Osaka 2007

A big surprise for the German team in the men's discus competition: Robert Harting from Berlin has won the silver medal. Harting plans to become world champion in his hometown Berlin in 2009, and I guess that this is a realistic ambition. But for 2007, Gerd Kanter (EST) is the world champion, Rutger Smith (NED) has won bronze. Previous world champion and current Olympic and European champion Virgilijus Alekna (LTU) has performed remarkably bad and finished only fourth.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL. What are these "facts" that we're supposedly "being plain ignorant to?"

You talk about facts, and yet you didn't provide a single one in that drivel that you just posted.

I stated them all over in my post, and if you have any sense of logic in your mind you should be able to draw your own conclusions, but before that I advice you to learn how to read better.

August 28th results, with 2 sweeps.

Women's Pole Vault

1. Yelena Isinbaeva (Russia) -> 4.80m

2. Katerina BADUROVÁ (Czech Republic) -> 4.75m (NR)

3. Svetlana Feofanova (Russia) -> 4.75m

Men's Discus Throw

1. Gerd Kanter (Estonia) -> 68.94m

2. Robert Harting (Germany) -> 66.68m

3. Rutger Smith (Netherlands) -> 66.42m

Women's Long Jump

1. Tatyana Lebedeva (Russia) -> 7.03m

2. Lyudmila Kolchanova (Russia) -> 6.92m

3. Tatyana Kotova (Russia) -> 6.90m (SB)

Men's 3,000m Steeplechase

1. Brimin Kiprop Kipruto (Kenya) -> 8:13.82

2. Ezekiel Kemboi (Kenya) -> 8:16.94

3. Richard Kipkemboi Mateelong (Kenya) -> 8:17.59

Women's 800m

1. Janeth Jepkosgei (Kenya) -> 1:56.04 (WL)

2. Hasna Benhassi (Morocco) -> 1:56.99

3. Mayte MARTÍNEZ (Spain) -> 1:57.62 (PB)

Men's 400m Hurdles

1. Kerron Clement (USA) -> 47.61 sec (WL)

2. Felix SÁNCHEZ (Dominican Republic) -> 48.01 sec

3. Marek Plawgo (Poland) -> 48.12 sec (NR)

August 29th (Day 5) medal events.

- Men's High Jump

- Women's Discus Throw

- Women's 100m Hurdles

- Women's 400m

- Men's 1,500m

I stated them all over in my post, and if you have any sense of logic in your mind you should be able to draw your own conclusions, but before that I advice you to learn how to read better.

Those weren't facts but only suspicions. If you'd go through with your rationale, then you also had to suspect every 1980s athlete of doping, including the athletes of your own home country. By the way: You aren't from Sweden and usually appear under the nickname Pillan by chance?

However, this is the last you'll hear from me on this subject. As I said: We're discussing about Osaka 2007 here -- and not about imaginary doping cases of the past.

Medal tally, after Day 4 events.

1. USA -> 3 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze

2. Russia -> 3 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze

3. Kenya -> 3 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze

4. Ethiopia -> 2 gold, 1 silver

5. Belarus -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

6. Jamaica -> 1 gold, 1 bronze

7. (tie) Ecuador -> 1 gold

7. (tie) Estonia -> 1 gold

7. (tie) New Zealand -> 1 gold

7. (tie) Portugal -> 1 gold

7. (tie) Sweden -> 1 gold

12. (tie) Germany -> 1 silver, 1 bronze

12. (tie) Spain -> 1 silver, 1 bronze

14. (tie) Bahamas -> 1 silver

14. (tie) Brazil -> 1 silver

14. (tie) Czech Republic -> 1 silver

14. (tie) Dominican Republic -> 1 silver

14. (tie) Morocco -> 1 silver

14. (tie) Qatar -> 1 silver

14. (tie) Slovenia -> 1 silver

14. (tie) Turkey -> 1 silver

14. (tie) Ukraine -> 1 silver

23. (tie) Great Britain -> 1 bronze

23. (tie) Netherlands -> 1 bronze

23. (tie) Poland -> 1 bronze

23. (tie) Slovakia -> 1 bronze

23. (tie) Switzerland -> 1 bronze

23. (tie) Tunisia -> 1 bronze

Nice try, Lee. Nope. I think that's Walter Davis. Jonathan Edwards is SUPPOSED to be the medal-giver but that guy looks Japanese. Anyway, won't make or break my day if I don't know who the real J. Edwards is!! :P

I actually thought you were joking when you said that you didn't know who Jonathan Edwards was...I know I was.

I have met Jonathan Edwards on a few occasions. I must admit to being slightly surprised that you didn't know who he was. He dominated the triple jump for quite some time and was Olympic champion and world record holder a tthe event.

Nice try, Lee. Nope. I think that's Walter Davis. Jonathan Edwards is SUPPOSED to be the medal-giver but that guy looks Japanese. Anyway, won't make or break my day if I don't know who the real J. Edwards is!! :P

If his sporting record doesn't ring a bell, then, if you saw the 2014 host city announcement ceremony, you were bound to bump on Edwards doing the hosting honours alongside with a female local presenter ;)

Women's Long Jump

1. Tatyana Lebedeva (Russia) -> 7.03m

2. Lyudmila Kolchanova (Russia) -> 6.92m

3. Tatyana Kotova (Russia) -> 6.90m (SB)

Naide Gomes only 3 centimetres away from bronze :( She had a silver spot since her first jump (after Lebedeva, that is) and lost it for the remaining Russian brigade in their last attempts. Her qualification jump (6.96m) would have given her the silver.

Like Boney M used to sing: "Oh, those Russians" :P

However, this is the last you'll hear from me on this subject. As I said: We're discussing about Osaka 2007 here -- and not about imaginary doping cases of the past.

Yes, you are right, and I will not discuss it further either after this post. I agree with you that there is no "proof" of my claims, but I would hardly call it "imaginary" since in the world of athletics any world record from the 80s is connected and widely believed to be a result of heavy organised doping mainly due to the, at the time, primitive ways of discovering doping. Blood doping wasn't even forbidden until '86, and other forms of doping were made illegal in '90. These forms were still hard to detect however, and many ways of doping weren't detectable until 2000, and still today there are things to improve.

I just ask people not to be naive.

Case closed.

Tonight will be Canada's best hope for a medal whit Perdita Felicien and Angela Whyte in the women's 100mH. All the best, girls!

August 29th (Day 5) results.

Men's High Jump

1. Donald Thomas (Bahamas) -> 2.35m (WL)

2. Yaroslav Rybakov (Russia) -> 2.35m (WL)

3. Kyriakos Ioannou (Cyprus) -> 2.35m (WL)

Women's Discus Throw

1. Franka Dietzsch (Germany) -> 66.61m

2. Darya Pishchalnikova (Russia) -> 65.78m (PB)

3. Yarelis Barrios (Cuba) -> 63.90m (PB)

Women's 100m Hurdles

1. Michelle Perry (USA) -> 12.46 sec

2. Perdita Felicien (Canada) -> 12.49 sec (SB)

3. Delloreen Ennis-London (Jamaica) -> 12.50 sec (PB)

Women's 400m

1. Christine Ohuruogu (Great Britain) -> 49.61 sec (PB)

2. Nicola Sanders (Great Britain) -> 49.65 sec (PB)

3. Novlene Williams (Jamaica) -> 49.66 sec (SB)

Men's 1,500m

1. Bernard Lagat (USA) -> 3:34.77

2. Rashid Ramzi (Bahrain) -> 3:35.00 (SB)

3. Shedrack Kibet Korir (Kenya) -> 3:35.04

Day 6 (August 30th) medal events.

- Women's Hammer Throw

- Women's 400m Hurdles

- Men's Long Jump

- Men's 200m

Medal tally, after Day 5.

1. USA -> 5 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze

2. Russia -> 3 gold, 4 silver, 2 bronze

3. Kenya -> 3 gold, 1 silver, 4 bronze

4. Ethiopia -> 2 gold, 1 silver

5. (tie) Belarus -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

5. (tie) Germany -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

5. (tie) Great Britain -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

8. Bahamas -> 1 gold, 1 silver

9. Jamaica -> 1 gold, 3 bronze

10. (tie) Ecuador -> 1 gold

10. (tie) Estonia -> 1 gold

10. (tie) New Zealand -> 1 gold

10. (tie) Portugal -> 1 gold

10. (tie) Sweden -> 1 gold

15. Spain -> 1 silver, 1 bronze

16. (tie) Bahrain -> 1 silver

16. (tie) Brazil -> 1 silver

16. (tie) Canada -> 1 silver

16. (tie) Czech Republic -> 1 silver

16. (tie) Dominican Republic -> 1 silver

16. (tie) Morocco -> 1 silver

16. (tie) Qatar -> 1 silver

16. (tie) Slovenia -> 1 silver

16. (tie) Turkey -> 1 silver

16. (tie) Ukraine -> 1 silver

26. (tie) Cuba -> 1 bronze

26. (tie) Cyprus -> 1 bronze

26. (tie) Netherlands -> 1 bronze

26. (tie) Poland -> 1 bronze

26. (tie) Slovakia -> 1 bronze

26. (tie) Switzerland -> 1 bronze

26. (tie) Tunisia -> 1 bronze

Men's High Jump

1. Donald Thomas (Bahamas) -> 2.35m (WL)

2. Yaroslav Rybakov (Russia) -> 2.35m (WL)

3. Kyriakos Ioannou (Cyprus) -> 2.35m (WL)

What happened to Stefan Holm?! :blink:

Women's 400m

1. Christine Ohuruogu (Great Britain) -> 49.61 sec (PB)

2. Nicola Sanders (Great Britain) -> 49.65 sec (PB)

3. Novlene Williams (Jamaica) -> 49.66 sec (SB)

Expected outcome, the British athletes were very strong. Great Britain is gonna climb a lot now on the medal and points table.

Men's 1,500m

1. Bernard Lagat (USA) -> 3:34.77

2. Rashid Ramzi (Bahrain) -> 3:35.00 (SB)

3. Shedrack Kibet Korir (Kenya) -> 3:35.04

As if the USA didn't have enough medals, now they have Lagat giving them more :lol:

Where's China? I thought next year's host would sweep everything? R they holding back? R their athletes training in the smog of Beijing? Or has the rest of the pack just gotten better than them? (Haven't been watching the coverage so I don't know how the Chinese athletes are doing.)

They've been pretty "discrete". But if nothing goes wrong they'll have a gold in the 110m hurdles.

Franka Dietzsch, aged 39 (!), has successfully defended her title and is the first three-times world champion in women's discus throw (having won in 1999, 2005 and 2007).

Eike Onnen's performance in men's high jump, however, was a big disappointment. After a very smooth start, he didn't manage to clear 2.30 and 2.33 m and thus finished only seventh.

Christina Obergföll, previously the clear favourite for the title in women's javelin throw, provided for a bad surprise, too. She wasn't able to pass the qualifying mark of 61 m (although having thrown more than 65 m in all competitions this year) and qualified for Friday's final only because there were enough competitors who performed even worse. Linda Stahl (62.80 m) surprisingly turned out as the best German thrower, followed by European champion Steffi Nerius (61.89 m).

Finally, German long jumper Christian Reif performed remarkably well, scoring the fourth-best result (8.19 m) of the qualification for tomorrow's final. Obviously he was encouraged by Bianca Kappler's surprising fifth rank in the women's competition yesterday.

So it was an exciting day from the German point of view again. One really can't say that the Osaka world championships are boring.

In fourth place, with a best jump of 2.33m.

Oh, then he didn't do that bad (his PB is 2.36)... it was the top three that did spectacularly, considering they reached a world lead mark. Poor Stefan, he hasn't been very lucky in outdoor World Championships (1999 - 10th; 2001 - 4th; 2003 - 2nd; 2005 - 7th; 2007 - 4th).

For Japan and Nigeria, that could change whit the women's marathon and the men's 4x100m, respectively.

Anyway, I saw the women's 100m hurdles live on the internet, and its amazing how f*****g close it was. Its nice to see Felicien back on form, thought, and she should be a contender in Beijing.

This as a very bad day for Sweden! None of Holm, Thörnblad and Kallur takes medal.

AND LOOK: MICHELLE PERRY SHOULD HAVE BEEN DISQUALIFIED!!!!!!! SHE RUN ON KALLURS LINE AND KALLUR SAID IT WAS DISTURBING!

PerrySanna3.jpg

PerrySanna2.jpg

PerrySanna1.jpg

PerrySanna.jpg

SWEDEN GIVE A PROTEST BUT THE OFFICIALS IN OSAKA WANT NOT TO SEE IT. THEY WILL NOT DO ANYTHING AGAINST THIS! SO FAR, PERRY IS THE MOST UNDESERVING WINNER IN THIS WCH! I´M MAAAD!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Did anyone see Kelly Sotherton's 2nd attack on Blonska in her interview with the BBC. Sha basically said that all the other Heptathletes know she is a cheat and refuse to support her or congratulate her. I can understand her frustration but I do agree with Michael Johnson when he says that it shouldn't be dominating her thoughts at this time. She should be enjoying her own success.

I personally think Johnson is correct. Whatever Blonska has done in the past, she has served her time and, to the best of our knowledge, has not failed any further tests. That is all that matters now.

Archived