FISU's Universiades

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today the FISU take the decission to award Harbin for 2009 Winter Universiade and Belgrade with the Summer Universiade in the same year.

Is that official? I've gotta admit, the Universiades have virtually no profile here in Australia. I've been trawling through the overnight sports news reports here, and I haven't found any single mention of this news.

I assume the Harbin boosters will be filling us in later in the day.

Today the FISU take the decission to award Harbin for 2009 Winter Universiade and Belgrade with the Summer Universiade in the same year.

Congratulations to Harbin in winning the right to host the 2009 Winter Universiade Games!  :)

I really had wanted Erzurum to be given a chance to host an internationally well known competition as it would have be the first time a city in eastern Turkey be hosting an event that large on a sports event. Oh well, perhaps we may have better luck 2011 should Erzurum decide to bid for it once more!

On the bright note, Izmir will be hosting the Summer Universiade Games later on this year, so I'm looing forward to that!  :)

Hi, guys. Long time no message here. Now that the 2009 Universiades have been given away, the race for the 2011 versions begins.

I don't know whether Calgary or another Canadian city will try to host one or not in the future.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I read in the Edmonton Sun today that Edmonton will be bidding for the 2011 Universiade.  Also noted in the article that Montreal and Taiwan are also bidding.

For Canada, it is going to get ugly again. According to the Calgary Herald and Sun, it seems that Calgary wants to bid for the 2011 WINTER Universiade with one other. Try this: KAMLOOPS.

With Edmonton in the mix for the 2011 SUMMER Universiade, this is only what I have to say about this whole potential scenario:  :help:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Does anyone know the news on the whole Canadian Bidding for the 2011 Universiades?

No concrete news that I'm aware of yet. I assume that there will be a bid somewhere, but it is not set in stone.

Edmonton is in. Here's a quote from the Edmonton Journal from yesterday.....

"Mayor Stephen Mandel said he was pleased to hear people praise Edmonton's facilities and delighted with the life the event injected into the city.

Now, he said, Edmonton is pursuing the 2011 Universiade Games and is talking to masters groups about other events, such as major track and field meets."

"Mayor Stephen Mandel said he was pleased to hear people praise Edmonton's facilities and delighted with the life the event injected into the city.

Now, he said, Edmonton is pursuing the 2011 Universiade Games and is talking to masters groups about other events, such as major track and field meets."

With that, I wonder if Calgary's decision to go for the 2014 Commonwealth Games had something to do this piece of news. The city was rumored to want to bid for the 2011 Winter Universiade. If it wanted to do that, it would have to compete against Edmonton for it. No country can bid for both Universiades for a same year.

Now that the 2005 Summer Universiade is about to officially get underway, I'm sure those from Bangkok are going to see how it is operated throughout the Games.

• 2 months later...

Well, the CBC has now confirmed that Edmonton will try to get the 2011 Summer Universiade:

Edmonton Vying To Host World University Games

Archived