Nine candidate cities competing...

The IOC Executive Board today confirmed the following cities, proposed by their respective National Olympic Committees, as candidates to host the 13th Olympic Congress in 2009: Athens (GRE), Busan (KOR), Cairo (EGY), Copenhagen (DEN), Lausanne (SUI), Mexico City (MEX), Riga (LAT), Taipei (TPE) and Singapore (SIN).

At the 118th IOC Session in Turin next February, one of the cities will be chosen to stage the Congress, together with the meetings of the Executive Board and the 121st IOC Session.

Convened on the initiative of President Rogge, the 13th Olympic Congress will bring together all the constituent parties of the Olympic Movement to study and discuss the current functioning of the Movement and define the main development axes for the future.

What do you think about this? Wich city should host this Congress and the 121 IOC Session?

My favourites: Cairo, Riga and Mexico City. :)

Mexico City is the best bet.

How appropriate to announce the next North American Olympics in North America!  :wwww:  :unclesam:

cape town avoided hosting the session as it was not sure at the time if it would actually bid for 2016...

The IOC won't go to a 'New Frontier' in 2016... :rolleyes: North America or Asia sounds to be the hosters of 2016, with NYC/Chicago and Tokyo ad frontrunners (more NYC than Tokyo because Asia will just host in 2008)

I would go with Cairo, Riga, Copenhagen, or Busan....the closer to my time zone would be better though lol...because something tells me I am going to want to watch the final presentations and final vote announcement in the 2016 race in particular.....so in this respect Mexico City would be best lol

I would go with Cairo, Riga, Copenhagen, or Busan....the closer to my time zone would be better though lol...because something tells me I am going to want to watch the final presentations and final vote announcement in the 2016 race in particular.....so in this respect Mexico City would be best lol

The atmosphere in Cairo will be incomparable! A mix of African/Arabian city, Cairo is fantastic! :)

I like Copenhagen to host this one. However, is Busan really trying to get both IOC Session and Congress? I think the last time this occurred was in 1981 in Germany.

I like Copenhagen to host this one. However, is Busan really trying to get both IOC Session and Congress? I think the last time this occurred was in 1981 in Germany.

The city that will host the 13th Congress will host also the IOC Session of 2009, so if Busan is bidding I think it will take both :upside: GO CAIRO 2009! :P

Cairo - doubtful

Mexico City - absolutely not, Vancouver a year later

Copenhagen - possible

Riga - my favourite

Busan - not likely, 2014

Singapore - HAHAHA

Taipei - would be nice, but right after 2008 in Beijing is doubtful

Athens - nope - 2004

Lausanne - probably the winner

Cairo - doubtful

Mexico City - absolutely not, Vancouver a year later

Copenhagen - possible

Riga - my favourite

Busan - not likely, 2014

Singapore - HAHAHA

Taipei - would be nice, but right after 2008 in Beijing is doubtful

Athens - nope - 2004

Lausanne - probably the winner

Lausanne? This city hosts a lot of sessions each year, it have to leave other cities the posibility of host an IOC Session! :rolleyes: Cairo, Riga or Copenhaguen deserves more the IOC Session than Lausanne! :verysad:

Cairo _ possible. More of an IOC session city than an actual games host anyway.

Mexico City _ unlikely

Copenhagen _ A good chance

Riga _ A good chance

Busan _ Not if Korea really wants a winter or summer games soon

Singapore _ a second session so soon? Not bloody likely.

Taipei _ Yeah, like China would be keen on that.

Athens _ Possible but unlikely. The IOC delegates have probably had their fill of Greece lately.

Lausanne _ No, the point is to get away from "head office"

I'd therefore see it as a race between Cairo, Copenhagen or Riga.

I'd therefore see it as a race between Cairo, Copenhagen or Riga.

Yeah I think so, because Athens hosted the Session of 2004, Singapore the 2005 one, Beijing will host in 2008 (so no Busan or Taipei), Mexico City is unlikely and Lausanne host little sessions each tearm... :)

Cairo - Maybe, would be ok, but let the area settle down first

Mexico City - No, not with 2010 in NA

Copenhagen - Good Choice, big city but not big enough for Olympics

Riga - Maybe, they are hosting the 2006 IIHF World Championship so lets see how that goes

Busan - Not with PyeongChang

Singapore - right...

Taipei - No, not with 2008 in there mother country

Athens - I could see this as the city

Lausanne - Why, they are always there, get away from your HQ

Cairo - Maybe, would be ok, but let the area settle down first

Mexico City - No, not with 2010 in NA

Copenhagen - Good Choice, big city but not big enough for Olympics

Riga - Maybe, they are hosting the 2006 IIHF World Championship so lets see how that goes

Busan - Not with PyeongChang

Singapore - right...

Taipei - No, not with 2008 in there mother country

Athens - I could see this as the city

Lausanne - Why, they are always there, get away from your HQ

Ryan, it's NOT about going for the Olympics.  It's about being host city for the IOC Session or meetings only.

I would love to see the Olympic congress in a new place like Cairo of Riga

well, you and mikel could wait in a street corner in Cairo for it to happen.   :wink:

:suspect: well, you could wait in a street corner in LA for the 2018 WC Opening Ceremony, but...      WAIT SAT! :laugh:

Cairo - Iffy

Mexico - 2 years after Guatemala 07?

Riga - Maybe

Busan - Maybe, but they were just in Beijing the year before.

Singapore - Repeat of 05

Taipei - A year after Beijing 08?

Athens - Repeat of 04

Lausanne - Down the street?

Copenhagen - Bingo!  Timing seems right for this and they have modern conference infrastructure with luxury hotel facilities.  That's what its all about.  The goodie bags, the spas, the shopping and the food at the receptions.

Copenhagen is part of the "bestcities.net" conference alliance program which also includes Singapore, Vancouver and 5 other popular meeting cities.

Cairo - Iffy

Mexico - 2 years after Guatemala 07?

Riga - Maybe

Busan - Maybe, but they were just in Beijing the year before.

Singapore - Repeat of 05

Taipei - A year after Beijing 08?

Athens - Repeat of 04

Lausanne - Down the street?

Copenhagen - Bingo!  Timing seems right for this and they have modern conference infrastructure with luxury hotel facilities.  That's what its all about.  The goodie bags, the spas, the shopping and the food at the receptions.

Copenhagen is part of the "bestcities.net" conference alliance program which also includes Singapore, Vancouver and 5 other popular meeting cities.

BestCities.net has these world cities under it for "premier meeting destinations:"

Cape Town

Copenhagen

Dubai

Edinburgh

Melbourne

San Juan

Singapore

Vancouver

Archived