Winter 2022

Y the almost change of heart for Denver all of the sudden? U use to B so hell-bent that Denver wouldn't even get a sniff from the USOC, let alone the IOC. N now u practically have them annointed as the USOC pick. Just curious.

I still prefer Tahoe-Reno; but if Denver should have the votes, then so be it. But they would need a 2-pronged approach more than Tahoe.

One final point. Also, should Denver get the nod again, I think it will have to be prepared for a 2-bid cycle: 2022 to expiate for its 1976 transgression and say how sorry they are; and to go for the win in 2026. That's the only way for a Denver win.

They'll need to sort out the route to Vail first

They're NOT going to get $15 billion for a seasonal light rail line for well-heeled ski bunnies. For $1 billion, they could get a second village in Vail. That could alleviate whatever gridlock there might be.

And that's probably what they'll propose, anyway. A 2nd village is much more practical & for a fraction of the cost. And it's not like it hasn't been done before. Cuz where else are they gonna get the billions for the transportation upgrades, besides themselves. N the citizens of Colorado won't go for it for an Olympics.

They'll need to sort out the route to Vail first

That's not an impossibility and it's something they really should do anyway -- whether they host the Games or not.

The link between Vail and Denver is in better shape now then Vancouver-Whistler was pre-Olympics. I am also fairly sure the Vail/Beaver Creek resort area has more hotel rooms. I think that road improvements would be the way to go. Also I think that a major hotel chain (Hilton, Starwood, Fairmont etc) would be a lot more willing to build a village and turn it into a hotel in Vail, then they would have in Whistler.

Denver needs to better utilize the transportation they have and use the considerable amount of infrastructure money they are getting as is to make the system even better. Specifically a rail link between DIA and Union Station. They only have one bus that makes the trip every hour and its almost an hour drive from DIA to the 16th street mall.

As a comparison to SLC, they each had/have their strengths and weaknesses but no weakness of Denver would exclude them.

Has anyone read this:

"Along with the 2020 bidders, delegates linked to possible Olympic bids from Argentina (2018 YOG), :DCanada (Toronto 2024?) , Germany, Netherlands, Russia, Switzerland (Switzerland bid for 2022), Ukraine (Lviv 2022?) and the U.S. are here. (Reno/Tahoe and Denver. A delegation is also here from North Carolina)"

Has anyone read this:

"Along with the 2020 bidders, delegates linked to possible Olympic bids from Argentina (2018 YOG), :DCanada (Toronto 2024?) , Germany, Netherlands, Russia, Switzerland (Switzerland bid for 2022), Ukraine (Lviv 2022?) and the U.S. are here. (Reno/Tahoe and Denver. A delegation is also here from North Carolina)"

Where is "here"? When you quote something, at least give the reference or the link.

Notice that for the U.S. that there is no Chicago nor New York. Only Los Angeles is there, which is not all that surprising. And Denver looks like it's really starting to show some interest if they're there, too. Reno, no surprise. They've been wanting this thing forever now. And as for Canada, it could be Quebec City. Their mayor said no to a 2022 bid, but he didn't rule out a possible future bid.

baron, this is the article he's referencing (am I gonna get in trouble for linking to Around The Rings?!? :blink: )..

On the Scene -- Olympic Hopefuls Seek Wisdom in Lausanne

Thanks, Quake. That's already the 2nd one this year. There was another one in May which for the US, also saw reps from Reno, Denver, Dallas, and yes, Tulsa.

Thanks, Quake. That's already the 2nd one this year. There was another one in May which for the US, also saw reps from Reno, Denver, Dallas, and yes, Tulsa.

I remember that one. Pretty sure I remember laughing at it. I think this probably reinforces that we're going to see some sort of competition from the USOC for 2022. Definitely seems like there's 2 interested parties here and considering there's only 1 prospective summer host, I think we might be headed towards another Winter Olympics in the United States before a Summer, whether that's the smart play or not. And I remain very interested to see what Reno-Tahoe and Denver each have to offer.

I agree. N like I said in one of these other threads like a month or so ago, I think the lack of compelling Summer candidates will help determine of which way the USOC will turn to, as far as bids are concerned.

And now that it appears that Denver is pretty serious about this, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt N C what they have to offer. Anything that they put on the table, though, will have to be backed-up by financial guarantees before the IOC even ganders their way.

Has anyone read this:

Rotterdam is thinking about a YOG bid, Germany with Munich. Russia wants a summer games, North Carolina wants to bid with Raleigh-Durham for a YOG.

Notice that for the U.S. that there is no Chicago nor New York. Only Los Angeles is there, which is not all that surprising. And Denver looks like it's really starting to show some interest if they're there, too. Reno, no surprise. They've been wanting this thing forever now. And as for Canada, it could be Quebec City. Their mayor said no to a 2022 bid, but he didn't rule out a possible future bid.

I agree. N like I said in one of these other threads like a month or so ago, I think the lack of compelling Summer candidates will help determine of which way the USOC will turn to, as far as bids are concerned.

And now that it appears that Denver is pretty serious about this, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt N C what they have to offer. Anything that they put on the table, though, will have to be backed-up by financial guarantees before the IOC even ganders their way.

Denver has always been serious, they have been in the planning and exploration stage since 2007. They were just waiting for the right time.

It's interesting that LA is the only potential summer candidate, but it's still just one conference four years before the IOC starts taking applications for 2024.

As for Denver, they have been serious for years. They were serious about 2018.

The IOC will not start taking 2024 applications 'til obviously 4 years from now, but like I've said before, & I'll say it again; the USOC, & whichever cities might be interested in 2024, will have to start their bids soon. The USOC will have to start a domestic process within the next couple of years.

And if Denver has always been "serious", then all the more reasons for interested parties for 2024 to start speaking up now if they don't want Denver or Reno stealing their thunder & chances at 2024. Cause New York or Chicago or whomever, can't start running to IOC headquaters in Lausaunne at 11:59 PM deadline day & say; "phewww, made IT! That was a close one!". Doesn't work that way.

This conference is/was a good way for U.S. cities who might've been interested for 2024 to see how it goes/works & to start/continue relations with IOC (voting) members. It's never too early to get something going when the coveted prize is so great & sought for by many.

The IOC will not start taking 2024 applications 'til obviously 4 years from now, but like I've said before, & I'll say it again; the USOC, & whichever cities might be interested in 2024, will have to start their bids soon. The USOC will have to start a domestic process within the next couple of years.

And if Denver has always been "serious", then all the more reasons for interested parties for 2024 to start speaking up now if they don't want Denver or Reno stealing their thunder & chances at 2024. Cause New York or Chicago or whomever, can't start running to IOC headquaters in Lausaunne at 11:59 PM deadline day & say; "phewww, made IT! That was a close one!". Doesn't work that way.

This conference is/was a good way for U.S. cities who might've been interested for 2024 to see how it goes/works & to start/continue relations with IOC (voting) members. It's never too early to get something going when the coveted prize is so great & sought for by many.

New York and Chicago already know how it works. The only reasonable bidder that should be getting things on paper and start planning is San Francisco. They would have more red tape and issues then trying to get someone out of Iranian prison. Los Angeles is just, well weird, I know they have hosted twice previously but the transportation and logistics issues now would affect LA more then the other 3 US cities with a real chance of being elected.

New York and Chicago already know how it works.

Still, Y not be there. What could it bother to further the cause, like trying to play nice with the IOC. Still hasn't stop L.A. from being there.

It's been noted that the USOC's mission is to try & mend relations with the IOC. Simply because New York & Chicago "already know" how it works shouldn't impede that mission by not furthering it along. Like with anything else in life, you can never stop from learning since there's always something new. Especially in New York's case, when their bid was even further back than Chicago's more recent attempt.