets in this 1st stage. But obviously they wont, they want to Make more money and give tickets to corporations and tourism agencies all over the world.

Let's be fair, Mr. Danny. We should not say "the international press". As far as I know we only heard of one RETARDED "journalist" spouting this bullshit. Not even the idiotic journalists from the Queen's land would say such absurd thing.

It was not the first time I read an absurd like that from some big media from abroad.

Still, it seems there is something deeper than only selling tickets: no-shows.

And FIFA is trying a new system or resells of unwanted tickets to avoid no-shows and have the stadiums full in all matches.

And, of course, our friend from USA Today had no idea about World Cup nor no-shows nor Brazil.

A simple Google about Confederations Cup would be enough to avoid a ridiculous article like that one.

Anyways, I'll post more facts to help Mr. Athensfan change his stance. At first he chose to believe in an ignorant person instead of us, just because he wrote in a newspaper (like if it meant anything in today's world).

WC 2010: After FIFA's 1st stage of ticket sells - 1.8M requests; 70% of the requests came from foreigners, 30% from locals.

WC 2014: After FIFA's 1st stage of ticket sells, 6.2M requests ; 29% were foreigners, 71% from locals.

Still, 50% more foreigners applied to get tickets to Brazil 2014 than in SA 2010.

Remembering: Only 6.6M tickets are available. FIFA could've sold 90% of tickets in this 1st stage. But obviously they wont, they want to Make more money and give tickets to corporations and tourism agencies all over the world.

It's even easier to compare by taking the mood of Europeans here about the World Cup in Brazil. Robh is one that says every single time that the World Cup in Brazil will be special because the history of Brazil in the sport... This alone is a good reason to make people who love football to come to the country.

FIFA Extends Adidas Partnership to 60 Years With New Accord

Soccer governing body FIFA signed a new accord with Adidas AG (ADS) through 2030, extending one of sports’ oldest commercial relationships to 60 years.

FIFA didn’t disclose financial details of the agreement with the second-biggest sporting goods manufacturer, a sponsor since the 1970 World Cup. The Herzogenaurach, Germany-based company said Nov. 7 it expects the build-up to next year’s World Cup in Brazil to boost revenue in the current quarter.

The quadrennial event is responsible for more than 90 percent of FIFA’s income, which last year topped $1.1 billion, including about $350 million from World Cup-related sponsorships.

Adidas has been “at the heart of the action at every tournament since the 1970 FIFA World Cup,” the ruling body’s marketing director Thierry Weil said in an e-mailed statement. Adidas will unveil its official match ball ahead of the Dec. 6 draw for the 32-team event.

“We are delighted that this long-term strategic partnership will continue until at least 2030 and we are looking forward to writing new chapters of football history together,” Weil added.

The contract extension comes six months after FIFA President Sepp Blatter said his organization had “emerged from troubled waters” following a reform program it was forced to embark on. Corruption allegations against several high-ranking FIFA officials led to calls for change from stakeholders including sponsors such as Adidas.

Nike Rivalry

“It was a natural step for us to extend one of the most successful partnerships in the history of sports marketing,” Adidas Chief Executive Officer Herbert Hainer said. “This unique partnership and our extensive presence at all FIFA World Cups will help us to expand Adidas’s position as the leading football brand worldwide.”

Adidas has been battling with Nike Inc. (NKE), the biggest sporting goods retailer, for supremacy in the soccer market. Hainer said on a Nov. 7 conference call that soccer sales will rise to a record 2 billion euros ($2.7 billion) next year.

National jerseys including those for Germany, world champion Spain and Argentina were released last week and the company also this month released a “Samba” range of brightly colored footwear worn by players including Barcelona’s four-time world player of the year Lionel Messi and Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale, soccer’s most expensive transfer. The rivalry with Nike is likely to intensify in the coming days as the Beaverton, Oregon-based company prepares to unveil its latest version of the jersey worn by record five-time champion Brazil.

In May, FIFA said its World Cup sponsorship program was complete after Grupo SBF’s Centauro unit, Latin America’s largest sporting goods retailer, signed a deal to become the final national sponsor of the monthlong tournament. Global sponsorship packages for the 2014 World Cup sold out in July 2011 when FIFA signed Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), the world’s biggest seller of health-care products.

Brazil will open the competition on June 12 in Sao Paulo. The final is in Rio de Janeiro on July 13.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-21/fifa-extends-adidas-partnership-to-60-years-with-new-accord.html

World Cup - Blatter: FIFA could rethink midday Brazil starts FIFA could reconsider its controversial decision to schedule some of next year's World Cup matches at midday in tropical venues, the body's president Sepp Blatter suggested on Friday in an apparent U-turn.

Blatter said FIFA had received a number of appeals to rethink its decision which has angered, among others, the world players' union FIFPro.

"That is a good question, I will take up the question again, we will have a meeting of not only the organising committee but the FIFA executive committee and (in December) in Salvador (Brazil)," he told reporters.

"We have received different pleas, letters and demands concerning the time schedule which has been established but which has not yet been sanctioned," he said. "We will speak on that."

Last year, Blatter shrugged off criticism of the scheduling which would mean matches being played in the hottest part of the day.

"The history of football has shown that great players can play in all conditions," he said then.

"In Mexico in 1970 and 1986, we played at high noon, at 2,400 metres and the quality of the game did not suffer.

"You know that in difficult conditions you can stop the game, you can cool down, and have drinks. You will remember 25 years ago, the referees said it was forbidden to drink water during the matches and now all that has been changed."

Although the June 12-July 13 World Cup will take place in southern Brazil's winter, tropical conditions will prevail in the north of the country where two matches in each of Natal, Salvador and Recife have been scheduled for 1300 local time, plus one in Fortaleza.

There will also be two 1500 kickoffs in Manaus, in the heart of the Amazon rain forest

Reuters

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-fifa-rethink-midday-world-cup-starts-blat

^^That's ridiculous... The summer in Europe is warmer than winter in Brazil, despite some high temperatures in Manaus that can reach 35ºC in june-july...

The World Cup in the American summer was far worse... Not to mention the World Cup in Mexico...

____

Changing subjects:

Brazil jersey was finally unveiled
84755.jpg

84756.JPG

Camisa-selecao-Foto-Paulo-SergioLancepre

84766.jpg

Except for 1994 and 2002 (curiously when Brazil was champions), the jerseys of Brazil are very simple and conservative and I like it very much.

^^That's ridiculous... The summer in Europe is warmer than winter in Brazil, despite some high temperatures in Manaus that can reach 35ºC in june-july...

The World Cup in the American summer was far worse... Not to mention the World Cup in Mexico...

____

Changing subjects:

Brazil jersey was finally unveiled

84755.jpg

84756.JPG

Camisa-selecao-Foto-Paulo-SergioLancepre

84766.jpg

The ticket sales in 1994 were record-setting. I think you have some facts backwards.

The ticket sales in 1994 were record-setting. I think you have some facts backwards.

I'm talking in favour of 1994 World Cup, the greatest WC of all time

I said the World Cup in USA was much more warmer (worse in terms of high termperatures) than the World Cup in South American winter, despite Brazil be located in the tropics.

You didn't get what I meant

SAO PAULO (AP) -- Part of the stadium that will host the World Cup opener in Brazil next year collapsed on Wednesday, causing significant damage and killing three people, authorities said.

The accident could delay the delivery of the stadium in Sao Paulo by FIFA's December deadline to have all 12 venues ready. The Itaquerao Stadium was practically completed before the collapse.

Television images showed that a huge metal structure buckled atop the stadium, destroying part of the stands in the east side of the venue. A LED panel installed outside the venue also was hit.

Firefighter official Mauro Lopes said in a radio interview that at least three people died in the accident, which apparently happened when a crane collapsed on top of the metal structure.

AP

Terrible news!

Reminds me of this stadium accident a few years ago:

media_xl_887160.jpg

Exactly what i first thought of: FC Twente stadium in July 2011.

This is a tragedy. In the first place for the victims and their loved-ones.

I don't think this stadium will make the deadline. But who cares after this. I hope FIFA will give the organization some slack.

What a terrible day for Sao Paulo city along with the early elimination on the Expo 2020 election... My condolences to the families of the dead people in this terrible accident.

Hope this does not bring a big delay on delivering the roof of Arena Corinthians

This does not inspire confidence. This is what happens when you rush.

It's hard to me to say: I agree, specially because I was reading about this very stadium lately...

I do hope people from the owner club be more humble now and sticky to the reality...

Any chance of Opening being moved? minerao Brasilia ?

I don't think it will be changed, FIFA will give more deadline to Corinthians and the destruction was not big. Maybe they'll need one or two months more to solve the issue.

Still, justice can stop the works and if this happen, we will have a serious chance of moving all the matches planned to be played in Sao Paulo.

And Brasilia would be my bet for the Opening Match in FIFA World Cup.

And the other matches would be split among the stadiums with fewer matches planned.

UPDATE:

Two people died in the accident.

The works are stopped until next monday.

LOC says, so far, no plans for chaning the Opening Match from Sao Paulo.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/times/corinthians/noticia/2013/11/acidente-na-arena-corinthians.html

Danny? What do you mean by 'justice can stop the works'? Is there a court case still on related to construction? Oh, & IMO, opening should be in Brasilia anyway. Bigger, better stadium, & it's probably more well known overseas than Sao Paulo.

We have something called Ministério Público, it's a kind of a public independent prosecutor.

They can ask some judge to stop the works until have guarantees no more accidents would happen. It's basically similar to what happened in Curitiba, but, in this very case, we had an accident already and this can lead to a bigger suit and biggers discussions in the courts... And when we talk about bureaucracy in Brazil...

Gosh, just hope this does not go to Justice.

Let's wait n see.

IMO, Sao Paulo is more well known abroad than Brasilia.

May the souls rest in peace.

Have to investigate the cause of this horrible accident.So the progress of the construction will be interrupted and as a matter of fact we may see delay.

I do wish success.But only half a year is probably not enough period to complete it.

May the souls rest in peace.

Have to investigate the cause of this horrible accident.So the progress of the construction will be interrupted and as a matter of fact we may see delay.

I do wish success.But only half a year is probably not enough period to complete it.

I think we will get all of these answers in the next week...

I do hope they don't change the Opening Match from Sao Paulo...

World Cup 2014: No plans to move tournament from Brazil _70963452_bensmith.jpg

By Ben Smith BBC Sport

Fifa says it has no plans to move the 2014 World Cup away from Brazil despite the latest setback to preparations for next summer's tournament.

Two workmen were killed as a crane fell and destroyed parts of Sao Paulo's Arena Corinthians stadium.

Brazil are due to play the opening match of the World Cup in the 65,000 capacity venue in less than 200 days.

Senior sources within world football's governing body continue to insist "there is no plan B" for the World Cup.

World Cup 2014 - the big picture
Ben Smith BBC Sport

"Against the backdrop of protests and social discontent, concerns over infrastructure and fears about crime in Brazil's major cities, the accident in Sao Paulo turns what has been a drip of bad news into a downpour."

Brazil has already admitted it is struggling to get all 12 venues completed for the tournament.

Six were ready for last summer's Confederations Cup but it is a race against time to finish the remaining six.

Wednesday's accident is the third to have caused deaths in World Cup stadiums in Brazil, with two construction workers having previously been killed during the past two years.

An investigation into the cause of the accident in Sao Paulo is expected to begin on Thursday.

Arena Corinthians, which will stage five further World Cup games, including a semi-final, in addition to the opening fixture, was due to be completed at the end of December to meet a Fifa deadline.

After the World Cup the stadium - also known as the Itaquerao - is expected to accommodate nearly 50,000 people. However, at Fifa's request, 20,000 temporary seats are to be added ahead of the tournament.

Mexico stepped in to host the 1986 World Cup after Columbia said it could not do so in 1982, largely because of economic reasons.

A year later, Mexico was selected as the new host and held the tournament 16 years after doing so for the first time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25136562

BBC already pushing a "move the World Cup from Brazil" issue....... Typical.

It's easier to split the matches that are planned to be played in Sao Paulo among the other host cities than take the entire World Cup from Brazil to sent it - maybe - to England...

What is the problem with BBC guys???

And I bet 2 dollars that no match will be moved from Sao Paulo, and IMO, none should be moved, just fix the problem in the stadium by giving Sao Paulo some more deadline... That's so easy.

Archived