FIFA WC USA-Mexico-Canada 2026

Kenadian

• 4 weeks later...

Mexico to bid for third World Cup

Mexico are preparing a bid to host the 2026 World Cup and are expecting tough competition from the United States.

If successful, it would be the third time the Central American country has hosted the tournament after staging the 1970 and 1986 World Cups.

No other country has ever hosted the finals three times.

Mexican football federation (FEMEXFUT) president Justino Compean told local media: "Mexico was a great host in 1970 and 1986, so we are indeed going to bid.

"We want to have the World Cup here again, but we know there will be strong competition from the United States.

"Our football infrastructure keeps growing and that means hosting the World Cup in Mexico is feasible."

Mexico initially put in a bid for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, which will be hosted by Russia and Qatar respectively, but pulled out of the running before the vote.

Compean said a World Cup in the US would still be good for Mexico.

He added: "We are three hours from the border and we have millions of our nationals living on the other side so it would be like we were a home team."

UKPA

Mexico to bid for third World Cup

Mexico are preparing a bid to host the 2026 World Cup and are expecting tough competition from the United States.

If successful, it would be the third time the Central American country has hosted the tournament after staging the 1970 and 1986 World Cups.

No other country has ever hosted the finals three times.

Mexican football federation (FEMEXFUT) president Justino Compean told local media: "Mexico was a great host in 1970 and 1986, so we are indeed going to bid.

"We want to have the World Cup here again, but we know there will be strong competition from the United States.

"Our football infrastructure keeps growing and that means hosting the World Cup in Mexico is feasible."

Mexico initially put in a bid for the 2018 and 2022 tournaments, which will be hosted by Russia and Qatar respectively, but pulled out of the running before the vote.

Compean said a World Cup in the US would still be good for Mexico.

He added: "We are three hours from the border and we have millions of our nationals living on the other side so it would be like we were a home team."

UKPA

If they, the US and Canada bid for 2026, that means 2026 will definitely land in North America. But with the Mexican drug lords a shadow gov't for Mexico, are they really serious?

Canada has seen what happens to a country like theirs when put through the FIFA World Cup bidding mill. Why Canada would see what happened to Australia and then jump into FIFA's bidding process God only knows.

This isn't merely about the last World Cup bidding process either. The head of the FIFA reform process admitted yesterday there's resistance within FIFA to change, and has resorted to asking the public and governments to put pressure on FIFA (i.e. do his job for him because he's hitting a brick wall).

Unless Canada promises the Whole World to FIFA, comparisons with Qatar are silly. Yes, neither have footballing history to match what their rivals will likely have, but that doesn't mean "anything goes" in FIFA or that Qatar offers hope to countries like Canada. Quite the opposite in fact. To my mind, Australia offers the best parallel to Canada, not Qatar.

How much things will change under Platini we'll have to see. We are after all talking about a FIFA which will be under his leadership (another coronation?). But if things stay much as they are now Canada would best off keeping well away. As Faster said in another thread, it'd be quite cool to see Canada taking Rugby more seriously actually.

If they, the US and Canada bid for 2026, that means 2026 will definitely land in North America. But with the Mexican drug lords a shadow gov't for Mexico, are they really serious?

I hate to say that, but I agree. They are crazy enough to think another World Cup especially when parts of Mexico are in control of drug lords, especially in the northern territory. But this is part of a political strategy: The perfect circus by the people is football soccer.

Europe has a lot of countries that could host a world cup. They should allowed to bid more often. England, Spain, Italy could host the world cup. Europe can not be compared with North America that has 2-3 countries able to organize such a competition or with south America that also has 1-2, or with Africa that technically has only south Africa or morocco. It is very stupid

I think the rotation should be sth like this

1st: America (south and north)

2nd: Europe

3rd: Asia, Africa and Australia

Nevermind England, four World Cups in a row outside of Europe?!

That's why I question the theory that people seem to think 2030 is headed for Argentina/Uruguay just because of the centennial (how'd that work out for Athens in 1996). They're going to make Europe, with all the willing and able countries they have, wait another cycle just to go to South America for the 2nd time in 16 years? I think George_D's thinking is right on the money. Europe gets every 3rd Cup. The other 2 in between can rotate between the other 5 confederations (really 4 since OFC doesn't have a capable host.. remember that Australia is part of the AFC).

• Like 3

That's why I question the theory that people seem to think 2030 is headed for Argentina/Uruguay just because of the centennial (how'd that work out for Athens in 1996). They're going to make Europe, with all the willing and able countries they have, wait another cycle just to go to South America for the 2nd time in 16 years? I think George_D's thinking is right on the money. Europe gets every 3rd Cup. The other 2 in between can rotate between the other 5 confederations (really 4 since OFC doesn't have a capable host.. remember that Australia is part of the AFC).

That sounds right.

Agreed.

Excellent points

So I change my predictions:

2026: North America - United States

2030: Europe - England

2034: South America - Argentina-Uruguay

2038: Asia - China

Unless Morocco steps up, this is North America's for taking. But the question is, should NA get it by default? I don't see any compelling reason to go to Mexico for a third time or to return to US so soon. FIFA may like Canada but to award the crown jewel to them straight after Qatar, not likely, especially if Canada's national team doesn't improve a lot and qualify for the WC. I've said earlier that FIFA may ditch their rotation rule if it suits them, after all it was created specifically only for (South) Africa to get 2010 and Brazil 2014. Europe could well host in 2026, so:

2026 England or Spain

2030 Argentina/Uruguay

2034 China

FIFA may ditch their rotation rule if it suits them

Indeed.

They changed the system to ensure an African and South American World Cup, but that led to dangerously little competition at the bidding stage, especially for 2014. For 2018 they changed to what ought to have been a sensible system - i.e. you can't bid if your federation has hosted either of the two previous tournaments. That ensured things were spread around nicely, but also ensured competition at the bidding stage. Unfortunately, any system is only as good as the people running it, and FIFA botched the 2018 process firstly by bundling 2022 into the same voting session, and secondly by doing what they do best (feathering their own nests).

If FIFA wants Europe for 2026, that's what they'll get. I don't know how much appetite there is in Spain or England to bid though.

Unless Morocco steps up, this is North America's for taking. But the question is, should NA get it by default? I don't see any compelling reason to go to Mexico for a third time or to return to US so soon. FIFA may like Canada but to award the crown jewel to them straight after Qatar, not likely, especially if Canada's national team doesn't improve a lot and qualify for the WC. I've said earlier that FIFA may ditch their rotation rule if it suits them, after all it was created specifically only for (South) Africa to get 2010 and Brazil 2014. Europe could well host in 2026, so:

2026 England or Spain

2030 Argentina/Uruguay

2034 China

No love for North America? Why the hesitation to return to the continent where since the last North American World Cup, you'll have had 2 in South American (understandable if Argentina/Uruguay have the goods for 2030) and then 3 in Asia. I don't see that happening. If 2026 and 2030 get awarded together, FIFA needs to make the ground rules clear and you're right, they may very well say that Europe is eligible for 2026. But that almost seems like 1 big crazy free for all. It might make for a saner process to say no Europe or Asia for 2026 which puts North America in the driver's seat and then make 2030 a contest only for Europe. And if they aren't interested and/or don't want Argentina for 2030, centennial be damned, I think that's what has to happen.

No love for North America? Why the hesitation to return to the continent where since the last North American World Cup, you'll have had 2 in South American (understandable if Argentina/Uruguay have the goods for 2030) and then 3 in Asia. I don't see that happening. If 2026 and 2030 get awarded together, FIFA needs to make the ground rules clear and you're right, they may very well say that Europe is eligible for 2026. But that almost seems like 1 big crazy free for all. It might make for a saner process to say no Europe or Asia for 2026 which puts North America in the driver's seat and then make 2030 a contest only for Europe. And if they aren't interested and/or don't want Argentina for 2030, centennial be damned, I think that's what has to happen.

FIFA has said two worlds cups will never be awarded together again.