It Is Moscow Verses Singapore

2010 Youth Olympics  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will win

• Moscow
    • Singapore

i stand corrected then :P

thank you cfm Jeremie for that clarification which i would imagine a first hand experience/account?

Indeed.

And yes Paris was lacking a powerful selling line. Basically, Paris was "boring". Technical strength alone was not enough, especially with candidate cities with more or less technically equivalent bids.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check this out everyone, an article which appeared in Singapore's Straits Times today:

Moscow criticises S'pore heat

But S'pore officials refuse to make negative remarks about bid rival

By Wang Meng Meng

MOSCOW has upped the ante in the race with Singapore to host the inaugural Youth Olympic Games (YOG) in 2010. Moscow's 71-year-old mayor Yuri Luzhkov told Reuters of his concerns about holding strenuous competitions for young athletes in Singapore's tropical conditions. A New York-based paediatric expert, Ljiljana Dimitrijevic, was quoted by reporter Gennady Fyodorov as saying: 'Heat and humidity are definitely big risk factors and, taking into account that the games will be staged in the summer, Moscow looks a more preferable choice than Singapore.'

But IOC Executive Board member Ng Ser Miang, one of the driving forces behind Singapore's bid, refused to be drawn into a war of words. He said: 'I trust that my IOC colleagues will base their evaluation on informed reports from the IOC evaluation commission and not just on fiction or hearsay. To disparage another city's bid is against the IOC's bidding rules. We could have got experts to say things in our favour, but we didn't. Singapore has full respect for its competitors and will not make negative remarks about other bidding cities. The IOC evaluation commission had not raised any concerns about our weather. Singapore has wonderful summer weather. All the Olympic sports can be practised here.'

IOC members are set to vote by post on which country wins the bid, with the result due to be announced on Feb 21.

Fyodorov also wrote that 'some IOC members feel staging the Youth Games will require greater care and preparation than fully fledged Olympics', leveraging on Moscow's previous experience at holding the the boycott-affected 1980 Olympic Games. Mayor Luzhkov also believes a multi-national YOG would benefit Muscovites by providing a lesson in racial tolerance. 'It would teach many of our citizens, especially young people, to be more tolerant towards people with different racial, religious and ethnic backgrounds,' he said. Ng responded: 'Singapore has a multi-racial society and is one of the safest countries in the world where young and old can move around freely.'

Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge has insisted previously that the winning host should be a city that is unlikely to ever host the Olympics. But Luzhkov told Reuters: 'Beijing and Singapore are in Asia. To be more precise, they're both located in South-east Asia. Still, people don't question Singapore's right to host the Youth Olympics just two years after Beijing.' Beijing will host the Summer Olympics in August. To this, Minister for Defence and Singapore National Olympic Council president Teo Chee Hean said: 'Moscow had already hosted the Olympics in 1980 and will host the Winter Olympics in 2014. 'So I hope the IOC will allow Singapore the chance to show what we can do with the YOG.'

Win or lose, Ng said that Singapore would 'make a lot of friends' along the way. He said: 'We are doing our bit in the Olympic spirit, which values excellence, respect and friendship.'

Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge has insisted previously that the winning host should be a city that is unlikely to ever host the Olympics. But Luzhkov told Reuters: 'Beijing and Singapore are in Asia. To be more precise, they're both located in South-east Asia.

No surprise , there. Beijing is in North East Asia not south. Well he had failed to mention Athens , Turin , London & Sochi are all in Europe , we can fight fire with fire.

No surprise , there. Beijing is in North East Asia not south. Well he had failed to mention Athens , Turin , London & Sochi are all in Europe , we can fight fire with fire.

Based on the second part of his quote " Still, people don't question Singapore's right to host the Youth Olympics just two years after Beijing", I think he was actually making the point that Sochi shouldn't prevent Moscow from hosting.

Anyhow, I think it's besides the point.

The question is not so much a question of continental rotation or not, of whether the cities are capable of hosting the Games or not but rather is the IOC willing to let "smaller" cities host the YOG or will it go with the "traditional" hosts.

As I have stated before, I think it woul dbe a great symbol for the YOG to start in Singapore.

I voted for Moscow.

they surely know how to make it, and it would be guarnteed success.

Singapore is also too small, they don't have culture for sports there: have you heard of any singapore sportsman?

There's nothing wrong in you voting for Moscow. But...You are looking at the YOGs from the SOG or WOGs. I think there's a great different to the level of implementation and integration of things. Singapore being a small country would be in a better position to do it as a youth type of games that doesn't require those mega infrastructure but paraphenalias to teach them to lead their ways in sports. Culturally, the Singapore community as earlier said here is working to join in the games --- what a go way to start.

I don't think adding more ingredient to the Moscow experiences and infrastructure is not what really would swing it for it. I do think a better understanding of how the kids feel about sports and what's best for them should be the proper consderation.

All things be equal, I would consider Singapore to be more a good place to start the YOGs 2010.

Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge has insisted previously that the winning host should be a city that is unlikely to ever host the Olympics. But Luzhkov told Reuters: 'Beijing and Singapore are in Asia. To be more precise, they're both located in South-east Asia. Still, people don't question Singapore's right to host the Youth Olympics just two years after Beijing.'

I thought Rogge's comment deals directly with one of the reasons the YOG were made in the first place was to help spread Olympism and to cities who could not host the Olympics otherwise.

Luzhkov's comment is just too funny as he fails to mention that if Moscow were to win, the country will have won 2 Olympic bids in LESS THAN A YEAR, let alone a continent hosting the games 2 years apart.

Even the blind man can see it that that YOGs is better off as a consideration for Singapore than Moscow by this time. The timing is really in favour of the Asian country if we have to consider hosting of Games -- as Russia would be fighting to host two Olympics Games consecutively, dragging Sochi on one hand and the YOGs on the other. To me this is not wit but display of prowess rather non needed thing in sports. We shouldn't see this as a contest of superiority between both countries and, I hope Moscow knows what that means.

Even the blind man can see it that that YOGs is better off as a consideration for Singapore than Moscow by this time. The timing is really in favour of the Asian country if we have to consider hosting of Games -- as Russia would be fighting to host two Olympics Games consecutively, dragging Sochi on one hand and the YOGs on the other. To me this is not wit but display of prowess rather non needed thing in sports. We shouldn't see this as a contest of superiority between both countries and, I hope Moscow knows what that means.

You don't get it.

The main question is: which city, within the less than two and a half years left to the inaugural YOG, has the greatest capability of staging the Games? All other considerations ("It's Asia's turn", "I don't like Moscow"...) are secondary.

Clearly, Moscow is one step ahead of Singapore at the present time (all the venues more or less ready including YOV, loads of experience to build on).

This being said, it's clear that from the last IOC Evalution Report, that Singapore does not present significant risk and would be a great host as well. In which case I do think that Singapore hosting the inaugural YOG would be a greater symbol than Moscow (but there is little question in my mind that Russia would have zero problem hosting both the YOG and the 2014 Olympics: the YOG budget represents a tiny portion of the 2014 budget, the Russian federation could support it).

You don't get it.

The main question is: which city, within the less than two and a half years left to the inaugural YOG, has the greatest capability of staging the Games? All other considerations ("It's Asia's turn", "I don't like Moscow"...) are secondary.

Clearly, Moscow is one step ahead of Singapore at the present time (all the venues more or less ready including YOV, loads of experience to build on).

This being said, it's clear that from the last IOC Evalution Report, that Singapore does not present significant risk and would be a great host as well. In which case I do think that Singapore hosting the inaugural YOG would be a greater symbol than Moscow (but there is little question in my mind that Russia would have zero problem hosting both the YOG and the 2014 Olympics: the YOG budget represents a tiny portion of the 2014 budget, the Russian federation could support it).

If I should agree with you on that one that means Russia is fighting to host two games consecutively when another nation can do well in the bid race. Would that be fair games? I still think there are things the Russians have to grapple with, like Seeing YOGs as equivalent to the main Olympic, trying to put to idea the use of mega infrastruture for something so small in comparison --- I even wonder if some of those kids would run a 400m field without compelled to, etc.

Sorry to say, I haven't read where it was written in this forum that it's Asia turn. Besides, Singapore is highly capable of hosting the games, though, being a small country in term of size, which is totally contraditory of the point. I for one see this as an opportunity for Singapore to prove what it's capable of doing in organising games and of which they can do with more than enthusiasm.

All been well said about the Russians' experiences and infrastruture. I don think Singapore infrastruture is outright outdated either. Let's be realistic about this. If children are the focus on these games, much priority should be given to those areas of sports with carefulness reaching for those things which would build them up and upon to be on by them. Mega infrastructure is not one of them, on this context, is for impressionable idea of which is totally absurd while comparing Singapore to Moscow. Gigantic structural buildings are taking place in Moscow but, these are far from the usefulness of sports to the ordinary youths. Sports as forms of development yet Singapore would be a new frontier.

If YOGs actually represent a small portion of the budget, then Singapore being a small country in term of land mass with one of the word class infrastructure is more placed to host the youth Olympic while Moscow for the big Olympic events. And, we have seen enough of Russia hosting this or that.

All these being relevance to sport without border, the aforesaid are actually a yard stick on how youth sports developement require different cultural and racial background to grow. Wheeling on from nation to nation bringing together people of different background. I believe we have to see beyond mega infrastruture in this YOGs.

Thank you.

I even wonder if some of those kids would run a 400m field without compelled to, etc.

What does that mean?

James, you have to learn to read, listen and think.

I never said Singapore was not capable of or that its infrastructure was outdated.

What I said is based on facts (read Singapore and Moscow bid books as well as the various IOC reports): at the moment, Moscow has more infrastructure related to its YOG concepts than Singapore (not by much, I gladly admit) as well as more experience. And BTW, should you actually read an actual document, you would see that Moscow, besides its Olympic Stadium for the Ceremonies, is not really going to use "mega structure" and that its plan is in line with what the IOC has in mind for the YOG concept.

Again, based on the last IOC report, it seems that Singapore is indeed more than capable of hosting, in which case I would like for them to host. But a Moscow victory wouldn't be a scandal..

"And, we have seen enough of Russia hosting this or that."

Hmm I wonder how many events you have seen hosted by Russia....

And BTW, should you actually read an actual document, you would see that Moscow, besides its Olympic Stadium for the Ceremonies, is not really going to use "mega structure" and that its plan is in line with what the IOC has in mind for the YOG concept.

Well Singapore's biggest venue is 27 000 . And that is the floating stadia.

What does that mean?

James, you have to learn to read, listen and think.

I never said Singapore was not capable of or that its infrastructure was outdated.

What I said is based on facts (read Singapore and Moscow bid books as well as the various IOC reports): at the moment, Moscow has more infrastructure related to its YOG concepts than Singapore (not by much, I gladly admit) as well as more experience. And BTW, should you actually read an actual document, you would see that Moscow, besides its Olympic Stadium for the Ceremonies, is not really going to use "mega structure" and that its plan is in line with what the IOC has in mind for the YOG concept.

Again, based on the last IOC report, it seems that Singapore is indeed more than capable of hosting, in which case I would like for them to host. But a Moscow victory wouldn't be a scandal..

"And, we have seen enough of Russia hosting this or that."

Hmm I wonder how many events you have seen hosted by Russia....

Am so glad it has really boiled down to the truth of the matter. To respont to your first line of comments, it means the kids are to young to run that if mega idea is put into place as you are concentrating on it. For you information it was for instance.

I didn't say either that you said Singapore infrastructure was outdated. I was just bringing into place of how Singapore bid is not inferior to Moscow.

The fact also never said Singapore was not going to win. Thank you for saying that the IOC said that Singapore was more than capable and that coupled with Moscow bragging would mean something meaningful for the YOGs.

If we haven't see enough of Russia then, I can refer you back to your one time post:

Wrestling World Champs in 1995 and 2002,

- Equestrian World Cup events from 1995 to 2004

- Cycling-Track European Champs in 1996,

- Modern Pentathlon European Champs in 1997,

- Wrestling European Champs in 2000,

- Swimming World Champs in short pool in 2002,

- Fencing European Champs in 2002,

- Modern Pentathlon World Champs in 2005

And, you shouldn't be angry over that.

If the real concept behind the Yogs is a global movement to educate youth beyond borders and one country is pre-occupied with another thing so, why not let the one which is less busy and can do well host the games for God sake! You see, influence in this present world makes me sick cos it's a clique thing. If you don't belong you're gonna lose. That been said, I don't think somebody is even going to think of Moscow winning is a scandal but to me an idea to impress.

In case anyone here has not read this Reuters report yet:

SINGAPORE, Feb 7 - Small is beautiful, or so Singapore hopes to convince members of the International Olympic Committee when they vote on the site of the inaugural Youth Games this month.

"The ideals and values of the Youth Olympics are tailor-made for small cities -- not just Singapore but small cities around the world," Teo Ser Luck, the leader of the city-state's bid, told Reuters in an interview.

Singapore, quietly confident that it can see off the bid of its only rival Moscow thanks to its size, its reputation for efficiency and its good transport system, has already started work on venues that could be used for the 2010 Games.

"We're efficient, we're effective, we're multicultural. And safety is another big plus point," said Teo. "We'll sell ourselves as one big Games village."

Construction in Singapore started last week on 5,000-bed university residences, which would be used for a Youth Olympic Village.

The $423-million project will be completed by February 2010, and would be within 30 minutes of all the sports venues.

YOUNG NATION

"I am confident that we can deliver a high-quality, memorable event that will celebrate the spirit of the Games, strengthen the Olympic movement leave a lasting impact on young people around the world," Prime Minister Lee Hsieng Loong said in a statement.

"We are a young nation and a small city-state but we have built a trusted brand name internationally as a reliable partner, able to get things done," he said.

Singapore, with a population of just 4.6 million, is positioning itself as a city that might not have a chance to host a full Olympics and so would benefit from the smaller youth event, which will have 3,500 athletes aged 14-18 competing in 26 sports.

"It would leave an Olympic legacy -- just deciding to bid for it has created a buzz," Teo said. "This is the closest we can get."

The city-state is redeveloping its national stadium into a sports complex with a 50,000-seater arena, though this will not be ready until 2011.

Instead, it plans to use its Bishan stadium, which hosts soccer games and athletics competitions and is being upgraded to hold 10,000 seats.

Teo said the IOC did not want big stadiums, to create a more comfortable atmosphere for the young athletes, so Singapore was planning to use existing facilities spread throughout the island's heartland of apartments blocks and tropical vegetation.

FLOATING PLATFORM

Opening and closing ceremonies would be held on a floating platform overlooking Singapore's harbour.

Moscow's mayor Yuri Luzhkov told Reuters in an interview last week that his city already had all the facilities to hold the event.

The Russian capital lost a bid to stage the 2012 Olympic Games to London, but has experience in hosting the boycott-affected Games in 1980.

Singapore has seen little in the way of Olympic success since 1960, when Tan Howe Liang won a silver for weightlifting, but has twice hosted the biennial Southeast Asian Games, with more athletes than the Youth Olympics, and will host them again in 2013.

Singapore is the venue for Formula One's first night race in September, on public roads, and is hoping for spin-offs such as developing a motor sports industry.

The Youth Olympics would also fit in with a government strategy of boosting tourism.

IOC members will vote by post to decide the venue with the result provisionally scheduled to be announced on Feb. 21.

Athletes in Singapore share the optimism about success. "I'd feel very honoured. It's impossible for us to hold the Olympic Games, and we'd be well connected with the rest of the world," said Amanda Lim, a 15-year-old swimmer, who hopes to compete for Singapore in 2010.

yeah. honestly i feel that singapore, though small, is eager to learn and not fall back on its laurels like moscow. although the bigger sporting powers might be swayed by sharapova's support for the moscow bid, i think that the only Olympics Moscow/Russia will host are Sochi 2014 and Olympique Marseille

The soul of these Youth sports, to me, belong to Singapore the most if one comes to look at the timing and objectives relative to the Yogs.

With all reasonable doubt, I think Moscow chance can not be ruled out completly.

Just two more days until the announcement, right? I really would love to see Singapore get them. I think it would set an example of what the Youth Olympics are all about. Moscow is an awesome city, but it just would be more fitting for Singapore to host.

That announcement could be the watershed moment of where potentially this new Olympic idea will go in the near future.

Yeap now that the results are out, I am sure many many more cities will be doing some soul-searching now and reassessing their true ability to step up to the plate. Anywhere from Anchorage to Auckland!