Fifa 2007 Women's World Cup

Now, after a few hours of sleep, i think i should reduce my anger. I dont know, what kind of pre game statements have been made by the England players or officials, but here in Germany the players and others have said, that England "will be a real test". Silvia Neid said, that England has dramatically improved in the last months. Her Co-coach Ballweg claimed England is copying the German system. Of course Germany is the title holder and current European Champion, but every one, who has watched Womens football in recent years, knows, that Germany is only dominating against weak teams, they have been weakened by the absence of Wiegmann and Minnert. The middle field is no world class anymore.

So, if you put your opponent on better level as they really are, it is easy to achieve an outstanding result. Come on, even this the first World Cup for many years, you cant be satisfied with a probably out in the quarter final. You are England!!!

To Scotland, i would like to the Scottish fans at the EURO next year. From the teams i prefer France over Scotland and Italy. And of course you have to defend well, if you want to win a game. And if you dont have much self-confidence you always put the faith in the defense. Just for the records, here in Germany we call it Angsthasen-Fußball. But even at home Scotland plays no real attacking football.

To the last big tournaments: Didnt we feel all a little bit disappointed after the win for Greece. Yes it was great that a different nation has won the title, but no one was happy with they were playing. Nearly the same last year: the World Cup got much praise from abroad for the mood and atmosphere off the pitch. But lesser for the matches themselves.

Do you like that?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good result for Canada. If Australia loses to Norway then all we have to do is draw Australia. Ghana did give a good fight, but in the end they made too many mistakes defending.

The rest of today's matches are completed. Here they are.

Brazil: 4 - China: zero

br-lgflag.gif

And, one tie score.

Australia: 1 - Norway: 1

No matches to be played tomorrow. However, on the 17th, these matches will take place.

- Germany vs. Japan @ Hangzhou (8:00pm)

- England vs. Argentina @ Chengdu (8:00pm)

In fact, these two matches completes the Group A round. It is safe to say that Germany will move on to the Round of 16 from there.

another loss to new zealand but this time only 2-0! A far better result and from what i read looked more structured against Denmark compared to brazil

Well, there is also the fact that Brazil is a better team than Danemark. But anyway, its nice to see that New Zealand wasn't steamrolled a second time...

Well, no teams are currently qualified for the quarterfinal after two games. It does show the growing competition in women's Football (luckily the 11-0 thumping Germany gave Argentina was an isolated incident).

Well, there is also the fact that Brazil is a better team than Danemark. But anyway, its nice to see that New Zealand wasn't steamrolled a second time...

Well, no teams are currently qualified for the quarterfinal after two games. It does show the growing competition in women's Football (luckily the 11-0 thumping Germany gave Argentina was an isolated incident).

yes it was definately heartening to see a better fight from new zealand! You are right there is definately growing competition in womens football! This is good news

There's some interesting parallels in the performance of the German women's team now and the performance of the men's team at the last World Cup in Asia:

2002 in Japan, the men's team achieved a surprisingly clear victory in its opening match against a non-European team (8-0 against Saudi Arabia).

The next match was against an European team (Ireland), just like now in 2007 -- and after a hard fight, the Germans only achieved a draw (1-1) back then, too.

Additionally, Ireland tied Germany's final group match opponent Cameroon 1-1. Now, in 2007, the second German opponent England tied the third opponent Japan again. And: Germany's final group match opponent Cameroon defeated the first opponent Saudi Arabia only 1-0 -- exactly as the 2007 final group match opponent Japan against the first opponent Argentina.

So are the German girls repeating the story the boys experienced five years ago on the same continent?

In the final group match in 2002, Germany faced a non-European team again (Cameroon) -- and secured the ticket to the next round with a 2-0 victory. Maybe that's going to be Tuesday's result against Japan, too? ;)

But I really hope that the girls return to Germany not only with the title as Vice World Champion this time. ;)

So, if you put your opponent on better level as they really are, it is easy to achieve an outstanding result. Come on, even this the first World Cup for many years, you cant be satisfied with a probably out in the quarter final. You are England!!!

To be brutally honest, it is nice to go into a big football tournament with more realistic expectations than whenever the team's male counterparts take the field.

Today's matches are done. Here are the results.

Germany: 2 - Japan: zero

gm-lgflag.gif

England: 6 - Argentina: 1

UNKG0100.GIF

With Group A matches now complete, both GERMANY and ENGLAND move on to the Round of 16.

These following matches will be played tomorrow.

- Nigeria vs. USA @ Shanghai (8:00pm)

- North Korea vs. Sweden @ Tianjin (8:00pm)

Those two matches will complete the Group B round.

So the first two quarter-finalists are Germany and England.

Germany has won 2-0 against Japan, England has defeated the Argentineans soundly 6-1.

The Germans gave away a lot of brilliant scoring chances. How misleading the 11-0 against Argentina was... They have to be far more concentrated if they want to survive the quarter-final against North Korea or the USA.

I'm not sure it was that misleading. Argetina were very poor indeed against us this afternoon.

Of course, Argentina is a very weak team (at least currently) but not every team wins 11-0 against a weak team. Your team played 6-1, Japan even only 1-0 against Argentina. So one might have expected that the Germans would be phenomenally good in the other two group matches (which was not the case).

I would just like to say, well done England in getting to the Quarter Finals. Just enjoy it now and anything else is a bonus. I watched the match as I am on holiday at the moment (doing a bit of decorating). I thought it was a highly entertaining match but I then looked on the BBC forums and people are still negative about women plaing football... :(

I kept flicking over to the Germany - Japan match and that looked good too! Well done Germany and England in being the first Quarter Finalists - bring on North Korea or the USA! :blink:

That's not really fresh news, but obviously noone has noticed it yet: Obviously, the Danish team was spied on before its match against China last Wednesday.

See here

Smelly, isn't it?

The only other reason I can think of 2 men hiding behind a two-way mirror at these women is because they are perverts and if that was the case then they still need prosecuting!!!! :angry: Disgusting either way! It's fairly obvious that they were spying - what fools do they think we are?

The only other reason I can think of 2 men hiding behind a two-way mirror at these women is because they are perverts and if that was the case then they still need prosecuting!!!! :angry: Disgusting either way! It's fairly obvious that they were spying - what fools do they think we are?

Well, thank god FIFA has already met with China and decided they did not want to do anything about it. No prof, no reason to be upset....

Now, since other papers have picked up the story, they suddenly claim that will deal with it later.... :blink::lol:

Right...

Final scores for today are as follows.

USA: 1 - Nigeria: zero

us-lgflag.gif

Sweden: 2 - North Korea: 1

sw-lgflag.gif

As mentioned already, the USA and NORTH KOREA (by a 2-goal differential) move on to the QUARTERFINAL from Group B.

Two more matches tomorrow and I need to get my eyes checked. It seems that the last two groups are going to be finished one match at a time.

- Australia vs. Canada @ Chengdu (5:00pm)

- CHINA vs. New Zealand @ Tianjin (8:00pm)

(Note: I must have said it wrong in another post, when it comes to the knock-off stage.)

Archived